[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Anima Campaign Shinanigans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: hwat.jpg (17KB, 462x409px) Image search: [Google]
hwat.jpg
17KB, 462x409px
>Be me
>decide to gm an anima beyond fantasy campaign a for a few friends
>Character creation was a little rough but we powered through
>wait a couple days so I can get some ideas of what to do
>one of my players has got a shit eating grin the whole time
>gametime.jpeg
>campaign starts off with without a hitch
>comes up to sir smiles's turn
>nigga reeks of shinanagans
>mfw dis nigga almost single handedly wipes out the two crime syndicates fighting for power in a shithole town in 24hrs
>mfw the party turns a shithole town into a eutopia within 3 months
>may the dice gods forever bless your shinanagans
>>
>>43803763
Just what did he do, anon? I request specifics.
And crime syndicates? You start them in Dwanholf?
>>
>>43803763
>>Be me
You should try not being yourself. It helps with not being a faggot.
>>
>>43803763
>>43805926
Seriously though. What Class was Smiles? Did he just outright trivialize combat through what seemed to you some bullshit ability?
As an Anima GM with some experience under their belt, maybe I can help you figure out what happened.
>>
>>43808233
Seconding this. What the fuck even happened?
>>
Bump for curiosity.
>>
Guessing OP ain't showing back up.
Oh well.
Speaking of Anima, though, did anyone ever fully translate that Nekomimi Exxet fanbook?
Or, for that matter, does anyone have translations of the lizard race from Those Who Walked 2?
>>
>>43808233
>>43808357
>>43809603
Nothing, because it was a made up story.

>>43808233
Sell me on Anima. What is it and why should I care? Or better yet, why should my group care?
>>
File: Anima Combat Flowchart.jpg (316KB, 1190x998px) Image search: [Google]
Anima Combat Flowchart.jpg
316KB, 1190x998px
>>43811443
First thing's first. Here's the combat system.
If you and/or your group can deal with that, you're good for the most part.
Chargen, especially for newbies, can take a while, but once you get the basics down, you can make new characters in no time.
Armor is damage reduction, not AC.
Breakdown on class grouping, as there are quite a few classes.
>Fighters - Warrior, Acrobatic Warrior, Weaponmaster
Hit things hard, have good athletic secondary abilities, typically. Warriors are generalists, Acros are dodgy and quick, Weaponmasters are durable as fuck.
>Domine - Technician and Tao
Ki stuff here. Techies are pure ki users, Taos get Martial Arts on the cheap, while not sacrificing much ki. Frequently the most powerful characters due to crazy Ki shenanigans.
>Stealth - Ranger, Assassin, Thief, Shadow
More fragile than fighters, better social and subterfuge stuff. Rangers good at perceptives and survival in the wild, Assassins get in and kill, Thieves get in, steal, get out, Shadows are Ninjas who get in, gather info, do ki stuff, get out.
>Psychic - Mentalists, Warrior Mentalists
Psions. Fairly versatile, and strong early on, they tend to plateau earlier than most, but are still strong. WarMens sacrifice some psychic potency to be tankier.
>Casters - Wizards, Warlocks, and Wizard-Mentalists
Use mana instead of spells per day. Eleven spell paths, with several Free Access Spells to make each PC different. Warlocks are half fighter, WizMens are half Mentalist, and both take some penalties to both abilities.
>Other Supernaturals - Summoner, Warrior Summoner, Paladin, Dark Paladin
Use mana to Summon/Control/Bind/Banish creatures. Take some prep time to be super effective at it. Summoning flavors range from FFVII to Manimal to Pokemon. WarSums are half fighter. Paladins and Dark pallies are primarily fighters, but can Banish or Control good, respectively.
>Freelancers
Jack of all Trades. Literally. Typically the NPC class.
>>
>>43811954
Anima's combat system is a complete mess. In fact, the entire system is a complete mess with some good ideas built in.
>>
>>43812236
And yet it feels less wonky to me than PF.
To each their own, I guess.
>>
>>43814081
The balance is definitely not the best in places and there are some things I don't really like about the system, but overall I think Anima's general mechanics are pretty cool. Attacks resolve quickly, and the initiative/counterattack system makes combat feel a lot more dynamic than in most games. The Ki system and technique creation is neat too, even if it's not perfect.
>>
>>43814299
Agreed.
And some of the books do help a GM figure out hard counters to players who think they can job the system.
Like Infinite Orb for Creation Mages or smarmy Summoners.

And no, I don't mean using those counters to ruin the lives of the players because they didn't follow the rails. I'm talking when the Creation Wizard casts Chimera 7 times on themselves to gain all sorts of stupid monster powers permanently.
>>
>>43814450
I'm not so much worried about people intentionally trying to break the system. That's solvable by not playing with powergaming twits (and thankfully everyone in my last two games was fairly ok about that.)
>>
>>43814566
Yeah, but it's still nice knowing you have those options available, should the need arise.
My players are pretty good about avoiding the powergaming as well, though one of them needs to work on communicating with me better, especially concerning just WHAT he rolls the dice for.
Other than that, they're not bad.
>>
>>43814952
Sounds good. How's the game going?

Man I miss playing Anima myself.
>>
>>43815112
Not bad, considering I was initially a player, until the original GM admitted he can't into storyline. Running it kinda high supernatural.
One player (AcroWarrior Lim Sidhe) just came in first in the Tao Zahn, beating down the dude who was currently wielding Mjolnir in a spectacular fashion, and earning the hammer's approval.
The other(Railgun Mentalist) unlocked a book given to him by his parents, which is going to help unlock his full psychic potential.
They've also had run-ins with Manah Razz AND Kirie Klarium, neither of which left them entirely happy. Especially the fact that Manah is INTRIGUED by their being touched by destiny/able to shape it(aka being PCs).
Things are heating up elsewhere, with Nerelas ul del Sylvanus leading a Sammael squad into Sylvania after wrecking the Tol Rauko guards, Yehudah making moves behind the scenes, and Lucanor doing Shajads-know-what in those labs of his.
>>
>>43814450
You can't cast Chimera on yourself multiple times anyway.
It only works going from Natural to Being Between Worlds, once you're a being between worlds it won't work on you anymore.
>>
>>43815846
So they do.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.