[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retrowave, Futurism, 80s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: 80s as FUCK.jpg (72KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
80s as FUCK.jpg
72KB, 736x414px
Alright, so I want to build some kind of retrowave game. I'm still struggling with what system to use - I figure something fast and loose. Storyteller system seemed interesting but I think I can do better.

But I also want to know what /tg/ would think are essential elements of a retrowave/futurism game. Slick car chases? Foggy nights? What kind of characters would be interesting to see or play as in such a setting? I want all your ideas.

Here, I'll set the mood for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShyYcdWeK0
>>
File: 80s-Style-Retrowave-Animation-0.jpg (137KB, 640x358px) Image search: [Google]
80s-Style-Retrowave-Animation-0.jpg
137KB, 640x358px
>>
File: big_1423343241_image.jpg (201KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
big_1423343241_image.jpg
201KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: tumblr_nt2kbqM0MR1soumhdo1_500.jpg (114KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt2kbqM0MR1soumhdo1_500.jpg
114KB, 500x500px
>>
File: 80s.jpg (207KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
80s.jpg
207KB, 850x850px
>>
>>43819330
Okay, I'll bite. I like that you avoided that term people here obsess about so much.

Don't build a game. People have tried. The genre is too vapid and people's expectations differ too much. Start playing with a campaign seed and a cast of PCs, then expand on that. Work with your players. Don't set anything in stone until it matters to the story.

Mechanically pretty much anything will work. But I'd stay away from things that are balanced for encounter combat and instead focus on games here you remain flexible to introduce and stat out whatever happens to come up.

First and foremost that is of course Fate, and FAE would probably be my first pick.

Not everyone can into meta mechanics though. At the opposite end of the spectrum, where it's crunchy, you find ORE. it mods easy as pie, is a joy to play, and the fastest precise crunch I know of.

You can always use Savage Worlds. The system is sufficiently quick and generic. But unlike ORE it doesn't mod well, it's just vague enough, but it doesn't get meta.

The classic systems for Cyberpunk are Fuzion variants. But I'd avoid that, it's just too dated.

If you are looking for games to inspire your setting you should look at Modempunk, Eclipse Phase, and Netrunner, the card game.
>>
>>43819800
This

You have an idea for a campaign or a mood, not a stand alone game.

Also, what term?
>>
>>43820101
It starts with a word that politicians and arms manufacturers have taken up as a buzzword to convey "anything technical that I do not understand but fear" and terminates in a suffix originally describing disruptive individuals and reclaimed in fame for a counter culture rebelling against conformity in the Cold War era. The whole term is often credited to William Gibson for Burning Chrome and Neuromancer, although I believe he never used it in either.
>>
>>43819330
If you want to actually try and build a game, go with a World hack.

>>43819800
>The genre is too vapid and people's expectations differ too much.

Spirit of '77 is pretty much a series of 70s exploitation movie archetypes and it works despite equally vapid genres and differing expectations. It's heavily DM dependent to run successfully.
>>
I appreciate the feedback so far. Thanks kindly. If you were going to play in a sort of dystopian 80s cityscape what sort of story would you guys like to see? An action thriller? A neon noir mystery?
>>
>>43820273
What kind of dystopia? Blade Runner-style, post-apoc b-movie, Bret Easton Ellis, etc?
>>
>>43820273
Depends entirely on the group.

I'd try to keep the scope small and the structure episodal, at least at first. Fight for your block before you fight for your street. Infiltrate your district administration before you take over the city. Roll to fix a car in a garage under fire before you roll to eliminate a city from orbit.
>>
>>43820293
I'd give the players agency over the story. Present a problem with no obvious solution and a lot of opportunities. Then see what plan they come up with. Are they going to take a hostage, conduct a heist, a frontal assault, or do they try to find out more than they should know? Do they call the authorities or do they try to stay under the radar?

The only effort I'd make is to shape them into a functioning team.
>>
Sort of characters I would like to play?
Android punk, wearing a leather jacket and turned loose from his programming. He's looking for the guy who jail-broke him, although he doesn't know what he'll do when he finds him.
VHS Rental clerk by day, keyboard cowboy by night. Worked for the military before a scandal led to his unit getting disbanded. Now he's worried that they're getting "cleaned up" by someone, so he's trying to scrape the creds together to go to ground.
Small time boxer with mob connections. Does enforcer work to make ends meet, but doesn't have the cold heart to be a hitman. Hoping that the next bloodied face will make him quit, but doubts it.
Corrupt detective who's stuck covering up his superior's dirty work. But, he's seen something bigger than prostitution rings and nepotism, something he can't let slide. He's calling in favors and stepping on toes, but is still waiting for the boot to drop and crush his investigation.

Sprinkle in cool cars and motorcycles where appropriate.
>>
But Hotline Miami is already made.
>>
As someone who was actually cognizant in the 1980s, it's weird to see how people who weren't born until after the close of the decade perceive it.
>>
>>43819330
GURPS.
>>
Your synthesizer background music sucks. These will get your players in the mood

https://youtu.be/1pkVLqSaahk

https://youtu.be/oOg5VxrRTi0

https://youtu.be/siwpn14IE7E

https://youtu.be/ZTidn2dBYbY

https://youtu.be/0_Pq0xYr3L4
>>
>>43822814
While this guy knows his 80's songs real good, the synthesizer songs are what people in the 80's thought what songs were going to be in the future, so it does make sense to use both these instances of song.
>>
>>43822814
I feel like one of these is different than the others.
>>
>>43823375
I've been thinking about the difference between [X period] and [people's idea of X period] a lot lately. I'm pretty sure that the Kung Fury soundtrack is based on the soundtrack for Scarface, and while it's ok, it's weird that nobody ever goes nuts over, say, Basil Poledouris in the same way that they do over this shit.
>>
>>43820174
>often credited to William Gibson
Not in his novels, no, but he embraced the genre definition that Bruce Bethke and Bruce Sterling gave it.
>>
File: distnat.jpg (27KB, 425x237px) Image search: [Google]
distnat.jpg
27KB, 425x237px
>>43822814
>Kenny Loggins

Did someone mention something about a Zone of Danger?
>>
>>43823502
>Basil Poledouris
Oh man, his songs are so awesome. They fit the style of movies so perfectly. Then again, people might not go nuts over him because his soundtracks don't scream EIGHTIES like other stuff people go crazy about.
>>
>>43822814
These are shit. Stop posting.
>>
>>43826769
>Stop posting.
Almost 5 hours ago... phew!
Thank you. Any later and he could have posted again...
>>
>>43826922
You can stop pretending like this is a fast board anytime.
>>
>>43827025
Newcomer to this "discussion" here

You don't need to save face on the Internet, anon. Nobody knows who you are.
>>
>>43826178
They don't scream 80s because people don't perceive them as screaming 80s. As this poster:
>>43822651
said, people learn about the 80s secondhand rather than firsthand (actually consuming period stuff kinda counts) get a weird version of what things were like, especially as people focus in on weird stuff in their third/fourth/fifth generation version.

Try watching William Shatner talk on Star Trek and then think of how people imitate (people imitating people imitating people imitating) the guy.
>>
>>43827359
The 80s were:
Star Wars, Alien, Total Recall, Terminator, The Elephant Man, Raging Bull, Indiana Jones, E.T., Tootsie, Amadeus, The Color Purple, Platoon, Rain Man, Working Girl, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, Knight Rider, The A-Team, Airwolf, The Fall Guy, ...

There was hardly any Miami Vice, Wall Street, or Scarface. Vice City is from 2002, Hotline Miami from 2012.
>>
>>43819800
If I had to guess, I think OP intended something less cyberpunk and more along the lines of the hyper-stylized version of the 80s in Hotline Miami or a neo-noir vibe like in the movie Drive.

>>43819330
As I mentioned Hotline Miami and Drive are decent places to draw inspiration, as are certain parts of season two of Danger 5 if you're looking for something a little goofier. Think cocaine, neon lights, synth music and excess. Unknown Armies could be a good system for captuing the fast pace if you don't mind high lethality.
>>
>>43827562

>Star wars
A long time ago in a galaxy far away

>Alien
The Future

>Total Recall
The Future

>Terminator
Yep

>The elephant man
19th century

>Raging Bull
70's

>Indiana Jones
30's

>ET
okay

>Tootsie
I think that's 60's

>Amadeus
18th century

>The Color Purple
60's i think

>Platoon
60's/70's

>Rain Man
Definitely, definitely 80's.

>Working Girl
Dont know this one

>Dead Poets society
Drawing a blank

>Field of dreams
Yeah

>Knight Rider
I'll give you that

>A-Team
I was sure this was 70's

>Airwolf
Yeah, 80's

>The Fall Guy
Don't know it
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.