[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ have any of you ever tried making your own card game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1435435744371.jpg (534KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1435435744371.jpg
534KB, 2560x1920px
Hey /tg/ have any of you ever tried making your own card game?

I'm not talking about a collectible game because I doubt it's feasible to do adequately.

Personally I've always liked battle type card games like pokemon, yugioh, magic, and elements or hearthstone online. I want to make my own game using a standard set of cards that everyone can build a deck from (maybe 100 or so). I don't want to copy mechanics from other games or make a weaker version of magic.

What do you guys think? Any advice/tips on how to make it decent or if it's worth doing at all?
>>
You literally just described Android: Netrunner and similar LCGs.
>>
>>43821527
not sure what you mean, i haven't described a game at all
>>
>>43821795
>I want to make my own game using a standard set of cards that everyone can build a deck from (maybe 100 or so).
>>
When making a game try to make a checklist of what makes your game unique.
Why would anyone not just pick up another game and play that?

If the answer is theme, your game is shit.
If the answer is mechanics, your game is good.
>>
Back in middle school me and a couple friends made our own card game on regular index cards. It was pretty fun, but I always lost when we actually played because I tried to make cards that were actually balanced, and my friend was a big fucking cheese and would make invincible instant-win dragon cards.
>>
File: 11133-chick-flat-colors-vector.png (58KB, 583x900px) Image search: [Google]
11133-chick-flat-colors-vector.png
58KB, 583x900px
>>43821817
that doesn't make it just like netrunner
>>
>>43821825
I'm not concerned with theme, mechanics of the game would be most important to me. The trouble is making something new that is easy enough to learn in 2 minutes without using too many card game conventions that it's just a bad magic.
>>
>>43822064
The concept I find most LCGs and TCGs lacking are the option of in-game deck building.
Sort of like a mix between netrunner and dominion for example.
>>
>>43821182
...Not exactly what you're talking about, OP, but there's a card game in pretty much every one of my settings it'd be even remotely capable of fitting into, called Ichari. It's played with varying numbers of five-card 'suits', depending on the number of players (normally players+2, minimum 5). The rules are fairly simple:

>Five symbols in each 'suit', indicating the five 'Rulers' (Body, Heart, Mind, Will, Belief); each 'suit' has all five symbols, and each 'suit' is colored or patterned different from the others
>Two additional cards - 'Ichari' ('Empty') and 'Minoh' ('Fullness'); both count as wild-cards
>Suits are chosen (again, normally players+2), deck is shuffled, six cards dealt to each player. Play goes clockwise from dealer.
>Players take turns either drawing a card from the remaining pile, or trading one card to another player to pull a card from that player's hand. At the end of their turn, if a player has more than six cards, he discards down to six, and if necessary shuffles the discard pile into the new deck.
>A player wins by having all five symbols of one suit (or four and a wild) in their hand, or all five (and no wilds) of different suits at once, and laying them down to show the other players.

I've included this game, like I said, mainly because one of my players took the time to not only come up with it, but went out of his way to buy a pack of blank tarot cards in order to hand-paint an Ichari deck for me and the rest of us to use, with 'our' suits being in our favorite colors. I still have it, and while I don't often bring the actual deck out anymore for fear of ruining the work, we still make a point of playing a hand or two with playing cards every now and then during downtimes and travelling transitions.
>>
>>43822435
that's awesome! this is pretty in-line with my thinking here, a simple game to be played whenever that only requires the set of cards themselves, simple rules but I would like a bit deeper gameplay
>>
>>43821182
A couple years ago I was working at a summer camp. Kids were into pokemon and (the older ones) yu-gi-oh. I tried to promote the games, because I'm a secret neckbeard and because I think that activities like those are good for kids. I even took up pokemon to play with them.
However after a couple of weeks we had an ugly situation when some of the kids had their cards stolen - kids fighting, parents angry, and the supervisor banned card games. So, to fill that space, I set out with some of the kids and we made a new CCG. It wasn't super-original (I basically ripped off the basics of Magic with some pokemon thrown in), but the cards were themed around the story we used for activities, and the kids made the illustrations.
The coolest thing about working with kids is the memetic propagation of some ideas. The following year, I gave the cards to the new batch of kids, and between those returning from the previous year and the new ones they came up with a completely different ruleset in order to play since they couldn't remember how it was played.
>>
>>43822670
that's a cool concept though

just use symbols on cards rather than any defining text and many different games can be played with the same set of cards

could be difficult to make more complex rules without a cheat sheet though
>>
>>43821182
I tried doing a card game for basically just me and my friends, if that counts. Was basically supposed to be based completely around horror, but like, all kinda horror stuff. I remember I had about half a deck of recognizable horror villains like Jason and such, then I had characters like this one guy, who was disguised as an old lady and used his dolls to kill people. Can't remember the name of the movie. Then there were just old urban legend creatures and stuff. Was basically built around having one leader monster that was to be protected by a bunch of minions that you could equipt with different abilities or weapons. Stats were pretty much standard health, Defense and Fear, which went up either on its own or through abilities or items, and basically acted as the Action Poitns of sorts. I actually made up a deck of cards already and it was actually real fun, but keeping track of the fear did get a bit annoying at times.
>>
>>43822785
Well the thing that I find interesting is that something similar happens with all kinds of games. Kids around here play pokemon and yu-gi-oh in their own ways, and the made-up rules are transmitted from one school courtyard to another and so on in a way that is consistent if not correct. At least until they reach the age when they start going to the LGS and play competitively.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.