[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horror General - Nemesis RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 14

File: thing_2105563i.jpg (66KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
thing_2105563i.jpg
66KB, 620x388px
Subtopic: The Nemesis RPG

I've always heard Nemesis put forth as this sparkly alternative to Call of Cthulhu for nasty survival horror--but it always seems like a lot of theorycrafting and not much actual play. I'd be curious to hear some actual play reports.

And a horror gaming general if you feel like it. I'll bump with the occasional pic if this doesn't slide right off the board.
>>
>>43804371
Interested
Got any sample of the scenarios or mechanics?
>>
>>43804380
Nemesis is free online. AFAIK there's no official scenarios or continued support from the publisher--it was a one off freebie based on the One Roll Engine. Basically ORE lite with the unknown armies sanity mechanic.
>>
File: no_sleep.gif (678KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
no_sleep.gif
678KB, 720x480px
Hope other anons will post pics. Gooey creatures and body horror are cool, but more atmospheric stuff is cool too.
>>
>Horror general

So I can talk about Call of Cthulhu here? Because I want to know why Night Gaunts' only attack is to tickle people for no damage, using their sharp claws, horns and spines. How does that even work?
>>
File: gump .gif (2MB, 716x296px) Image search: [Google]
gump .gif
2MB, 716x296px
Look up Survival Horror, I believe the definition is more narrow than you imply. Actual play is a term used to describe recordings of session as distinguished from podcasts about games, it does not apply to mechanics.

Nemesis is just crunch. It's a free ORE version made to explore the dynamics of Horror roleplaying. Much of its core has been integrated with the new Delta Green. Greg Stolze has been developing the Madness Meter from UA over Nemesis to DG, and ORE is his super fast yet detailed resolution mechanic from Reign. Nemesis was never meant to be a full game with setting and expansions. It is an exercise combining some of the most innovative mechanics in roleplaying to make a game geared towards atmosphere and tension while also remaining generic. It is not a system to teach you horror tension like Dread, or a treasure trove of genre resources like CoC.

I have been using the Madness Meter in BRP mods for years and appreciate it a lot. For very little added complexity you get a mechanic that makes so much more sense, helps players roleplay, and provides motivation instead of frustration. The general ORE deal I know from playing Enchiridion, and it is wonderful! It is a fast system with a gamist heart but plenty of simulationist detail - without getting held up by it. You make one pool roll per character per round, and it resolves initiative, hits, damage, damage location, and even multiple actions.

I fully endorse Nemesis as best generic Horror crunch available, beaten only by less universally applicable games within their respective niches, like Dread for B-movie plots, or DRYH for a spiral of character decay. If you want to keep up with current developments, nothing is more fresh than DG. The v.4 beta is available for free. It is based on BRP, not ORE, but incorporates many of the same ideas and has almost the same genre in mind. DG is a bit more personal in its character tragedy with Bonds, and a bit less gamist with d100 skills. A minimal distinction.
>>
>>43804371
>that picture
Jesus, I hate and love The Thing, it's just so unnerving and creepy.

-The players find an old cassette tape in a shoebox. When put into a tape player, they get only a few seconds of heavy, wet breathing before it cuts out. Upon inspecting the tape afterwards, there is no magnetic strip inside.
-One of the PC's shirts is bloody. It starts off as a small stain, but over time gradually covers a wider area, as if they were bleeding. This begins at dawn and ends at dusk, and the effect persists no matter how often they change clothing.
-When on board the elevator, scratching sounds and deep toned incomprehensible whispers can be heard. If examined, the elevator shaft is empty.
-A puddle on the road has a drowning woman hammering on the bottom of the surface as if the water was solid.
-A large puddle appears after a rain storm. if you look down into it you see a full town submerged underwater.
-The sound of a whetstone sharpening a blade not far off can clearly be heard, yet neither the direction nor location can be discerned.
-A PC's Holy Symbol begins to weep blood from nonexistent wounds.
>>
File: _the-art-of-michael-macrae (01).jpg (369KB, 1600x844px) Image search: [Google]
_the-art-of-michael-macrae (01).jpg
369KB, 1600x844px
-PC discovers pieces of the last monster or person they killed mixed in with their rations.
-For one night, there is an extra moon in the sky. It's fully visible and pockmarked with craters. It's gone the next night. The pc's have dreams of this moon the night before it appears, and for one week after.
-When walking down a hallway (mansion, hotel, whatever) the players suddenly notice a set of bloody footprints being imprinted on the carpet, passing from one wall to the other, as if an invisible person just walked through one wall and continued across the hallway through the other wall.
-The character is asleep in his bed, and he wakes up to the sound of drops falling on water. He looks around and the bedroom floor has turned into a black ocean in which he can see things moving underneath the surface...black, tentacled things (and they're not octopi).
-The woods are completely silent. Utterly silent. And empty, for that matter, even of mosquitoes. As a counter: the woods are filled with chirps, and the sounds of thriving life. But every creature seen is dead, and in a fairly advanced state of death.
-The pc's discover a chest in the woods. Upon opening it, they find a painting of the party with an unknown marks painted on their foreheads, each with a different mark.
-Aa cabin alone in the mountains, only to find a journal that just said "MEAT MEAT MEAT OH GOD THE PAIN SAVE ME"
>>
Also this is my favourite pasta from /out/.

An honestly weird story from a time when I had this job where I traveled across the country working in various courthouses.

Basically I drove 14 hours a day, usually through the night. It wasn't at all uncommon for me to be driving at 3AM.

Wyoming was a fucking creepy place.

It's winter. Imagine the entire landscape being dead, blighted, brown. Just mountains and clouds and tiny rays of light shining down. The roads icy, but the land wasn't snowy. Just dead. Empty.

And as you drove deeper into the state you began to notice something. Dead Elk. One every few miles. As you go in further you see more and more of them, until you seem to see one every mile or so. Just a dead elk that has been run over and left by the road or in it.

Then you drive on and you see them there, right by the road. They look at you, unconcerned by their dead.

You drive into a tiny town at 3am, the only light a faint glow from half broken street lights. Other than that, it's actually almost scenic. Little houses, flowers, lawns. It's worn down - cracked sidewalks, streets, and so on, but it could practically be an out of the way town from my home in Idaho.

And Elk. Elk in every yard, eating the grass. Elk eating the remains of the flowers. Elk in the roads, walking around.

And you drive in at 3AM to this tiny, empty, seemingly abandoned town covered with nothing but elk and their shining eyes reflecting your headlights.

Then they turn and look at you. All of them. As one. You seem like the only human in the world in that instant, being judged.

I fucking hate Wyoming and I'm never going back.
>>
>>43804625
I'm not criticizing Nemesis for not have dozens of splatbooks--one of the reasons I'm curious about it. It doesn't come saddled with canon settings and baddies.

"Actual play" can describe video/audio of a play session, but I'm just looking for people who've played the game. Thanks for the notes on the madness meter. To me it seems rather complicated. I'd be a little afraid that the atmosphere would be harmed by players getting too cerebral about their character's fear.
>hmm I'm hardened against violence but not supernatural... how do I handle this

>nothing is more fresh than DG
Fresh?

>>43804657
>>43804661
thanks anon, have some Lee Friedlander
>>
>>43804544
You seem to be under the impression that it has to make sense.

Have you ever been tickled by someone who wouldn't stop? Past the point of laughing, past the point of crying, to the point of screaming? I have. It's horrible. You can't fight them off you cant make them stop, you can't talk, you can only scream. And they might stop. they might not. You might piss yourself if you're really unlucky.

It's non-invasive rape. It's an assault that sounds harmless, up until it isn't. And these things are doing it while flying hundreds of feet in the air...which means, if they stop, you die. It's not a nice thing to have happen.
>>
>>43804675
Except it doesn't cause any SAN loss at all.
And how do you tickle with claws and spines, without causing damage?
>>
>>43804683
And why does it even have claws and horns if it can't use them?

Is the tickling thing something from Lovecraft's stories?
>>
File: Shanty-Mono-Cover-lg.png (2MB, 908x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Shanty-Mono-Cover-lg.png
2MB, 908x1280px
>Paracas is a desert peninsula located within the Pisco Province in the Inca Region, on the south coast of Peru. It is here were Peruvian archaeologist, Julio Tello, made an amazing discovery in 1928 – a massive and elaborate graveyard containing tombs filled with the remains of individuals with the largest elongated skulls found anywhere in the world. These have come to be known as the ‘Paracas skulls’.

>The cranial volume is up to 25 percent larger and 60 percent heavier than conventional human skulls, meaning they could not have been intentionally deformed through head binding/flattening. They also contain only one parietal plate, rather than two. The fact that the skulls’ features are not the result of cranial deformation means that the cause of the elongation is a mystery, and has been for decades.

>Whatever the sample labeled 3A has came from – it had mtDNA with mutations unknown in any human, primate or animal known so far. The data is very sketchy though and a LOT of sequencing still needs to be done to recover the complete mtDNA sequence. But a few fragments I was able to sequence from this sample 3A indicate that if these mutations will hold we are dealing with a new human-like creature, very distant from Homo sapiens, Neanderthals and Denisovans.
>>
>>43804669
The Madness Meter is only more complicated in chargen. Once you have the numbers on the sheet you have a one look readout that distinguishes violence from helplessness or the supernatural. So if your character is shocked by circumstances you just check which track applies. You can be deeply traumatized about violence but completely unburdened with supernatural stuff. You can be a grim veteran who has seen a lot of senseless blood spilling and learned to deal with it, yet still gets the rug pulled from under his feet when people he just shot get up a second later and attack again with a reddish glow in their glazed over eyes. These distinctions are mechanically relevant. Once you are sure which track applies you see if you are hardened, already traumatized, or innocent in that respect. It is much easier to handle than an abstract number that sums up all your trauma and just gets lower with each new gruesome clue you discover. You actually get tougher, with all the consequences this implies.

DG is in open beta and scheduled for release in March. It is the pet project gone mainstream of such illustrious names as John Scott Tynes, Dennis Detwiller, Adam Scott Glancy, Shane Ivey, and the mechanics mastermind since UA: Greg Stolze.
>>
File: img_0118_ir_lomo.jpg (677KB, 4752x3168px) Image search: [Google]
img_0118_ir_lomo.jpg
677KB, 4752x3168px
>>43804717
>John Scott Tynes, Dennis Detwiller, Adam Scott Glancy, Shane Ivey, and the mechanics mastermind since UA: Greg Stolze.

So which one are you?
>>
>>43804729
The one giving advice from personal experience, not the one talking trash on the internet.
>>
File: 1445771487184.jpg (2MB, 2451x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1445771487184.jpg
2MB, 2451x3000px
I have nothing to contribute so I am going to post this picture.
>>
File: watch.jpg (74KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
watch.jpg
74KB, 1024x719px
>>43804748
>not even a screamer or a pop-open to some other image

man, step it up senpai
>>
>>43804756
Screamers are shit desu, senpai. Here, have some works written by HPL himself.
>>
File: alphaville_ak.stairs.jpg (28KB, 450x351px) Image search: [Google]
alphaville_ak.stairs.jpg
28KB, 450x351px
>>43804741
Who's talking shit, Greg?
>>
>>43804851
How awesome would it be to actually have him lurking here?
>>
File: lovecraft-bestiary.jpg (422KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft-bestiary.jpg
422KB, 1280x1792px
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.