[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternative cyberpunk games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: inferno_by_crazyasian1-d7imfcl.jpg (204KB, 1080x739px) Image search: [Google]
inferno_by_crazyasian1-d7imfcl.jpg
204KB, 1080x739px
I suppose the term cyberpunk is a bit loaded but near future style game, didn't role off the tongue quite as well. Regardless, it seems like every sort of game set in a near future scenario is always about operating operationally with operaters or being essentially super spies but what about the other vocations that would no doubt exist and have access to the sort of technology present in such settings.

I figure most of /tg/ would be familiar with pic related but such a game like this be made fun? What would Shadowrun be like if you played as emergency rescue personnel or going out to fight wildfires caused by rampent fire spirits? What would EP be like if you played as a group hired to go rescue some research team on a exo-planet?

Could a game like that be fun to do?
>>
>>43838780
I think it could be. Such work can get pretty tense and exciting even without the added cyberpunk elements. Though it might be wanting for a compelling narrative; I'm having a hard time imagining it being anymore than a series of loosely connected occurences
>>
>>43838780
A robo-firefighter bear like that would be awesome, but i don't think they would give such a menancing look, it should look more freindly to calm the wounded
>>
>>43838853

You're right but the thought I had going was doing something more then just the typical high speed low drag operators. Granted thats the whole premise of games like Shadowrun or cyberpunk 2020 I just think it gives the world more depth when you see it from an angle that isn't that of a spy or mercenary.
>>
>>43838922
It's obviously designed to go on a rampage in the second act.
>>
File: 1441932396907.jpg (182KB, 1280x876px) Image search: [Google]
1441932396907.jpg
182KB, 1280x876px
>>
>>43838780
Check out Vajra Enterprises "Fates Worse Than Death". Alternative cyberpunk setting, alternative cyberpunk philosophy, alternative cyberpunk gameplay. The mechanics are Rolemaster levels of autism but they recently released a version powered by Fate which is easier to get behind crunch-wise. You still need the core book for all the setting details, though.
>>
File: cloud goat.jpg (94KB, 432x551px) Image search: [Google]
cloud goat.jpg
94KB, 432x551px
>>43838994
>>
>>43838968
When playing Joe Average it's hard to create conflict without blowing something up. Otherwise you end up with a daytime soap opera, and most players expecting Near Future Time Adventures aren't in it to have a searing interpersonal romance at the fire station interfering with their job duties.
>>
>>43840643

Think of it like this though; I've always wondered what it would be like to run a game as the Doc Wagon guys when they have to go pick up the runners who ping on their radar.

So on top of the fact you have to duck and weave through whatever traffick is in your way to get to your charge you have to get through whatever else to try to save them as well. Maybe they got halfway out of some megacorp territory and you and your team have to seriously consider whether or not you can go get them, maybe they are actively being assualted by some paracritter, maybe there is some kind of magical anomoly that is blocking you from getting to them.

That's partly why I brought up the cyberpunk aspect because I'm looking at the sort of people who have to deal with the aftereffect of the PC's actions.

So like you were mentioning with no conflict it's basically a soap opera so why would some toxic mage with a thing for fire run wild in the woods? Why are there some armed to the teeth spooks out there and fuck why are they shooting at you when all you have is your civilian model power armor and a chainsaw?

I'm kinda going all over the place but get where I'm going?
>>
>>43841091
Thing is investigation is not often part of the job. You're on cleanup for a lot of crazy shit, but you'll likely have to drop it and move on as it simply isn't your business. If you really want to follow the thread you'd have to jump across different aspects of civil service, from law enforcement to emergency response to legal investigation etc. It would offer interesting insight into the workings of the setting, but you couldn't have a consistent character that way.

It's either you have one character catch only a glimpse or several build the full picture. Seems hard to make into a game, but might make a good book.
>>
>>43841269
Exactly. If you're a Docwagon team, all you're going to be doing is picking up people from firefights. It's not your job to investigate the firefight, find the terrorist bomber or arrest the mafia boss.

That gets boring fast.
>>
>>43840613
Well, obviously, that goat is on a mou-OH SHIIIIII-
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.