[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do your spend your adventurers time during their downtime /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 18

File: Happy cats.jpg (151KB, 820x545px) Image search: [Google]
Happy cats.jpg
151KB, 820x545px
How do your spend your adventurers time during their downtime /tg/?
>>
>>43852406
Testing wenches for prowess. General wenching turns into tournies of sorts. So there will be a regional that pits champions from the villages we've passed through then nationals, internationals, dimensionals, interdimensionals, etc. the finale will be me taking on the champ. Whoever wins calls all the shots in the relationship. He also crochets cause thats a manly hobby gods damnit.
>>
>>43852406

Drinking. Whoring. Gambling. Boasting.

Alternatively,

Spending time with children and spouse, enjoying a fine family meal, visiting relatives, regaling tales of your adventures.
>>
>>43852482
"How was your adventure honey."
"well this one town up north, hooo boy, those tavern waitresses got some HUGE knockers,-"
"THOMAS! The childs at the table!"
"Errr...right. Those waitresses have some HUGE breasts....?"
"Better."
>>
Messing about in his workshop and creating inventions.
>>
>>43852406
selling Demon curse infused wine to bars for the adventurous drinker who wants to enjoy LSD and DMT with a bit of grape.

Helping run the desert city of Shapir while keeping his party mates from getting into too much trouble.

Owning a magic school by name only but still pushes his weight around there to get cheap magical research...Dovlin has become a bit of a Plot Developer.
>>
>>43852406

As drunk catgirls.
>>
>>43852554
Does it involve a pineapple and a yo yo?
>>
>>43852406
Women, drink, gambling.

Its another day breathing in the Imperial Guard; gotta celebrate each and every single one.
>>
>>43852406
Training, Drinking, Crafting explosive arrows and other alchemical marvels... all at once.
>>
Drinking, sleeping with men and women, shopping, seeing if he can help at the local clinic, getting into shenanigans with the party, visiting his aging mother whenever he gets the chance.
>>
>>43852406
Playing traditional games.
>>
File: sickened but curious.jpg (25KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
sickened but curious.jpg
25KB, 500x374px
>>43853500
>Sleeping with men and women

Is he at least pretty? Does he have a good taste in men?
>>
File: story1903.gif (10KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
story1903.gif
10KB, 600x450px
>>43852722
That was another Khajiit. We all look the same. And I am allergic to pineapple.
>>
We never get downtime because our DM has a boner for world ending calamities with deadlines and one of our players is in impatient ass who cant spent 5 min in a town without complaining nonstop that were wasting time
>>
>>43852406
Taking care of the nephews and nieces.
Repair any bits of the family home that are dilapidated.
Sleep
In a bed
Bathe
Every day
Eat hot food

Normal person stuff.
If it's a long downtime, garden or volunteer at the local temple.
>>
>>43852406
Fixing the ship and trading goods to make a steady profit in between all the running and shooting and keep her running.
One of us gambles a lot, which of course gets the rest of us into a lot of trouble.
>>
File: Foil-Pistol-Grip.jpg (38KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
Foil-Pistol-Grip.jpg
38KB, 500x297px
>>43856367
Many fencing "hilts" are like that now.
>>
>>43852406
Meditation, self-improvement, traditional arts.

Alternatively, his secret shame, sappy romantic trids.
>>
When not dealing with bodily functions, meditating. :(
>>
>>43856417
And that clearly isn't what's going on in that pic.

Just look at it, the thumbs is basically just not used at all. There isn't some post sticking up that he's wrapped the thumb around, he isn't pinching the grip between thumb and index finger, he's just put a normal, straight grip in between his index and middle finger.
>>
>>43856417
I can't make heads or tails of this shit
>>
File: NWN2_SS_102115_190843.jpg (142KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
NWN2_SS_102115_190843.jpg
142KB, 1280x768px
There is no downtime. It's existence is devoted completely to the Athar's doctrine and unlocking more arcane secrets. No food, no sleep, no distractions from seeking the Great Unknown.
>>
File: IMG_20150110_134929.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150110_134929.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>43855409
Other anon. That's my cat's name, actually. Khajiit.
>>
>>43856715
Isn't Athas completely cut off from the other planes of the multiverse?
>>
I always get kind of stuck on what my characters would be doing during their downtime when they're not near civilization or on watch or something. My last one knitted, and I've got a concept for one now that learned woodcarving and maybe stoneworking from his dwarven mentor. Not sure about the stoneworking part because the availability of stone might be a difficulty, and also the difficulty of working with stone -- I'm not sure how common soapstone is, essentially.
>>
Couple of things, depending on where he is.
Major city?
He's schmoozing with local nobility, flirting with the lonely thirty-something widows the wars have left. He is technically nobility after all, though he owns no lands and has little money or influence, due to his family's holdings having been conquered by the demonic hordes over a decade ago, being the youngest of twelve siblings, and having had a falling out with his eldest brother after their father's death.
He's finding the best duelists in the city, and seeing if any of them are up for a friendly spar, to keep his skills sharp.
He's browsing the finest haberdasher's shops looking for a new hat or visiting a tailor to have a new coat made (the demonic hordes have the most awful habit of ruining perfectly good hats and coats).
He's bailing the Rogue out because her sticky fingers got her into trouble yet again.

Smaller town?
He's buying drinks for the entire tavern while he regales them all with stories of the party's adventures, being sure to exaggerate his companions' feats (particularly the Alchemist, some cute bar wench taking him out back for a roll in the hay will be good for him) and generally spin one hell of a tale.
>>
>>43853542
I was joking when I wrote this, but has anyone ever actually played a character who played games?
I mean it's meta as fuck, but someone like a warlord or tactician might well get a kick out of playing tabletop wargames.
Or hey, maybe there's duel monsters with cards that project little magic holograms that they collect on the side. Why wouldn't a halfling rogue be into that?
>>
>>43860431
I have a character concept who's supposed to be a bit of an amateur tactician who carries a small travel set of whatever setting's closest equivalent to chess is, and "gaming" used to be a D&D skill to represent ability at games of strategy and stuff like that. Not sure when that went away exactly but I remember wishing it would come up more often. Oh well.
>>
>>43852406
Partying with drunk catgirls.

No matter the setting
>>
>>43860540
Brain instantly combined the hologram cards and the chess set to get the chess-like game from Star Wars. That would be a pretty neat thing to have.

Maybe I should make a character who loves gaming and puzzles, and worked as a professional gambler for a time so he could earn money for gaming.
And dungeons? They're basically one giant puzzle, right? I think I can make this work.

>>43860649
Man, now I want to party with drunk catgirls.
>>
>>43852406
>the rest of the party in the background just wishing for the two idiots to leave to fuck already
>>
>>43860828
Actually they're all annoyed at playing babysitter to the shit faced human passed out at their table.
>>
>>43861373
The catgirls don't seem to give a shit.

Then again they're probably in their own drunken little world and will probably wake up in the same bed.
>>
>>43861432
I was referring to the background people. My guess is some human tried to keep up with catgirls and got out-partied hard and now the rest of his party is forced to look after him.
>>
>>43861544
Yeah elf is like "that's what you get for trying to outdrink those dykes". Other human is kinda peeved about the spilt booze and the midget just straight don't give a fuck.
>>
>>43861586
>Other human
It's a blue minigiant
>dykes
Man, you really want some lesboans
>>
>>43861624
The color didn't really come through in the image. Also I got like 4 tabs of /u/ open and I'm kinda bored.
>>
>>43861624
>>43861586
Half orc maybe?
>>
>>43861624
>>43861586
>>43861432

Why are you assuming the two catgirls are lesbians? Is it impossible for two firmly heterosexual individuals to cling on each other and share a good time?
>>
>>43861702
>>43861668
He doesn't have a color in the picture and is just washed out, I'm just assuming that he's the last race from the FF14(?) MMO since all the others are already represented
>>
>>43861771
Hey, don't lump me in with the yuri goggles fag, I already asked him the same exact question
>>
>>43861771
Boredom. Yuri-goggles. Because it's entirely possible for them to be lesbians.

Not sure why you asking the other guy.
>>43861781
Didn't realize it was FF art. Then again I barely played the MMO.
>>
>>43852406
Tending to his plants, spending time with his wife. Occasionally relaxing with his ex-companion (now awakened)
>>
>>43861827
I've never played it, I just know miqote and tarutaru when I see em.
>>
>>43861781
Yeah, I think it's FFXIV
The 'other human' could be the big swole guys, I think.
>>
>>43860702
Obviously you don't know /tg/ stands for totally gay
>>
>>43861954
That's what I was saying, yeah.
>>
>>43852406
Like the rest of /tg/, they do whatever gregarious and socially-approved activities I could never do irl. Casual sex is but one example.
>>
>>43852406
Screw Yuri, I choose to believe they're celebrating wearing out the poor sod on the table behind them.
>>
>>43860540
Actually, in Changeling: the Lost, there's a kith that's called 'Gameplayers' that can pay 1 glamour to win any purely mental games, or get +3 dice to mix of mental and gambling (like poker)

I have one that, due to being pressed for time in making a character, took the 'classical' interpretation of being a chess piece, just a pawn in a grand war between two fae. Naturally, he enjoyed a rousing game of Go__ in his free time
>>
The dwarf runemage generally spends the time drinking and joking what his brother in his downtime, also what he does in his uptime.

The not-quite-a-paladin oracle spends most of the downtime keeping the rest of the party out of to much trouble, less telling them what to do, more talking down any consequences that may be to much for them to handle.
>>
>>43852406
She's generally following up any lead she can find about her missing family, but when she's not doing that I'm guessing she's either romping around with her bear companion or doing something elfy like picking flowers or something.
>>
>>43852406
just retired a character, she is sitting in a palace dimension, being waited on by a harem of servant girls, and enjoying other hobbies.
>>
Distributing magical gear from fallen comrades to new party members. She also takes whatever money the dead party members had on them and puts it towards a fund for her family in case she dies.
>>
>>43852406
Sir John Louis-George Jaggery of Broken Hills, a merry mercenary deeply touched by childhood stories of Don Quixote and King Arthur, buys everyone drinks, charms - but doesn't indulge - the whores, tells the best stories and ends his nights trying (and invariably failing) to drink his stoic supermutant companion under the table.

Vel Humbly, soecially timid but yet principally brave halfing wizard and hermit protecting a grand and terrible secret, lives comfortably - if somewhat lonely - reading a book he's read before while gnawing on some bread and and sipping a simple cup of water. The kind of man who'd make easy friends with a hobbit.

The Jerk gets into bar fights and has a good time, no matter if he gets his ass kicked or not. Then he fucks bitches afterwards because they're literally the only people he can succeed at persuading with charisma checks, due to his trait/perk selection and stats. Then he'll clean his .30 MG while drinking the hardest whiskey you could ever know.

Strides-With-Salt sails his boat, and that's all he needs to be happy.
>>
>>43852406
My character spends his weekends at home at the pharmacy shop he owns with his wife and teen aged twin sons.
This is thanks to a Ring of teleportation that allow him to teleport between the locations he marks.
He was given those by the monastery he works for to acquire rare herbs and ingridients around the world (and to stay away from the monastery because he always accidentaly intimidates everyone and the senior monks are having trouble finding recruits for the Long Death monastery as is).
>>
>>43852406
He drinks and has fun. Gambles, but his extreme fantasy!Rogue Trader wealth lets him get away with it.

Tells stories and uses some of his magic to make the shadows and dancing lights more cinematic.

Flirts and occasionally wenches, but his fantasy!Arch-Militant has a massive crush on him and he knows this, so he doesn't indulge in a fashion that rubs it in her face. I'm thinking maybe next time they have some time off he'll try to seduce her, see if she gets too flustered to do anything but stammer and make excuses on how she needs to check on the troops.
>>
My last character was a rather boring bard, but he liked to sing and rather enjoyed cooking.

My latest character? I don't know. She's basically a lawyer that decided to take up arms and armor in the name of her lawyer god. Hard to see her having any sort of fun.
>>
Currently playing a fighter that maintains and cleans his weapons after most fights. Trying to get some more background in on his studying the different maneuvers and learning the art of black smithing. We even found a mine rich in minerals that would be great for smithing that I'm trying to start a mine with - but it's rather difficult when the party gets little time for backstory and I don't think the DM really cares that much about it anyway.

Though that is literally my only complaint with how he runs things.
>>
My Barbarian would get a fine pint of ale, enjoy it, and sometimes shake his loin-cloth to make sure his tiny artifact is safely inside the secret pouch.
>>
My monk doesn't really have free time. Every moment he is working towards attaining the perfect human body, both in mind and physique.
>>
>>43852406
>How do your spend your adventurers time during their downtime /tg/?
The drow sorcerer take care of his business and manor, the human soldier smoke pipes, gamble and flirt with anything that has tits.
>>
File: my life so far.jpg (58KB, 381x381px) Image search: [Google]
my life so far.jpg
58KB, 381x381px
>>43858313
Well some githyanki got in once, tried to conquer it. They realized that everyone on Athas is a hardass, and that the dragon kings are some of the most retardedly powerful things to actually be statted in D&D history, got scared, and left.

So I assume a sufficiently powerful wizard boosted with defiler magic could equal the power of the lich queen that rules the githyanki and break out of Athas.

Pic related. I just felt bad after I typed this out.
>>
File: chaotic neutral.jpg (34KB, 697x517px) Image search: [Google]
chaotic neutral.jpg
34KB, 697x517px
One of them plays music for extra cash and looks for a nice drow husband, (homebrew setting where drow are very different culturally) even though she knows she won't find one outside of her home country that she fled from due to boredom.

Another is a young (for a dwarf) father of 4 who is so desperately hen-pecked at home that he went through an early mid-life crisis, quit his job, and become a traveling duelist monster hunter ala Regime Diabolique. So he spends his spare time buying fancy swords, whores, and impractically garish clothes with the money that should be going home to his wife and children. He also boasts and challenges random people on the street to duels, not knowing whether or not he will get his ass stomped. Pic related's quote summarizes him as a character very well.

The other is a super charismatic Malkavian who is so anachronistic he would fit in better in the Dark Ages and is convinced the world is ending. He spends his downtime (of which he has virtually none) teaching himself dead languages, self-mortifying to cleanse himself of his sins, reading his sire's collection of Noddist works about Gehenna, and selling out his town to the New Promise Mandarinate.
>>
>>43852406
Running a mercenary company while struggling with the urge to use it to raze the local "lol wizards elfs cuz dicks" factions to the ground,(I could win but it fucks the world meta) also the tiefling is penniless and the party can't know im this rich without metagaming
>>
>>43852406
I want to snuggle with them Mithra/Miqote.

I will never be able to tell which one is which.
>>
>>43867365
I just wanted to compliment you on your character names. They're all fantastic. How do you do it?
>>
>>43867600
>Hard to see her having any sort of fun.
that's where 'character depth' comes in
>>
>>43852406
There is almost no such thing. She stays a night or two to resupply before returning to the road. The search for enlightenment and self-perfection cannot stop.
>>
My character is an old librarian who is dedicated to acquiring knowledge for his brothers. It's almost a knowledge cult, in a sense. Part of the doctrine is spreading it as well.

So while all the other heroes are off drinking, fighting, and making bets over who can seduce the saucy elf wench the fastest, mine just goes out into the town square and reads to passerby. Unfortunately, due to his lack of ability to really speak, it's all a telepathic affair. But children and the simple don't mind and like to gather around to "listen".
>>
>>43852406
The best thing about being a murderhobo is that all the time is downtime if you want it to be.
>>
>>43852406
Sidequesting.
>>
Being fucked by his amazon waifu
>>
File: 1448327587656.jpg (171KB, 682x652px) Image search: [Google]
1448327587656.jpg
171KB, 682x652px
>our group playing our first session
>I bought an iron pot with the intention of making communal dinners and having downtime conversations
>our ranger refuses to eat anything but rations and sleeps away from our group
>I ask the wizard his story
>He starts upon his actually well rped story
>The ranger breaks character to get us to "shut up and end the day"
>>
>>43873254
Please tell me you kicked him out
>>
Some tend to drink and waste away at the tavern between adventures, pilfer from unsuspecting townsfolk, or study from scrolls and spell books found on previous excursions.
>>
So far, hospital time
>>
>>43873254
No, he's a good friend. It's annoying to play with him because he can't into rp and constantly complains about how slow combat it. He often argues with the dm if anything in the story deviates from the rulebook fluff despite the fact that we're using a homebrew setting.
>>
>>43873254
>Ranger
>not taking the opportunity to bring you shit to cook

Dunno why he bothers showing up to roleplays if he doesn't want to roleplay.
Yeah, it's a kind of social event, but it's not a social event, ya know?
>>
>>43869572
Mithra has a more defined cat nose with streaks on their face, Miquote have a more round human face.

Both are quite fine to fap to.
>>
>>43856537
Why aren't you doing cram, like a normal runner?
>>
>>43880355
He's probably one of those "holier than thou" Adept fuckers.
Bastard didn't have to cut away bits of his body and mind for power and then has the gall to lord it over the rest of us.
>>
>>43852406
Drinking, forging arms and armour, raising his kids, enjoying the luxury of being having the time to groom his beard, performing his dark rituals to It That Hides Behind The Veil.
>>
Proselytizing, praying, enjoying some good food, practicing his marksmanship, or tending to his mount.
>>
Banging lover of choice, harassing friends-that-aren't-really-friends-because-they're-too-scared-to-really-like-her, etc.
>>
>>43852406
Managing the party HQ, interviewing new operatives and agents, performing briefings and debriefings, filing paperwork, attending disciplinary meetings, and then once a month or so, drinking herself into a stupor and wandering through the base hitting on everything that has a pulse.

But then, she's only out on assignment about twice a year. Technically she's free to do whatever she likes for the other ten months, but she's good at what she does.
>>
>>43869719
I know - I don't think I can stick with the stern stickler-for-rules concept I started with. Then again, I break initial expectations every time.

Still hard to know what she'd do. She's from pretty noble blood and stuck at a very common position. What's the point of hunting without dogs to bring down the quarry for me, no I'm not going to drink swill with the savages at that reedy thing you call a pub, ect ect.
>>
On the rare moments that his rockstar persona isn't in control probably either reading something, finding someone to play beer checkers (or normal checkers) with, or sleeping.
>>
>>43852406
Only a fool would have "downtime!" The path to apotheosis and beyond is not tread by -reveling- and -resting- and -cavorting- like a common farmhand.
>>
>>43852406
Go sightseeing, places like museums and high class musical concerts and shit. Not to steal, just to enjoy it. Maybe some fine dining with the party at a nice place, probably not too fancy since we aren't lunatics but high atmosphere and good food. I mean we're rich from adventuring, why not take advantage and live like it, we don't know if we'll be around to do it after we set off again.
>>
My sorceress works at a library and also writes about her life in an autobiography in two languages
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>43869708
A day late but oh well.

The first one was the common names of generally well-known kings combined with a surname that jumps out as more "unique", also important to make sure the whole title rolled off the tounge well

Humbly was just derived from humble, and Vel was picked because it was meant to be as short and simple as he is

The Jerk was chosen because I rolled him with 10/10 END (fallout system) and some trait experimentation resulted in him only being able to succeed at persuasion rolls with women. Stubborn endurance + "jerks get the ladies" wound up with The Jerk

Strides-With-Salt was just trying to think up an Argonian sailor name. It didn't hit ne till later how fucking good it was.

basically, i just draw from words and nonwords that i like, foreign translations of those words, etc, until i'm happy with the result.

other names of characters i've had
>Murtag
>Aklas Kennedy
>Papa Sawbones
>Romund the Plunderer
>Lev Novosi
>Alexander Konstantinovich
>Signal
>King November
>Julik

thanks a lot for the compliments! i love talking about this kinda stuff
>>
>>43852406
Depends on the adventurer in question, could be reading, could be building stuff, could be practicing new techniques or learning from old masters, could be working a day job. If you'd said 'last character', I'd have said 'rebuilding their life, because they're from 2013, and have found themselves in a parallel Earth in 1984.' because superhero games are wacky.
>>
>>43858313
No, there are ways to get there and back.

They're difficult and often dangerous, but they do exist.

The World Serpent Inn, famous for having doors to everywhere in the multiverse, has the Athas door locked, bolted and chained because FUCK THAT PLACE.
>>
>>43852406
I watch the road, I tend the goats on off days, I train and keep the horses, I hunt small game, I drink a lot of beer and some wine, I spend odd nights in-town slumming it with sailors and caravan guards trading rumors and stories.
I've also recently begun to learn to read.

Oh, and I keep the walking nuke that is halfway along to being a dragon sane.
>>
>>43873254
Shit man.

I remember a year or two back I was member of one party where it was agreed upon that everyone involved was to contribute to the dungoneers' breakfast.
I brought an instant campfire, a kettle and stand, and parcels of tea leaves.
As I recall, the dwarf of the party had a non-stick (ie. mithril) waffle 'iron', and kept ingredients for batter in his rhino's saddlebags of holding.
The others didn't get into it, or were late joins, so they just bought sausages, or butter, or so on.
>>
Brooding, wandering around the streets feeling sorry for himself, Trying not to drink because he doesn't want to be violent again, praying for a forgiveness he knows he may never receive.
>>
>>43860431
reminds me of Perty's not!40k table in Angel Exterminatus
>>
>>43885731
>Still hard to know what she'd do. She's from pretty noble blood and stuck at a very common position. What's the point of hunting without dogs to bring down the quarry for me, no I'm not going to drink swill with the savages at that reedy thing you call a pub, ect ect.
Well, if she's new to adventuring, that's presumably something you can roleplay out
>>
File: TheNeverEndingPainOfLife.jpg (161KB, 625x702px) Image search: [Google]
TheNeverEndingPainOfLife.jpg
161KB, 625x702px
>>43852406
Numbly watching countless generations of her half eldritch and further diluted star-spawn living happy lives and secluding herself to human comforts of alcohol and lethargy, hoping one day that she can find a way to get to the heaven her mortal gunslinger husband was sent to when she couldn't properly defend him.
>>
Wandering the countryside selling wooden objects that were transmuted into golden ones.

No refunds.
>>
>>43856660
take a fencing class
>>
Mining and drinking the pain away.
No, he's not a dwarf.
>>
File: ALE AND WHORES.png (68KB, 269x250px) Image search: [Google]
ALE AND WHORES.png
68KB, 269x250px
>>43852406
>>
>>43880580
He's on the road to burnout way, so he actually has some bioware shit in his body.

That bit about "holier than thou" is SO true though. Like, it's actually embarassing, that true.
>>
My barbarian drinks with the paladin, the sorcerer is reading, and the cleric and ranger disappear
>>
File: megascared.png (77KB, 251x264px) Image search: [Google]
megascared.png
77KB, 251x264px
>>43895115
>the cleric and ranger disappear

What did you do to them?
>>
>>43895604
I'm guessing he gave them a pack of sheepskins.
>>
Poetry, ship knowledge recitation, and... probably meditation to try and appease the spirit of his ancestor.
>>
File: 1337604973382.jpg (59KB, 643x546px) Image search: [Google]
1337604973382.jpg
59KB, 643x546px
>>43895635
hot
>>
>>43852406

Downtime? Your characters allow themselves downtime? I have to force downtime on my players. As soon as they finish a quest they immediately search for another one. We finished Rage of Dragons and banished Tiamat back to Avernus and they want to follow a quest hook I laid down a couple weeks ago. All they did for a wrap up is to collect their reward then they Teleported out.
>>
>>43896158
It's a problem, especially when if you give them a week to relax that's usually shuffled over. Who'd really want to take the time to roleplay not adventuring when you could just adventure?
>>
>>43885861
He's just mad because he couldn't get a date to the wizard prom
>>
>>43899883
> Who'd really want to take the time to roleplay not adventuring when you could just adventure?
People who enjoy growing characters for their own sake.
>>
>>43896158
>>43899883
There are ways to mitigate this. A system called Hackmaster does it mechanically by making Levelling Up require 2 weeks of downtime, so all you do is just not timeskip over it entirely and give them some time with it. Considering houseruling the same thing into other games I GM, if it's not a dungeon-crawler that is.
>>
>>43899883
It's how my d6 Star Wars GM handles us using character points to improve after chargen. If we want to improve a skill we need to take the time to train in it. He eases off the time we need to put in if we used that skill in the past arc.

So like I tried to use Brawling to get out of a jam where a blaster was pointed at my face, and failed. But because I stretched that muscle, so to speak, in a life- (or story-) threatening situation, after the arc I can use downtime to get better at Brawling and it will take way less training and time than it otherwise would.
>>
File: cathedral altar.jpg (2MB, 2159x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cathedral altar.jpg
2MB, 2159x1500px
Every town my cleric visits, she explores and finds a building that's abandoned, but in good condition, and turns it into her own little hide-out. The longer they break there, the more lavish it becomes. One time she found a church devoted to some forgotten god and turned the attic into what may have been the coziest place in the country. I'm talking pillows covering the ENTIRE floor, a sizable bookshelf full of books of all different subjects, some fancy scented candles for once night falls (during the day the room's lit by a large, round stained glass window), and she enlisted some help from the party wizard to get a firepit that was safe to have indoors and wouldn't fill the room with smoke.
And of course the main hall was turned into a shrine for her deity.

She now has done this in... 7 different cities? Somewhere around that
>>
>>43852406
Downtime is for those destined to ultimately fail. My most played adventurer sought to overthrow the system and it put his own in place, unifying the entire world in the process. Any time not dedicated to that was spent on intellectual experiments or on his hellion of a niece.
>>
File: booze and blood.jpg (123KB, 371x1000px) Image search: [Google]
booze and blood.jpg
123KB, 371x1000px
>>43900323
So, my cleric is a bit odd, but my paladin is kinda... not very paladin-y. I mean, technically he's still lawful good, but he's into boobs and booze at least as much as the party bard. In fact they wingman for eachother. It helps that they fish from different lakes, so to speak. Bard has domain over bars, but my paladin likes to fight his women to make sure they're worthy, so he mainly picks up chicks at merc guilds and such. Fights are done bare-handed, first get pinned loses, though it's not about who wins, in fact, the closer the match the better. If he deems them worthy, they move on to the other kind of wrestling. Is it very paladin-like? No, but it's certainly not evil, much less illegal. And the fact that he's giving the women experience fighting is good, even.
>>
>>43900589
Amen, brother.
>>
>>43900084
I do, but how are you supposed to make other people sit through that without having some interest themselves? Some people would rather game and leave the backstory stuff to be decided through briefer in character interaction or outside of the table.

It's a crude comparison, but imagine going to play Halo with friends, and after a few multiplayer matches one guy just wanted to wander around the map and focus on his Spartan's backstory for a little while. You wouldn't want to sit through that, right?
>>
>>43900589
I figure as long as you're faithful to the oath you swore and hold fast to your ideals, you're a paladin. Ain't nothin' says you have to conform to every stereotype and be no fun allowed to champion justice.
>>
>>43901324
I don't have a problem with it because I don't view TTRPGs as Halo. Or, to get to the meat of what you mean, they're more to me than just ways of killing things and experiencing visceral action. Charaterization is important to me, so if my group wants to have a beach party episode, why not?
>>
>>43901351
That was my thought when making the character. I realized that there was absolutely nothing forcing a paladin to be a no-fun douche. I mean, yeah, I still have to smack the party rogue in the back of the head every once in a while, but generally when that happens, a backhand is the best thing that could've resulted from his actions, because otherwise if I caught him, then he probably would've gotten caught by local law enforcement.
>>
>>43901405
The problem I was getting at was when it was just you that wanted to set aside a bit of time for character building and such, not the other way around.

I'd love to spend more time in my Shadowrun game just exploring the Matrix, trying to find a good soy-noodle place, and being a little more than just 'the hacker,' especially since he took pains to dig out old decking gear instead of using the latest and greatest stuff, but downtime between jobs is used to figure out skill upgrades or to do hunting for more jobs. The week is otherwise briefly described in a joking fashion, but not really looked at.

>>43901468
There are a lot of ways to do paladins while still keeping mostly within the lines of lawful good. There's what you're doing, there's almost a father figure which talks first and smacks around later, there's the paladin that just actively encourages moral behavior by being so good it shames everyone else, ect.

I like how you do it, and I'd support it, but I'm not sure if every group would consider that to be a Lawful Good paladin - it's good, but how is it really Lawful and not Neutral Good?
>>
>>43901653
>The week is otherwise briefly described in a joking fashion, but not really looked at.
There's your problem right there. Our GM likes to give every player a chance to explore their characters during downtime. This can be through interaction with each other or going out of the way to explore a new part of the world around us for funsies. We love it and respond to it well, wondering what the other characters will be doing, and also wondering if any of this downtime will result in interactions that somehow tie into later adventures.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to us. We like it a lot, and tend to have an actual interest in each other's characters. These particular sessions don't happen too often either, which lets them keep their novelty for us.
>>
>>43901653
by smacking the rogue to keep him from stealing I am enforcing the law.
>>
>>43852406
Depends on the environment, but current favorite activities are:
>snuggle with pet hellhounds
>be diabeetus-tier cutesy with oddly-monogamous bard gf
>climb shit
>quell self-deprecation by catching food so well that local tribesmen are impressed
And most recently:
>roll around in pennies that were jewed off the campaign's Jews
>swim
>turn into an elf lady via magic amulet, bard likey~
>>
File: 44871344_p5.jpg (109KB, 840x525px) Image search: [Google]
44871344_p5.jpg
109KB, 840x525px
>>43852406
Sleeping.
>>
Proselytizing

Evangelizing

Spreading the good word of THE ONE TRUE GOD.

Verbally and physically berating heathens.

Conquering places of worship and converting them proper temples of the aforementioned ONE TRUE GOD.

Getting into heated shouting matching with local constabulary.

Getting into even more heated WRESTLING MATCHES with the heathen priests of FALSE GODS.

Spending the night in gaol.

Escaping gaol via HOLY MIRACLES GRANTED BY THE ONE TRUE GOD.

Converting a single home drunk.
>>
>>43902090
Also a homeless drunk.
>>
In a library studying while his barbarian bro goes out to fight in underground fight clubs
>>
>>43902141
That's most adventurers though
>>
Trying to keep his job as a grocery store employee, usually a bagger or cart pusher. If he has any other free time, just practices his athletics to get better and better for his sports scholarship.
>>
>>43852406
Making sure the rest of the party doesn't get them kicked out of what ever town they're in
>>
Drinking and trying not to link about the long term ramifications of their actions.
>>
>>43852406
Cooking the books at a local chicken farm so that nobody pays any mind when a few chickens go missing to feed the nothic he keeps in the group's basement.

It's probably going to kill someone eventually, but until that point it makes for an excellent guard dog
>>
>>43852406
Using a magic harp to build shit and make bank doing so. Also picking up girls and other shenanigans.
>>
>>43852406

Drinking, whoring, doing his best to waste the hard-earned riches.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.