[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Expecting a lot of owlbears, hoping for none

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: johnathan-joestar-allstarbattle.jpg (181KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
johnathan-joestar-allstarbattle.jpg
181KB, 1000x1400px
My friend's starting up a 5e group, with an anime-inspired campaign. I asked if I could play a Jonathan Joestar expy, and he agreed. So, /tg/, what would be the best way to stat and class the progenitor of all the JoJos (except Joshua bar Joseph)?
>>
>>43802361
I'm not really intimately familiar with the details of any of that stuff, but let me just say that unless this is a level 16+ campaign he better curb his expectations somethin' fierce.
>>
>>43802361
Obviously he'd be a monk, probably has some form of martial magic to emulate Hamon. Charisma and Intelligence up the ass, as well as damn good Strength and Constitution. Probably some feats to let him use Not Luck & Pluck properly. Also some stuff to give him huge bonuses when fighting undead.
>>
>>43802361
Like >>43802582, you could do a monk, but you could also refluff a cleric with destruction or something for your domain.
>>
Anything that let's you deal positive energy damage with your fists. Possibly a punchy paladin.
>>
File: pinku.gif (342KB, 407x336px) Image search: [Google]
pinku.gif
342KB, 407x336px
>>43802361
>a good martial
>5e

sweet child of summer, may your blooms never fade
>>
File: 1364694866057.gif (14KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1364694866057.gif
14KB, 416x416px
Paladin 2/Sun Monk x

Paladin 2 for martial weapon proficiency (Luck and Pluck) and Smites for two damage spikes per long rest. Sun Monk for obvious HAMON. Drop the Paladin 2 if you don't care for Luck/Pluck and smites. Consider Fighter 2 for Action Surge instead of Smite

Or if you want to get really stupid, Paladin 2/ Fighter 2/ Barb 2/ Monk 15 for

>your choice of DexCon/DexWis (but not both) unarmored Defense because Jonathan doesn't use armor
>Martial Arts
>Flurry of Blows
>Sun Monk radiant lasers (HAMON)
>All the other cool Monk shit
>Luck and Pluck proficiency (Longsword, or Shortsword if you want to flurry with it)
>Shounen "I Sense Evil!" in the form of Divine Sense
>Two Smites for your choice of OBADURAIBU (More damage to vampires too. Convenient!)
>Fighting Styles from Paladin and Fighter (not much use but free stuff)
>Action Surge for when something really needs to be punched six times (Sunlight Yellow Overdrive?)
>Barb Rage for "I forgot how his anger explodes!" with free Damage Resistance
>Danger Sense for dodging with style

Obviously not optimal and MAD as fuck but we're going for concept, not bug numbers. Take your classes in whatever order you want, probably alternating like Monk, whatever, Monk, whatever. Or straight Monk then your other classes

If your DM does homebrew someone did a Jojo-inspired Monk archetype a while back before SCAG got released. Try the archives for the 5e general
>>
>>43802992
>Sun Monk
>SCAG

Since not everyone knows what these mean, it's the Sun Soul monk's Way of the Sun Soul from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
>>
>>43803038
Thank you anon. Was too busy assembling that post to think of going back to clarify
>>
>>43803042
I It's easy to get so used to an acronym or nickname that you don't even think that someone may not know it.
>>
>>43802361
You have good taste OP
>>
>>43802992
This sounds good. Op also mentioned 5e and Sunsoul monk is now a track in 5e, so... Paladin 2/ Monk Everything else, remember to pose
>>
>>43802992
>paladin /fighter/barbarian /monk
Did you suck Jesus's cockpit for God awesome rolls? Because not even with elite array you can pull that off
>>
>>43802754
You're thinking of 3.5, martials in 5e are actually viable.
>>
>>43802361
>D&D
>JJBA
This is a bad idea. Choose another system.
>>
>>43802754
How can you possibly be so wrong?
>>
Since there seems to be general agreement about Jonathan, what about Joseph? Sun Soul Monk would have to remain his primary, but would his secondary class shift to rogue in order to take advantage of his penchant for cheating, sneak attacks and overall trickiness?
>>
File: 5446d33a67f2a6dd92ebb7ca3c4d769a.jpg (505KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
5446d33a67f2a6dd92ebb7ca3c4d769a.jpg
505KB, 1200x1600px
>>43805563
Pretty much. Joseph is a cocky prick with a slacker's work ethic, but he's blindingly smart and is famed as the dirtiest fighter in the Joestar family tree.

I'd be disappointed if he WASN'T a rogue.
>>
>>43805542
In this case its more
>>D&D
>>Anime in general
But yes, D&D is not a good system especially trying to use it to portray other series.
>>
>>43805670
Its just sad he jobbed super fucking hard when he stopped being the protagonist.

His whole deal was cheating and being sneaky and yet he lost a battle of wits all so Jotaro could show how big his dick was.
Should have just used ripple on the goddamn coins to subtly manipulate the liquid in the glass.
>>
>>43805720

He got a disappointingly low amount of respect for a guy who soloed three Pillar Men and trolled the fourth into space. It's honestly almost easier to think of the Joseph from part 3 as a different character.
>>
>>43805702
...ye, good point. Unless it's, like, Slayers, and even then the ritual nature of magic in that series means you're basically fighting the system to make it work.
>>
>>43802992
>>43803038
>>43803686
I'm not familiar with sun monks myself, are they literally just Hamon Warriors in D&D?
>>
File: WamuuCaesar.png (2MB, 895x960px) Image search: [Google]
WamuuCaesar.png
2MB, 895x960px
>>43805762
To be fair the way Araki had Caesar lose the very second before beating Whamu himself was pretty bullshit.
>>
>>43805773
Actually, if you're playing 3.PF there's a solution.
A Slayers supplement for 3.5 exists, and the alternate magic system it uses is pretty neato.
>>
>>43807301
Okay, maybe I didn't search thoroughly enough but I failed to find it in the last 5 - 7 minutes. Could you please post it?
>>
>I'm finally reading Jojos after watching the SC anime
>Joseph has been my favorite thus far
>Don't see all of the supposed appeal Jotaro has in SC, he just lurks and has no social skills
>Read DiU
>Joseph's gone and cheated without even being clever enough to use fucking birth control and Jotaro is now a competent, successful, and likeable guy
Why, Araki

Anyways, literally Sun Soul Monk. The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is in the mega over on /5eg/.
If you really want more hamon power without being MAD as shit even more than pure Monk, take a 1 level dip in War Cleric for a couple basic spells, including Divine Favor (1 minute 1d4 radiant bonus to attacks)
>>
>>43810174
Haven't you ever been horny?
>>
File: Johnny Joestar.jpg (482KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny Joestar.jpg
482KB, 500x706px
>>43802361
Be a nihilistic ranger with a rideable animal companion, with folk hero/entertainer as your backround. If your GM won't let you have a large sized animal companion try to justify it by having your character be paraplegic and needing to ride it to get around. Later on start taking levels in wizard and start off with only blaster spells, but eventually start taking the weirdest spells you can, especially anything that lets you teleport or rapidly manipulate the battlefield. When you get the wish spell only ever use it to kill the main villain, but hope they don't have a counter for it.

Oh wait... you used his full name... monk/cleric then, but if your GM only watches anime then you won't be surprising him at all.
>>
>>43810788
That part had a completely stupid endgame. Even dumber than Dio's head coming back and managing to kill Jonathan.
>>
I don't think Sun Monk really works for Jonathan, since the monk is all about long range and Jonathan is always in melee. I could maaaaaaybe see it fluffed as zoom punch but that sounds silly.

Open hand would be fine. You can have your save-or-die attack be the ripple tearing your opponent's body apart.
>>
>>43804623
If someone's doing an animu-inspired game I can only imagine the ability scores are going to be pretty generous.
>>
>>43802361
Solar Monk, for fuck's sake.

That said, anime + D&D5e is a square peg / round hole situation.
>>
>>43811629
I kinda dig how completely off the rails it got in the end, with godlike powers being thrown around willy nilly and being counteracted.

Also alternate universe Diego Brando was fucking amazing.
>>
>>43812358
It was just part 3 Dio without the vampirism, I'm bored of the World.
>>
File: MUDA intensifies.gif (422KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
MUDA intensifies.gif
422KB, 500x500px
>>43812358

>tfw Johnny is your most favorite JoJo.
>tfw You love the trope of punching gods in their asshole faces.
>tfw Fucking gravity punching is a cooler idea to you than sun punching.
>tfw Sir Isaac Newton is still the deadliest motherfucker in space.

I'm not even sure if it's worth putting the spoilers up. I know 3 different people who "have watched JoJo's," but every time I ask them if they're going to read it I get a steadfast "no." My best friend still thinks that Part 3 Stands have creative designs.

Life may be suffering, but not wanting to pull a full "you neeeed to reeeaaadd iiiiit it's sooo goooood" otaku-ism is greater suffering.
>>
>>43805563
Sun Soul Monk/Rogue Variant Human (if allowed). Take Magic Initiate and grab Thorn Whip for Hermit Purple.
>>
>>43813499
Just tell your friends to keep watching. Stand designs really hit their peak in part 5 imo.

I'm not talking about GER or KC either. Those assassin's had some of the best designs.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.