[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OVA RPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: OVA RPG Cover.png (2MB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
OVA RPG Cover.png
2MB, 1536x1152px
How does /tg/ like this thing? Sounds like a fairly flexible and nice-flowing generic system. The implied setting is a bit stupid and it doesn't seem like the setting books would ever be released, but as a mechanic, it reads nice.
>>
>>43870705
Never heard of it. Got a PDF so I can check it out?
>>
>>43871662
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hu1a1vr7jsze0/Tabletop_RPGs#43d013ndg2o2e
OVA 2e
>>
>>43871680
Thanks. I gotta get to my weekly game here in a few minutes, but I'll give it a once-over when I get home.
>>
>>43870705
Backed the campaign, got the book, put it on my shelf... that's as far as I've gotten. There's not enough time in my week...
>>
>>43871823
Do you get access to news that we non-backers don't? Is there any chance of Plastic Hearts or Song of Sandsea EVER coming out? Or God forbid, the Mecha Handbook and Fantasy Handbook we've been promised since like 2008?
>>
>>43871823
Got to read it?
>>
It's a solid game that can play many different anime tropes. Think of it as a weeaboo GURPS almost...
>>
I would say that BESM 2E is the better system, but OVA is still fun. You are right about the flexibility.
>>
Less shit BESM

The dice mechanic isn't the most sound things around but then again it's focus on the more casual side of things. Like a crunchier and weeb risus.

I really like the build your own fightan move thing and would like to see more attempts of it in games.
>>
Got a question for people who've played the game which I haven't been able to find a good answer for in the book: I understand that most weapons a character might possess should be statted as attacks because in anime, they tend to be a part of the character - but what about those times they're not? Say your bog-standard average highschooler somehow finds himself in a wacky chase with yakuza thugs (a normal enough situation in anime) during which he picks up a pistol. Obviously, the pistol isn't a "part of his character", so it's not an attack he bought during character creation. Nor does it seem sensible to ask the player to immediately expand points to buy an attack just so his character can do something he's got every fictional justification to. In most other systems, the pistol would have SOME kind of independent statline, but in anime, it all seems to depend on character traits. Would the highschooler be mechanically incapable of accomplishing anything with the pistol? Would he just roll based on his own traits (that doesn't seem right, even for such a lightly simulationist game. Merely the fact that the pistol can logically attack in a distance would make it mechanically distinguishable from a normal attack, for the student)? You could fudge something up based on the stats of an attack representing a pistol on some of the NPCs, but than you're in a whole other problems: by picking up a pistol, the highschooler's just gained himself several points worth of character traits merely by performing an action within the fiction, that he never has nor likely will ever pay for. There're all kinds of way this could the fuck the game balance. Other systems might do something like "if it isn't a part of his character, it could be lost at any time", but that isn't said anywhere. For a game that acknowledges that combat is an integral part of most anime and thus deserves its own detailed resolution system, this is an odd omission. Even M&M has a weapons table.
>>
>>43874415
I meant in OVA*, not in anime. In OVA, weapons don't seem to have independent traits, which makes it tricky to handle situations where a character picks up a weapon they don't normally possess, since it temporarily grants them capabilities which aren't in line with their stats.
>>
>>43874415
>>43874463
Well, for your example, a high-schooler probably wouldn't be overly familiar with fire-arms or have much skill with them, and its only going to have limited shots. You could stat it up temporarily and give them a handful of inaccurate but decently strong shots.

Of course, if it's supposed to be a wacky chase scene, the better effect would be to have the player fire wildly towards them, missing every shot but causing them to take cover, giving them a chance to put some distance between them.
>>
>>43874415
you're overthinking it.

Just give the pistol a 1 in its damage multiplier and give the character penalties to his pool to represent him being shit with it.

While OVA's initial assumption is to have each weapon to be unique and intrinsic to the characters that doesn't mean you can't have generic weapons. It's just a matter of presentation
>>
>>43874627
It was just an example. The situation itself doesn't matter, and I don't want to get into that kind of circumstantial philosophizing people often used to justify missing rules in their games ("Well, this isn't TECHNICALLY a combat situation, so you COULD SAY that THIS CHARACTER, etc."). I'm looking for an easy, general solution for situations like this that would prevent the abuse of fictional elements in order to give characters abilities that would normally be grounded in stats bought with character points.
>>
I'm playing in an OVA campaign right now.

As in, right now while I'm typing this message.

I like it a lot more than BESM and such. It's very flavourful. There are some odd mechanical quirks (like the dumb way how your to-hit roll directly affects your damage), and it doesn't even have the basic checks to keep the game balanced and to keep the powergaming dick player from ruining everything, but if you've got a good group and want to run something really anime, it's great.
>>
>>43874627
Think about it another way: Spike Spiegel doesn't normally carry any weapon other than his pistol, but he often picks up other firearms during fights which he's clearly proficient at using (and does so, to a great effect, so you can't just say "a picked up submachinegun is mechanically meaningless, just rule that he misses all his shots"). These weapons aren't a part of his statline, and he may very well only use each once in the series, but obviously does. How would you stat those "temporary weapons"?
>>
>>43874787
just fucking stat them.

attack x
AoE or multiattack perk
inaccurate flaw
>>
>>43874756
>that shitty player who browses 4chan while their game is going on
>>
>>43874845
But then you're messing with a character's statline. That can't be good for a game so light. The only reason it passes in games like M&M is that characters there are so obscenely powerful as it is that temporarily gaining another "Attack 3" power from picking up a pistol is practically meaningless to them. OVA COULD deal with such powerful characters, but being a generic anime game, should be likely capable of handling combat involving more down-to-Earth characters for whom finding a shotgun in the middle of a firefight could completely turn the tables.
>>
>>43874919
>>43874845
>>43874787
You really want to run that Black Lagoon game, don't you? That's one of the only things BESM legitimately does better than OVA. They've got an entire supplement for the 2nd ed dedicated to firefights and car chases, most of which was added straight into the 3e corebook.
>>
>>43874845
Don't forget that "Weapon" is by itself -5 points to an attack's value. I can't be bothered to check up the maths in my head right now but I think it might be possible to arrange for a weapons table (or improvise one) where no weapon is actually worth more than net 0 points simply because that's what they are.
>>
>>43874787
>>43874919
If you want a character that can pick up any weapon and use it well, then the solution is to make the abilities more vague.

Him picking up an assault rifle, a submachine gun, a shotgun, or whatever can all reasonably fall under a single 'gun' attack.

Give him one attack for single target sharpshooting (pistols, rifles, automatic weapons with a single-shot function), one for rapid fire or spread attacks, (machine guns, shotguns), and one for explosives (grenades, rocket launchers)

If you don't like that approach, the alternative is to just give the players a situational modifier to their existing attack for finding a new weapon.

Mr. Pistol finds a shotgun? Give him an extra one or two dice on the roll for the next few shots, until it runs out of ammo or the fight ends. If he wants to keep using it? Then have him spend XP to alter his stats accordingly.
>>
>>43875008
This. A combination of limited attacks and the "weapon" flaw itself can keep the point value of a picked up weapon neutral or even negative even with traits like multiple attacks or area attack. I don't think the game balance god would be enraged if you let a character temporarily pick up a "boos" worth 0 or -1 points. The change in capabilities is too insignificant (in fact, you could argue that it's completely circumstantial, like "asides from the fact that it's ranged, I'd literally be better off mechanically punching this dude with my 7 point punching attack, it's just that this one happens to be far away").
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.