[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate my dnd 5e Wizard Str 8 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: Nin Portrait.jpg (143KB, 884x1707px) Image search: [Google]
Nin Portrait.jpg
143KB, 884x1707px
Rate my dnd 5e Wizard

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 12

AC 12
HP 8

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Prestidigitation, Light
lvl 1 Spells: Sleep, Witch Bolt, Mage Armour, Shield, Find familiar, Identify

Did I fuck up massively or is she ok?
>>
>5e
You're a wizard so you're already the golden child of the system.
>>
>>43768481
But I have 8 hitpoints and a longsword swung by someone with 10 strength can 1 hit kill me.
>>
Ok, so I have a philosophy on how to play a wizard in 5e. Would you like to hear it?
>>
File: 1443342377214.jpg (57KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1443342377214.jpg
57KB, 500x600px
>>43768486
That's a fact of life for 80% of lvl.1 DnD characters.
You'll do fine, relax.
>>
>>43768504
Just post it.
>>
>>43768528
Ok this is the plan itself, the game started at level 2. Next post I will talk about it.

Finalized plan: (This spell list starts at level 2)

Level 2:
5 prepared spells

Combat:
Single Target Damage: Ray of Frost
Single Target Control: Tasha's
Single Target Defense: Mage Armor/Hypnotic Gaze
Area Damage: None
Area Defense: Grease
Area Offense: Sleep

Out Of Combat Utility:
Alarm (ritual)
Comprehend Language (ritual)
Detect Magic (ritual)
Message (cantrip)
Minor Illusion (cantrip)
Prestidigitation (cantrip)
Hypnotic Gaze (class feature)
Disguise Self

Level 3:
6 prepared spells
Area Damage: Flame Sphere
Out of Combat Utility: Magic Mouth (ritual)

Level 4:
8 prepared spells
Single Target Control: Hold Person
Out Of Combat Utility: Invisibility

Level 5:
9 prepared spells
Single Target Control: Ray of Enfeeblement
Out Of Combat Utility: Identify (ritual)

Level 6:
10 prepared spells
Single Target Defense: Instinctive Charm (class feature)
Area Damage: Fireball
Out Of Combat Utility: Leomund's Tiny Hut (ritual)

Level 7:
11 Prepared Spells
Area Defense: Sleet Storm
Out Of Combat Utility: Water Breathing (ritual)

Level 8:
13 prepared spells
Area Defense: Stinking Cloud
Out of Combat Utility: Major Image

Final Totals as of Level 8:

Combat:
Single Target Damage: Ray of Frost
Single Target Control: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Ray of Enfeeblement, Hold Person
Single Target Defense: Mage Armor, Hypnotic Gaze, Instinctive Charm (class feature)
Area Damage: Fireball, Flame Sphere
Area Defense: Grease, Sleet Storm
Area Offense: Sleep, Stinking Cloud

Out Of Combat Utility:
Alarm (ritual)
Comprehend Language (ritual)
Detect Magic (ritual)
Water Breathing (ritual)
Leomund's Tiny Hut (ritual)
Identify (ritual)
Magic Mouth (ritual)
Message (cantrip)
Minor Illusion (cantrip)
Prestidigitation (cantrip)
Hypnotic Gaze (class feature)
Disguise Self
Major Image
>>
>>43768544
That this speaks to is the fact that wizards are special, and can cast rituals as long as they are in your spell book. You should for as long as possible (it's possible till level 10 I believe) to only have as many non-ritual spells as you have prepared slots.

Also, I separated combat spells into categories, them being Single Target VS Area and Damage vs Control vs Defense. one should always have options in each of these forms and not weight too heavily on any single one.

As you can see from the level 8 list, my character would have all this spells prepared and be able to cast all his rituals given enough time. That is a HUGE boon and provides a large amount of utility. It also gets better if the GM is using harder magic item identification rules from the DMG.

I chose enchantment because both hypnotic gaze and instinctive charm fall into Single Target Defense category, which needed filling out.

As well you can notice I only have one single target damage, and that is because as a wizard single target damage is not your job, leave that to the martials. You should be more controlling combat and providing support, which is why it has three different single target control spells.
>>
File: ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg (54KB, 640x516px) Image search: [Google]
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg
54KB, 640x516px
>>43768486
>this is different for other classes in 5e
>those classes are in melee and don't have Shield
>>
>>43768516
FIRST FLOOR DUNGEON
ASSORTED SIMPLE TORTURES
>>
>>43768587
>>
>>43768578
They instead just have "A shield" which gives +2 ac all the time versus +5 for a turn, up to twice a day.
>>
File: herald caller.gif (823KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
herald caller.gif
823KB, 500x270px
>>43768746
>b-b-but it's ALL DAY

ok mearls
>>
>>43768752
You can't make demonstrable facts look wrong by implying I stuttered.

What I said was accurate, they always have +2 to AC, which helps mitigate a large portion of the damage they will receive.

In this system +2 is a big deal. To dismiss it as being somehow worse than a +5 ignores the fact that it is an "Always on" effect versus a twice per day spell.

You're being a zany man and you know it.
>>
>>43768764
i'm implying that your tummyfeel math is shit, not that you stutter

jizzing out +5 AC in response to an already-calculated attack roll basically means negating two attacks a day to a class that already shits out CC everywhere, is in the backline, and is entirely free to tell everybody to fuck around for 8 hours when the spell slots run out in traditional 3aboo fashion

but it's ok, fighter can do it all day
>>
>>43768813
In 5e shields are actually just straight better than the spell, what are you talking about? Wizards are still more powerful, but that's not why. The shield becomes better after 7 attacks against you per day, which unless your DM is coddling you there should be more than 7 attacks against you per day at anything but the lowest levels.
>>
>>43768813
I'm not sure if you were bullied by wizards as a child but you're being unreasonable.

>a backline class has an ability to negate 2 attacks a day at the expense of all their level 1 spells

>d6 hit die
>no leveled spells if you use shield twice

Versus a fighter who is still a fighter all day, does no expend spells for his extra survivability, has a d10 hit die, a way of spending a hit die mid-combat, a way of taking two actions in a turn.

I really don't know what your deal is senpai, every class has good stuff, that's why they're classes. They wouldn't make one good class and several shit ones as a joke, this isn't 2003.
>>
>>43768844
his deal is that he understands math better than you.
>>
>>43768764
You are not significantly more squishy than most of the other classes AND you are a fucking wizard. You should be in a lot less danger of getting hit than most other classes. Even then, you already have AC12. What more do you want?
>>
>>43768844
Fighter still drops off like a rock from a cliff in comparison to the wizard, once you get a few levels. In low levels, everyone is practically equally shitty and squishy, that D10 is going to do fuck-all most of the time.
>>
>>43768851
>the deal is he understands math better than you
No, it is true, 5 IS a bigger number than 2. However, because he has limited number of uses of that 5 per day, and each use spends a limited resources of his he would need for offense it isn't the best use of his spells unless he thinks he's dying without it.

Even then, on average against the same to hit (two identical creatures going at two characters, one a wizard and one a fighter). Each shield buys you roughly the amount of saved damage as 3.5~ hits when having a normal shield. Honestly? If unless you're only planning on getting hit 2-4 times a day (which shouldn't be a thing unless you DM is coddling you) that spell isn't as good as a piece of metal.

But fuck, what do I care? Spend your resources on an inefficient spell. I'll spend than on ACTUALLY good spells.
>>
>>43768851
As this anon pointed out >>43768831 it's not a sustainable benefit, it's a spell you cast when things go a bit wrong.

Beside, like I said, you give up all your spells to do cast it twice in a day. Do you really want to be without any other level 1 spells all day? Probably not.

Yeah, it's a nice spell, no arguments, that's why I, and almost everyone else, picked it at level 1. But it's not everything, and you miss out on a lot.
>>
>>43768858
>You should be in a lot less danger of getting hit than most other classes.
What are anything with a ranged attack or anything sapient that realizes they should hit the wizard. There is no such thing as a lock down build in 5e.

>Even then, you already have AC12.
Yes, the fighter (he he chose a shield) is going to have 16. 4 is a significant margin in 5e.

But again, the spell is just inefficient and should only be used when the hit will otherwise kill you. It's not a good spell.
>>
>>43768885
It's a good spell, but it's not, as for some reason this thread seems to hinge on, worth casting with all of your spell slots.
>>
>>43768476
Sleep will be useless after a couple of levels. I can see how light is useful but nothing has the raw utility as minor illusion. Also why don't you have grease? Get it at level 2.
>>
File: 1373919382873.jpg (220KB, 1045x956px) Image search: [Google]
1373919382873.jpg
220KB, 1045x956px
>>43768813
>>43768831
>>43768844
I love the classic Wizard VS. Fighter debate. On the one hand, wizards can deal massive damage or change the course of a battle with one spell. On the other hand, fighters have very few restrictions on what they can accomplish in a day because most of their abilities recharge on a short rest and they soak up and dish out damage like a boss. The biggest factor is character level and the enemy that is being fought.

Of course the biggest exception to this is the bladesinger wizard, who pretty much can become a fighter twice a day for one fight each time.
>>
>>43768544
>No Hypnotic Pattern
Its like you dont want to incapacitate everyone
>>
>>43768914
>why don't you have grease?

My party is too melee.

>2 paladins
>barbarian
>Monk
>Ranger
>Wizard

(and on occasion when he can make it, a warlock)

The ranger used to be a fighter too, so I thought grease wasn't perhaps the wisest spell to take.
>>
>>43768813
>Wizard casts fly
>Wizard stops caring about puny mortals
>>
>>43768885
Sentinel fighter is pretty good at lockdown actually. Especially polearm master sentinel. Also, with shield you should have 18, not 16.

But still, wizards are really squishy so overall yeah the wizard needs the party to protect them to ensure they can rain death upon your foes.
>>
>>43768948
I mean yeah, for a few minutes, during which he's still vulnerable to arrows.
>>
>>43768942
As long as you keep in contact with battle preparation you can work around this, lure the enemies to you and then cast grease so that your allies can make short work of the now prone adversaries. Also grease fires, those come in handy.
>>
>>43768948
>Hobgoblin casts arrow
>crit
>wizard casts tremor as he hits the ground

;^)
>>
>>43768948
Fly can put you easily outside the range of bows
>>
>>43768914
>>43768942

I didn't answer the start of your post, sorry.

>Sleep will be useless after a couple of levels

Maybe, but for the levels it's useful at it's gold. Besides, I get 2 spells for free per level I can afford to pick spells that are good at certain levels if I get them early enough.

>why no minor illusion
I'm going the divination route so I'd lose a lot of the modifiers that that stacks on, as it stands minor illusion is pretty nice, but so is Prestidigitation, and I prioritised it higher as it has a broader range of utility.

Light is useful, I'm playing as a human so I need a means of granting vision in dungeons.

Also it's a means of granting enemies disadvantage to attacks against you, if you cast light on a rock or something and throw it into a group of enemies they're in bright light, you're in dim light or darkness.

Pretty handy.
>>
>>43768994
Don't get me wrong prestidigitation is great, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. And if it works for your party, use it. Just grab minor illusion when you get a 4th cantrip, you wont regret it.
>>
>>43768992
If the enemies give you the chance to fly up all the way yes. One archer in the back lines of the enemy force is all it takes though.
>>
>>43768948
>hit by arrow
>get dropped because lol you have no hitpoints
>fall to ground at 0hp
>take a million falling damage
>dead without a save

or even

>loud noise forced concentration check
>fall to ground
>>
>>43769004
I've heard this a lot but without actually haven't played it myself it's hard to see the utility.

You can achieve the sound elements with Prestidigitation, it's only the lasting images that it can't do.

What's the big deal with minor illusion? (if you're not an illusionist, the advantages there are obvious).
>>
>>43769016
Like one of the best things to do with minor illusion is to cast it multiple times in the shape of boxes. Have all of your party get inside. Instant pass for all sneak checks as enemies would have to have some reason to suspect the boxes in the first place
>>
>>43769021
Is your DM a former metal gear solid guard?
>>
>>43769007
Getting dropped by a single arrow at level 6? What assbackwards place are you from?
>>
>>43769016
In addition, minor illusion has a higher range than prestidigitation.
>>
>>43769032
What kind of argument is that? A lot of creatures at or around 6CR have high damage ranged attacks or abilities or spells.

On top of that, I wasn't aware I needed to furnish you with the entire string of events, if it helps.

>it by arrowS
>get dropped because lol you have no hitpoints
>fall to ground at 0hp
>take a million falling damage
>dead without a save

better?
>>
It always makes me laugh when 3.5 spergs whine about wizard vs fighter in 5e threads. Between Concentration rules and the fighters beastly attacks (even more so with a bow) a wizard really needs to be on their toes to take out a fighter of equal level in one on one combat. If you play with feats, fighters have tons of nifty little things to play with, if you don't, their stats and saves are gigantic across the board compared to other classes. The more of these fighter/wizard debates I see, the more I want to try a fighter (as a usual wizard player).
Too bad I'm forever GM at the moment...
>>
>>43770475
OP here, this is my first character in 5th edition, I've been DMing and not playing at all for 2 and a half years now.

Fighter looks like a really solid option in this edition, and when I see these kinds of debates it makes me think that someone's just glanced at the spells section of the PHB and said "Whelp, wizards are back guys...." without actually having a grasp of the whole situation.
>>
>>43770524
Right? The group I'm running now is pretty unoptimized, but we are having fun. One of the players is a battlemaster fighter, but never uses his manuvers. He was absent for a session, gave me permission to run his character. I looked his guy over, and figured I might as well use them as a kind of passive support in the fight.
I was pretty shocked at what a difference they made. With careful tatical placement, manuvering strike saved a caster. Commanders Strike gave a distant cleric a much needed attack to put down an orc before he himself got knocked to death saves, and menacing attack (though the target made their save) still gave the fighter a much needed extra 6 damage to one attack. I couldn't believe how clutch those manuvers were, and they wern't even ones I had been warned about. Plus, with them coming back every short rest... It blew my mind that the player wasn't using these.

After that, I rexamined the class thoroughly.
>>
>>43768504
> I have a philosophy
It's a game, you latte-sipping trilby-tipper.
>>
>>43768481
>le 5e has caster supremacy lie

Us redditors, am I right? :^)
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.