[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does DF belong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 32

I keep seeing Dwarf fortress on this board even though it's a video game. had /tg/ turned into a general fantasy board, or id dwarf fortress so crude and low-tech that it's considered traditional anyways

also DF general
>>
Its kind of the same as SS13 and Elder Scrolls being on here.

That is to say, I have no idea.
>>
File: the manager.png (8KB, 742x199px) Image search: [Google]
the manager.png
8KB, 742x199px
>>43919736
Because /tg/ fetishizes dwarfs and DF is needlessly complicated, yes, it will always belong. Dare not mention the unholy intersection of minecraft and dwarf fortress, though.
>>
Of course dorf fort is /tg/. Anyone who says otherwise both sucks cocks and is wrong.
>>
File: current fort.png (2MB, 1920x2014px)
current fort.png
2MB, 1920x2014px
Anyways, what's your optimal fort layout? I usually opt for pic related; I find everything gets better when the z-layer is exploited more, and it keeps my beds away from the workshops. Then I can just do a macro for it and reiterate it as much as I need.
>>
File: Keen.gif (10KB, 334x646px)
Keen.gif
10KB, 334x646px
>>43919736
I invoke the Commander Keen clause to settle this matter.
>>
>>43919736
Because it is a shit game and /tg/ loves shit games, just look at all the love Pathfinder and 3.5 get here.
>>
>>43919868
Those bedrooms are way, way bigger than they need to be.
>>
>>43919736
Eh, I come to /tg/ for quests and to talk to people who share my interests, not necessarily to talk about said interests. Besides, /tg/ doesn't attract as many fags as /v/

>>43919875
Sounds about right
>>
>>43919921
Have you tried playing another game good anon? FATAL perhaps?
>>
>>43919921
I see someone followed op from /vg/
>>
File: 1mTf6N7.png (1KB, 367x62px) Image search: [Google]
1mTf6N7.png
1KB, 367x62px
>>
>>43919979
Im op and honestly i prefer here than /v/
partly because my computer cant handle modern games but also because i enjoy roleplaying games and we all know RPGs now a-days dont live up to their names.
>>
>>43919736
Dwarf Fortress threads used to be more common than they are now, actually.

It's what got me on /tg/ in like 2007.

Also holy shit 2d DF is almost 10 years old. Fuck.
>>
>>43919935
Well, yes, later they get stuffed with dressers and statues and shit. I prefer being thematic about these things.
>>
>>43920214
you mean you dont start off with 1x2 rooms in the beginning, and make all the migrants live in the slums like the lower class they are?

what are you a commie?
>>
Dorf fort story time? Dorf fort story time.

>Years ago
>First REAL fort
>Everything set up and is working properly for the time being
>Militia is mildly armed and ready to go
>Suddenly Goblin Snatcher
>Steals a kid, stabs a dog
>Avoids all traps and gets out
>Militia Commander was mother of child and owner of said dog
>Goes berserk and murders the ENTIRE militia
>Keeps murdering at breakneck speeds
>Conscripts fall to her as fast as they are recruited
>Runs into the hospital where doc is patching up someone hurt in hunting accident
>Last two survivors
>Captain kills patient
>Then dies
>Check log and find out that the doctor punched her head clear across the room
>Mood is: Content
>Doctor then gets to work putting all his former fortmates into coffins then sits down and has an ale since he is now on break

Not sure if that can happen nowadays after patches. But it was the best.
>>
How excited is everyone with the advanced books with songs and poems and bards coming this next patch.
>>
>>43920260
I originally did 3x3 rooms, but after lose 20% of my fort to a fucking vampire, I said fuck that and now everyone shares a gigantic goddamn dormitory hall. They still get 3x3 sanctioned "bedroom areas" complete with dresser (when I get around to it), but nope no walls no privacy the enemy could be anywhere, citizen.

Certainly make things faster to plan though, so there's another benefit.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>43919875
As much as I have fond memories of Commander Keen and agree with those guidelines as rules of thumb, I don't really agree with the presentation here. Keen doesn't really have the collaborationist spirit that is core to the things we do here. Keen flies off in a rocket that he built himself and saves the world alone. As much as I would readily punch anyone who shit-talks Keen, he's not the hero we deserve.

/tg/ is about sitting down together and getting shit done. It's about manning all the positions on the bridge, sending down a well balanced away team, and bitching about game balance and minutia until we're blue in the face.

The hero who represents us isn't Commander Keen. It's Pravin Lal.
>>
>>43920383

I would press a counter argument but I realize you actually do understand it at a higher level.
>>
>>43920414
Good post.
>>
File: 1377375842435.png (37KB, 652x413px) Image search: [Google]
1377375842435.png
37KB, 652x413px
>>43920320
Ahahaha

I have a similar story with early militia

>found fort
>hematite but no lignite/coal
>slow start, lots of iron, make a set of very high-grade steel armor and equip it to the best dorf in my fledgling military
>dwarf gets taken by a strange mood
>don't have the materials, start to construct wall around the workshop for the inevitable insanity
>faggot builders dwarves don't finish it in time, I was distracted by faffing about with a goblin ambush
>he's still in the only set of steel armour I have in the fort
>dwarf goes into rage, starting slayin'
>quickly assign all my dwarves to burrows and lock doors behind them
>a couple unlucky saps get assigned to one-man squads, they draw the mad dwarf out of the fortress and aboveground, at the cost of their lives
>lock doors behind him
>brick off the exit path
>huddle indoors while he slays the fuck out of the goblin ambush
>huddle indoors while he slays the fuck out of a human caravan
>try to resume a normal life, he's killed all my livestock and has hunted down a couple hippos, which has me thoroughly spooked at this point
>train and equip my recruits to prepare for the day
>goblin seige occurs (to be fair though it was a pretty faggot seige, there was only twenty or so of them and they didn't bring any seige animals
>he charges straight it
>slays the fuck out of half of them, the others break ranks and run
>he routs several more, only a few escape
>eventually dies. Starvation? Thirst? I dunno, he died and that's the important part
>finally unbrick the doors, smell the sweet smell of the above ground world once again

>a few hours later, drown entire fort due to a drastic misunderstanding of how water pressure works in-game
>>
>>43920370
>not being more exited about the ability to be a heretic and become a vampire/were-creature like that, or bringing about the destruction of a fort by leaving a necromancy book in the fort library.
>>
File: 1442982716781.png (6KB, 714x114px)
1442982716781.png
6KB, 714x114px
bunp
>>
how about this:
>Mod(s)
>tile-set
>world-gen

>monster-hunter universe/LFR or both
>Grim Fort
>some custom one from here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150002.msg6154783#msg6154783

end result is death by strange elder dragons every 5 feet while playing as weak and fluffy cat people
>>
df noob here, any tips on how to get a fortress going? i can get stable food and mines but where do i go from there?
>>
>>43921609
This isn't meant to blow you off or anything, but you really should check the wiki. It has a lot of super helpful material that, at best, we would just parrot to you.

In general, though, expand your farms to start growing the crop used to make clothes fibers and set up your clothing industry. Eventually the clothes your dwarves are wearing will wear out and eventually get so tattered they fall off (I had a series of mini-tantrums because I din't now this and by time I had enough new clothes, a significant number of dwarves had been naked for quite a while and were very upset about it). Beyond that, set up your useless trinket industry for trade, your military to repel invaders, and possibly start exploring the caverns.
>>
Bedrooms, a dining room
workshops and associated stockpiles to build things like furniture, trade goods, and clothing
a rudimentary militia - a few guys with no-quality copper weapons and wooden shields huddled around an armour stand in a tiny room will go a long way to defend your fort
a hospital, and a well

and if you've got all of that set up and you have accommodations/food/booze for 100+ dwarves (or whatever your pop cap is), start exploring the caverns and goofing around. really, the current version of DF is not a very hard game (although the interface is obtuse, options are countless, and in-game help is nearly nonexistent) so once you know what you're doing you need to set goals for yourself
build a giant pyramid out of [unlikely material]? set up an extensive prisoner capture/management system whereby you can make bolts and crafts out of the bones of goblins and elves? history's most valuable gremlin sweat barrel collection, decorated with gems and gold?
>>
File: building_flowchart.png (54KB, 1201x1445px) Image search: [Google]
building_flowchart.png
54KB, 1201x1445px
>>43921609
Here is a basic "Tech Tree" that you can follow that might help you expand your fort.
>>
>set up a fortress in an extremely evil sector
>everyone starves to daeth
>again
jesus christ how good do I have to be at this game before things happen
>>
>>43922119
how long have you been playing?
>>
>>43922119
An analogy to gitting gud with DF. The learning curve is a wall. The only tool to scale this wall is the bodies of previous playthroughs. Good luck.
>>
File: asax_by_kennydalman-d34jy5x.jpg (121KB, 669x919px) Image search: [Google]
asax_by_kennydalman-d34jy5x.jpg
121KB, 669x919px
Never forget.
>>
>>43922361
this sounds like a story.
>>
>>43922119
Evil embark is pretty hard even for veterans and sometimes the RNG fucks you even then.
>>
>>43922407
especially Terrifying
sinister/haunted are manageable if you get underground quickly, but when an undead giant mosquito spawns right away on a 2x2 or 3x3 map, there's pretty much no escape
>>
has anyone gone super deep into the lore of your world with legends veiwer
i just read about a 10 year war between goblins and dwarves which ended when the leader of the goblins was struck down by a roc.

this fascination all began from my mason making it as a statue.
>>
>>43922847
the roc or the goblin?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>43920383
Fuck you Lal! You said you'd help me take down Miriam if I gave you Cyberethics, now I've got an army of zealots on my doorstep and you're still dicking about with Yang!
>>
Yall hype for the upcoming update?
>>
>>43922903
Lolol

>>43919736
There was a /tg/ makes a fortress thread awhile ago.
>>
>>43922862
The statue was the roc striking down the goblin.
>>
>>43922847
Yyyyyep. Never playing nice with elves again. Every, literally every important elf that didn't have one of those "11248923 notable kills" lists had about two to six kills, all of them children and all of them preceded by horrible forms of torture. Goblin children, dwarf children, human, children *their own* children, none were spared and most were speared after being beaten, burned, drowned, etc.

Melt all those sociopathic knife ears to fucking slag.
>>
>>43923173
Nothing a high altitude magma cannon can't fix.

Tested on goblins, built for elves.
>>
>>43922847
spent ages reading the history of a world I generated where the goblins all lived on a tiny island, the humans all lived on another tiny island, and all the elves and dwarves and kobolds had longs since died trying to live on the main continent. I didn't care at first but when I got invaded by a zombie dragon I decided it was a pretty cool world
>>
Dwarf fort has been on /tg/ longer than I have ('08). I'm not about to tell it go away.
>>
>>43922978
Pretty hyped here, although I'm enough of a scrub that I'll have to wait for tilesets and Therapist and other stuff to get updated before I can really get stuck in. I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more - the neat stories that'll come up with all the changes, or the hilarious bugs that'll come up with all the changes.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>43919783
SS13 involves a lot of roleplaying desu
>>
>>43924772
>roleplaying = traditional games
anon can you not right now?
>>
>>43924792
Don't be hating just because you can't find a futa elf to fuck you in the ass on a WoW RP server.
>>
File: 1434476424342.jpg (29KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1434476424342.jpg
29KB, 375x523px
>>43924772
>>43924792
>>43925198
dont fall for it anon
>>
HOURS AND COUNTING
UPDATE TODAY

TAVERNS AND SKALDS
>>
>>43919736
its mostly that its one of those things that are to good to let the other boards ruin.
>>
>>43925876
auctualy in hindsight the other boards seem to treat df mostly alright so i guess it just gets by on being fuckawesome and dorfy

same reason we have oglaf threads here instead of going off to /co/ (the fuckawesomeness not the dorfyness but the dwarves are pretty cool)
>>
>>43920374
>dormitories
ma nigga
>>
>>43919868
My forts are ad-hoc and kinda shit. Z levels are rarely used.
>>
Come to think of it i havent played df in a while have adventure mode shoping trips with your friends happened yet.

also did they fix the godawfull resource hogging from the world activation update.
>>
>>43919783
Elder Scrolls has absolute no reason to be here though, it's just mods that don't give a shit about the rules.
>>
I'd like to try DF. Wat do?
>>
>>43926009
download and install and read the wiki to get started

the in game documentation can help a little to.
>>
Is the dwarves all being raving lunatics a bug or a feature? Both?
>>
>>43926057
Beloved bug.
>>
>>43926086
Would, say, a tantrum spiral fix be considered a good or bad thing?
>>
>>43926124
Whoo that's a doozy. At this point, I think tantrum spirals are so ingrained in the – for lack of a better word – lore and feel of DF that their removal would probably not be received well by the general community.
>>
>>43922361
Explain
>>
>>43926152
Google the pic, it leads to a deviantart that explains it. Guy has other df stuff too.
>>
File: tgthreads.gif (40KB, 300x580px) Image search: [Google]
tgthreads.gif
40KB, 300x580px
>>43919736
>>
>>43926149

They changed that. There is a new system involving stress over time.
>>
Is there a way to make DF run with more than 2-3 gb of ram?
>>
>>43920689
Pffffttt HAHAHAHA oh God that- is totally DwarfFort.
>>
>>43922903
Zakharov/Yang 2016
>>
>>43925988
Elder scrolls has a couple different tabletop systems. Not only are they discussed in those threads, but the team that works on one of them regularly comes in for feedback. it's /tg/ as fuck.
>>
File: 1441984257767.gif (1MB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1441984257767.gif
1MB, 150x150px
>>43920689
>>a few hours later, drown entire fort due to a drastic misunderstanding of how water pressure works in-game
a classic
>>
>>43928184
Toady is adding a 64-bit client soon, not for this release though
>>
>>43919868
dude, a 2X3 will work just as well for cramming with stuff and be way less inefficient. you can go smaller, but I like to stick with 2X3 so eventually I can give everyone a gold statue or a cage with the rotting corpse of a goblin thief or something.
>>
>>43919868
>Not using default
shittaste/10
>>
>>43926009
I asked a friend of mine who plays. He recommended these -- they are remade to keep current with updated game -- they seem good if you can stand the patreon begging at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0sBhCMFBvPlF7wG7OH-NFQKMeCQiS8aM
>>
Update's here, in case anyone is interested.
>>
>>43930915
>It's real
Christmas comes early this year!
>>
File: A Dwarf with a tankard of beer.jpg (211KB, 600x738px) Image search: [Google]
A Dwarf with a tankard of beer.jpg
211KB, 600x738px
>>43930915
>Ability to designate taverns, temples and libraries in the fortress
>Taverns and libraries also exist in adventure mode and world generation
>Tavern keepers can serve drinks in both modes, goblets can be used by dwarves to drink (in taverns or otherwise)
>Performances include stories, poetry, music and dance (you can view activity descriptions from the unit/job list)
We tankard bashers now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk
>>
>>43930915
>Animal people are now playable as adventurers
Hoooo boy. Time to start seeing what's the most ridiculous option.
Spengbab, the Spong-Man Brawler will go down in history forever, one way or another

>Monster slayers can petition your fortress to go down and fight monsters once you discover the underground
We monhun now.
>>
>>43919807
>needlessly complicated

It's as complicated as it needs to be.
>>
Back right after the military overhaul, and it took a whole lot of juking to get your militia to equip weapons, I had a good sized militia but it was mostly recruits. I had just lost all of my veterans to a titan.
Well I get attacked by a tornado titan. So I activate the militia and they all run to equip their gear. All except one female recruit, who bum 4 used the tornado titan with no weapons or armor. When they collided there was nothing bu smoke and dust tiles. I had no idea what was going on. BUT by the time the rest of the militia arrived there dust settled revealing the corpse of a tornado titan and a legendary wrestler dwarf.
>>
Are there more of these stories in the /tg/ archives or some other place?
The game seems like it has a lot of amusing potential, but I don't have the time nor the autism required to learn it.
>>
>>43932759
BEHOLD! THE SAGA OF BOATMURDERED!
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
A story of love, loss, and madness.
It tells the story of a fortress from its beginnings to its end. Back when DF was only 2d, boatmurdered was a successsion game where players took turns running the fortress for one ingame year before passing it to the next player. Highlights include elephantine genocidal warfare against incessantly moronic-greedy dwarves and "Fuck the World" levers that annihilate everything outside of the fortress in a cloud of all-annihilating steam. There really is no good way to convey the insanity beyond reading the story itself. So go read it.
>>
File: 1449006727561.png (801B, 224x18px) Image search: [Google]
1449006727561.png
801B, 224x18px
Dwarves are redpilling each other now.
>>
It's been so long since i played a proper fort. i forgot how to get a good embark site.
>>
>>43921609
/vg/ has a thread. they are generally happy to help.
>>
>>43933244
>The Truth (copy)
Is there also The Truth (freeware)?
What DRM does the commercial version have, Elves 3.0?
>>
>>43936031
just pirate the truth, it works just as fine
>>
new df version cant do worldgen on linux because bugs ;~;
anyone have a decent just-after-worldgen save they wanna share
>>
I just made a weak hyena man bard in adventure mode, want details?
>>
File: DWARF FORTRESS.png (93KB, 1200x800px)
DWARF FORTRESS.png
93KB, 1200x800px
>>43936717
yes
>>
>>43936765
okay i spawned in a pit with a dosen more dwarves crammed in, no way out, remaking the adventurer.
>>
>>43936717
>Does /tg/ want a story?
>A DF story at that.
Really bruh? You really need to ask?
>>
>>43936802
okay so starting again
>hyena woman Atthem Sanasizet "Lovelysnacks"
>Started in a human hamlet on a thin peninsula.
>Worships "Enthep the poetic Savant, Human goddess of writing and scholarship"
>>
>>43936687
thats a shame
>>
Happening.gif
Can't wait to build a great library then watch it burn because a cat or something.
>>
>>43936934
This new personality generator is pretty complicated im just going to randomize it
> Likes: Drinking Alcohol, Seeing Animals, Eating good food, Wandering.
> Dislikes: Romance, Harmony
> Dreams of seeing the great natural places of the world.
>>
>>43937014
>Started in a house with a ranger, he refuses to join me
> Try to fast travel
>Game crashes
TOADY!
>>
>>43937014
you made an alcoholic hippy/hermit/druid
good job
>>
File: 1437967813901.png (12KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
1437967813901.png
12KB, 500x294px
>>43919736
>crude and low-tech
>>
>>43937097
>Druid
>Implying hyena women aren't Gnolls
>>
>>43937078
okay new Atthem Lovelysnacks new personality
>likes: Socializing, Cause Trouble, Wander Fight, See animal
>dislikes: Romance, Craftmanship
>>
>>43937014
>>43937294
>Dislikes Romance
Some bard you'll be.
>>
>>43919736
>Does DF belong?
Hell yes, now don't ask stupid questions
>>
>>43937144
What?
>>
File: birthof ghosts.png (23KB, 1351x324px)
birthof ghosts.png
23KB, 1351x324px
>>43937294
>Visits the local hall and recruit the guards
>"Ha! such enthusiasm for one such as yourself"
>Fuck urself m8
>Sing a song with my lira to convince them further pic related
>0 shits given
>day 1 - wasted

i guess im heading out into the world alone /tg/

>Half a days travel west, get to a tomb, im going in.
>>
>>43937960
a trap killed me
should have used L more
>>
>>43937960
holy shit thats a lot of info for a song
>>
>>43938158
Thats the update for you.
>>
>>43937960
I'm going to assume "The Azure Drums" sounds like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0eRKq1lE
>>
>>43938238
explains why no one was really interested when i played it on my lira

playing another game as a jumping spider woman, if it goes anywhere i might greentext again.

imagining a drow/drider
>>
>>43922744

My personal hate-boner is for husks. Zombies and skeletons are manageable, but I've seen a single husk of a raven kill a lone kobold, which in turn, husked itself, and killed 6 military dorfs in steel plate. Fuck husks.
>>
>>43938305
I'm hyped to play a serpentman or something flying (I'm assuming we still get syndromes and flight when playing as that race, right?).
>>
>>43939532
my spidr woman had extra limbs so im assuming they'll have special properties like that.
>>
File: 1432829821182.png (345KB, 480x452px)
1432829821182.png
345KB, 480x452px
>mfw
>taking an hour and a half to generate a large 550 year world
>year 53X
>Dwarf fortress crashes
>>
>>43940368
linux version can't gen worlds at all u-u
gets stuck placing civs
>>
im remaking a world does anyone need the files? also is DF on windows compatible with linux?
>>
>>43940509
the worlds and files are compatible. just throw the save wherever. help the linuxbros out
>>
File: tumblr_nuqlr9N7It1rzs9axo1_500.png (11KB, 500x18px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuqlr9N7It1rzs9axo1_500.png
11KB, 500x18px
150/250 years left to go
>>
>>43922361
>>43922399
>>43926152

Âsax (Goblin for Masterjails) was a cave swallowmen.
He defeated one forgotten beast (when he was 11 years old) and severely wounded two others before flying off to live with the dwarves.

Âsax (Masterjails) was a cave swallow man born in 1042. He was of unknown parentage.

In the early autumn of 1053, Masterjails mortally wounded the forgotten beast Rusmo Mournfulcackled, who suffocated, with Squareluck the Tones of Safety in Reignstake.

In the early spring of 1055, Masterjails bled to death, slain by the goblin Atu Wraithwhipped with a silver whip in Reignstake.

He was a cave swallowman with a fungiwood spear and a tunnel tube shield, who dared to challenge the unspeakable... and won.
>>
>>43940454
>>43936687
worldgen works on linux for smaller maps. medium+ seems like it doesnt work
>>
DF is not responding i might not be able to provide a save file.
>>
>>43925988
The elder scrollls threads are usually lore focused.

Also /tg/ made an elder scrolls game, so it usually fits.
>>
uploading a save to dropbox!
>>
>>43941843
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pa0j4yc56afuhi4/AADyC-Rt7IY3E_Ar-5YAvYVpa?dl=0
>>
File: 1448076006734.png (214KB, 581x1228px)
1448076006734.png
214KB, 581x1228px
>>
>>43936792
You know that you can climb now, right?

The same goes for all the guys who spawned on rooftops. Try just climbing down the side.
>>
File: 1448246037522.gif (73KB, 750x706px) Image search: [Google]
1448246037522.gif
73KB, 750x706px
>>
>>43944304
Perfect.
>>
>>43944482
The fuck?
>>
File: dorfs and gobbos.gif (30KB, 397x1445px)
dorfs and gobbos.gif
30KB, 397x1445px
>>43947671
>>
>>43929156
The only problem I've got with default tileset is that it's not quadratic. That really pisses me off.
>>
>>43947686
Not a DF pro, what does the "g" turning into a smile signify?
>>
>>43948030
the g is a goblin the smile is a dorf

there on the same tile
>>
>>43948030
An indication of a space being occupied by 2 creatures at once. In this case, a dwarf and a goblin porking
>>
>>43948062
also there clothing is scatered all over the place most likely they were fighting and wrestled the clothing off but its funnier to pretend they were fucking.
>>
>>43948002
Square, Anon. Square, not quadratic.
>>
>>43948094
Clearly, his autism has exceeded our own.
>>
Can the generated animal people use their animilistic attributes if you choose them as an adventurer? Like a snake person spitting poison for instance
>>
>>43944304
Forgive my ignorance, but did their plan of merging magma and water lead to the water pooling up over the solidified magma and flooding the rest of the fortress?

Never played Dorf so I can't really tell what's going on in the bottom panel.
>>
File: commander keen rule.gif (10KB, 334x646px) Image search: [Google]
commander keen rule.gif
10KB, 334x646px
>>43919783

This is why. It's been an unofficial rule since /tg/ was started.
>>
>>43948173
>>43927693
>>43919875
So would the XCOM series fall under this, or would they be excluded?
Because even in video game form the XCOM games are essentially just tabletop combat systems with animations.
>>
>>43948219
oh yes /tg/ loves them some xcom
>>
>>43948219
XCOM series definitely counts as one of ours
>>
>>43948152
Yes.

>>43948219
I've seen several XCOM threads. They've become more sparse since the snaketits dropped, though.

>>43948136
Spottily. The animal people use an old piece of code to import the traits of their base animal to a humanoid template, and it doesn't always work right. About half of the venomous animals work right, but all birds can fly, and so on.
>>
>>43948115
Hey, don't be rood to me like that. English is not my first language after all.
>>
>>43948253
Groovy. Can something like a tigerman use his teeth?
>>
File: cover-contact.jpg (243KB, 1000x1425px)
cover-contact.jpg
243KB, 1000x1425px
>>43948219
/tg/ loves XCOM

I think someone did actually make a tabletop version of it. Not as in the actual retail Xcom board game but a turn based wargame version of the classic xcom.

Also there is CONTACT which is a PnP version of xcom that also includes a TFTD expansion.
>>
>>43948219

I'd say it'd be borderline. You could fit it in, but it'd be better if you also gave it a more /tg/ slant. Like making an XCOM setting or homebrew system and such. This way it can be on topic while still discussing the actual game in the thread.

And video games with a tabletop version (like Shadowrun) automatically fit in by default. But, yeah, XCOM could fit. It's got a little niche here.
>>
>>43948295
download the game read the wiki and in game help.

prepare to fail a lot
>>
How do I into Dwarf Fortress? It looks really complicated and difficult to use.

Is it Fun??
>>
>>43948319
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Losing
>>
>>43948317
was quoting a post with a failed spoiler here
>>43948319
>>
>>43948302

Where can I find contact? The only XCOM game I found by that name was First Contact which is also an XCOM based pnp game.
>>
File: 1439797812039.jpg (242KB, 1056x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1439797812039.jpg
242KB, 1056x1500px
>>43948319
Go to the DFwiki and go to the quickstart guide. The wiki is your best friend, and yes anon, you will have lots of fun.
Losing is fun
>>
>>43948407
This reminds me. I need to go back in and make my standard suite of edits to this version's raws, including giving dwarven cultures the chance to make and wear masks.
>>
File: tuoITbs.jpg (636KB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
tuoITbs.jpg
636KB, 3120x4160px
>>43948295
>>43948319
Don't think I didn't spot your failure. Use Ctrl+S for quick spoiler tags.
As for your question, get the Lazy Newb Pack, watch some videos, and keep the wiki handy for whenever you encounter something new. A lot of Dwarf Fortress revolves around bashing your face against the wall until you've got the mechanics down, and then you face an even greater wall. Stuff like managing food and drinks takes a while to learn, as well as dealing with refuse and tantrum spirals. Each fortress you make teaches you a little bit more. A few tips I would like to throw out there:
1. Don't bother embarking on aquifers early on, even if you are determined to deal with the challenge. They're just obnoxious as shit, and a new player will never be able to deal with them properly
2. Use quantum stockpiles. These are made by having a 1x1 square designated as a dumpsite, and designating everything that isn't refuse to get dumped. Once you've got everything you want on the dumpsite, remove it again and replace it with a stockpile that holds everything
3. Your dwarves will always attempt to work from the topleft corner, be wary of this when you dig or build walls and floors
>>
>>43948327
>>43948335
>>43948407
>>43948458
Thanks Anons. I need a good game to throw myself at over and over again. Fallout Shelter was really short lived.

The real spoiler is that I've been on /tg/ for 4 years and I still fucking did that. There will be no dwarf fortress deep enough to hide my shame.
>>
>>43948271
Ostensibly, he'd have a more dangerous bite, if that's what you mean. "Head arms and tail of [x]" is usually the description of the animal people.
>>
File: give this dorf a medal.png (92KB, 1280x984px) Image search: [Google]
give this dorf a medal.png
92KB, 1280x984px
Oh dwarf fortress, where everyone will die and the training doesn't matter.
>>
>>43919736
This game seems so interesting and every two years I try to get into it
and fail
>>
>>43948752
Failure is normal and expected.
Take it, embrace it, and do it again.
>>
>>43948760
No I mean I literally have no idea what I'm doing even though I've read some of the quickstart stuff and went for the noob-build recommended on the wiki
I think I might just be retarded
>>
File: 1448351224971.jpg (73KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448351224971.jpg
73KB, 540x360px
>>43948752
You and me both, senpai.

Is there any good starting walk through to get familiarized with the game? Hand holding is appreciated, I'll get to bash my head with a wall soon enough.
>>
>>43948774
give it a few runs through, and maybe try re-reading the quick start guide. even then you won't be ~good~ at the game for a long while.

adventure mode is even more brutal, learning to survive even a single encounter is extremely hard
>>
>>43948774
Have you tried going along with a video guide? That did the trick for me
>>
>>43948820
Someday I will manage to work things out

>>43948839
this actually sounds like a really good idea, it's how I figured out Europa Universalis
>>
>>43948782
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
So uh. Yeah. I don't know about any -good- videos, some apparently exist, but there is this.
>>
>>43919736

Summer leftovers, I see
>>
>>43948928
Talking about yourself?
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.