[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fix Kali Ghati - the DELTA GREEN thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

File: afghn-12813.jpg (207KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
afghn-12813.jpg
207KB, 900x600px
I will be hosting it at an event on Saturday. The idea is to give people the opportunity to test out the new rules and the new War on Terror setting.

There was a Kali Ghati thread the other day, and I was wondering if anyone has played it. The story was clearly stitched together hastily and has some shortcomings.

The military setting isn't typical for the old DG, but I think that's a good thing because the old way is still around and only the focus has shifted. So that's fine. But there are other problems.

The trail of clues is very weak. Basically the players have to come up with the idea to launch a drone themselves, have to pass a bunch of rolls for it to happen and be successful, and there's a good chance the drone will fail to deliver the location of the village. So what other ways to find the village are there?

Another problem is the creature reveal during the showdown. It just isn't a very inventive design. It serves its purpose for the story, but it doesn't evoke horror because it is so referential of Cthulhu. So how can it become a true horror without giving up its function?

I liked the ideas in the other thread, but we need to elaborate.

Also, are there other problems I'm not seeing yet?

>Quickstart kit + adventure
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uen96o0fj9ytswm/Delta%20Green%20RPG%20Quickstart%20Kit.zip?dl=0

>Core rules official beta
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OogZHpifybUFvdSi9lCpttF50hkiRPGw3J-Efiax-YQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Podcast
http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/category/unspeakable/

>Shotgun scenarios + wiki
http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios
>>
I'll be playing Delta Green for the first time this weekend. I've only ever played D&D 5E, what should I expect.
>>
>>43725080
Madness and death, in that order.
>>
>>43725080
Games like CoC, DG, Dread, etc. are not about playing a powerful hero who dominates almost every situation and keeps getting better at it.

Instead it is about playing a flavorful character torn by flaws and in no way equipped to deal with what they must face. Usually it ends in their demise. The fun is in the how.
>>
File: snap-00027.png (315KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
snap-00027.png
315KB, 720x404px
>>
File: gump .gif (2MB, 716x296px) Image search: [Google]
gump .gif
2MB, 716x296px
>>
>>43725357
If only.

>>43725080
In Delta Green, and horror gaming in general, it's about making losing fun. D&D is about seeing your character get more powerful over the course of the campaign, Delta Green is about seeing your character descend, probably fucking up his team and the people he cares about along the way.

In Delta Green you make a cool character then turn to the GM and say "Now destroy him."
>>
>>43724760
>Basically the players have to come up with the idea to launch a drone themselves, have to pass a bunch of rolls for it to happen and be successful, and there's a good chance the drone will fail to deliver the location of the village.
I feel like if you let the players know they can use a drone once or twice they'll use it if they get lost. Mine would at least.

As for the chance of failure, the writers should have followed their own advice here and made it so the crucial clue wasn't dependent on a few dice rolls. At the very least make it so they fail forward. Maybe the drone shorts out and crashes but the last clear image the operator gets is of the village, that way they get the clue and have an incentive to follow it since the military base is probably gonna want them to recover any important parts of the downed drone before any potential hostiles in the village can get their hands on it.
>>
>>43729964
Well they made it pretty clear in the scenario that the Army won't spare any UAV missions for them and they have to organize and control a small model themselves.

I think I'll do exactly that, let the last image of the drone be the village. I have to get through it all in one session.

But you never know what the players feel is the way to go. They might interview villagers (different villages) or just go off into Ellis' last known direction to follow the yellow brick road. Whatever they do, it'll lead to the ambush.
>>
>>43730083
>the Army won't spare any UAV missions for them and they have to organize and control a small model themselves.
I forgot about that, it's been a while since I've looked over the scenario. Either way, if the drone goes down they or someone higher rank than them will probably want the drone's black box or whatever recovered. If the players really aren't getting it they can just follow the smoke.
>>
How about a friendly somewhere higher up in the command structure. Someone on the radio, who can pull some strings. Of course never enough - he can't solve the problems. But he could organize the UAV, and he could be relevant by making him keep the captain in check. It would make more sense than a grudging "must be CIA - take all my pokemans!" If DG has something to hold over the captain it would fit more nicely than what is there now.
>>
File: 00 Orders.png (117KB, 1240x1753px) Image search: [Google]
00 Orders.png
117KB, 1240x1753px
>>43730605
>>
I think I want to crib some notes from the Eclipse Phase book "Firewall".

Specifically, rewrite Delta Green as a transorganizational conspiracy, and skew towards science fiction type threats over ancient books and elder things.
>>
>>43731661

I think in that case you might want to look at MAJESTIC as the focus of the action. They're the ones in the old days dealing with the Greys and who save the world from the Philadelphia Experiment. For MAJESTIC, magic is a silly, archaic idea. Everything's science of a different level.

Would you want to avoid "elder things" in general though? Stuff like At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow Out of Time should be perfect fodder for more sci-fi material.
>>
>>43725080
Sounds like my group. Started this year, none of us had ever played tabletop RPG before. Started in dnd 5e, now been playing delta green. Updated rules work really well for fast games. Combat and constant rolls made dnd so slow. I found the big difference (forever dm here) is in dnd they played a power fantasy where they were heroes and I helped with that. After only four sessions of delta green they're all realising they're largely powerless and have very little they can do against the threats they face. One of them is turning super paranoid while playing, I love it.
>>
>>43735465

I think the point at which I fell in love with Call of Cthulhu was when I went from playing in a relatively high-powered DnD game, to running Tatters of the King, and the first fight the players engaged in was after several sessions and consisted of beating an old man to death in his basement with lead pipes.
>>
>>43731661
Seconding >>43733322 Whenever MJ-12 gets involved Delta Green skews more toward technothriller and straight up sci-fi than cosmic horror.
>>
>>43731318
What font did you use to make this?
>>
File: hhx7nAXLJ_g Wish You Were Here.png (3MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
hhx7nAXLJ_g Wish You Were Here.png
3MB, 1280x960px
>>43737675
TLWG Typo, same as the posters. Just not in bold.
>>
Tomorrow...
>>
Anyone have the actual module for Kali Ghati?
>>
>>43741289
>>
>>43742310
Don't know if that was a very passive-aggressive way of telling me to fuck off or just a mistake, but thanks anyway anon.
>>
File: Kali Ghati v3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kali Ghati v3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>43742401
Funnily enough, All I looked for was Kali Ghati, and that was at the bottom of my folder.

Here's the file.
>>
I'm probably gonna run Kali Ghati or Lover in the Oce at some point in the coming weeks. We've got a decent amount of advice on KG but does anyone have any advice or experience with Lover?
>>
>>43742489
Listen to the RPPR episode if you have questions. KG is as of yet unfinished, whereas Lover was converted for the kickstarter.
>>
>>43742575
I was gonna do that later today, I was just curious if anybody else has anything to say about it.
>>
>>43742953
Only looked at it, haven't played yet, but it's solid.
>>
File: THE-EYE-INSIDE.png (2MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
THE-EYE-INSIDE.png
2MB, 1500x1125px
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.