[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder General /pfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 26

Pathfinder General /pfg/

"When will we have psicrystals for everyone and psicrystal archetypes?" edition

If you are asking for build advice, please mention which third-party books are allowed. If you do not say anything, we will assume DSP/SoP is allowed.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/HwxEjiKW

Old thread: >>43901524
>>
>>43907367
psicrystal staves are my shit.
>>
File: d6hcmGm.png (730KB, 937x855px) Image search: [Google]
d6hcmGm.png
730KB, 937x855px
>>43907367
Soon(tm), anon. Soon(tm).
>>
Reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with 25pb and anyone who says otherwise deserves to be put down like the degenerate they are
>>
>>43907400
Do Cryptics have any good tricks for Psicrystal usage? I'm digging on Cryptics hard, Grammaton seems pretty fun (Bossman ever get back to you on Gun Kata?)
>>
>>43907400

1. Has there been any word on the tactician's Collective Defenses at all? A 4th-level peri-blooded tactician with Intelligence modifier +6 (including racial bonus and headband) and Charisma modifier +4 (also including racial bonus) can grant the entire party a +6 insight bonus to AC for four rounds as a swift action... seven times per day, without spending power points.

2. If I gain a temporary bonus to manifester level, such as from the Psionics cleric domain, what is the time frame in which I must manifest the power in order to avail of the bonus?
If I am manifesting a power with a manifesting time of 1 minute and a Psionics cleric uses Psionic Amplifier, do I gain the bonus if I begin to manifest the power during the amplification, if I finishing manifesting the power during the amplification, or not at all, because the power's manifestation must begin and end during the amplification?
>>
>>43907441
psicrystal setting weapon. +2000 gp, makes your weapon a deep crystal weapon for charging with power when you put your psicrystal in. increases your psicrystal level by 2 if at least half the day is spent docked which can grant new abilities a couple levels early.
>>
>>43907400
Just finished checking out PoW. It seems like you guys put more thought into it than Paizo did with their martials, so good job. I'm kind of short on funds lately, but if you guys ever make a big compilation book of psionics/PoW I'll probably end up buying it anyway. Keep up the good work.

What's your favourite DSP class/archetype/discipline?
>>
>>43907572
We have a big compilation book for Psionics already: Ultimate Psionics. It's rather pricey, but it covers a lot of material.
>>
>>43907572
Gunsmoke Mystic for me. I've always enjoyed the thought of playing a gunslinger, but haven't had the opportunity to be effective with it until gunsmoke Mystic became a thing. I'm playing one now in giantslayer (lol giant's touch AC) and it's an absolute blast.
>>
>>43907461
Is that first thing a problem?
>>
>>43907585
$14 for the pdf isn't bad actually. I'll think about it because I might want to invest in a hard copy. None of my players seem to be into psionic stuff, though, which is a shame. They're more into standard wizard and knight kind of stuff.
>>
>>43908057
The PDF is nicely priced, yes. But I like dead tree editions, and that one is a bit pricey.

If your friends are happy with wizards, there's nothing wrong with that. Some people like gruel too.
>>
>>43907400
Gareth why do you keep responding to the touhouposter
>>
>>43908083
He also responds to obvious trolls. Either he's oblivious or it's you know, his job, as PR guy.
>>
>>43908094
>>43908083
Don't bully Gareth.
>>
>>43908143
Gareth bullies himself.
>>
>>43908151
Yes, and he's doing it enough himself, don't add to it.
>>
File: 1430722782257.jpg (80KB, 343x354px) Image search: [Google]
1430722782257.jpg
80KB, 343x354px
If we all talk about nothing but lewd things about Gareth is the thread still on topic because he helped write Pathfinder books?
>>
>>43907461
collective defenses actually does have a weakness: it requires line of sight to the members of the collective you want to buff with it. consider the multiple avenues to blocking line of sight and otherwise dividing parties.
>>
>>43908083
What's wrong with that?
>>
File: butwhyisn'tsheblonde.jpg (20KB, 263x533px) Image search: [Google]
butwhyisn'tsheblonde.jpg
20KB, 263x533px
>>43908198
Let's start this off, then. HEY GARETH

Do pic related's carpet match the drapes?
>>
>>43908267
fuck. I screwed up that filename something fierce
>>
>>43907400
>>43907585
Nice to see you guys here. I am an oversized rotary air impeller of your works.

Question for the thread: I am making a mind's eye disciple marksman (mind's eye disciple being an archetype that replaces marksman's combat style with Path of War maneuver progression, for those unfamiliar), and I noticed something this morning. Wind Reader and Favored Weapon both provide competence bonuses to attack rolls, and competence bonuses aren't of the "stacks with itself" variety of bonus. I feel like, if you don't improve your Wisdom score, Favored Weapon will outpace Wind Reader by level 10 or 14.

Was this "fixed" anywhere in errata, or do you keep Wind Reader in your back pocket for those times when you're denied access to your favored weapon?
>>
>>43908267
I meant lewd things about Gareth, our husbando himself.
>>
>>43908293
Let me see if I can ping the guy who wrote the archetype. I feel like it might be an oversight, but I want to double check.

>>43908308
I'm saving all of this to share with him and the other writers later. At least we never have to question who /pfg/'s favorite is.
>>
>>43908324
Well, they're both features of the base Marksman class. But thanks anyway!
>>
>>43908324
Do you want us to talk about you lewdly instead?
>>
>>43908337
I'll but bossman about it then, since he wrote the base class. Although he might be asleep because he's in vikingland.

>>43908347
I'd find some way to wrangle amusement out of it no matter who you talk about.
>>
Why isn't there a druid archtype or whatever based around oozes?
>>
>>43908293
More questions for the thread, all related to DSP's psionics/PoW:

-Psionic feats. I love some of them more than I should--like Up the Walls. That might be my favorite feat out of the entire game. What about you? Ones you like; ones you feel are necessary, almost taxes; ones you think are a waste of ink?
-Martial disciplines. They're all pretty awesome, although I think the supernatural disciplines are pretty strong--even IF they get shut off in areas where magic is suppressed. Riven Hourglass is just great. I'm going to be giving Sleeping Goddess a try, but it seems pretty amazing too. Which ones do /pfg/ like?
>>
>>43908465
I really like the Psicrystal Affinity feat. It's awesome. Psionic Meditation is great because it's powerful and necessary (although wtf, 4 rank requirement). Taxes? Psionic Body. Why is this a feat. Whose idea was that.

For disciplines, I really like Sleeping Goddess and Mithral Current. They're both very anime in the best ways.
>>
>>43908440
Seconding.
>>
Here are nine more psionics-related inquiries for any Dreamscarred Press writers who may be present.

1. A 1st-level soulknife (deadly fist) receives the Flurry of Fists blade skill at 1st-level. Is this considered to be the "blade skills class feature" for the purpose of taking the Extra Blade Skill feat, thereby allowing a 1st-level deadly fist to have Focused Offense?

2. Does the new Trickshot Soul trait from Psionics Augmented: Soulknife add to a soulknife (psychic armory)'s ranged attacks?

3. A tactician (amplifier) does not have the action type for Inevitable Strike (which unfortunately shares the same name as a certain psionic power) listed, and 3.5's "standard action by default for special abilities" provision no longer exists in Pathfinder. Is it a standard, move, or swift action?

4. Why is the tactician (commander)'s Unwilling Participant feat still Wisdom-based on a class split between Intelligence and Charisma?

5. Does an orange prism ioun stone add to manifester level under default psionics-magic transparency?

6. Are discipline powers considered to be in a "class power list" for the purpose of the Extra Power Known feat? If so, must a psion actually possess the discipline?

7. As currently written, the Genesis psionic power demands a cost of 25,000 gp only when the demiplane is first made permanent, thereby allowing a psion to constantly add to the demiplane's size without spending more gp. Is this deliberate or unintentional?

8. Are Concealing Amorpha and Greater Concealing Amorpha defeated by Firesight Goggles from Steelforge?

9. Detect Hostile Intent allows you to "make Sense Motive checks as a free action." For what purpose? Does this apply only to Sense Motive's base uses as a skill, or *anything* involving Sense Motive, such as Scarlet Throne maneuvers?
>>
>>43908485
>Psionic Meditation
Yeah, I'd almost consider this one a tax--but only if you're going to be expending your focus regularly. For psions, who have to expend it to power metapsionic feats, I can totally see this as necessary. For my marksman? Proooobably not as heavily required.

>Sleeping Goddess and Mithral Current
I'm in a game where one of the PCs uses Mithral Current along with the bushi class-neutral archetype/template/whatever. It's working out VERY well for her.
>>
Hey /pfg, so I'm wanting to do a Bloodborne style campaign, what classes should I include and what should I use to emulate that frenetic combat?
>>
>>43908541
None, you should be playing a different game.

Alternatively, PoW classes and archetypes only probably.
>>
>>43907417
The only wrong thing with 25PB is that it's not 32+PB
>>
>>43908634
Oh god.
>>
File: Pinkreaction-1.png (331KB, 686x689px) Image search: [Google]
Pinkreaction-1.png
331KB, 686x689px
>>43908143
I'll do what I damn well please

though of course I'm a koala
>>
Reminder Aroden looks like Genghis Khan
>>
>>43908541
Play that swordwank game /tg/'s making instead.
>>
>>43908528
>For psions, who have to expend it to power metapsionic feats
You act like there aren't people who take a class and do only the most basic of things with it.
>>
Is mythic adventures broken?
>>
>>43908638
My GM approved 84 pts (14 in all stats) at a 1:1 distribution, following same guidelines for min and maxes (nothing under 7, nothing over 18 before racials)
>>
>>43908675
thats just 30 points
>>
>>43908675
I don't think you know how point buy works.
>>
>>43908687
I'll be honest the 1:1 was attractive because for the first time we didn't have to roll stats so it definitely felt like an upgrade. Not sure how that translates to 30pb but I assume that's good
>>
>>43908693
>not wanting 1:1 distribution

You make it sound like a bad thing
>>
>>43908702
No a flat array of 14 points is fucking terrible.
>>
>>43908198
You know what, fuck it, bring it on. I'm curious now.

>>43908267
Her Highness always matches. Her morals may be questionable but her taste is not.
>>
>>43908710
It's not a flat array... it's what a flat array would look like.

It's 84 pts of 1:1 distribution that is objectively superior
>>
>>43908702
Google 'pathfinder point buy calculator'.
>>
>>43907417
25 PB is practically the minimum my group runs games at. Anything less just tells people to play classes dependent on only one or two stats, and then dump the rest.

Hell, even 30 PB can get a tiny bit dumpy if you're playing a class like the monk.

>>43908634
32 seems like a good sweet spot if you're running a MAD-heavy campaign and don't want your players dumping stats.
>>
Sometimes I get the feeling /pfg/ wants to talk about waifus more than Pathfinder.
>>
>>43908709
Might be interesting to try, but it ain't point buy.
>>
>>43908491
1.No. It's having the Flurry of Fists bladeskill, while the blade skills class feature comes online at 2.

2. Yes. Panoply is a mind blade-equivalent ability.

3. It actually does still exist; RAW it's a standard, per ww.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Use-Special-Ability

4. Because it's a feat, and that's what the feat says.

5. PF's transparency says "Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics." So, yes.

6. If you are of that discipline, yes they are a class power. If not, no, you'd need Expanded Knowledge to get them.

7. That is a correct reading of the power. You do not need to spend more than 25,000 GP once the effect is made permanent.

8. "Outlined creatures do not benefit from the concealment normally provided by darkness (though a 2nd-level or higher magical darkness effect functions normally), blur, displacement, invisibility, or similar effects." RAW, the answer is yes.

9. It applies to the skill only. Those other things have their own action costs, and the Sense Motive check is a non-action.
>>
>>43908734
only one person's talking about waifus in this thread, everyone else is arguing about point buy and psychics.
>>
>>43907441
Having checked the RAW and talked to Viking Boss, the answer to this is that the ability itself does not care about the guns handedness; you'd use the handedness of your gun, using the same damage regardless (although a rifle would let your use 1.5 Str). Generally this would not be finesseable.

As to why the discrepancy, it's probably because this was written way before the others.
>>
File: 929.jpg (159KB, 680x1029px) Image search: [Google]
929.jpg
159KB, 680x1029px
>>43908734
/pfg/ isn't a cohesive individual, and we like to have a large selection of subjects to talk about. Builds, lore, homebrew, waifu, the topics come and go. For example, this is the third or fourth time we've talked about preferred point buy, yet we are doing it again.
>>
>>43908759
He's trying to egg on pfg to derail to discuss waifu.

Ignore him.

Also back in topic: your char creation system a shit.
>>
>>43908716
I feel like if I was honest I'd probably get banned for derailing a thread with sexual harrassment.

So instead I'll ask, what triggers the +2 to damage from using unarmed/discipline weapons with broken blade? Do you have to use a broken blade strike? Can you just be in a stance?
>>
>>43908734
Pathfinder sucks, everyone loves waifus though loving marriage with a tiefling!

If you want on-topic discussion like some sort of fag, I guess I'll post some greentext.

>GM explicitly wants to run an anime-as-fuck high school delinquent campaign, total kitchen sink
>heavy focus on martials and being typical anime-tier powerful since everything is nonlethal
>make a cyborg aether kineticist (I did a revamp of the entire kineticist at GM request, don't worry)
>GM fucking loves it
>stereotypical autistic player trying to apply real world logic to my character, says it doesn't fit the campaign
>GM himself states it's the best fit for his campaign yet
>player threatens to make a weaboo as fuck character in retaliation
>acts like that's a threat and not what everyone wanted from the campaign in the first place

It's almost funny seeing badwrongfun in action.
>>
>>43908798
It's probably going away in the errata or being limited to UAS if it isn't being removed.

The +2 damage was an artifact from when BB was Unarmed only or something.
>>
>>43908798
Thought it was strikes and boosts maybe?
>>
>>43908798
RAW: It works for any strike from Broken Blade or any attack made with a discipline weapon while in a Broken Blade Stance.

RAI: It doesn't exist. When errata comes out we'll be killing that rule so fast it'll be a war crime.
>>
Delete Panoply blade and chop it up into a blade skill.
>>
>>43908864
Do you intend to keep it for unarmed strikes?
>>
>>43908747

>#2
Does that not mean that Trickshot Soul is essentially a trait that grants a soulknife (psychic armory) a +1 trait bonus to all attack rolls? Does that not make it a near-mandatory trait for all psychic armories? Was the trait written before the psychic armory came into being?

>#4
If psicrystals are worth issuing errata for, such that they are available to nearly any psionicist, then Unwilling Participant could stand to be made Wisdom *or* Charisma-based.

>#7
Does that not make a psion several orders of magnitude more adept at creating demiplanes than other spellcasters, since they could spend 25,000 gp and then spend day after day repeatedly manifesting Genesis?
>>
>>43908874
Almost assuredly not.

>>43908881
>Does that not make it a near-mandatory trait for all psychic armories?
Not really. Nothing is every mandatory for any class unless it's listed on your class table entry. It's a very good trait, but it's hardly the best one around.

>If psicrystals are worth issuing errata for, such that they are available to nearly any psionicist, then Unwilling Participant could stand to be made Wisdom *or* Charisma-based.

It could be, but it isn't.

>Does that not make a psion several orders of magnitude more adept at creating demiplanes than other spellcasters?

Does it matter? At that level and with that level of optimization, the game is effectively so far off the rails that 25,000 GP is more of a nuisance to keep track of than a significant investment of wealth. Especially if you just /make/ your demiplane out of gold. Which you can totally do.
>>
>>43908881
Demiplanes are on the astral plane, so I guess psions should be better at it.
>>
>>43908057
>None of my players seem to be into characters who shoot fire from their hands through willpower and personal energy. They're more into standard characters: completely normal people who've learned how to encode fragments of advanced scientific knowledge into their minds in such a way that using it causes them to forget it (unless they memorised it multiple times).
Maybe I just haven't read enough fantasy, but that doesn't sound very standard.
>>
>>43908667
>>
>>43908961
I can assure that while RAW it's not required you can expect the reality to be seeing it taken on every Psychic Armory.
>>
>>43908986
Yes.
>>
>>43908982
>DnD isn't a standard for fantasy
>>
>>43908667
oh shit. I was going to answer this earlier. I can't go in-depth on this but yes, it is.

>>43909004
defensive speciawhatsit that lets you not be surprised, psionic knack (gifted blade) which is inherently more flexible given the existence of metaphysical weapon, and if the soulknife wants a neat off-list weapon special ability then personalized trick lets them have it. where's room for trickshot soul here?

>>43909033
hey so's harry potter. probably everyone's vision of a wizard at this point.
>>
>>43909004
To be honest I've found that there are other traits I'd rather have. Psychic Armory has a great attack bonus anyway, and I can get better things like +initiative, defensive strategist, or a free demoralize at the start of each fight. Or Natural Blade and Practiced Initiator, if multiclassing out.

It's really fucking strong, but nowhere near mandatory. Soulknives have a lot of traits they want to take.
>>
>>43909004
Remember, I'm the guy who fielded the whole "Deadly Agility ruins STR builds forever!" arguments, as well as the "You can't write a feat that gives AC and REF based on STR, no one will play a DEX character ever again!" debates.

I've essentially disregarded anyone that says "Everyone will take/use X" because despite the frequency with which that cry is rallied, it never, ever happens.

+1 to attack rolls is nice, but in no way game breaking.
>>
>>43908718
>>43908693
And all the others...

A row of flat 14s is 84 points *if you start at zero.* While PF intends you to start at 10 and use their formula for point-buy, starting at 0 and paying 1:1 across is effectively 30 point buy.

So this anon is at plain "Epic Fantasy" tier from PF's system.

>>43908665
No, I'm well aware that PF involves both the "I don't want to do anything but what it says on the can" and "How can I eke every last percent of a percent of power and utility out of this character" player types.
>>
>>43909059
Didn't say it was game breaking, only that it was an auto choice.
>>
>>43909106
Given that there are more useful traits and you only get two or three normally, I don't really see it. If you're burning a feat for all the traits a soulknife could want, then isn't that then balanced?
>>
>>43909106
Those are essentially the same thing from a design perspective. If it's something everyone will take anyway, it breaks the game by forcing people to expend unnecessary resources.

And as has already been noted in the thread, it's not an auto-pick. Just a very good choice.
>>
File: 1447263270212.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1447263270212.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>43907367

I want 2hu pictures to leave.

They're a bitch to find in the catalog and they don't fit Pathfinder at all.
>>
>>43909059
A feat to give Str based AC and Reflex would actually break the game though. Imagine if Giants, Dragons, Barbarians, or anything else that pumps str really took it.

It's mostly ok on Brutal Stalker since it's class restricted, but as a feat it would be too much.
>>
>>43908881
>>43908969
Create Demiplane (and its siblings) only require their expensive material component when you're making the spell itself permanent. Adding features to a permanent or non-permanent demiplane does not require the fee- you could plausibly use the spell and just recast it every few days to extend the duration without ever making it permanent or paying for more than the 500 GP focus.
>>
>>43909144
>what is search
I'd like some variety, too, although I don't mind the touhous. Hey 2hufag, give us some Sanae, will ya?
>>
>>43908440
>>43908488
>Why isn't there a druid archtype or whatever based around oozes?

You mean this?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/cave-druid
>>
File: 1444439143094.jpg (20KB, 234x331px) Image search: [Google]
1444439143094.jpg
20KB, 234x331px
>>43909163

Search is fine but I'd at least want something distinctive when I can't be bothered to search, all the 2hu pictures we've had for OPs have been over-complicated, over-colored and honestly boring.
>>
>>43909214
I prefer something readily identifiable as Pathfinder/DnD too.
>>
>>43909148
>Barbarians shouldn't get STR to AC or REF
>OK on Brutal Slayer

They've got strength parity from the get go. Actually, Brutal Slayer's strength bonus grows faster than Barb's.
>>
>>43909148
No, I don't really see that breaking the game. Powerful option mind you, but I think that argument is just as tired and incorrect as "dex to damage will kill strength"
>>
>>43909241
It's more conditional. Also it's class restricted. I assume you balanced it specifically with the high potential strength in mind.
>>
deadly agility is fine because it doesn't really infringe on the Strength domain of 2 handed weapons, and makes TWF less terrible.
>>
File: touhou final fantasy fanart.jpg (468KB, 800x1094px) Image search: [Google]
touhou final fantasy fanart.jpg
468KB, 800x1094px
>>43909214
Good point. Maybe touhoufag could start using more fantasy crossover themed touhou fanart, if they're the fastest to make a new thread. Like pic related.
>>
>>43909243
Especially considering you can't get 1.5x Dex when two-handing, at least not without some shenanigans I'm not aware of. Plus it only works with weapons you could use Weapon Finesse with, IIRC, which ALSO precludes 2-handing.

Of course, this is probably just rehashing what Elric has said in the past.
>>
>>43909292

Deadly agility is not fine because it makes dex builds objectively superior to strength, since for a tax of maybe 1-2 feats you can have your main hit/damage stat also add to initiative, reflex and AC.
>>
>>43909243
Adding 8 AC to a Hill Giant, about 10 AC to red Dragons, ect.

Str to AC makes your attack rolls similar in effectiveness to combat maneuvers.
>>
>>43909310
So?
>>
File: 1444438961114.jpg (131KB, 612x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1444438961114.jpg
131KB, 612x1000px
>>43909293
>Like pic related.

That isn't actually any better though, it falls into the "overcomplicated and/or what the fuck am I looking at" that plagues the rest of 2hu-fag's OP art.
>>
>>43909310
It only makes them superior to Strength if Thrashing Dragon is around and being bullshit. DSP, are you guys going to errata the TWF full attack stuff to be less superior to everything in PoW?
>>
>>43909310
I don't see why you're insistent about this when both the typical STR based martial and this ultra-SAD DEX-based martial are still basically just playing the wizard's man-servants.
>>
>>43909296
Even if you could get 1.5x to damage (UC rogue can, but that's a sizable dip for it) it wouldn't make a difference. Strength can do these things from the start, so making a feat (or two-feat chain) that allows you to use DEX instead already puts it behind the curve in exchange for being more SAD.

Unless you're playing a fighter, feats are a semi-valuable resource, and if you're playing a fighter and complaining about dex-to-damage you can promptly go fuck yourself with a chainsaw. That's my thinking anyway.

>>43909323
The GM can also just beef the monsters up by adding that AC as a flat value, I don't see where monsters using this feat comes into play.
>>
>>43909335
You know, this gets asked basically every thread I'm in. The answer hasn't changed. Errata after PoW:E is done and we don't hate everything anymore.
>>
>>43909334

Eh. I don't mind it. I have >>>/tg/pfg bookmarked so that it'll autofill from my address bar.

Truth be told, a while back I thought it was neat when /pfg/ got touhou pictures, especially in the rare cases that there were a couple in a row. I'm tired of it.

If you want better thread images, be quicker on the draw to start a new thread when it hits 300 posts.
>>
>>43909335
>It only makes them superior to Strength if Thrashing Dragon is around and being bullshit.

Dex Build
+ Has better reflex saves
+ Has better Initiative
+ Has better AC
= Hits as hard as STR build
= Hits as often as STR build
- Costs maybe a feat more
- You can't get 1.5x str damage I guess, boo hoo.
>>
>>43909310
It's only superior if you can get an unnaturally high dex.

Initiative on martials matters less.
Reflex isn't important.
Max Dex bonus on armor is a thing

Str will have better full attacks, you get benefit from size increases beyond damage per attack, you don't crumple under the weight of a backpack.
>>
>>43909368
>= Hits as hard as STR build
>- You can't get 1.5x str damage I guess, boo hoo.

does not compute
>>
Remember when it made sense to go on a quest for a magical item? remember when magical items were actually interesting? Me nether.
>>
File: 1445114834677.png (242KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1445114834677.png
242KB, 700x700px
>>43909368
>= Hits as hard as STR build
>- You can't get 1.5x str damage I guess, boo hoo

DA does not kill STR you mongoloid.
>>
>>43909368
>You do less damage and have a lower attack roll when finessing a reach weapon and size increased.
>>
>>43909368
>spend 2 or three of the maybe six feats your character gets.
>>
File: 1444280798993.png (99KB, 494x375px) Image search: [Google]
1444280798993.png
99KB, 494x375px
>>43909360

The problem with the Touhou art we're getting now isn't so much it's Touhou art and more it's the type of Touhou art that's so detailed and content-packed as to become boring and forgettable when you're sifting through the catalog. It's all browns and earthy greens and loads of color in a compact file.

Pic related is a better type of Touhou image, it's not as detailed but easier for the eye to pick up.
>>
>>43909374
Initiative on martials matters more, because if you don't hit first, then you either play second fiddle to spellcasters or you get mind controlled into uselessness.
>>
>>43909395
They never really were. The best thing to do to make magic items interesting is to make sure that the "normal" magic (+numbers that keep you from dying instantly, the mandatory abilities like flight) is common, and make unique magic items that do interesting things a thing. Like that sword from Steelforge, which I'm thinking of trying to convince my DM to put into our campaign.
>>
>>43909409
>making shit up
>>
>>43909435
It's a valid concern outside of PoW.
>>
>>43909409
Hurray! Win initiative then delay so you can get first round buff from your caster!

Blessing of Fervor, Haste, telekinetic charge, communal resist energy, enlarge person, and more!
>>
>>43909368
>do less damage
>>
>>43909352
And I agree with you, anon. I like Deadly Agility--mostly because it's one of the things that makes my preferred, swashbuckly, Death By A Thousand Cuts playstyle actually viable.
>>
>>43909440
No it isn't. I'd write up a brick wall of text telling you why, but this argument has been made far too many times for it to be worth the effort any more.

Suffice to say, no, you're wrong. Going first is a good thing, but not when you're going to be waiting on those vital buffs anyway.

>implying a fighter would be outdoing a wizard in initiative anyway
>>
>>43909440
No it's not. It's very rare for a character to get hard dominated. You get two will saves, the second one with a +2, many classes and races get a bonus Vs mind effecting stuff, and all the good martials suck at failing saves.

Paladins, Barbs, Aegis, Marksman, Soulknives, and gishes all have high will saves.
>>
>>43909454
>assuming casters actually buff martials instead of themselves
>assuming casters can't end the fight in a single round
PoW really hasn't changed this.
>>
So can you qualify for Metaforge by being Soulknife 1/Aegis 3 with Fighter's Blade?

Also, does Fighter's Blade count for the "advance gifted blade progression whenever enhanced mind blade is progressed" high psionics rule?
>>
File: 1418521657981.jpg (85KB, 749x720px) Image search: [Google]
1418521657981.jpg
85KB, 749x720px
>>43909454

>He doesn't charge in and fuck shit up on the first round
>He doesn't let the caster do their buffs after you're already in the thick of things

You guys are so boring.
>>
>>43909508
Doesn't Fighter's Blade require Soulknife 3?

And no, it doesn't. That stuff only applies to PrC progressions.
>>
How is the balance if you simultaneously se Path of War and Spheres of Power?
>>
>>43909505
Yeah because Path of War does very little to actually change a martials tier. Just makes em a bit more sturdy and higher damage.

Also Casters never were able to do this. Why would a caster buff themself? What are they gonna do with that buff? Nothing.

Most enounters that could be solved with a single spell are easy enounters and you should thank the caster for keeping you out of a time wasting fight.
>>
>>43909368
>Has better reflex saves
Least important of all saving throws, especially when your character has a lot of HP

>Has better Initiative
Most of the time you're going to want your party's casters to go before your martials anyway.

+ Has better AC
>Less relevant at higher levels where miss chances become a better defense.

= Hits as hard as STR build
Not with out 1.5x stat to damage it doesn't.

= Hits as often as STR build
You might have this one thing, I guess, but amusingly it's the one thing that you can already do without Deadly Agility.

- Costs maybe a feat more
Two feats more, Weapon Finesse and Deadly Agility itself. That means it takes two feats before it's online, which means all your other feats get pushed back two slots. While the STR-based martial gets to take Power Attack at level 1, you're waiting until level 3 or 5.

- You can't get 1.5x str damage I guess, boo hoo.
Yes.
>>
>>43909560
>Most of the time you're going to want your party's casters to go before your martials anyway.

>pfg complains about casters dominating encounters
>pfg complains about martials going first because they want casters to dominate the encounter
>>
>>43909532
>Doesn't Fighter's Blade require Soulknife 3?

It does require Enhanced Mind Blade, but since it tells you treat your enhanced mind blade as four levels higher, it seems like you could pull some gimmicks by having a magic item give it as a bonus feat without prereqs, or retraining levels out of soulknife once you already have it (though that particular shenanigans might already be barred in the retraining rules, I can't remember).
>>
>>43909560
Wow, I fucked up my formatting something hard. My points should still get across, though. Also something else is that even if it did make a DEX focus the better option, some people would still go STR based because it better fits their concept.
>>
>>43909578
Bitch, casters should go first so that they can buff the martials so the martials can rip and tear to defend the casters. It's about having a party that works together intelligently instead of four or five murderhobos that all just do their own thing.
>>
>>43909511
>Round 1 A
I am soulknife
I win initiative
I charge and hurt a dude, not bad!
Caster casts Blessing of Fervor
I eat a full attack

>Round 1 B
I am Soulknife
I win initiative, but delay
Blessing of fervor
Wizard casts telekinetic charge
I get a free charge attack on some mofo
I come into initiative
Super full attack
Enemy ded
I don't eat a full attack
>>
>>43909578
Hello Buildposter, I almost missed your trademark retardation. No, that's not the argument. Martials going first doesn't fix that problem first off, and second off the force multipliers SHOULD be going first just by virtue of them multiplying force.

So when a martial goes first he's firing off half-cocked, which means going first as a pure martial is not a big enough advantage to knock Deadly Agility.
>>
>>43909612
>>43909620
>>43909626

And yet a general doesn't go by when someone starts an argument about casters dominating encounters and how their buffs are more useful for themselves, rather than the martial.

Know what sucks more than going in half-cocked as a pure martial? Waiting for the wizard to do their thing only to find them using Entangle on the whole mess, meaning you can't get in there without getting Entangled yourself.
>>
>>43909505
I mean they can, but it's often easier to dimension door or telekinetic charge the barbarian into range that it is to kill it yourself. Or just let the bow fighter kill it on it's turn while you solve other problems that the martial can't solve easier.

>>43909578
bait

>>43909626
THAT ISN'T ME
>>
>>43909667
Sweet they got entangled! Like shooting fish in a barrel! Not only that, but if they're melee then they have to come to me!

High five caster!
>>
>>43909667
This is all so very irrelevant to the discussion of deadly agility's power level.

Unconditional dex-to-damage for a couple of feats is not the swan song of strength, neither is STR to reflex and AC for DEX.
>>
>>43909689
Once again, str to AC and Reflex is actually a problem.
>>
>>43909293
i want buront to leave
>>
>>43909689
wait it's not?

>>43909705
Agreed. What does DEX actually do besides AC and Ref?
>>
>>43909710
>What does DEX actually do besides AC and Ref?

Provides bonuses to legitimately useful skills.
>>
>>43909710
Stealth and Acrobatics. Two pretty good skills.
>>
>>43909705
No it isn't. Reflex is a crappy save and AC isn't better than flat miss chances at high levels.

If you bring up the dragon and giant again you're a retard.
>>
>>43909667
That's a problem with your wizard not having the sense to know what spells are appropriate to which situation, not a problem with him going before you. Played half-competantly, the caster shouldn't be dropping the spells that are going to fuck you as much as your enemies in most situations. Plus, I don't think I've heard many people say the wizard should be starting by laying down buffs on themselves. What, are you talking about stuff like Wind Wall and Mirror Image? Those can be important, but they're not what you should be leading every combat with.

Also PS, Entangle isn't on the wizard's spell list.
>>
>>43909724
If you don't think the Dragon or Giant gaining 7-15 AC is a problem then you have bigger things to worry about than I do.
>>
>>43909731
I remember my introduction to character optimization came from a guy who read a handbook and started every single fucking fight by casting Obscuring Mist in a party full of melee beatsticks and blaming us for not being optimized.
>>
>>43908819
Tell him to make the character, then laugh at him when everyone in the party out-weebs him. Laugh harder when the king/queen/principal/leader of the region out-weebs him and drops him to 0 HP.
>>
>>43909754
I do think it's a problem, but that's not an issue with the feat. The GM doesn't need a fucking feat to do that, because they are not beholden to the rules. Unless you're playing the game as a RAW player-vs.-GM game, then your argument is entirely irrelevant outside of PFS where that feat wouldn't even exist regardless.

Yes, it's a retarded argument.
>>
>>43909731
Entangle in this situation is still probably really good. Combat will take longer to resolve, but you'll likely lose less resources. Especially if the entangled enemies aren't archers/casters.
>>
>>43909754
But the Dragon and the Giant would have to take that feat too.
>>
File: 1447463516890.png (474KB, 719x765px) Image search: [Google]
1447463516890.png
474KB, 719x765px
>>43893377

Just wanted to update this by saying I discovered the party's actually at level 18 now.

What madness could one do with a level 18 Zweihander Sentinel.
>>
>>43909754
>lol i can just add numbers to monster's stat blocks and everything is fine guys
No it isn't asshat. Some of us actually play with people who don't build optimized characters and some of them actually target things like AC or HP.

>>43909780
Depends on the DM. The rules don't work at all past level 12 without significant house-ruling.
>>
>>43908881
If a +1 to attack rolls is mandatory to your build, you're playing pretty badly; "mandatory" implies that you absolutely need the trait to function, which you do not. Reactionary's a very good trait too, giving you almost the same effect as Improved Initiative, but not every character needs or even wants it if something else looks better.
>>
>>43909778
And why wouldnt they? Due to their inate sizes they have a lot to gain. Running around with Str over 30 and dex under 10.

Additionally the feat removes one of the important choices made when picking a class and combat Style. For example the Barbarian generally chooses to forsake conventional defenses in order to make combat into a race to 0 hp. Str to AC removes that weakness completely.
>>
>>43909053
Harry Potter magic is if they traded out a Kineticist's Burn with some other effect, like Wild Magic. Be honest with yourself, it is.
>>
>>43909795
Yes a str to AC feat does that.

Incidentally I would be pretty happy with a Str to Reflex feat.
>>
>>43909825
It's not like the DM /has/ to add that feat to every dragon and giant, why would they even do that?
>>
>>43909825
>For example the Barbarian generally chooses to forsake conventional defenses in order to make combat into a race to 0 hp. Str to AC removes that weakness completely.
Never mind one of the more popular barbarian builds where it stacks a fuckton of DR on itself, which is another one of those things that are better than AC if you can get it.
>>
How many 1PP ways are there to play as a large sized or bigger character?
>>
>>43909754
Wait, so you mean that the iconic enemies that are supposed to be big and bad and fuck your shit up, and which typically die in all of maybe 2 rounds max, might actually get a chance to be NOT shit and finally be a challenge?

How awful.
>>
>>43909844
>Yeah Sacred Geometry is broken, so a DM doesn't HAVE to use it on his spellcasting NPCs.

Why publish a feat you don't want people to use?
>>
>>43909780
Greater Vital Strike+Seize the Opportunity AoO setup, with the level 12 ZS ability making you deal 2x damage, and using the Intruder's End counter for a fuck-ass huge range. Combat setup-Win initiative, Encouraging Roar/Strength of Hell/something similar, Defensive Zone-intruder's end the moment your turn ends-threaten a 40-feet radius area of fuck-you. Kill everything that moves-end.
>>
Is there rules for a tribe management mini-game? like the ultimate campaign rules for a city but for a smaller mobile tribe instead?
>>
>>43909862
Synthesist summoner at 8th level, Kineticist (please don't do this) at 5th level, permanent Enlarge Person whenever you can afford it or whenever the wizard can get permanency.

From the start? I don't think there is any.
>>
>>43909862
You mean Enlarge Person?
>>
>>43909310
It's harder to improve your Dexterity than it is to just buy better armor when it comes to AC, which also has the effect of causing your Maximum DEX bonus to be reduced.
You're not getting Power Attack bonuses to it, a vital part of any melee beatstick.
Barbarians either have to go Unchained, or have to get the Urban Barbarian archetype to benefit from it at all.
It's a two-feat investment when most other martial styles need only 1 feat of investment, or are ALREADY dexterity-based and require even more than 2 feats (archery comes to mind).
Your Reflex save is the least important save in the game.
In a dungeon-crawl style of game, carrying capacity is actually important to have.
>>
>>43909890
No I mean like a base race that starts a large size. Why doesn't this exist?

>>43909895
>In a dungeon-crawl style of game, carrying capacity is actually important to have.
agreed except for this part. Bags of holding, muleback cords. An ACTUAL MULE. Carry capacity is just a logistical issue.
>>
>>43909866
This is totally unrelated to the current discussion, but I think that this is a legitimate point here.

Any content published should, at least in some way, have a legitimate role that it's intended for, and other potential uses too. If it can't fit into a build/character easily, or at minimum have something that it could get used for and used WELL for, then it shouldn't even be printed.
>>
>>43909910
Dont muleback cords take up your shoulder slot?
>>
>>43909895
>Your Reflex save is the least important save in the game.
Most people think that until they get hit by monsters using dazing fireballs.
>>
>>43909922
Yes, which generally means they're worthless. Still, they exist.
>>
>>43909839
You say that, but there are a lot of specialized spells including but not limited to a spell that exists solely to repel a creature that preys on fearful chumps. I don't think kineticists would have anything like turn undead.
>>
>>43909547
It makes combat feel very much like a videogame, in a good way.
>>
>>43909930
Rather than then suggestion or dominate person.
>>
>>43909684
Buildposter being reasonable? Say it ain't so. Keep doing that.
>>
>>43909910
Probably because large size has naturally increased reach which is pretty good for a melee type.
>>
>>43909910
Trox
>>
>>43909910
>No I mean like a base race that starts a large size. Why doesn't this exist?
Equipment costs extra for them, they can't fit into most human settlements and buildings, and it'd be silly not to play one if you want to fill the role of beatstick, as they have increased reach, damage, and probably Constitution.
>>
>>43909956
Buildposter can't be reasonable nigga legitimately thinks Archer figheters and zen archers are better than paladins
>>
>>43909960
So how about a large-sized yet feeble race, with a racial penalty to STR?
>>
>>43909731
>Plus, I don't think I've heard many people say the wizard should be starting by laying down buffs on themselves.
I could see it back in 3.5, with a Wizard 3/Fighter 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5. But at that point, they were just playing a Magus Beta Edition.
>>
>>43909895
1: There are many ways to obviate the dex penalties of armor and armor is overrated at high levels.
2: True.
3: Why bother with barbarians at all when dex based characters do better by far at many other things?
4: There are no one-feat invested martial styles - you need to sink at least two feats into anything martial to get any use out of them.
5: Up to a certain point. Damage still kills.
6: Considering how cheap alternatives are, this is a ridiculous claim.
>>
>>43909872
>>43909795

The build also calls for gestalt, should he go for Paladin, or Oracle?
>>
>>43909956
>Implying i'm not usually reasonable
>Implying i don't post here all the time

>>43909975
no I don't. Also you are dumb.
They can deal similar levels of damage, and are about equal in the "that needs to die" category. That's it.

>>43909985
Oracle. Full casting for more bullshit.
>>
>>43909933
Easy enough to create Talents for it. Actually, fuck, that sounds like a neat alternate class.
>>
>>43909976
I wouldn't even give them a penalty, because the one large size race Paizo made ans supports has +6.
>>
>>43909976
Maybe, though why do you want to play a large sized race so badly?
>>
>>43909999
except they're not and i proved that too you mathematically last time you said that.
>>
>>43909985
Paladin has a lot of tools that support the "you are my bitch" niche, but is redundant with the warder's chassis, so that's something to consider.
>>
>>43910002
Why not just make a "giant race" that is human, -bonus feat, +large size?
>>
>>43910026
see: >>43873676
>>
>>43910038
and you still don't understand that 'shooting that one big evil thing really hard' is much more valuable than 'shoot some lesser, not as evil, big, or dangerous things hard, but not as hard as the paladin shoots the big evil thing
>>
>>43910029
His request for first party possibly implies he has the type of GM who doesn't like homebrewed stuff for players, which custom races (though supported by 1pp) could possibly fall under.
>>
>>43909985
Inquisitor.
>>
>>43910028

The common misconception about the Warder is Clad in Steel adds Int to your reflex/initiative scores, in truth it replaces Dex for both.

A dip into Paladin would get the character Divine Grace and all the auras they need to be unstoppable, the rest could be dumped into Oracle.
>>
>>43910063
>shoot one big evil thing for X or shoot non-evil thing for .6*x or shoot multiple things (evil or not) for .6*x
>shoot one big evil thing or one big not-evil thing or a variety of evil or non-evil things for .9*x or shot
>>
Do you guys have any thoughts on these feat paths for a mysterious stranger gunslinger?

Deadly Aim - Level 4
Weapon Focus (pistol) - Level 5
Snap Shot - Level 7
Improved Snap Shot - Level 8
Combat Reflexes - Level 9

or

Deadly Aim - Level 4
Precise Shot - Level 5
Clustered Shots - Level 7
Improved Critical - Level 8
Hammer the Gap(?maybe something else) - Level 9

With me already having rapid reloading, point blank shot, and rapid shot.
>>
>>43910087
But this is pathfinder

you're shooting a big evil thing.
>>
>>43909067
>A row of flat 14s is 84 points *if you start at zero.* While PF intends you to start at 10 and use their formula for point-buy, starting at 0 and paying 1:1 across is effectively 30 point buy.

Only if you have a row of 14s across all stats. It's 51 point buy if you have 3 18s and 3 10s and 52 point buy if you got 18 18 18 14 8 8. Just one 18 pre-racials pushes the pointbuy up by about 7 points, depending on where you take those points from.
>>
>>43910063
That's only true if your DM makes shitty mooks.

What if you run into an encounter where the BBEG is a Caster and his only goal is to make the situation as advantageous to his Underlings as possible? He just needs his side to win combat since a scroll of raise dead is enough to bring him back. Sure, ignore those mooks.
>>
>>43910135
Your DM seriously puts you against single enemies? Why?
>>
>>43908798
Anon you're making my self esteem feel funny. Like I'm loved.
>>
>>43910154
>>43910148
well i mean, usually PF combat has ONE BIG EVIL THING and some smaller things.

Usually the flow of combat is that the wizards and shit buff/control the smaller things so that the primary threat can get killed ASAP

The Paladin is the best at killing that primary threat.
>>
>>43910163
>loved
>kept in a rape dunegon and molested hourly
uhuh sure bud.
>>
>>43910179
In your games I guess. No wrong way to play.
>>
Question, can a Psychic Armory have both its hands occupied without suffering any penalty to its Panoply's attacks? Was thinking of having the second hand (The other having a shield) pickup a shortspear to use a Knight's Pennon of Battle with.
>>
>>43910180
There's the normal feeling of terror and flattery. All is right again.
>>
>>43910210
Yes, but you can't fight with two weapons while using the panoply, iirc.
>>
>>43910236
Doesn't matter, just want the heroism bonus, and I need to have the spear in hand to activate it.
>>
>>43909866
People using something is an entirely different thing from the GM applying it to monsters that would benefit from it the most. For starters, things like sacred geometry are just as broken(if not more so!) in the hands of PCs. The GMs goal is not to make monsters as powerful as possibly while still technically keeping their CR intact(or at least, it shouldn't be in a normal game!). It's to make suitably challenging encounters for the party(where the definition of suitable can vary wildly from group to group).
>>
>>43910200
Yea I mean his DM might be new or something. Players usually win those fights just by the nature of the action economy.
>>
>>43910254
As I tell my players, don't use it if you don't want me to use it.
>>
On the subject of Psicrystals and focus, why is Deep Focus harder to get than Psicrystal affinity when Psicrystal affinity+Containment is so much better?
>>
>>43910180
What? Since when did we ever do that?
>>
>>43910380
I am also wondering this. In fact, before DSP said they were going to errata psicrystal affinity at some point, I considered Trick Shot Soul mandatory for my soulknives not because of the attack bonus, but because it gives you a manifester level of 1 and qualifies you for Psicrystal Affinity.
>>
>>43910403
Speaking of Psionic stuff and errata....

Any chance they can errata deep crystal weapon charging to be once per round?
>>
Do divine spells have a chance of failure? I ask because I've decided to do Warder/Oracle for maximum tank, but I don't know just how good I'll be at healing in the middle of killing things.
>>
>>43910419
2-12 damage per hit is that overwhelming given the power point cost?
>>
>>43910432
>Do divine spells have a chance of failure?
No.

>but I don't know just how good I'll be at healing in the middle of killing things.
mid-combat healing is shit, don't worry about that.
>>
>>43910432
Natively, no, divine magic does not suffer from spell fail % chance. That's why it's got that word "arcane" tacked on.

There ARE some ways to induce it. For example, a warder (from Path of War) can inflict spell fail % chance on ANY caster with their Armiger's Mark.
>>
>>43910432
Divine spells with a casting time of standard, full-round, or 1-round (yes there's a distinction) or longer, can't be cast in melee without drawing attacks; the only exception is if you make your caster level + Charisma check (oracle's concentration) to cast the spell defensively. if you fail it, you'll risk getting hit, in which case you need to make a second concentration check to not lose the spell.
>>
File: Augur.jpg (356KB, 723x936px) Image search: [Google]
Augur.jpg
356KB, 723x936px
So, my party has just finished the current session, and we've gotten enough experience to level up (level 6, for those curious). I'm the odd one out in my group, since I've been playing a frontliner, which is fairly standard, but I haven't been advancing as a normal character - instead, I've been level up with Troll racial HD, because that's what my character is.

with that out of the way, my party is all expecting me to get a class level in Fighter or Barbarian or something. But I have other plans. Rather than just run around as a beatstick (the druid covers that nicely, now that he's gotten into summoning), I've decided that my character's first actual class level is going to be none other than Witch! Now, the character is a moron, given she has 8 intelligence, but that's not going to stop me anyways; the GM has okay-ed Scarred Witch Doctor for trolls, and for it being constitution dependant!

Now, as is probably obvious, this is kind of an unusual direction to take a troll, which is why I'm coming to you guys. I love the concept, and going with a SWD fits the character's backstory better than a warrior type, but it being so unorthodox means I'm not actually certain how to build it. Hexes will be the obvious ones of sleep, Cackle, Evil Eye, and so on, but I'm not sure what spells or items to go for, what considerations should be made. that sort of thing. Anybody willing to help give me some ideas?
>>
>>43910454
He's playing a warder, if you read closer. And if you read the armiger's mark, the spell failure chance only applies to arcane spellcasters.
>>
>>43910215
Gareth, question. The Dervish Defender Warder's Two-Weapon Defense ability mentions:
>not using a shield heavier than a buckler
Question: A Darkwood Heavy Wooden shield is actually not heavier than a buckler. I know it's cheesy, but can I use Two-Weapon Defense alongside it?
>>
>>43910466
There's rules for playing a troll?
>>
>>43910436
Yes.
>>
>>43910469
Huh. I wonder if that got fixed/updated. Obviously I remembered something different, but the last time I looked at playing a warder in-depth was very early this year (that game has since fallen apart).
>>
>>43910466
Try the prehensil hair hex too, that way you can punch people using your con.
>>
>>43910419
>>43910487
Out of curiosity, you're only doing it once per attack, right? And you're at a level where you can actually afford a deep crystal weapon?
>>
>>43910472
>Question: A Darkwood Heavy Wooden shield is actually not heavier than a buckler. I know it's cheesy, but can I use Two-Weapon Defense alongside it?

It's not just the weight; it's the physical size, too. A heavy shield requires to you strap it to your hand so you physically cannot put anything in that hand; it's holding the shield's strap.

Also Two Weapon Defense gives a shield bonus to AC and shield bonuses do not stack with each other, so even if the above answer was a "yes" it still wouldn't work.
>>
>>43910482
Yeah, there's rules for playing monsters in general.

you take the CR of the creature. That is your effective level.

My GM and I worked out a leveling system to get all the goodies trolls get over a period of five levels, since that's how much CR trolls natively have. the overall rules for CR are on page 314 of the Bestiary 1 if you wanna check them out.

>>43910498
Damn, that's a great idea. Thanks.
>>
>>43910511
Actually, Two-Weapon Defense grants an untyped bonus to AC equal to intelligence, and the DSP devs have stated that Shield of Blades' "improving" to shield AC is meant to stack if with a buckler.
>>
What should I do about the 9th level Veiled Moon maneuver if my setting has no astral plane(or any planes) and teleportation "just works".
>>
>>43910553
Teleport them to the void of space
>>
>>43910461
>>43910454
>>43910453

Thanks for pointing that out, it's been a long time since I've played a caster, much less divine.

On that note, would Life Oracle be best for this build if the party lacks a proper healer? Or are there better options available to someone playing a front-line Warder.
>>
What cantrips are good for a witch to take?
>>
>>43910509
For an archer adding an extra 2d6 for all the accurate shots in your full attack it's pretty effective.

Also Deep Crystal is cheap as fuck.
>>
File: 1447818175701.jpg (292KB, 1280x916px) Image search: [Google]
1447818175701.jpg
292KB, 1280x916px
Hey all, anon with "unrespectful" dm here!
We had another session in the adventure that made us face our own characters, as you fought over what is acceptable or not.

>We start the session as usual
>"You finally manage to strike the kidnappers stomach, delivering the killing blow."
>"As you escort the Major's mother outside, you see a group of people climbing the stairs"
>"You recognize the group as the Howling Wolves, but you can't focus yourself on why they're actually famous"
>"You settle down peacefully, even if you see they have some rancor for having the paycheck stolen"
>"You still feel you'll have to be careful in your personal errands, though..."

The DM is going to let us play a session with each group, and developing the story from there. I guess he'll see later if we bond with one's group more, or the ambitions of others. So far i think its gonna be quite messy at the start, but we'll see. I still have some faith in my DM. Maybe i'm too naive.
>>
>>43910535
Ah. Once again, a case of a class feature unfortunately having the exact same name as a feat.
>>
Quick question. For spells with 1rd casting time like summon monster and sleep, do you need to mark where your aoe Lands/summon appears during the initial casting or can you mark it as you finish casting?
>>
>Aged Oracle Curse
>You are a venerable member of your race. However, your physical abilities are affected as though you were old, rather than venerable.

>At 5th level, your physical abilities are affected as though you were middle-aged, rather than old.

I may be reading this wrong, but does this mean I'm getting +3s to all my Mental Scores at the cost of -1 to all my physical?
>>
>>43910813
Looks like. The fuck, paizo.
>>
I want to shoot things with a bow. I've got 10 levels to build with and a 25 pt. buy. Pretty much anything is on the table as long as I can show it to the GM. So /pfg/ how do I shoot mans?
>>
>>43910669
You might be too naive, but I think /pfg/ might be too bitter, so in the end it's probably best to just roll with your own judgement and experience but remember to always be civil about things.
>>
>>43910813
>>43910842
It's 3PP, so you can't blame Paizo for that one.
>>
>>43910849
Human Warlord, Martial Tradition into Elemental Flux and Trait into Silver Crane-with this basic setup you should manage to shoot almost anything with brutal power. Get the racial FCB for another two feats, and make sure to grab Elemental Nimbus stance for 2x Cha to Fire damage and Silver Crane's Spiral for a huge AoE.
Stat Distribution
14 STR 15 DEX (+2 racial +2 levelup) 13 CON 10 INT 10 WIS 16 CHA
>>
>>43910924
The fuck, 3pp.
>>
>>43910813
No, you are getting a +6 to all mental scores for a -1 to all phyisical scores. Age bonuses and penalties stack.
>>
Where should I go with this character?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=204518

3.5, pf, and 3pp are mostly allowed. Certain things aren't, like Words of Creation, but I'd have to check with the DM on specifics.
>>
>>43910984

+6? Where are you getting that from? The mental ability scores don't stack, the most you'll get is +3 from being venerable because each age category only adds 1 to mental stats.
>>
>>43911022
Oh my bad, assumed each age category added the same mental stats as it subtracted physical ones.
Still, the fuck, RJ Brady.
>>
>>43911051
>>43911022
>>43910984
>>43910924
>>43910842

Didn't notice the 3pp until you mentioned it, damn.

That really doesn't leave me with a lot of effective oracle curses, most of the good ones are 3pp and the Paizo ones are very forgettable. I assume Lame is my best bet, since I'll be getting 20 feet movement in heavy armor anyway?

Holy shit, I just realized I could do Warlord/Oracle for that amazing Charisma synergy, AND my hands would be available for spellcasting.
>>
What's the best 1pp gestalt combo?
>>
>>43911201
Unchained Monk and Druid.

Alternatively Hunter and Cleric.
>>
>>43911220
UMonk and Druid, I can probably guess why because of flurrying bears.

Why Hunter/Cleric?
>>
>>43911220
Sorcerer can be fun with a lot of martials actually, since some bloodlines basically function well with it
>>
>>43911228
Hunters are sturdier than most martials and can do more damage.

Replace Cleric with any full caster that casts off Wisdom. I believe there is a Sorc archetype for it too.
>>
>>43911201
Monk/Druid or Unchained Monk/Druid for flurry of natural attacks shenanigans and/or amazing grapple/trip in addition to having amazing stats and 1-9 spellcasting.

Sorceror/Fighter or Sorcer/Barbarian or Sorceror/Bloodrager can also do some mean shit by going into dragon disciple on the sorceror side. You can get absolutely enormous strength along with some handy dandy boosts to natural armor, resistances and whatever the fuck buff spells you want.

Alchemist/Barbarian can still use infusions whilst raging i think, you can get some ridiculous strength going on there.
>>43911220
Why Hunter and Cleric? I'd think you'd want a full bab class if you were going for a Gestalt Cleric.
>>
For a Soulknife, is it a good idea to use the "wisdom instead of strength to attack&damage while focused" blade skill, when all of the other useful blade skills require you to blow your focus before even attacking?
>>
>>43911294
I'm not really seeing where this sturdiness and does more damage stuff comes from. If its spells and animal companion i promise you druid will top that in every way every time.
>>
I am interested in playing a neutral evil bard that constantly diplos/bluffs vs strong enemies, stick to support vs medium enemies and chops up anything else that is weaker or is at a massive disadvantage. Any build ideas? So far the only thing i can think of is some sort of rapier or falchion wielder with leadership for a barbarian cohort for intimidating people or an assassin cohort for discreetly making his enemies go away.
>>
>>43911317

Yes. Take psicrystal affinity or deep focus, and then hold onto the second charge. It makes you a lot more SAD.
>>
>>43911390
Oh and no 3pp please.
>>
>>43911390
have you considered not being an edgy faggot?
>>
>>43911390
Skald
>>
>>43911439
I want to play as a disney villian. Why cant I play as a disney villain?
>>
>>43911439
Playing an evil character doesn't make one edgy.
>>
>>43911326
In theory a Druid can do so by being huge and prebuffing. In practice this does not happen.

Outflank, pack flanking, broken wing gambit, paired opportunist, precise strike.

Animal focus to save money on a belt for yourself and animal.
>>
>>43911390
Well most of the archetypes that make you better in melee don't hurt your diplo/bluff, but they do usually trade a bit of your support.

If you want to fight up close, do your fancy diplo stuff and support all in one this is very possible with the Bard but much easier with the Skald.

Have you considered trying a Skald? They can do some very cool stuff like sharing Lesser Spirit Totem with their whole team so everyone who is benefiting from their song is surrounded by ghosts that beat people up.
>>
>>43911406
Skald is an okay alternative for a smashy bard.

Once you get song of a hundred cuts, your bonuses are in fighter territory. If your DM is not a stickler for fluff restrictions, Dawnflower dervish bards are fighter++ in melee.
>>
>>43911478
>In practice this does not happen
I've literally never seen a druid not do this for every single fight that isn't enemies attacking us where we sleep.
Its trivial to scout ahead.or to work out you are in a dangerous enough place there will be an ambush. Is it not the norm for druids to cast spells?
>>
>>43911501
How your Druid deals with hallways as a huge dinosaur surprises me. Also how he gets his companion to stay relevant surprises me.

Look up the feats I listed.
>>
>>43910805
All decisions are made when you finish casting the spell, I think.
>>
>>43911532
The druid can always turn into a huge earth elemental instead.
>>
>>43911532
Horsemasters saddle or ring of tactical precision lets the druid share those with his animal companion if he wants to. Druid is not a feat starved class in general, so he can if he wants to.
>>
>>43911559
Look up the feats I listed.
>>
>>43911551
Not him, but does that apply for spells with multiple possible material components, such as Restoration?
>>
>>43911481
>>43911482
Yeah, skald seems good. The concept I am going for is someone who takes pains to make himself appear to be some sort of community figure that relies on public opinion to take out things he deems to dangerous. He would personally only pick fights that he is sure to win and prefer to stay out of harms way in fights that put him at moderate risk.

By the way, can light weapons with fencing/slashing grace compete with falchions? It looks like this character is going to be spreading his stats pretty thin already and being able to dump one extra stat seems ideal. For reference we are going for 20 pt buy with 2 traits. I'd like to get high DC's if possible but am willing to stick to buff spells if the stat spread will compromise his melee potential.
>>
>>43911567
Oh god. Talk about future proofing. Guess back in ultimate equipment the devs didnt think they'd ever release a featlike pack flanking.
>>
>>43911609
>By the way, can light weapons with fencing/slashing grace compete with falchions?

Nope, and Skald buffs STR anyway, so that's what you'd want to go with.

Of course, you could go with the hilarious skald/bloodrager/amplified rage on your familiar build, but you need to be an orc/half orc for that.
>>
>>43911478
Okay, those feats amount to a bunch of attack bonuses, some minor extra damage and maybe an AoO. None of them improve your sturdiness and they barely make your attack bonus on par with full BAB classes.
>>
I need your help /pfg/.
Normally, I do NOT do this. I play RPG's for the role play. I will gimp myself to stay in character. Fluff befor crunch always. Optimization or for people born in a vat, not for heros rising to the challange, win or lose

But I have joined the worst group imaginable. I mean, this is bad. Its a path/3.5 mash up and there are player sbringing the most broken ass homebrews. To put it into perspective: We have one whos playing a Saiyan, and one who is a titan from attack on titan.

I had chosen a cleric, and the last player a rogue. Simple characters, average power. I need your help making a broken cleric. We are level 4 right now, and the DM is giving us the chance to redo skills (because the power players, takeing advantage of a new GM, said its the right thing to do). I know clerics can be some of the most bullshit classes in 3.5, but have no idea about pathfinder (which I had chosen to play from).

What path should I start going down?
>>
>>43911678
Could you explain this to me? I dont quite understand what combo that dip is going for. How exactly does it help the bloodrager?
>>
File: 1448749719678.jpg (100KB, 313x750px) Image search: [Google]
1448749719678.jpg
100KB, 313x750px
>>43911736
>need help making a 3.5e cleric broken
Son, you don't need help
>>
>>43911759
but my cleric is a pathfinder one. Also, I have never played a cleric before. I just need to know some feats or spell chains to go for. Or is it just no matter what, its broken?
>>
>>43911739
Bloodrager gets you Rage (improving your Skald bonus to +4/+4 for yourself) and a familiar, using the bloodline familiar variant.

You then grab amplified rage, and share it with your familiar (there are ways for this, tho I can't offhand recall the best one; could make it a valet familiar, for example).

When you start your skald song and have a familiar next to you, you get +8STR and CON (and your familiar gets +6).
>>
File: 1448604875985.png (1MB, 913x1244px) Image search: [Google]
1448604875985.png
1MB, 913x1244px
>>43911790
There is a lot of guides for you to choose from
What do you want to do?
Battle it up? Bad touch? Cast?
>>
>>43911794
Is the level 1 familiar any good at fighting or is it just there to somehow give the bonus back to you?
>>
>>43911306
Barbarian/Alchemist is fucking hilarious when it gets going. Besides allowing you to use infusions while raging, Mummification plus Greater Guarded Life allows you to flat out ignore twice your level in lethal damage of any kind, in addition to giving you some nice fast healing and enough arms to use all your natural attacks simultaneously.
>>
What plane do aeons stay on?
>>
>>43911718
Pack Flanking:we always flank

Outflank: We flank for more and on a crit someone I flank with gets a free AoO

BWG: attacking either of us will provoke an AoO

Paired Opportunist: provoking an AoO from one nets an AoO from both of us. Also a bonus on AoO attack rolls.

Precise Strike: we get extra damage while flanking.

Animal focus: essentially a free +4/+4 belt for both of you at level 8. Spend your dosh elsewhere.

Ranger spell list: Lots of strong defensive buffs early.

Druid spell list: starts getting better when you run out of Ranger spells.

Grab thr Vengeance Strike Ranger trick for a bonus attack whenever your character is attacked.

You can choose to either build your hunter for defense and let your animal companion perfom the murder or focus on offense and kill things very quickly.

The two of you together are sturdier than a Barb, do more damage, and have more party utility.
>>
>>43911824
cast I guess. calling that divine fury.
>>
>>43911829
Well, it's not great at fighting (yet), but also not terrible, a bit frail probably. Also, you can only pull this off come level 2.

At later levels, you can grab a better familiar and give it the mauler archetype (once you have a party-wide method of sharing amplified rage, like battlesong of people's revolt), and then the fun starts. Once you get people's revolt, if you have any ally next to you, get that delicious buff. You can even train out of bloodrager once the bonus isn't worth it.
>>
>>43911736
You are CoDzilla, you are already 1 Tier. If the other team is going for OP homebrew shenanigans, then go for broke and grab whatever nonsense you can, like Mythic Ranks or what have you

Also
>implying Optimization and Role Play are mutually exclusive
Stormwind Fallacy. You can do both, especially since optimization here on /pfg/ means "help this concept be around Tier 4/3/2 ish level in practice"
>>
>>43911851
>The two of you together are sturdier than a Barb
Too bad the enemies only need to kill one of you.
>>
File: what-year1-536x288.png (230KB, 536x288px) Image search: [Google]
what-year1-536x288.png
230KB, 536x288px
Okay gents, I just got back from a Thanksgiving without internet, and I want an update and can't be arsed to check the archives.

What has happened on /pfg/. I heard Adam from DDS dropped by, did anything happen or come from that? Did we get him to slow down and cool his jets?

Have we lynched 2hufag yet?
>>
Can the Dcs of a familiar's special attacks grow?
>>
>>43911914
They arnt even optimized, they are just completely broken homebrews.

I didnt know what level I had to be to really shine. I know casters at the low end of things are pretty sluggish, and the fact that at level 4 the titan can become a large base, get +8 to str and con, +6 to hit, and has a regeneration of 4 a turn, its pretty fucking broken. Only reason Im there is because they begged and I usually GM.

Any particular builds I can go for?
>>
>>43911987
That's about it, there was also a leak from AP #100 and it had fucking nothing about Aroden.
>>
>>43912013
That's not true, it did tell us he made a sword once.
>>
>>43911960
Harder than you think.

Animal has AC high enough for CR+2 enemies to miss frequently. You can make an easy ride check to take cover behind mount. Attacking either of you hastens the enemy's death.

In the case of my character I optimized for my character to be very hard to kill in return for dealing less damage. The result was having either of us being incredibly annoyingly hard to kill while doing sustainable and high damage.

Also life bubble, resist energy all, barkskins, and whatever other buffs helped.
>>
>>43907441
Psi-Core prepares you for a mech, while also granting it 'robot' subtype, and several new abilities:
>Attaches itself to a weapon you're using to add 1d4 electricity damage to it and allows you to deliver touch attacks through melee hits with that weapon (now I'm not saying Gun Kata but... Gun Kata)
>Now a masterwork tool for every skill you have at 6+ ranks, AND can now, if not in weapon-booster form (don't worry you can switch modes with focus expend, should be a move action by now at most) can now hover at half-speed (will have full speed flight at 9th as normal) and fire off a 10ft(increment?) ranged touch attack of fire, sonic or electrical.
>Mainframe Form: +2 circumstance to all int skills and ability checks. Allows direct interface with technological equipment, and now directly allows you to recharge tech equipment for 5pp/charge, which is the cheapest form of recharge currently in the game. Even WIZARDS, motherfucking WIZARDS, have to spend fucking 500gp diamonds casting THEIR L3 recharge spell. This is just the 5pp, and it still isn't fucking worth it.
>>
>>43912013
So what exactly did happen with Adam? Will he be here or his reps more often like Gareth, or did we scare him off?
Will there be SoP Errata or Unchained? Did he realize that Spheres of Combat was a retarded idea?
>>
>>43912008
Can't you just leave?
>>
File: 1447053775417.gif (2MB, 300x200px)
1447053775417.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>43912030
>>
>>43912050
He just kind of jumped in, I think he might have been a bit intimated or something, I haven't seen him since.
>>
>>43912008
If you've got Tome of Battle on the table, you can go for a Ruby Knight Vindicator.
>>
>>43912065
I can. Honestly, I usually run my games away from close friends, because my two best friends (the new GM whos letting everything slide, even fake stats, and the titan player) really wanted me to play with them and seem to be haveing a good time, but if I'm going to play there, I dont want to spend the session watching the titan player just jerk off all over his character sheet like hes been. I want to actually DO something, since the GM told him his characters fine. Id rather play in a retarded game then tell them I'm leaving because they are one step away from forum RP's with god mode.
>>43912110
I can check that out. Thanks!
>>
A few notes regarding Psitech
Mechs are constructs, and should have their construct size HP boon listed for the sake of "where the flying fuck is that fucking table in the CRB or SRD again". Just a Quality-of-Life deal due to that damn table being hard to find.

Technological weapons are unlisted in the AP system table

Psi-Core Techno Hilt should switch between the three energy types as it does in other forms

Because basically everything in there requires Swifts and because most combat will end in 2-3 rounds, the Reactor Knight's Overdrive system basically doesn't get to do anything at higher levels due to EITHER/BOTH his own manifesting AND/OR any initiator levels/classes/archetypes they may have. A Vitalist Multiclass would be the worst-case scenario, as numerous vitalist specials require swifts as well.
>Given the requirements and forced Mainframe usage of mechs - rule which currently does basically nothing except *prevent* attack-satellite or techno-hilt modes - I would *STRONGLY* suggest allowing the Mainframe form Psi-Core to activate mech overdrives from the pilot's pool using its own actions.
>>
File: psion_battle.jpg (364KB, 800x492px) Image search: [Google]
psion_battle.jpg
364KB, 800x492px
So, I'm getting into a game with a GM that allows psionics, and given I like the sorcerer my first thought was to try out the Wilder.

The thing that's turning me off of it somewhat is that the Wilder has next to no powers known. Even the Human favored class bonus only gives you an extra every four levels, and you've only got one to work with at level 1, which feels rather restricting.

Is there a way around this problem?
>>
>>43912223
Point 1: Mechs don't follow normal construct HP rules.

2. He's simplifying that system.

3. Maybe.

4. Or you could accept that some multi classes don't work. Also Reactor Knight isn't compatible with the Psychic Warrior Initiating archetype.
>>
>>43912223
These are actually all issues that Ssalarn has been made aware of in the GitP thread. He's just sort of vanished off the face of the earth for a little while, and thus hasn't updated the Playtest Doc/PDF. We're about two and a half weeks past when he said he'd do it.
>>
>>43912223
Actually shouldn't the psi-core be the 'brain' of a mech it's currently playing Optical-Neural-Net for, and thus use the mech's STR/DEX enhancement values on its own actions? Get some use out of that second weapon slot if you're not dual-wielding, or give the mech a move action or two instead of a 5ft while you yourself are firing.
>>
>>43912269
The Wilder's Student Surge gives you Expanded Knowledge as a bonus feat at 5th and every 4 levels after and has one of the least bad Psychic Enervations.
>>
>>43912300

I can't reveal many of his personal details, but his job is the kind that has ebbs and flows. Presently he is experiencing a high volume pof work.
>>
>>43912311
Thanks, I'll check it out. The Psicrystal Affinity feat for free is pretty snazzy too.
>>
>>43912394
Psicrystal Affinity is a very fun feat to have.
>>
>>43912364
I know; I've asked him directly about it over here, and the other DSP devs have said much the same. I'm just explaining the situation to the other Anon.

I'll admit, I'm a bit miffed about him missing a deadline he told to us, particularly by so long, but I understand that his work has to come first, so I try to not make an issue of it.
>>
>>43912288
It says NOWHERE that they do not follow normal construct HP rules.

In fact it lists their type-HP bonus as just an untyped HP bonus, and their HD doesn't follow the mech level fully. Not like it's getting a CON score or the undead CHA thing. A Large Biped mech (who MIGHT now have +30hp by your logic) WOULD break in a single vital strike or critical hit at level 20, even with damage halved, if all it has average HP: destruction is *guaranteed* from even a 10/5's full attack at that level due to hardness always being ignored by incoming weapons - since nothing isn't adamantine -

Also, there's even FEATS that let you do initiating, not to mention even a single level in Aegis or the like. Interaction between the two systems *CANNOT* be said to even be unlikely to occur, and the overdrives are overwritten in value by level 2-3 boosts.
>>
>>43912442
Don't forget the bonus HP from each size increase from the size increase talent or whatever.

Also you cant target the robot specifically.
>>
>>43912483
You can just Sunder the robot.
>>
>>43912496
Doesnt the specific rule that damage is shared overwrite the general sunder rules?
>>
>>43912519
You are correct, good sir. Specific trumps general.
>>
>>43912269
>>43912311
>>43912394
I *love* wilders. Yes, they do generally have very few powers known, but if you step back and look at the class, they're more meant (IMO, at least) to spam a blasting power at far better intensities than normal manifesters (surging!) and soften up targets, then wade in with Surging Euphoria and all their other goodies and blenderize things.

Or, I guess, you could give yourself a ranged weapon and rain down anvils from the sky in between manifestations of Energy [Noun] powers.

I'd be playing a wilder now instead of a marksman, except the DM has disallowed fullcasters/fullmanifesters. If it gets 9th level spells or powers, it ain't allowed.
>>
Looks like we're past the bump limit. Who's gonna start a new /pfg/?
>>
>>43912575
Probably some weeb
>>
>>43912591

>>43912591
>>
>>43912630
>>43912591
Shit, I fucked that up.

>>43908964
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 400x500px
>>43907587
>It's an absolute blast
>>
>>43912542
Regardless, its HP isn't spectacular even once shared.

>>43912553
Did the DM disallow level 8 spells, or only level 9 manifesting?

Because that's kinda where they're at...
>>
>>43913482
I know that psionic powers at high levels aren't QUITE as reality-warping as level 9 spells, but anything that got up to level 9 spells/powers is disallowed. 3/4 casters and half-casters (levels 6 and 4 for max, respectively) are fine.
>>
>>43908662
Wait, wat?
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 640x1136px)
image.jpg
95KB, 640x1136px
>>43907367
Playing a TWF Ratfolk Ranger, no 3rd party content
What are some good feat ideas? Damage isn't necessarily the only thing I'm after, so anything that could help out non-combat wise would be good as well (as in fears that could improve survival-oriented skills and perception)
Also, is it possible to build the Ranger's Animal Companion to be a combat buddy rather than a mount? And if it would be needed, does Hunter's A.C. stack with Ranger's?
>>
>>43914285
Take the feat called "Leave the game and find one that allows actual content"
>>
>>43914387
Not really what I was looking for. I'm not looking for PoW classes, and I haven't heard of any maneuvers/classes involving an animal companion
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.