[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a mean thing to do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

> running 3.5
> party consists of a rogue, wizard, fighter, cleric, and a ranger.
> off to kill BBEG and seal his soul into a gem via magical mcguffin
> warn the players that there have been reported cases of shapeshifters in the area.
> the next 3 sessions are players asking for search checks and spot checks
> le evil plan hatches
> players continue playing as normal
> players make it to the BBEG and plan to fight him, though they don't know I didn't have him fully prepared yet.
> they are face to face with le Baron evilmurderhobo of killfuckistan
> he smiles and snaps his fingers
> the party rogue backstabs the wizard, putting him below zero but not dead.
> everyone in party is in some state of "what the fuck" except the rogue who's just giving me the stinkeye
> the rogue calmly takes the mgguffin from the wizard which was supposedly the key to sealing the bbeg in a soulgem
> rogue shapeshifts into doppelganger form and presents the mcguffin to baron
> turns to the party
> your friend is back in murderrape forest, I'd suggest you find him before he breaks.
> all that's left of the party is a cleric, a fighter, a ranger who's standing still in a shock.
> aaaand that's where we'll break, folks.

I'd told the rogue what happened before the big reveal so he could prepare for how his character would be when he came back. Basically he'd fallen asleep while on watch for bad guys. It just so happened the doppelganger had been following them waiting for a chance.

But yeah, is it mean to let a player keep playing their character even though it's not really then even more?
>>
>>43880534
10 stupid points out of 10.
>>
He sounded as if he was on board with it, so sounds like a great idea to me. gave the players a nice shock horror moment
>>
>>43880534
Was there actually a roll to stay awake? Or was that just railroading?
>>
>>43880534
> running 3.5
> Is this a mean thing to do?
Yes.
>>
>>43880653
Will checks to stay awake. I normally don't do it unless the players haven't slept in several days, which they hadn't because of shapeshifter fuckery.
>>
>>43880653
I dont think it would matter, it made an interesting scenario and if the player is cool with it then why not
>>
>>43880585
>>43880722
Actually it sounds like he wasn't. You don't give someone "the stinkeye" when you approve of what they're doing.
>>
>>43880534

If you just allowed the backstab by fiat, with no chance of any reaction from other characters, that's hard railroading. Likewise with the Rogue falling asleep on guard duty.

Even so I wouldn't necessarily object as long as it's in the interests of a good campaign story, and if the Wizard isn't just going to get fucked up and killed with no chance of avoiding it.

That's because I'm a reasonable adult human being and not a squealing Yale-tier entitled little fuck, and I don't go full retard over "muh agency xp" at the slightest opportunity.
>>
There is only one appropriate situation in which OP's scenario would work, and that's if the player involved was in on it.

In movies, BBEG villains have the "You can either fight me, or go save your friend/love interest/ally!" situation all the time, usually with the choice to leave and save the good people resulting in the BBEG having more time to complete his plans or grow more powerful. It's a common theme, and it works well if it's used smartly.

It kinda sounds like OP fumbled through it and did it very ham-handedly.
>>
>>43880534
Did you get the Rogue player to roll checks to maintain his disguise?
>>
>>43880816
Oh, you're right, I must have skimmed over that bit. Apologies
>>
>I'd told the rogue what happened before the big reveal

Since it sounds like they were playing the character the same, yes, it's completely wrong. Because the doppelganger, although having the appropriate appearance, shouldn't be acting entirely appropriately for the character.

Therefore, you made the player use knowledge of their character they shouldn't have, which means things that could have been hints, or in retrospect realized were hints weren't there.

So, yes, you should feel bad. There's nothing wrong with getting a player on board, but making it be something that happened in the past feels cheap, not only because you're taking agency away from the player, but they don't have the knowledge to split the character from the doppelganger. Any time you did something really cool it suddenly wasn't your character any more, cheapening your success. Any real good role-play moments are cheapened because it also wasn't your character, and now you have to backtrack to think about how your character would react to that.

These types of things should always be done in advance, not, "Oh hey, it turns out your character hasn't really been your character for the last few sessions." If I had someone pull that shit on me I would have told them to kill off the original character and have the doppelganger say they'd been dead since murderrape forest, because, quite frankly, it'd be easier to roll up a new character than try and refocus what I thought of the character to account for everything that I thought had happened, that hadn't.
>>
>>43880534
>>le evil plan
>>replace party member without warning or chance for party to find out before key moment
>>doesn't plan ahead
>>needlessly prolongs campaign
shit DM/10
>>
>>43880891
At the start of the next couple days. After that, no one would be suspiscious, so there was no reason to. They get a like +20 to their disguise checks anyways.

>>43880816
>>43880953
He didn't know at first. But I talked with him privately before that session with the BBEG. He understood why I did it. If you inform a player that they are being doppelganged on, they might try to drop hints later on. We rolled out the details after everyone left.

He decided that after all he'd been through he'd like to drop a couple of his rogue levels for some barbarian fury. I told him it was fine, since his characters mind was driven to near insanity.

It all worked out in the end, and now they are gearing up to fight him again. This time, the wizard is last in line.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.