[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is your first group just the best by default?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1400551822593.jpg (117KB, 1000x284px) Image search: [Google]
1400551822593.jpg
117KB, 1000x284px
Is your first group just the best by default?
>>
>>43967286
No, not at all.
>>
>>43967286
No.

Your best group is your best group.

The group with your friends in it might not even be your best group
>>
>>43967286
God no. I might even go so far as to say that mine might've been my worst.
>>
>>43967363
I hope this is true. I recently moved away from all my close friends, and every Friday we'd play dnd. It was some of the best times I've had.
>>
>>43967286
it was the worse, a bunch of immature people and a couple incapable of making distinction between the game and real life
i was really happy to leave them, every session was amess and i think i started drinking because of them
>>
>>43967286
No, the best group is the one with which you build friendship over the years.

I'm not in touch with any of the members of my first group and I'm better off that way. They are all either crazy or drunks now.
>>
>>43967286
Fuck no.
For my first three years of TTRPGs our games were run by either a randumb That DM or a fucking sociopath who got booted out of school after threatening the whole place during an assembly.
All of us were teenage headcases, and some of us got better.
>>
File: 1449079675497.png (450KB, 1000x834px) Image search: [Google]
1449079675497.png
450KB, 1000x834px
>>43967286
I will always regret not bringing my friends into ttrpgs earlier.
We played one session before high school ended and had the greatest time of our lives.
Then we all went our separate ways soon after.

Have a stable group in college now, but I still want to run a game of Dark Heresy with my best buds one day, have a campaign planned and everything.
>>
Third worst
>>
>>43967286
>>43967286
>first group was run at friends sleepover birthday, one shot
>everyone died except for me because I was the halfling rogue and ran and hid as soon as the final fight went tits up
>everyone was mad at me for the rest of the night
I still think about it and cringe sometimes.
>2 year later
>1st time DMing
>campaign went on for 2 years
>my bbeg was OC do not steal re-color sephiroth
>had a magic sword that removed the sin from people
>auto killed them because "you can't be human and sin free"
>one player was drow ranger, another was half demon fighter with a key blade, another was a vampire rogue.
>edge level 500%
>players still fondly remember it
>they bring it up occasionally and it makes me cringe harder than anything else in my life

Fuck man, first groups are memorable but they're al it's always shit
>>
>>43967547
My group were my best friends, and it made saying goodbye much much harder. High school sucks man.
>>
>>43967286
Still with my first group, sans the original DM. He has been banned forever.
>>
>>43967699

>>my bbeg was OC do not steal re-color sephiroth
>>had a magic sword that removed the sin from people
>>auto killed them because "you can't be human and sin free"

Ugh. At least you know better now.
>>
>>43967741
Story time?
>>
>>43967741
yeah we need a storytime
>>
File: Otyugh.jpg (52KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
Otyugh.jpg
52KB, 400x296px
>>43967809
>>43967826
Right, I story-timed this in a thread a couple days ago, so I'll just paste what I had. It's a little long, so bear with.

>Be naive little 15 year old me
>Get invited to join an online 3.5e group
>Literally my first RP experience
>Super stoked, but also nervous as fuck due to anxiety issues.
>Everyoen seems pretty friendly.
>Party consists of Me (Drow Elf Rogue), My Friend who invited me (Troll Barbarian), Almost-Lovable-Pervert (Human Sorceress), Quiet Dude (Human Rogue) and Swedish Guy (Whose character escapes me at the moment sicne he plays them all the same.)
>Oh, and there's the DM's Kitsune Bard DMPC. No alarm bells due to noobness.
> First thing he does is have said DMPC get kidnapped.
>Okay, standard D.I.D, no biggy.
>The group follows the clues (by which I mean we make one survival check) and finds said DMPC at the mouth of a cave.
> "She is chained between two Otyughs, completely naked."
>I look through the monster manual and see pic related.
>Oh god what.
>I decide to take a potshot at them, see what happens.
>Miss by a couple points. No biggie, right?
>"Roll to see if you hit [DMPC]!"
>Wait that's not how the rules-
>"Roll it!"
>o-okay...
>Shit, I crit the hostage.
>DMPC is now bleeding out.
>I can't see the guy sicne we were using skype at the time, but I can practically hear the shit-eating grin.
>"The otyughs awaken and begin to rape her."
>Nigga WHAT?
>Gauging by how the rest of the group reacted, this was not an uncommon event.
>Fight ensues between us and the monsters.
>Actually pretty legit, since we have to make sure the two bastards don't run too far away from one another else the chains will start to pull the DMPC apart.
>Finally take them down and save the girl.
>She's completely unreponsive. joy.
>We take her back to the inn to rest up.
>I figured that this was jsut a one-off hazing ritual or soemthing.
>I was wrong.
>So wrong.
>>
>>43967946
>DMPC recovers shockingly quickly for someone traumatised five hours ago.
>DM himself sends me a private message.
>He suggests that I, as a Drow and therefore Totally-evil McBitchface, should take his DMPC as a slave and sell her back to the party.
>At level 2-3ish.
>Decide to take his advice since I am feeling way out of my depth here and, hey, any port in the anxiety storm.
>So, here I am, a Drow holding the DMPC nobody liked hostage.
>In front of them.
>In an inn.
>Basically everyone's characters want to kill me.
>I'm only saved becasue the Pervert's Sorceress (I should probably mention he constantly described her massive, and I mean MASSIVE chest, to give you an idea what this guy was like) decided to pay the ransom.
>Kaching, I guess.
>At least, until Quiet guy mugged me later. But I can't blame him for that.
>Anyway, the DMPC starts refering to Pervert's Sorceress as "Master"
>Starting to get a little weirded out, but hey; I got my gold, who the heck cares, right?
>A little later in the "campaign" (the term being about as accurate as a blind monk with a faulty ballista since we just kinda milled about and did the occasional dungeon.) Said DMPC disappears again.
>This appears to be the DM's default plot hook.
>Whatever, lets find her.
>Turns out she got caught stealing and is now in the stocks.
>Being raped by the guards.
>I'm starting to regret being an evil character now. If I'd played a paladin this'd have been over in seconds.
>Anyway, Pervert's Sorceress starts freaking out about how horrible this is.
>Pervert himself doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort into it.
>In the end, I offer to bribe the guards in return for Sorceress' temporary servitude.
>I-It's not like I'm doing it to be nice or anything. B-Baka.
>Sorceress agrees, and the DMPC is freed.
>She then starts refering to my Elf as "Master" as well.
>This would be fine if the DM wasn't so creepy about it.
>>
>>43967946
Oh man I remember reading this, I'm so sorry anon.
>>
>>43967969
>I'm talking full on post-ahegao levels of hentai servitude here.
>Its really starting to freak me out, but I'm far too nervous to tell the DM to stop.
>As far as I know, this is normal RP procedure.
>Still, I pull up my bootstraps and try to roleplay as best I can.
>After some more milling about, we get wind of yet another dungeon to explore.
>The moment we enter, I knew it was a horrible, horrible mistake.
>Tentacles.
>Tentacles EVERYWHERE.
>Tentacle spell traps.
>Every conceivable Monster that had a tentacle based attack.
>You name it, it was betentacled.
>And, most importantly, so were we.
>And by we, I mean my elf, Pervert's Sorceress and the DMPC since the others were smart enough to play males.
>Literally an entire dungeon of nothing but tentacle rape.
>Looking back, it might have been a weird formative experience. Which is fuckign horrifying to think about.
>This, however, would not be the end.
>>
>>43967994
>So, after a long drawn out fungeon run, we finally make it out of there.
>With pretty meagre loot, I might add.
>At this point its probably best I mention that my elf was a couple of levels behind the others since I joined the party late.
>This hadn't intially been a problem, but as levels were stacking up I was fallign behind quite badly.
>That's when the DM offered to put me throguh a solo dungeon.
>And like an idiot I accepted.
>Protip; DO NOT DO THIS.
>What followed was a gruelling experience even Hercules would look at and go "Holy shit, dude."
> The second encounter was twelve dwarves.
>Twelve. Dwarves.
> Vs one Elfish Rogue.
>It ended how you'd expect it to.
>Or it would have, if they hadn't spared me.
>At this point, the pieces in my mind finally started to coalesce as I realised exactly what was about to befall my rogue.
>This was, thankfully, the only time he decided to fade to black.
>The reason he faded to black, however...
>In order to level me up without puttign me too out of sync with the party or some such bullshit, he had randomly decided that this dungeon was alittle out of sync with regular temporal physics.
>Read; a day outsdie was several decades inside.
>You can probably see where this is going.
>And yes, there were bastard, half-breed children.
>He calculated them.
>So, by the end of it, my Drow had aged a few decades, now had a family of half-dwarvish children being locked in a temporally unstable rape factory and only managed to crawl out due to inevitable DM fiat.
>this is, by far, the single most horrible thing that has ever happened to a character of mine.
>It is not, however, the most horrible thing that DM put me through.
>>
>>43968014
>Its at around about this point that I start reading through the DM's manual.
>Having experienced untold horrors at the hands of this DM, I decide that maybe I should give running a dungeon a shot.
>the DM asks if I wouldn't mind him Co-DMing.
>I should have said no.
>I should have told him to fuck off.
>But god dammit, I wanted to learn to do things right.
>And he was the only available mentor.
>So, i reluctantly agreed.
>I planned out a fairly simple dungeon with an undead troll as the boss.
>At first, most of the suggestions made by the DM seemed tame.
>The only thing that started ringing bells was his insistence on trapping places with the spell "Evard's Black Tentacles."
>Me being a fairly naive youth, saw only grapple checks and damage.
>What he saw was realm so magical the atoms themselves would give you a +4 to hit.
>Eventually, the time comes for me to put the party through my first ever gauntlet.
>Things go pretty smoothly, even with his DMPC hanging around and going full Kuroinu with regards to Pervert's Sorceress.
>And then they tripped a tentacle trap.
>And by they, I of course mean the DMPC.
>I immediately start to look up the damage for it.
>But then my private chat starts beeping.
>Its the DM.
>And he's giving me suggestions.
>Horrible, horrible suggestions.
>The kind that make Slaanesh blush.
>He literally wants me to rolepaly tentacle raping his DMPC.
>In front of the entire party.
>Let me tell you now, brothers; Fear is the greatest motivation known to man.
> And no fear is stronger than that of a timid little fifteen year old who jsut wants to have friends.
>So...
>I submit.
>I rape his character.
>Explicitly.
>I will never forget that giggle of his.
>That horrible, firghtening, maniacal giggle.
>I feel filthy jsut remembering it.
>The rest of the dungeon goes smoothly. No more incidents.
>>
>>43968033
>Thankfully, there was a light.
>And, strangely, it came from a near TPK experience.
>You see, the Undead troll I had decided to use turned out to be jsut a little too strong.
>As in it wiped the bloody floor with them all.
>Thinking fast so I don't end up being an asshole DM, I bring out he necromancer responsible for reanimating it.
>He gloats and monologues for a while.
>Long enough for the party to recover and kick his arse.
>He escapes, and thus a whole plot is born.
>And with this plot comes the unanimous agreement that I was a far mroe competant DM than the current one.
>After being stuck as a player for a few sessions, the DM tries to insert his realm again.
>None of us are havng it.
>And, with the reassurance of the entire group, I kick the bastard out.
>Pervert left soon after, for unrelated reasons.
>We later got a new player; another inexperienced nooblet.
>The group is now Me (Almost Forever DM), My Friend, The Quiet Guy, The Swede and the Newbie.
>And that group has held strong throughout thick and thin ever since.

And that, /tg/, is why my group can never use Evard's Black Tentacles ever again.
>>
>>43968044
You poor poor bastard.
>>
>>43967983
>>43968275
Your concern is touching, anons. This was years ago, so the scars are basically healed. And I got a group out of it, so it wasn't a total disaster.
>>
I was going to greentext this, but its so short it isn't worth it.

My first group was myself (13), a friend (13), friends little bro (10), little bro's friend (10) who is also a russian.

After running the prepacked box set adventures, little russian kid says he'll write the next adventure

The adventure consists in us walking down a road, when suddenly Wild Hitmonchan's appear. We start chopping up the pokemans with our swords. Dead pokemon everywhere. Russian kid cries at his dead pokemon. I guess we were supposed to capture them.

We continue playing, a sleeping snorlax blocks the road. Russian says we need to go find the pokeflute. I say "fuck that, lets walk around it".

Russian kid cries more.

Eventually we killed a wererat that was hiding in a hedgemaze.
>>
>>43968044
Well, I've had bad experiences, but nothing like this.
One-time cannibalism and general randumbery is about as bad as bad got for me.
Kudos for you for sticking it out for your crew, though.
>>
I am going to eventually get into rpgs,i was considering getting in the group of a friend of mine,but a thing he told me scared me.he said if you roll a 1 it's a critical fail,then you have to roll another dice and if that is another low dice you hurt yourself no matter the action you were taking,and then,if the second roll was a 1 too you roll again and if a third one occurs you are dead.same applies for 20s but you instakill instead.
He says it is standard procedure and everybody does that.he is full of shit right(3.5/pathfinder player)
>>
My first group was a typical 13 year old trash fest. We were weird snowflake races, we'd spend days in bars having sex with random npcs the DM invented for us to have sex with then never see again, we'd go full murderhobo carving a swathe of destruction across otherwise pleasant landscapes, none of us understood how exp worked so we were god tier after like two sessions, we flew to the moon because haha (?), then we blew that moon up and sold the moon rocks for infinity money, like literally the dm said "i don't want to keep track of the money so you have infinite money lol", our dm would always inject the plot of whatever anime he was watching at the time into the game, and we all loved it as the tasteless 13 year olds we were. Then the dm became a massive faggot and the rest of us stopped hanging out with him, now i am foreverdm and my games ar least do a good job pretending they're more than just a step above free form, but my group has fun so whatever.
>>
>>43968534
>we flew to the moon because haha (?), then we blew that moon up and sold the moon rocks for infinity money
okay what
>>
>>43968534
Sounds like a really fun group
>>
>>43967286
Not in the slightest. My first group was awful.
>>
Fuck no.

I liked my high school friends, but running anything but randumb murderhobo adventures was impossible with them as PCs.
>>
>>43968840
It was nonsense, the rocks were crazy valuable because moon, and the dm was a lazy 13 year old who was basically just leading the free form circle jerk so he didn't care to keep track of the money or about how insanely broken we'd be with literally any item we could ever think up and pay someone to make. We were already really op because none of us really understood how combat worked and every monster basically walked up to one of us and full attacked until either one fell over
>>
>>43969433
The remnants are really cool guys, my best friends, and the games we play are hardly less circle jerky, we just know the rules of the games now so we pretend what we're doing isn't just power fantasy.
>>
File: 1393210621320.jpg (57KB, 490x368px)
1393210621320.jpg
57KB, 490x368px
>>43967392
These feels. I have these feels.

It'll never be the same, anon. Never. Ever.

Sudoku when
>>
>>43967286
Nope. Was 2e D&D and ORE is obviously the superior everything, not that 2e was particularily bad at the time though
>>
>>43967286
Worst, actually. By far.

We had one autistic maths savant who is currently working for NASA and still has no friends. A guy who just talked about final fantasy for the entire night. A girl who kept asking people to look at her deviantart page and drawing on her tablet. It wasn't good art. Another guy was just kind of an asshole, thought he was some kind of intellectual ubermensch despite having the physique of a twig and hair/skin you could fry chips on. Oh, can't forget me, in my super edgy 'psssshh nothin personnel kiddo' phase, complete with recoloured anime villain characters, and wearing a trench coat.

The DM was a spergmaster who immediately subjected us all to his magical realm (before we knew what a magical realm was) by having half the characters impregnated by squids in a pool of filthy water, literally in the starting area.

It lasted about five minutes after that, before everyone except the girl, who wasn't paying attention, and the autist, who didn't seem to 'get' the situation, got uncomfortable and made excuses to leave.
>>
>>43967286
Nope. My current group is better than my first.
>>
>>43967699
I know this may sounds strange, but I kinda like the idea of a sword that can pull out a person's darkness. Not for autikill or anything super op, but instead the darkness would manifest into an enemy that would agro onto the person the darkness was pulled from. I think it would be an interesting boss weapon.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.