[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG Spoils/Speculation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 30

File: 1447826128216.png (514KB, 624x445px) Image search: [Google]
1447826128216.png
514KB, 624x445px
We are faced with 3 possibilities
1) <> is now the new colorless and colorless producing lands like painlands will be errated to reflect this fact.
2) <> is like half a new color and different than (1) and can only be produced by wastes/lands that specifically state they make <> which limits the lifetime of this type of mana to the Oath set.
3) <> reads as "<> can be payed with either (1) or <>", which would be a bridge between that two above possibilities but once again limits future use since you can't use <> as a symbol in a set that doesn't have a <> producing land which doesn't fit in every plane given that you need eldrazi to create Wastes.

Also, as pic shows, Wastes are a new basic land, not a new basic land type. There is no type.
>>
>>43708180
It's not without precedence, as Snow lands are Basics. Bismuth has also been used in BfZ artwork involving Eldrazi, so it would fit the artistic direction. There's also been some evidence fluffwise that the Eldrazi aren't just destroying land, but rather re-purposing it to their own ends.

In terms of what <> represents, assuming that the spoilers are real (debatable), a cost of "8<><>" seems to imply that the new symbol does not denote a single colorless mana, but rather will be treated as a sixth "color" or type of mana. Similarly, the lack of reminder text in the card spoiled alongside "Wastes" suggests that this is not a case like Phyrexian mana that denotes an alternate cost.
>>
>>43708180
>given that you need eldrazi to create Wastes.
What?
>>
>>43708480
From a story perspective.
>>
>>43708345
>a cost of "8<><>" seems to imply that the new symbol does not denote a single colorless mana, but rather will be treated as a sixth "color" or type of mana.
8<><> means 8 mana of any color (or 8 colorless) plus 2 colorless mana.
>>43708508
Explain. Wastes can exist for a number of reasons. They exist on Earth for fucks sake.
>>
>>43708180
2 is most likely. 1 is definitely not happening
>>
File: 1447877810597.jpg (252KB, 550x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447877810597.jpg
252KB, 550x300px
>>43708180
more bismuth on cards
>>
>>43708508
I'm sure they can come up with another reason for a land to produce this mana. I mean, if it's suppose to be colorless mana from the Blind Eternities or something, I don't see why they couldn't have lands on other planes that are capable of producing it (or rather, drawing from it from the Blind Eternities). Not that that's the direction they'd have to take, but I just mean there are ways they could try to justify it or make it work.
>>
>>43708345
>8<><>" seems to imply that the new symbol does not denote a single colorless mana, but rather will be treated as a sixth "color" or type of mana
Not necessarily, <> probably means it can ONLY be paid with colorless mana, so "8<><>" means 8 of any type and 2 colorless.

This turns colorless into the defacto sixth color without actually creating a new sixth color.
>>
>>43708582
>>43708609
Read the next sentence.
>>
>>43708629
Did, doesn't matter. There is no alternate cost. It's strictly colorless.
>>
>>43708582
>Explain. Wastes can exist for a number of reasons.
These Wastes are what is left after the eldrazi (Ulamog's Brood) are done eating the colored mana out of a patch of land or living being, they are not wastes by the normal definition of the word.

>>43708603
At this point this ruination and white chalk eating thing is a hallmark of the eldrazi and I think it unlikely for them to canibalize on this identity by making another sort of creature from the Eternities that turns life into Waste. Unless we get a block that's on that Blind Eternities, that would be interesting but stupid.
>>
>>43708629
Don't forget that Mythic Rares (and some normal rares) don't have to follow New World Order. I'm sure there are common and uncommon creatures/spells with <> that have reminder text.
>>
>>43708683
>Unless we get a block that's on that Blind Eternities, that would be interesting but stupid.

To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't already. You'd think it's an idea they would have hit up a long time ago.
>>
>>43708683
>these mountains are what is left after Purphoros crafted the landscape in his passion
>these swamps are the result of Grixis hordes tore up Alara
Wastes is general enough to show up anywhere. There was colorless mana before Eldrazi.
>>
>>43708345
>Similarly, the lack of reminder text in the card spoiled alongside "Wastes" suggests that this is not a case like Phyrexian mana that denotes an alternate cost.
Both of the cards we've seen that use it are mythics. Mythics, and to some extent, rares, typically do not have reminder text.
>>
>>43708754
well given that the blind eternities as they have been described to date are less a place and more an inconceivable space between spaces, it would be at least difficult to use as a setting. not to mention that, at best it is populated with bizarre beings that are even less applicable to reality than the eldrazi, any asthetic it has would be akin to deep cuts from Lovecrafts most deranged nightmares.
>>
I think they're getting more and more willing to make insular, throwaway mechanics.

These lands are probably only ever going to matter for eldrazi.
>>
>>43708683
The chalk lands are those devoured by Ulamog and his brood.
The bismuth lands are those devoured by Kozilek and his brood.
Each titan leaves their own unique stain on the land.
>>
>>43708834
I thought that Ulamog turned shit to chalk and then Kozikek comes and changes the chalk to these crystals.
>>
>>43708754
Maro doesn't like the idea and neither does creative. The only way you'd get a Blind Eternities block would be as a top-down decision and the team just isn't keen.
>>
>>43708847
It might be that. We don't know.
All I have to go on is the two Kozilek brood cards in BFZ having bismuth around them.
>>
Does Kozilek's casting effect resolve if he's countered?
>>
>>43708933
Did you cast him?
>>
>I can finally make my Kozilek deck

Woohoo. A shame it'll be shit on by Jeskai and Abzan until Spring but still, woohoo!
>>
>>43708940

Yes?
>>
>>43708588
It would solve the issue that (1) in a cost is 1 mana of any color but producing (1) is 1 mana of no color. If the latter is being Oracled to <> instead that would actually make sense.
>>
>>43708952
Then why wouldn't it?
>>
<> could be "Can be paid with two colorless mana or <>" based on Kozilek's channeler.

<> is always considered colorless mana unless otherwise mentioned.
>>
is it possible to draw into a dispel if your opponent counter your Kozilek and use that dispel on counter?
>>
>>43709055
If he responds to your draw trigger with his counterspell, which he will unless he wants to pointlessly let you have Kozilek down, then no it's not possible.
>>
>>43709055
No because the counterspell would resolve before the draw trigger.
>>
>>43709055
Google "The Stack 101", you poor kitchentable newfriend.
>>
File: Palladium.png (135KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Palladium.png
135KB, 223x311px
I'm curious to see if <> will be associated with any specific mechanical effects other than the sorts of stuff we've already seen with Eldrazi. If its the same stuff, I don't know why this couldn't have been introduced in the last set.
>>
>>43709091
Disregard this. The poster above me is correct.
>>
>>43709081
>>43709091
>>43709096
thanks guys. Sorry for being a retard
>>
>>43709103
Maybe this was going to be the 3rd set's big splash before the 2set paradigm?
>>
>>43709103
Honestly if I had to wager it was just too late to do that.

They saw the difficulty people had in realizing that cards were colourless while still needing coloured mana, so for BFZ their solution was Devoid.

In this set their solution is to change how the mana works entirely.
>>
>>43709103
With BFZ's position in the set cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been rushed or dumbed down due to lots of shifts in the design paradigm.
>>
File: 1400830684358.jpg (23KB, 177x177px) Image search: [Google]
1400830684358.jpg
23KB, 177x177px
>>43709159
Why would they save something as huge and pivotal as "eldrazi mana" for the 3rd set of the block? That would be like having the big "enchantments matter" mechanic at the end of the enchantments blo..... Oh wait.
>>
>>43709380
Fucking Starfield of Nyx. it comes out when the fucking enchantments are dying out.
>>
>>43708180
I still wandering how the rules will update, so that Wastes is not simply a blank card.
>>
>>43708590
Ash grey bismuth is what happens to matter after it gets sucked of its mana by eldrazi.
>>
>>43709555
Most likely option is that "T: add (1) yo your mana pool" gets replaced with "T: add â—‡ to your mana pool" and â—‡ in a cost means specifically colorless mana.
>>
107.4c is rewritten or removed and/or a new letter for the new symbol is added to 107.4. that is literally all they need to change in the rules.

the errata for cards though, will be a very long list
>>
Why does anything have to change?
Why can't they just make spells or abilities that has "can only be payed with colorless mana"?
Nothing changes, but colorless basic lands becomes relevant.
>>
>>43708873
There's more than two Kozilek-brood cards.
Herald of Kozilek, Kozilek's Channeler, Kozilek's Sentinel, and Skitterskin all have BISMUTH, as does Omnath, Locus of Rage.
>>
I hope this set lets my play Grixis Eldrazi. I have all the lands I need for it, just show me the cards.
>>
Based on what we know about the new Wastes (and omitting what we don't know about the cards which require <> mana), is there any conceivable way that Wastes benefits existing decks and archetypes? We usually try to avoid basic lands where we can, and this one seems strictly worse than basics which produce colored mana.

The only reason to run it seems to be those cards which have <> in the cost, and colorless EDH decks.
>>
>>43709684
Yes but I am not aware that lands have the ability to tap for mana unless they have a land type or a sentence printed on them that allows them to do so.

Wastes currently has neither.
>>
>>43709380
you mean second set of the block, we are now in two block sets not three.
>>
>>43709856
Remember back before the change to black borders, when basic lands had a sentence saying what they did rather than a symbol?

It might be that the normal Wastes card is like that, saying "T: Add <> to your mana pool" and it's just the full art one that omits text.
>>
>>43709869
Read the reply chain you mouthbreather.
>>
>>43709777
Because by doing that you can quantify shit. If Kozi was 10 cmc and had "can only be payed with colorless mana" that means all of it would have to colorless which would make it pretty much impossible to cast and writting "Out of the 10 mana needed to cast Kozi, the Butt Pirate 2 must be colorless" is retarded.
>>
>>43709893
Fuck off retard
>>
>{T}: Add [1] to your mana pool.
>{R/U}, {T}: Add [3] to your mana pool.
>>
>>43708603
>I'm sure they can come up with another reason for a land to produce this mana.
Whatever powerful planeswalker learn to over-consume things to produce more mana. Maybe to fight eldrazi for maximum tragedy and hubris. He must be stopped to preserve [plane]!

We're probably going to have a few eldrazi set anyway.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6041454
Come one come all, lets vote on what we think the new mana symbol means.
>>
>>43709856
Until, y'know, the set comes out and it's errata'd into the rules just like double-faced cards were.
>>
I forget, is this new Zendikar block going to just be two sets, or is it the last three set block?
>>
>>43709953
Really? That's how you respond when someone points out your mistake?
>>
>>43710147
The last 3-set block was Tarkir.

This is the first of the 2-set blocks. Although I think effectively the story is going to cover 4 sets because Shadows Over Innistrad is the immediate follow-up and that's pretty obviously still going to involve Eldrazi.
>>
>>43709967
Have you considered not being a knuckle dragging retard? We get 2 sets per block, not 3
>>
>>43710172
>This is the first of the 2-set blocks

LORWYN

AND

SHADOWMOOR
>>
>>43709883
It is better then I though they only need to update rule 305.6 to make this work.
>>
>>43710168
Fuck off retard
>>
>>43710203
No you dumbass pedant, I'm obviously talking about the new 2-set block paradigm in which every block from now on is going to be 2.
>>
>>43708180
As a note:
If A is true, and 'T: Add â—Š to your mana pool' is how they're doing 'T: Add 1 to your mana pool' from now on, then this is not the first time they've done a massive errata. Nor the second, or the third.
Mono artifacts, poly artifacts, and continuous artifacts all became just plain artifacts.
Summons became creatures.
Creature - Legends became Legendary Creatures.
Walls lost their rules text in the creature type and gained Defender
Enchant Creatures became Enchantment - Auras with Enchant Creature.
'comes into play' became 'enters the battlefield'
'is put into the graveyard from play' became 'is put into the graveyard from the battlefield' became 'dies'
'choose one - x, y, or z' became
'choose one -
•x
•y
•z'
>>
>>43710172
>Shadows Over Innistrad is the immediate follow-up and that's pretty obviously still going to involve Eldrazi.

It is? Sorry if I seem out of the loop, but without having any money to be able to afford Magic cards I've kinda fallen out of touch with things. I knew the next block was returning to Innistrad but I didn't know it was going to feature the Eldrazi.

So, do we know why BFZ was focused on Ulamog, and this next set seems like it's focusing on Kozilek? Presumably Shadows Over Innistrad will focus on Emrakul and then set #2 of New Innistrad will be... Either all three titans, or perhaps whatever unfathomable beast that spawned all three of them?
>>
>>43710230
Oh, so those 2 set blocks that sold like shit don't count anymore, because they're not NEW 2 set blocks, therefore because they're not new 2 set blocks, they're not 2 set blocks at all.

Isn't Shadowmoor like the worst performing block/set of all time?
>>
File: sigarda.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
sigarda.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>43710245
Set #2 might be about how Innistrad has the perfect hero to combat the Eldrazi.
>>
>>43710236
The recent keywording of menace was a fairly big errata, that also very slightly changed the functionality of a few cards.
>>
>>43710252
>Isn't Shadowmoor like the worst performing block/set of all time?
Nothing compares to pit of warm garbage that was Homelands.
>>
>>43710267
Yeah she stops Ulamog exiling your library. Nice find.
>>
>>43710172
>that's pretty obviously still going to involve Eldrazi
Is it? I don't think that's a given at all.
>>
>>43710312
What is theros for 200
>>
>>43710335
Admittedly I was thinking about Annihilator. I forgot they got rid of it for the nu eldrazi
>>
>>43710354
I'm pretty sure Theros sold better than Homelands.
>>
File: 1440233072675.jpg (68KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1440233072675.jpg
68KB, 500x348px
>>43710354
Theros is garbage but was a relative success. Enough for Maro to consider it as an exemple for future mythology-inspired blocs (hi kamigawa).
>>
>>43710354
Theros sold decently because Thoughtseize and it followed Return to Everyone's Favourite Plane.
>>
>>43710252
It wasn't Shadowmoor so much as Lorwyn, Morningtide, and Eventide. Shadowmoor itself was the good one in the block, apparently, and the model itself wasn't bad - just the sets themselves.
>>
So if I have this right, <> can be used as <> as well as (X)?
>>
>>43710451
Probably. But no one knows for sure yet.
>>
>>43710252
What the fuck are you talking about? Where does product sold even figure into this? An anon asked if BFZ was the last 3-set block or the first of the new 2-set blocks. That's what I responded to. You're being a pedantic little bitch and creating some kind of argument where there is none. Take a chill pill faggot.
>>
>>43710175
Initial design for BFZ started well before the new block paradigm was announced. There is a possibility that BFZ was originally laid out as a 3-set block before being switched. That's what they're talking about in the reply chain. The diamond mana symbol may have been planned for the third set before the third set was dropped.
>>
>>43710546
>Where does product sold even figure into this?

Well the last time 2 set blocks were around, Magic took a nosedive in sales.
>>
>>43710451
Or â—Š is just the new way of 'add 1 to your mana pool'
>>
>>43710347
>Shadow Over Innsmouth
>Cashing in on pop culture crossover from Bloodborne
>Immediate follow-up to a block in which we saw only 2 of the 3 Eldrazi titans
>Shadow Over Innsmouth

Dude. If there are no Eldrazi in that block I will tear up my Lili's and Snapcasters into tiny little pieces of paper.
>>
>>43708180

>the only people who think this is the new face of "colorless" mana are the people desperate for their painlands to go up in value

Let it go, pain lands will never be good.
>>
>>43710572
Correlation does not equal causation.

Lorwyn did bad because it was fucking Lorwyn, not because it was a 2-set block. Players care ten thousand times more about the setting and the mechanics than they do about block structure.
>>
>>43710592
I doubt it has anything to do with Bloodborne - they work two years in advance, after all.
>>43710572
Lorwyn's failure was due to its setting and complexity, not its block structure. The block structure was one of the things that went RIGHT with it.
>>
>>43710619
I don't think painlands are necessarily going to go up in value very much just because of a few Eldrazi cards that require explicitly colorless mana, but it does make sense that Wizards would make them no longer strictly worse than dual-lands by giving them a fringe deck to be playable in.

That's not the main reason we think this is the new colorless mana, though.
>>
Does anyone else think it's weird that the eldrazi are considered this big multi-planar menace to be stopped? If they come from the blind eternities, shouldn't they be a natural part of the multiverse and also be too numerous to do anything about?
>>
>All this theorizing over the mana type

Why is it so hard to believe it's just a new mana type that has no color?
>>
>>43710635
>Correlation does not equal causation.
Pattern recognition is a sign of intelligence. And standard rotating faster than ever due to the new structure just means investing in a deck is even more of a risk than before. And I mean come the fuck on, standard decks are cracking $1000.
>>
>>43710592
>>43710666
>I doubt it has anything to do with Bloodborne - they work two years in advance, after all.

They make the card effects two years in advance, they request the art and make the flavor of such cards only a few months before release.

They pretty much are trying to cash on the Bloodborne audience, and probably soon on the Jurassic Park audience.
>>
>>43710592

You don't even have any Lils or Snaps, I'd wager.

At any rate, the "evidence" you posted is based completely on speculation and is laughable at best. Cash in on the "bloodborne" money? You do know that game floppedl commercially, right? 1.5 mil is all, which isn't even in the top 25 games on the PS4. You might as well assume they're going to introduce call of duty soldiers playing soccer using that logic.
>>
>>43710674
The probably are, and what we see in Zendikar might just be the metaphorical tip of the iceberg. But them being natural doesn't mean people are chill with them- earthquakes are natural too but if we could stop them from happening by stabbing something in the face you know we would.
>>
>>43710635
Fuck you I loved Lorwyn. I only hope we never go back becauase it will be shit like DTK and BFZ.
>>
Have we considered that WotC leaked this intentionally, to see if we could figure out what <> means without the rules for it?

So that WotC could see how much product space they need to spend explaining it, and how much people will just figure it out correctly.
>>
>>43710764

WotC wouldn't be that forward-thinking or in-touch with the magic community.
>>
>>43710706
Return to Theros is just an obvious attempt to cash in on Rocket League's popularity.
>>
>>43710764
They plan out sets like 2 years in advance. theres no way
>>
>>43710764
HAAAAAAAAAAAH

No
>>
>>43710764
They're too close to the roll out date for the next expansion for any data from a leak to be useful. Modern WotC's production is so massive, everything they do has to be years in advance.
>>
>>43710693
>standard decks are cracking $1000.
I don't think this will be the norm, though. Decks play 10+ fetches that are 25 USD apiece- when was the last time in-standard lands were so expensive? Jace being >50 is a pretty extreme case as well- when was his last competitor? Liliana of the Veil at 40?
>>
>>43708180

Wizzerds won't errata old cards for the sake of new mechanics.

I'm not sure why they would do Option 3 because that's not how Snow worked and I don't trust Wizzerds to have learned from their biggest mistakes.

Option 2 is almost definitely what Wizzerds would do. It's a terrible idea, but Wizzerds isn't new to terrible ideas.

There's also Option 4, which is that "â—Š" indicates that there's some alternate cost one can pay, like "sacrifice a permanent" or "discard a card."

Then there's Option 5, which is that the spoilers aren't real.
>>
>>43710828
Thundermaw Hellkite hit $60.
>>
>>43710725
My completely out-there guess is that eldrazi are suppose to be scavengers that eat dying/dead planes, but the titans (with their lineage) are mutants with the ability to "bleach" mana.

So typically, a plane starts decaying and the land loses its color, which would attract eldrazi to feed on it. But the titans can induce the bleaching themselves, thus making them feed out of control.
>>
>>43710764
No, that is retarded.
When the set is released new mechanics will also be explained. There is nothing more to it and I can't see why there would be.

>oh looks like some guy on 4chan figured out what <> meant, let's not explain any new keywords lol
Is this how you imagine WotC works?
>>
>>43710572

>Well the last time 2 set blocks were around, Magic took a nosedive in sales.

That's because Lorwyn was the hideous face of what Standard (and modern) would be.

Stupidly powerful creatures, little inter-block synergy, planeswalkers, mostly awful sorcs and instants.
>>
>>43710909
>Stupidly powerful creatures
>little inter-block synergy
>planeswalkers
>awful sorcs and instants

Truly, Lorwyn was ahead of its time.
>>
>>43710673

Painlands (and any other non-dual-type or nonbasic lands) will always be worse than duals.

That doesn't mean they're bad, but it definitely means that retconning the rules like that won't mean anything for eternal players. Or even for Modern players. Or Standard players.

And again, Wizzerds doesn't use errata to make old cards newly useful. Otherwise any number of instants and sorceries like Goblin Grenade would be Tribal now.
>>
>>43710852
For what, two, maybe three weeks? I'm counting cards that are staples their entire time in-format.
>>
>>43710764

I doubt that's the reason but I could see them leaking this just to build hype. The cards leaked are just inscrutable enough to foster a lot of discussion and raise awareness for the next set. Basically free advertising.
>>
>>43710590
We're thinking that <> is 'spend only colorless mana to pay for <>'
>>
>>43710840
see
>>43710236
>>
>>43710883
Also, if natural eldrazi are only attracted to colorless mana, then Kozilek's mutation must be less severe than Ulamog's since he's attracted to (summoned with) colorless mana.

Maybe taking out just Ulamog would be enough to make the others fuck off since he seems to be the one tasked with sucking the color out of stuff.
>>
>>43710883
The lineages ARE the titans, though. We've only seen three Eldrazi (and Ulamog apparently had Eldrazi Cancer)
That said, them eating dead/dying planes has been suggested before - even with it just being the three and with their abilities as-is. Don't forget that they didn't come to Zendikar by their own choice. They were lured there intentionally in order to seal them.
>>
>>43711094
See
>>43709953
>>
>>43710909
>Cryptic Command
>>
>>43711094

None of those impacts how the cards work.

If that poster had said, "tapping lands and combat damage don't use the stack," I'd have found the argument marginally convincing, but even in those instances, Wizzerds didn't make the changes in ways that would boost the effectiveness of old cards.
>>
>>43711128
They're gonna get rid of ulamog and leave the plane or otherwise leave kozile because colorless. Kozilek is going to absorb colorless mana and end up being corrupt by phyrexia for a return.

I just want mirrodin pure .
>>
>>43711149

Nearly unplayable in the eternal formats.
>>
>>43710236
Not to mention when they decided to go back and add creature types to old retarded shit like most of the Legends set.
>>
>>43710267
God I fucking hate that bitch
>>
>>43711149
Wow, you named one but he said >mostly

Ill give you another one, thoughtsieze.

Wow two cards out of four sets.
>>
>>43710280
It's not an errata, they literally just turned the phrase into a keyword you fucking idiot
>>
>>43710592
>Wanting more eldrazi
Why? They ruined the first zendikar block, they're ruining this block and now you want them to ruin Innistrad?
>>
>>43711214

Yeah, that, Ponder, and Manamorphose are the only really good ones. Rest of the set's inst/sorc load was pretty abysmal, and not a lot has changed.
>>
>>43711128
Mutation?
>>
>>43708180
You left out the 4th, most likely option:

Shit's fake brah.
>>
>>43710909
>>43710954
>Ponder
>Thoughsieze
>Scapeshift (A Modern Deck)
>Cryptic Command
>Tarfire (Tarmogoyf Shock before bolt reprint)

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor can boast 4 Modern decks that are centered around their cards. The creatures are reliant on synergies and are not as oppressive individually as Siege Rhino.
>>
>>43711358

Only one of those cards is the centerpiece of a deck in Modern, and none of those cards is the centerpiece of a deck in the eternal formats.

Also, Gaddock Teeg's pretty oppressive.
>>
>>43710706
>You don't even have any Lils or Snaps, I'd wager.
3 and 3 son, I was one of the pioneers of neo Solar Flare as soon as the full first Innistrad spoiler dropped.

>At any rate, the "evidence" you posted is based completely on speculation and is laughable at best. Cash in on the "bloodborne" money? You do know that game floppedl commercially, right? 1.5 mil is all, which isn't even in the top 25 games on the PS4. You might as well assume they're going to introduce call of duty soldiers playing soccer using that logic.
Yeah alright that one's a stretch, but the Lovecraft wordplay is not, and the timing is not. Anyone who thinks there won't be Eldrazi in SOI is an idiot. Probably the same idiots who actually thought Scars block was somehow going to end with Mirrodin Pure when we had overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>43711418
Elves, Faeries, Merfolk and Scapeshift are heavily reliant and only exist because of cards from Lorwyn and Shadowmoor.
>>
I like to think each Block has a 'flair' set. You know, the stuff that stands out from previous magic sets, based on power, mechanics, flavor, you name it.

Oath of the gate watch is the 'flair' set. Khans of Tarkir was the flashiest of its block. Theros had... thoughtsieze.
>>
>>43708933
Casting is the process of putting the card from your hand, to the stack and assigning mana. You, oddly, successfully cast it.
>>
>>43710840
>Wizzerds won't errata old cards for the sake of new mechanics.
It's not a new mechanic. Colorless mana and generic mana are already separate in the rules, they just didn't have separate symbols because colorless mana has never been required in a mana cost before.

>Then there's Option 5, which is that the spoilers aren't real.
Why is the internet so bad at telling apart real leaks from fake? These are so obviously real, the chances of them being faked at this point are like infinitesimally small.
>>
>>43711418
Modern is an eternal format.
It doesn't rotate, thus it's an eternal format.
>>
>>43711239
I never meant that I necessarily wanted them or not, just that the likelihood of them being in the block is so fucking absolute that if I'm wrong I'll tear up my expensive cards.
>>
>>43711311
Literally retarded.
>>
>>43711560
I can't tell if this is bait or if you really don't known what eternal means.
>>
>>43708767
In this case, wastes have no colour identity anymore, unlike your mountains and swamps.
What exactly this means for a land that produces colourless is anyone's guess until we get rules/set confirmation.
>>
>>43711610
I've read the art argument, and it's bullshit. Frankly I think it's more likely that the art was leaked, and they made up these bullshit cards around them.

Not even WotC is retarded enough to release this <shit>
>>
>>43711631
Lands don't have color identities.
>>
>>43711493

If you're referring to Modern and Modern alone, that's fair. Not really what I was saying, but that's still correct. My point was that, of Ponder, Thoughtseize, Scapeshift, Cryptic Command, and Tarfire, only one of those cards was the centerpiece of a deck, and only two of them are close to essential in any other decks in any other formats. The decks you mentioned (except for Scapeshift) all rely on the ridiculous creatures I mentioned in my earlier post (>>43710909).
>>
>>43711685
It's already been confirmed as real. Stop being retarded and go die now
>>
File: 1445972502685.png (74KB, 171x278px) Image search: [Google]
1445972502685.png
74KB, 171x278px
>>43711685
>Not even WotC is retarded enough to release this <shit>
>>
>>43711613
>Eternal
>As in "forever"
>As in "the cards in the format will be there forever"
Do YOU know what eternal means?
>>
>>43711695
But that's wrong.
>>
>>43711731
Yeap you are baiting. Here's a hint, eternal does not mean non-rotating.
>>
>>43711695
Lands don't have colors.
They do have color identities.
Color identities only matter for Commander.
>>
>>43711718
I haven't seen it on wizards, so all we have is mtgsalvation moderating staff's word that the source is reliable.
>>
>>43711764
What's it like down there with your head stuck in the sand?
>>
>>43711731

The definition of "eternal" and the definition of "an eternal format" are different. The name never made sense; I know that.

There's a distinction made between "eternal" and "non-rotating." There are three eternal formats, four non-rotating formats, and two non-rotating non-eternal formats.
>>
>>43711764
And their sources have repeatedly been fantastic since time spiral.
>>
>>43710954
I'll grant you 1, 3 and 4 but Standard is so expensive right now because the lands at least have too much inter-block synergy, not too little.
>>
>>43709779
My bad. I forgot.
>>
>>43711750
Shit my bad.
>>
>>43710909
Hrmm or perhaps it was because it came out during a fucking recession?
>>
>>43711869

The biggest problem with Standard is that it's always going to be too expensive. It may be more expensive now than it has been in some time, but the problem remains that the entire community goes bananas over Voice of Resurgence, drives the price up to almost a hundred dollars, and then the card becomes useless and loses 70% of its value.

Synergy isn't the problem with Standard; the problem with Standard is that the economics of the format make no sense once you've played for three blocks and thus can afford to play any other format.
>>
>>43711851
>>43711791
It's all a conspiracy I say. WotC leaked accurate shit since timespiral to convince us of a sixth color now.

Wake up sheeple.
>>
>>43711908

Nah, I think it was just that the sets were terrible.
>Kithkin, Treefolk, Elementals, and Giants as tribes
>Introduce two new card types because reasons
>Bad instants and sorceries
>Pushed creatures
>Awful flavor
>>
>>43711941
You're never going to build a tournament-quality deck for less than $100, but the fact that every deck runs 10-12 fetches and at least 4 duals is the difference between a $400-500 Standard and a $800-$1000 Standard.
>>
>>43711685
Yeah you're right, totally fake, just like all those New Phyrexian cards that leaked early were total fakes.

Oh wait.
>>
The odds of <> being only colorless mana are low judging by the fact that lands produce <>. If it were just colorless, those lands would just tap for 1.
>>
>>43711994
>Kithkin, Treefolk, Elementals, and Giants as tribes
Maybe they didn't just want to have Humans, Merfolk, Zombies, Goblins and Elves?

>Introduce two new card types because reasons
I've heard Planeswalkers were meant to appear in the block prior, but didn't get sorted out until Lorwyn.

As for Tribal spells, it was a decent way to have the Tribal interactions extend further than just creatures. Doesn't everyone always complain that Magic is too focused on creatures?

>Bad instants and sorceries
There were some good ones as well. Part of that might be because they were using Evoke and Elementals to make creatures that could double as spells.

>Pushed creatures
There were quite a few standouts in that area, though people will complain about power level either way. The biggest problem was Faeries, really.

>Awful flavor
Yeah, I much prefer generic fantasy plane #11.
>>
>>43712177
see
>>43708973
>>
>>43712220
I don't think that's the case, but it's possible I guess.
>>
File: 83.jpg (77KB, 312x445px)
83.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
Changing {1} to {D} has the the consequence of making this card work strangely.

This is one of the cases where generic has to = colorless for it to work intuitively.
>>
I am gonna go with the
> spend only colorless mana to pay for <>
theory
>>
>>43712436
How? Let's say Elemental Resonance enchants a bear which costs 1G. Then you will add one green and one generic (not colorless!) mana to your mana pool. Because the {1} in mana costs is generic mana, not colorless mana. You will only be able to pay generic mana costs with the generic mana, not colorless mana costs.
>>
>>43712544
Seconded.

It's just like Snow Mana. Nothing new.
>>
>>43711220
Look at every single other card that has the words "can't be blocked except by two or more creatures". It's oracle has been changed to menace. Its the same deal with {1} --> <>, just a change in symbol
>>
>>43712584
It already adds 1 colorless and 1 green, read the fucking oracle rulings.
>>
>>43712587
Except it's nothing like snow mana
>>
With the new mana symbol, colorless devotion?
>>
>>43712678
Other than in every single way? Yeah, I guess you're on to something.
>>
>>43712587
It's literally nothing like snow mana. If it's just "<> can only be paid with colourless mana" then that means not just mana produced from a Wastes. Any other colourless producing land such as Stensia Bloodhall or Urza's Tower would work too.
>>
>>43712678
>{S} can only be paid with (mana from snow sources)
>{D} can only be paid with (colorless mana)
>>
>>43712788
It was pointed out on mtgsalvation that the code for the chaos symbol was recently changed from {C} to {CHAOS}.
>>
>>43712712
Right, I forgot the part where Coldsnap errata'd hundreds of previously printed lands to be Snow lands and came closer than ever to making a 6th color. Yeah it's exactly the same.
>>
>>43712788
>>{S} can only be paid with (mana from snow sources)
>>{D} can only be paid with (colorless mana)
Not, {D} can only be paid with (mana from colorless sources)
>>
>>43712177
>Fear
>Vigilance
>Removing "T: add X to your mana pool" from basics
>Updating the legend rule
>Updating it again
>Changing damage stacking
>changing it back
>Updating creature types with shitloads of errata
>Double faced cards
>colored artifacts
>neo slivers
>Planeswalkers

Yeah man, Wizards always sticks to their historical canon and never retcons the way mechanics work.
>>
>>43712819
See >>43712788 and then try to stop being retarded when you get a chance.

>>43712805
{C}, {D}, same difference. It gets the point across.
>>
This definitely isn't worse than snow mana. I'll give it that.
>>
>>43712854
See >>43712822
>>
>>43712870
No one here is arguing for that. All lands are colorless.
>>
>>43712773
so literally like snow mana? snow mana wasn't limited to snow lands, it was all mana produced by snow permanents, see Rime Dryad
>>
>>43712901
He thinks the people saying Snow Mana are actually saying >>43712822

He's also clinically retarded.
>>
>>43712854
>doesn't address any of the points I made
>does call me a retard
Damn, you sure showed me.
>>
>>43712864

It's much, MUCH worse than Snow Mana.
>>
>>43708180
It's entirely possible they only used the "8<><>" format because Kozilek's new name is too long to fit ten diamond mana in the title bar. I mean, Khalni Hydra has eight green mana in its cost, but only because the name of the creature is short enough to fit it all in there.

<> mana is probably just going to be the new colorless mana symbol and it was only shortened for Kozilek due to space restrictions. Giving colorless a new basic land is a heavy indicator that it will see print in future sets.

It feels like it's just going to be the new colorless
>>
>>43709779
And that one common merfolk is holding a chunk.
>>
>>43712936
>make no points
>they don't get address
>cry online
Okay.

The problem is you have no idea what's being discussed. I don't know if it's because you can't grasp basic concepts or if you just can't follow a conversation. Nothing even needs to be errated, so no clue why you're throwing a bitchfit over that.

The only reasonable outcome is that they are very close to Snow Lands. Again, read >>43712788. Maybe it'll click this time.
>>
>>43712850
There is LITERALLY 0% chance that Wizards will errata all (1) mana costs and producers to the <> symbol. The amount of backtracking between that and anything you just listed is preposterous.
>>
>>43708754
Every time a Planeswalker traverses the Blind Eternities it's described as a hellish, awful experience. I'm not convinced that it's a setting you can just go to, especially considering it's the entire space between planes.
>>
>>43712972

Yet more proof that people just don't currently understand the difference between colorless mana and generic mana.

Here's a hint, (10), (8)<><>, and <><><><><><><><><><> are all very different casting costs.
>>
>>43712972
Congratulations anon, this is easily the most retarded theory I've seen. I had a chuckle.
>>
>>43712619
The oracle rulings say "If the enchanted permanent's mana cost is {2}{W}{U}, this Aura's controller adds {2}{W}{U} ..." so it adds {1}. I can't find the word "colorless" there, only the { }. Until now it was not neccessary to differentiate between colorless and generic mana in such a case, this will probably change.
>>
>>43711731
>As in "forever"
>As in "the cards in the format will be there forever"

ever heard of TREASURE CRUISE and DTT? Forever =/= 1 year
>>
>>43713019
except it's not backtracking because <> wouldn't be functionally different than (1), it's literally just a different way to write

>what is Fear
>What is Vigilance
>What is Defender
>What is Intimidate
>What is Menace
>>
>>43713019

It's not even really an errata, just a rules text update that would be reflected on any reprints. producing (1) would just be read as producing <>, rules wise they're literally the same. It's about as impactful to old cards as changing the old tap symbol into the new tap symbol, but the distinction would allow them to print new cards like this Kozilek.
>>
>>43712822
>lands are colorless anyway

ayylmao
>>
>>43713019
Costs not, that's true, because the costs are generic mana.
Producers maybe or maybe not, depending on how lazy they are; I believe they will errate it.

>>43713071
The set is still in the (eternal) formats, banning of individual cards doesn't change that. But his post was faulty, yes.
>>
>>43712936
well he called it right
>>
>>43712615
Thran dynamo now produces <><><>

How ugly.
>>
>>43713172
>mfw the true eternal format is casual
>>
>>43713015
There's nothing to click. {D} and {S} act entirely differently.
{S} checks the source for snow type
{D} does not check the source for colorless
Snow mana can have color.
Colorless cannot.

Functionally, they're not even close. Just because a new basic land type is introduced doesn't mean it's the same shit.

>>43713169
>lands are the only mana source
ayy
>>
It's just gonna be blighted mana, guys. It's gonna be Snow Mana 2, electric boogaloo.
>>
>>43713238
yup that sounds pretty retarded

I'm pretty sure <> is fake OR means "spend only colorless mana (AS A COST) and (AS A SOURCE) can only be used for colorless spells/costs with <>" which means it could be printed on an dork or something.

Super unlikely to get out of this block unless eldrazi shenanigans are involved, if it was ever real in the first place.
>>
>>43713271
Now I can't tell if you're being intentionally retarded or not.
>>
>>43713071
Then no format is eternal because cards get banned in legacy and vintage too
>>
File: 1446445230750.jpg (40KB, 419x610px) Image search: [Google]
1446445230750.jpg
40KB, 419x610px
>>43713271
I'll take what are dorks and mana rocks for 500 please.
>>
>>43713271
>still hasn't read >>43712788 after being linked it twice
Are you just pretending?
>>
>>43713334
>I have no argument
>>
Daily reminder that Kozilek himself leaked the cards to watch us turn against each other.
>>
>>43713348
Wizards never really knew how to get their shit together senpai
>>
>>43713048
Nobody but wizards understands the difference between colorless mana and generic mana anon. There have been no official rulings on how it works. This is all just speculation.

The huge problem with the "you may only spend generic mana to pay this cost theory" is that cards have been spoiled that can produce these symbols. If the <> symbol was just a cost modifier (like phyrexian mana), then there wouldn't be cards that can actually produce <>. There wouldn't need to be.

Sure, they could just errata hundreds of cards and use a really ugly template (seriously, <><><> repeated over and over again? the current generic mana template is better looking because it saves space) Or they could just be printing a set unique mechanic.

Also, does nobody find it odd that they printed kozilek's channeler in the last set and it can't produce <>?

If they knew they were just gonna errata it a set later, why bother?
>>
>>43713374
>still better than being literally retarded
>>
>>43713391
It's more or less one retard at this point. Everyone else has it figured out.
>>
>>43713421
Stop replying. He just wants more (You)s.
>>
>>43713371
Yes, I have. By that logic it's no different than any colored mana. Still not even close to snow.
>>>43712788
>>{S} can only be paid with (mana from snow sources)
>>{D} can only be paid with (colorless mana)
>{W} can only be paid with (white mana)
>{U} can only be paid with (blue mana)
>{B} can only be paid with (black mana)
>{R} can only be paid with (red mana)
>{G} can only be paid with (green mana)

>inb4 you just don't get it
learn to elaborate, stop relinking the same retarded post.
>>
File: 1372215566443.jpg (217KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1372215566443.jpg
217KB, 900x900px
I cant really articulate how I feel about this.

>BfZ
>no idea where to go, lets revisit eldrazi
>no Annihilator, hurts new players feelings
>parasitic, underpowered mechanics
>horrible standard season
>Moneygrab expeditions
>now "Exciting new mana, guess what its true colorless!"
>discontinuation of Core set
>release of Magic Duels: Origins
>changing to 2 set cycles
>EDH monetization and pandering
>NWO

I just feel like... I dont know. Are they losing their touch? Am I being left behind while they target a new demographic? Why do I feel like I'm losing interest in the new direction Wizards is going? Why do I wish it was 2009 again? Am I a faggot or is my stomach trying to tell me something? Its all just so... underwhelming.
>>
>>43713449
Holy shit, he's starting to get it now! There's hope left.
>>
>>43712948
Snow mana makes snow lands strictly better than non-snow lands. That's a huge no-no.
>>
>>43713454
>doesn't see why the new design age shines

I laugh at you while I bathe in the connection between story and gameplay mechanics. BFZ is absolutely amazing when it comes to emulating story just with the mechanics in the set.
>>
>>43713454
I feel you buddy, gone are the days of RTR-INN

>mfw drownyard/mill was a viable deck
>mfw restoration angel/thragtusk best thing ever
>mfw hellrider came out and it became the best thing ever
>mfw i have no face
>>
>>43713449
There's nothing to elaborate. You got it correct there.

Why are you arguing what you're agreeing to?
>>
>>43713498
>BFZ
>Flavor

Uh, you spelled kamigawa wrong faggot. Hell even mirrodin has better flavor/mechanics interation than this pile of shit you call a set.
>>
>>43713514
>gone are the days of RTR-INN
RTR was fucking terrible and INN had exactly one good set.

Say TSP/RAV next time.
>>
>>43713454
Son, you are getting older, too. Do you still remember that one time when you told your old dad (shouting, no less) that you would never become like him and that he should shut up and that he didn't understand you and that old people are stupid? I'm still waiting for an apology for that, by the way. Please visit me in the retirement home. Bring something to eat, the food here is horrible.
>>
>>43713542
I drafted Kamigawa block two weeks ago with paper cards and while it got me very nostalgic, the gameplay mechanics do not come very close to the flavor of the set. The conflict between the two factions isn't as good reflected in the cards as it is in BFZ.
I still want to go back to Kamigawa, though. I feel that this time they wouldn't fuck it up that much. Also, I don't want Tamiyo to be homeless.
>>
>>43713454
Magic has been dead for me for years.

I can only get my kicks modding DotP 2014.
>>
>>43713545
Kek.
[Spoiler] I didn't know magic existed until 2009 [/Spoiler]
>>
>>43713542
>>43713498
Kamigawa
Lorwyn
Mirrodin
Ravinca

GOAT flavor wise, this is not debatable.

And before one of you faggots says I started in mirrodin you're fairly close actually, I started in Apocalypse
>>
>>43713454
How many "made for EDH" cards has wotc printed now that were subsequently banned in EDH?
>>
>>43713498
I laugh at you for actually caring about that retarded shit
>>
>>43713608
I didn't know this was a thing. What kind of mods can you do?
>>
>>43713623
>no Time Spiral
So close to perfect taste.
>>
>>43713391
I just noticed the fucking rock halo on that guy.

Guys....
Guysss....

Kosi is using the land itself to fuck with people. He's going to literally turn Zendikar against itself.
>>
>>43713454
This is the Two-Block Paradigm, anon. Large sets are essentially the new Core that introduce a theme and the mechanics to go with it, small set expands on the theme of the first set with a new concept. BFZ is the shittiest because it was halfway through development before being split in half.
>>
>>43713663
It's up there. I unfortunately didn't get to experience the lore as much because I had taken a break, and I hadn't experienced as much dominaria as I should have (starting at the tail end of it). As a love letter to dominaria, I can see it's appeal.
>>
>>43713623
I started with Invasion. The sets you mentioned are great for flavor but my point was that the flavor itself wasn't reflected much in gameplay. For years WotC has created new sets with new cards with settings on new worlds. Only very rarely will the sets actually PLAY as if there was a real connection between what is going on in the world. Most of the time it's just two sides: One is mechanics on cards, the other one is the world and the story. There was barely any connection between them. They are now changing that.
>>
File: blink.jpg (270KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
blink.jpg
270KB, 1680x1050px
>>43713653
Any card that the game can handle. A group of modders are working on the entire card catalog.

You could also make up your own cards and add them in, if you know how they should be worded.

There's an external program to make your own decks. I like it more than Cockatice since there's a rules engine to back it up (just be sure the cards are properly coded)
>>
>>43713519
I'm arguing that it's nothing like snow mana, like >>43712587 purported
>>
>>43713734
But you just proved it's very similar. So, good job I guess.
>>
>>43713600

All you have to do is look at Rend Spirit/Rend Flesh. I really don't think BFZ is still better in that respect than Kamigawa. BFZ just feels so half-assed. All you have are these generic shit rares that are just made to be bombs in draft and are extremely narrow. (That plated piece of shit that cost something like 3GGG) At least they set up the environment in Kamigawa.

I really don't want to take my nostalgia goggles off.
>>
>>43713727
Is it just against AIs though?
>>
>>43710267
There's also Tajuru Preserver.
>>
>>43713763
Cute, but no, it's entirely dissimilar.
>>
>>43713770
Then you had soulshift, which was a great way of encapsulating the eternal nature of the spirits.

The only real flavor failure in Kamigawa was Splice. And it was also a mechanical failure. Seriously, why no "Splice onto X" instead of a parasitic keyword?
>>
>>43713776
If you and a friend have the SAME EXACT MOD FILES (caps because if even one file is slightly different, it doesn't work), you can play multiplayer.

There is a Community WAD and Community Decks to go with it to ease people syncing, but I enjoy deckbuilding too much to use someone else's decks.

Check out http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=109
>>
>>43713819
As much as I want splice to be better, I feel like "splice onto x" has the potential to be really really broken.
>>
File: Untitled.png (14KB, 631x252px)
Untitled.png
14KB, 631x252px
>>
>>43713726
>>43713726
Older cards still feel more flavorful cause you know they actually had substantial flavor text on them. Apocalypse flavor text was the shit.

>NWO Flavor:

"I will protect nature because I love it" - Green Walker
"Fire good" - Red Walker
2deep4u edgelord quip - Literally every eldrazi/creature

I'll give devoid some credit but beyond that they just ripped off on themselves this time around. Converge is literally sunburst.
>>
>>43713819
>>43713872

Mirrodin really scared the creativity out of wotc
>>
>>43713910
>Converge is literally sunburst.

The problem with Magic mechanics is that they aren't infinite. Converge may be very close to Sunburst but they used it in a way that you have to play the Zendikari side to make use of it. Scions will be no good to make Converge work. This is just one way to establish the two factions in BFZ through gameplay.
>>
>>43713893
What he's saying is that spoilers can be official if they appear on other websites with WotC's approval. Like how that fat autist who does youtube videos had some official spoilers.
>>
>>43713979
Is it wrong that I immediately have someone in mind when i read this?
>>
Guys what if
the art of the cards is real and so is the source - Wizards. But what if the texts and the symbols aren't? What if they were made just to fuck with us because, you know, Kozilek, Butcher of TRUTH?
>>
>>43714014
Yes.

It means you watch MTG YouTube videos.

>>43714034
I'd be impressed. But I doubt it.
>>
>>43713974

I agree and it would've been more appreciated if it were actually good within the set.The design space and support for converge was so underwhelming I wish they would've just used something else entirely.
>>
>>43713872
I fucking love the idea behind Splice and would love them to revisit the Arcane subtype sometime with that mechanic in mind. Some of the effects were only .5 mana too expensive, like that ritual or Glacial Ray. Evermind was 1cmc too much.

That said, Splice Onto Instant or Splice Onto Sorcery would've been broken as fuck even with the overcosted shit they gave us.
>>
>>43714066
Part of the problem with Converge is that it's designed with the Standard meta in mind, which now has access to fetchlands and dual lands. They had to make it crappy on purpose because 4- or 5-color mana bases are so easy (if expensive) to build.
>>
>>43714066
Converge is good in Draft and reasonably good in Sealed.
>inb4 "but I only play Constructed where are the good cards!"
>>
File: 1434931570753.png (1MB, 1360x876px) Image search: [Google]
1434931570753.png
1MB, 1360x876px
>>43713956
I just started playing last year and I still feel like every week I see some card I've never seen before from that block that is just either stupid good or just fuckin weird and crazy
>>
I hope <> just means "must be paid with colourless.

As far as I know its impossible to make colourless mana in BFZ outside of that rare land, so it would explain why they need a basic land for it (so you can have as many as you want in draft). Also makes the pain lands even better.
>>
File: BlightedCataract.jpg (49KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
BlightedCataract.jpg
49KB, 223x311px
>>43714340
>impossible to make colourless mana in BFZ

Also, Scions and Kozilek's Channeler.
>>
>>43714372
oh shit, yeah, my bad
>>
>>43714372
If thats the case then casting the eldrahzi spells will be fairly trivial.
>>
File: 1328764095910.jpg (229KB, 758x744px)
1328764095910.jpg
229KB, 758x744px
>>43708180
>That weird bony lattice/blighted land is what happens when Ulamog and his brood eat mana
>Wastes are what happen when Kozilek and his brood twist any of the 5 colors of mana into something else
>>
>>43714154
Clearly they designed towards making constructed the rich and diverse format it is now and not rotate around a handful of cards/blue planeswalkers/4CMC Rhinos/Valuetown Robots

Are you even trying maro? If you can't let me enjoy constructed at least make draft fun.
>>
>>43713956
>Mirrodin really scared the creativity out of wotc
What do you mean? Just because of how busted it was?
>>
>>43714475
>what does design do?
>what does development do?
>>
>>43714477
For people on this board "creative" means "powerful"
>>
>>43714477

Yeah, I'm fairly sure they made Kataki because of Mirrodin and also was the cause as to why Kamigawa was extremely underpowered
>>
File: Mirrorpool.jpg (49KB, 340x462px)
Mirrorpool.jpg
49KB, 340x462px
Given that Mirrorpool specifically states that it taps for <> rather than {1}, I strongly suspect <> is a mana variant, in the same manner snow mana was. We may even see colored <>.
>>
>>43714504
That's dumb
>>
>>43714475
>Clearly they designed towards making constructed the rich and diverse format it is now and not rotate around a handful of cards/blue planeswalkers/4CMC Rhinos/Valuetown Robots
To be fair, standard has been fairly DIVERSE the past year and a half. Maybe not "fun" if you like combos, control, or anything other than turning your creatures sideways but red aggro, blue aggro, black aggro, robots, and abzan have all had their time to shine.

The problem with BFZ is that it didn't introduce any meaningful cards to the meta and made everyone's mana base twice as good, so everyone's just playing Value.Dec. And since BFZ has nothing of value...
>>
>>43714489
Well whatever it is looks a lot like pandering to new players by simplifying mechanics because the head honchos will fire the shit out of them if they don't drive sales up :^)
>>
If the all the symbol means is "add colorless mana" why not introduce it in BFZ?
Sure this is not a strong argument, ut because of this it has to be more. Maybe an alternative way to pay it (like Phyrexian mana). Processing perhaps?
>>
>>43714604
>simplifying mechanics
>what is morph
>what is manifest
>what is the whole Draft environment in BFZ

If anything, new players get crushed way more easily in BFZ because they fail to grasp the synergies and strategies. I'm not complaining because I now win more packs because of the complicated Draft environment.
>>
>>43714550
I wasn't playing MTG at the time, but Kamigawa looked neat. At least flavor-wise.

>old-ass samurai steals the scion of a god-spirit from heaven
>god-spirit gets fucking pissed and starts a war
>Wizards going deep with the references and flavor of cards

Shit looked rad
>>
>>43714569
>fairly Diverse
>unless you like combos, control or anything other than turning your creatures sideways

It's fairly diverse but after playing so long since KTK started the same old flavor of midrange goodstuff gets stale and not much has change since Abzan is still top dog
>>
>>43714629
Because it's Kozilek's shtick to distort the mana. They want the second titan to feel new and special. And when they combine it with a much needed update on generic mana and colorless mana, all the better.
>>
>>43714629
Won't be an alternate way to pay if it's mana that can be produced, but it's definitely more than simply a replacement for (1)
>>
>>43714557
That is such a terrible card, glad it's only taking a mythic slot. It's not even good in limited.
>4 mana to copy a spell, but you still have to pay for the spell.
>6 mana to copy a creature, this isn't so bad because it doesn't require you spending all that mana in 1 turn but still pretty atrocious.
>>
>>43714504
You should try playing some legacy or a powered cube. Shit feels good man.

On second thought maybe don't, you'll just end up disappointed and bitter with every set/standard environment that comes out stale. Especially when you actually have to pay mana to counter spells.
>>
>>43714689
>but you still have to pay for the spell.

That's not how copying a spell works, anon.
>>
>>43714504
"Powerful" is certainly synonymous with "interesting," at the very least.

>>43714656
Wizards going deep with it is what scared so many people off. It wasn't anime enough.
>>
>>43714740
good point except it is
>>
>>43714740
You misunderstand, he's not talking about the ability itself. The order is:
>Cast a spell
>Pay 3 mana and tap Mirrorpool to copy the spell
You still pay the mana to cast the original spell.
>>
>>43714720
No shit that a collection of 360 to 720 single cards (most of them rares) makes more diverse decks than a Standard environment Draft. I enjoy Cube AND Standard Draft for various reasons but I also see how a Standard Draft is by no means "lesser" when it comes to fun than a Cub Draft.
>>
>>43714781
Well, how else would you want to copy a spell? Everything else would be "casting a spell for free".

>>43714771
A "spell" is an instant, a sorcery, a creature, an artifact, an enchantment, or a planeswalker on the stack. To copy it, you simply put a copy of the spell on top of it. Now it's on the stack. You don't need to pay mana for it now since it already is on the stack and it will resolve like any other spell will do.
>>
>>43714646
People don't understand morph? It's not like they did anything other than be evergreen/add a counter when the morphed. You just literally have to read what the card says. People today are mega retarded lol

>>43714760
War-torn landscape with some heavy shit is actually reminiscent of old magic storylines. Dat flavor text on Yomiji too.
>>
>>43714720
I do sincerely hope hope you enjoy dying to generic bomb #4 while you hold on to that overcosted conditional removal of yours buddy.
>>
>>43714817
I've been a judge for a very long time now (since Onslaught) and I can assure you that people always have the weirdest misconceptions about how stuff works. I'm kinda glad that design now actually thinks about that stuff instead of putting in 10+ weird mechanics into a single set.
Morph and manifest got me the most judge calls recently. Devoid, weirdly, is the thing that seems to confuse people the most in BFZ. Even players who've been playing for longer seem to sometimes have problems to work out corner cases.
>>
>>43714808
>Well, how else would you want to copy a spell?
Or instead of adding an unplayable effect, design a playable effect? That's all players are asking for, but wizards loves to print garbage that's not even viable in limited.
>>
>>43714873
How does devoid cause confusion within BFZ?
>>
File: 1446679972324.jpg (36KB, 480x360px)
1446679972324.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>43714878
Copying a spell for four mana is not "unplayable garbage". Especially not in colorless. It's bonkers in Limited and it WILL show up in Constructed. Copying a creature might even be better.
You are horrible at evaluating cards, man.
>>
>>43714878
they already designed an unplayable set
>>
Honestly I see this mana as the actual color mana Ugin is using, but it's just weird and not understandable at first glance by a planeswalker. It's the mana of the blind eternities.
>>
>>43714919
>Copying a spell for four mana is not "unplayable garbage".
So 2-3 cost cards are so fucking game changing when you cast them twice round turn 7-10 when you're not playing ramp?
>>
>>43714808
>A "spell" is an instant, a sorcery, a creature, an artifact, an enchantment, or a planeswalker on the stack. To copy it, you simply put a copy of the spell on top of it. Now it's on the stack. You don't need to pay mana for it now since it already is on the stack and it will resolve like any other spell will do.
oh, i didn't know that thanks, how did it get on the stack though?
>>
>>43714808
You misunderstand, he's not talking about the ability itself.

He says:
>4 mana to copy a spell, but you still have to pay for the spell.
You say:
>That's not how copying a spell works, anon.
He wasn't talking about the copy ability. He was talking about having to pay for the original spell. His statement makes perfect sense in that context and to argue otherwise (which you're obviously going to attempt) would be semantics and complete fucking bullshit and I don't have time for this

>>43714919
>Copying a spell for four mana
IT'S FIVE MANA BECAUSE IT'S A LAND AND YES IT'S FUCKING GARBAGE. THAT'S 8 FUCKING MANA TO COPY A SINGLE, SHITTY 3CMC SPELL

>CONNECTION ERROR
FUCK WHY IS MY INTERNET SO GODDAMN SLOW
>>
How do I let Wizards know how much I hate this?
>>
>>43714910
>So, can I pay with three Scions for Touch of the Void?
>What? Why won't protection from black work against Grip of Desolation???
>But the card clearly says I should look for a green creature card. Why can't I search for Blisterpod?

It's not even funny anymore. Also, I doubt you never had any questions about new mechanics ever.
>>
>>43714919
i dunno anon etb tapped, making fake mana, and only copying your own spells sounds pretty terrible to me
>>
>>43714919

it's worse than Clone and Fork because you have to stick a bunch of colorless-producing mana sources in your deck instead of sources that produce actual good mana that can play good cards.

You are shit at evaluating cards.
>>
>>43714960
>how did it get on the stack though

Usually by you casting the spell. There are things like Isochron Scepter and stuff like Possibility Storm, though.
>>
>just found out about this
no idea what the fuck is going on but i'm hyped anyway
>>
>>43714965
>IT'S FIVE MANA BECAUSE IT'S A LAND AND YES IT'S FUCKING GARBAGE. THAT'S 8 FUCKING MANA TO COPY A SINGLE, SHITTY 3CMC SPELL
FUCK AND NOW I'M TOO MAD TO COUNT

IT'S FOUR AND I SUCK DIIIIICKKSSSSSSSS
>>
>>43714985

The first fucking sentence is 'this card has no color'. I think this is just a case of RTFC.
>>
File: 1445994898627.jpg (24KB, 500x518px) Image search: [Google]
1445994898627.jpg
24KB, 500x518px
>>43714817
Kamigawa has GOAT flavor text

>Final Judgement
>>
>>43714781
Lol, what? You get to play two instances of a spell for the original+3 mana? That's good. And it's a land so it has very little interaction. You're bad at judging cards.

Also, why the fuck would you not hold this shit up to copy your opponents spells?
>>
>>43715051
because it says "instant or sorcery you control"
>>
>>43715051
>Also, why the fuck would you not hold this shit up to copy your opponents spells?
Because you can't read.
>>
>>43715041
See things like: >>43715051
>to copy your opponents spells

Reading cards becomes harder the more cards there are because most people think they know what cards do and don't bother reading them.
>>
>>43714985
>mfw three scions for touch of the void

I do have questions and I resolve them because at least I read up on the mechanic before I go in guns blazing. That "3 scion for touch of the void" though... the end times are truly abound.
>>
>>43711941
Voice isn't useless, it was run in Birthing Pod to great effect, and is now run in "podless Pod" and Zoo decks, at least, in Modern. It was never worth its Standard price and it dropped and stabilized at around $30.
>>
>>43715078
You're right. I am illiterate, you dick. Thanks for bringing that up. I'm really insecure about it.
>>
>>43715101
That being said, BFZ raises less questions than KTK or FRF did.
The thing to be taken away from this is that people always tend to be kinda stupid. Everyone is stupid about different things, though. Even you, even me.
>>
>>43715051
you never go full retard
>>
>it's really just a shitty colorless snow mana variant and i die a little inside
>>
>>43715104
Sphinx Rev for 15
>>
>>43715051
> You get to play two instances of a spell for the original+3 mana? That's good.
No it's fucking not.
Any game changing spell ( the only ones worth copying ) are going to cost 3( We wish ) or more mana. To use the ability itself you have to pay 3 mana, and itself. It is a land, so it's effectively paying 4 mana to copy a spell. That means it's going to be at least turn 7 for it to see any value, much more likely turn 10+ at best. By that time the game has probably already been decided, so anything you or your opponent is doing is likely just stalling the inevitable. It's bad.
>>
>>43715182
no to mention you need to used that weird fake looking mana too

this certainly isn't worth a mythic slot
>>
Mirrorpool will see serious play
in EDH
>>
>>43715225
This, too. Colorless Control will also be a thing when SOI comes around.
>>
>>43715225
Mirrorpool still requires another land which produces <>. You're not going to encounter many EDH players wanting to play multiple <> sources when their deck is already crammed full of Vintage-legal nonbasics.
>>
>>43715225
>serious
>edh

i see wat u did there senpai
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-duels-coming-soon
Are any of the pictures sneaky spoilers?

Also why is there a separate ranked for Origins and BfZ? Does this mean I can't mix Origins and BfZ cards in Magic Duels?
>>
>>43715321
I don't think so. Stonework Puma is from original Zendikar block, but I forget which set specifically. I guess they realized Ally tribal needed some help.

Interestingly, Ruin Processor from that same screenshot has a different set symbol than the other BFZ cards. Probably a bug, knowing the developers.

>silence for months
>BFZ TOMORROW GUYS!!!! DRAGONSSS!!!! I MEAN ELDRAZI!!!!! GET HYPEE!!!!!
What a bunch of chucklefucks.
>>
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133305372973/less-than-72-hours-ensure-your-affairs-are-in#notes
>>
>>43715294
Play colorless, run lots of Wastes. If the <> is errata even better, use those lands you already have to copy shit.
>>
File: 1438489032378.png (424KB, 519x903px) Image search: [Google]
1438489032378.png
424KB, 519x903px
>>43715451
>>
>>43715321
>Are any of the pictures sneaky spoilers?
That was the update for BfZ, which has been delayed for over a month. There's nothing from the next set in it.

Also, as an aside, that is easily the worst game I've ever played. Hands down.

>>43715413
>Interestingly, Ruin Processor from that same screenshot has a different set symbol than the other BFZ cards.
It's part of the freebies you get during the update. It's not in the boosters.
>>
>>43713672
That's Kozilek's hat
>>
>>43713391
Shards upon shards wait and whispered
Dancing endlessly unbidden
A string tugged here, another sliced and severed
Their purpose as yet still hidden
>>
File: 1444777817099.jpg (54KB, 300x300px)
1444777817099.jpg
54KB, 300x300px
>>43715550
WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
>>
>>43715451
WHAT DOES IT MEAN????
>>
>>43715225
The creature copy might be good in Limited, depends on the rest of the set as well as whether you can add as many Wastes as you want (b/c Basic) or you have to draft them.
>>
>>43713514
You don't remember literally everyone hating thragtusk because it was fucking everywhere?
>>
>>43715586
In the future, people will nostalgically think back of the days of the rhino. It will happen and you know it.
>>
>>43715570
ISIS

>>43715616
People are already nostalgic over fucking Theros.
>>
>>43715638
I'm nostalgic over Odyssey.
>>
>>43715570
It's from the 15th mind you.
Early on the 15th, somewhat a little less than 72 hours before the spoilers were posted
>>
>>43715914
for some reason I read that as
>somewhat a little more than 72 hours before the spoilers were posted
and started shaking my head at WotC being unable to even leak spoilers correctly
>>
>>43715914
"We tried something new for the OGW spoilers this year. You might've seen a couple of some very weird cards popping up on the internet lately..."
>>
>>43716082
>>43716003
>>43715914
>>43715675
>>43715570
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133172063743/five-days-remain-plan-accordingly#notes
>>
File: 1442796162748.jpg (84KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
1442796162748.jpg
84KB, 500x677px
>>43716219
Fuck.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

WE'VE BEEN PLAYED
>>
>>43716219
Is Mark getting blackmailed?
>>
>>43716219
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/126480135723/since-you-were-in-charge-of-the-un-sets-and-each

>Mirror

>Kozilek and Wastes were spoiled first
>possibly by donthemage
>Maro saw it and posted his own spoiler, his favorite doubling card from the set, Mirrorpool
>this is why the third card was from a different but also elusive source

It all makes sense now. Fuck.
>>
>>43716320
Has donthemage posted anything else?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (27KB, 671x320px)
Untitled.jpg
27KB, 671x320px
>>43716320
I asked pic related yesterday.

HE KNOWS.
>>
>>43716471
I looked his blog and has a post from a year ago supporting the reserved list.
>>
>>43716514
MaRo's puppet account confirmed.
>>
>>43716471
http://donthemage.tumblr.com/
https://www.google.com/search?q=donthemage+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fmarkrosewater.tumblr.com%2F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>>43716561
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/129192880288/wednesday-november-18th-2015-prepare-yourself

Holy fucking shit guys! Look at the fucking dates!
>>
>>43716594
Sock confirmed.

Man, that's let down.
>>
File: 1445996710206.jpg (46KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1445996710206.jpg
46KB, 1440x900px
>>43716594
I can't take this anymore.
It was planned after all.
>>
>>43716635
What?
>>43716641
But by wotc itself or the leaker? Something is happening here and I can't handle it.
>>
>>43716635
Doesn't look like a sock but more of someone who's been given the job to leak stuff.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/23169388122/2-does-the-word-sorry-even-exist-in-the-wotc-or

Doesn't look like a real sock puppet thing. There's also an entire chain of arguments about Tony Stark being a black character. Since maro seems to know the guy, it was easier for him to continue this argument despite him getting tons of asks every day. Donthemage is not a sock puppet but very possibly an inside man.
>>
>>43716594
>>43716473
>>43716320
>>43716219
HAPPENING
>>
>>43716734
SOMEONE MAKE A NEW THREAD WITH THE NEW INFO
>>
File: tjfPTaR.jpg (18KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
tjfPTaR.jpg
18KB, 360x270px
KOZYGATE HAPPENING!
>>
>>43716779
There isn't any new info.

Unless you're talking about MaRo's plant, in which case literally who gives a fuck?
>>
>>43716734
>>43716779
>>43716812
WE'VE BEEN PLAYED LIKE GODAMM FIDDLE!
>>
>>43716818
>leak three cards with the new mana symbol
>all three won't give an explanation what the symbol does
>clues everywhere pointing the leak to be intentional

We might just have stumbled into Maro's next wild ride being a Cozy ARG.
>>
>>43716862
should have expected it from the trickster
>>
NEW THREAD
>>43717223
>>43717223
>>43717223
>>43717223
>>
>>43713819
>soulshift is less parasitic than splice
>splice did not allow for cool as fuck decks
>splice was less flavorful than soulshift
What?
>>
>>43717649
Soulshift works with any Spirit ever printed. Thus it is less parasitic than Splice Onto Arcane, which only works with cards from Kamigawa block.
I agree on the other points, but Splice is in fact a horribly parasitic mechanic, and soulshift is not.
>>
>>43715007
Friendly reminder that Tomb of Urami was really fucking good.
This is likely very good in mono-colored decks anon. If they existed I'm sure it would see play.
>>
>>43713418
what would you rather have be on the colorless land?

a (1)?

they had to make some symbol for strictly-colorless mana
>>
>>43717688
>A parasitic mechanic is one that is only useful in the set it is in
Soulshift despite its higher breadth has not had 1 useful card in extended modern or legacy. Splice has had several playable cards and has even had grishoalbrand which was built partially around the splice mechanic.
Splice works better with other cards because splice allows for different strategies, like glimpse of nature with elves, or food chain goblins or wild pair slivers, no splice deck is just a splice deck, making it less parasitic.
>>
>>43718348
IT doesn't have to do with being GOOD outside of its block, but being USABLE outside its block. Splice is only usable with Arcane cards, which were only printed in Kamigawa. Those specific cards happening to be good in specific decks is irrelevant to being parasitic or not - it's still parasitic as fuck. 'No Splice deck is just a Splice deck' is irrelevant
>>
>>43718469
>'No Splice deck is just a Splice deck' is irrelevant
I thought parasitic was referring to how a mechanic doesn't play well with other cards? How is it playing well with other cards irrelevant?
Your definition might be right but I fail to see how being parasitic in your sense is worse than being parasitic in my sense.
>>
>>43718585
>Set 1: Here's is Knicknacks, a new creature type that has lords and can fetch itself and is quite alright overall!
>Set 2. Here is Slavers, a new creature type that buffs every other Slaver with abilities!
>Set 3: Here is Kervu, a new creature type that is really strong as long as you have more than three on the board!
>Set 4: Here are mystic spells, they can't be countered as long as two of them are on the stack at the same time!
>Set 5: Here are Zombles, a new creature type that gets stronger as long as there is another Zomble in the the graveyard!

Repeat ad infinitum and never print anything with those types again. That is the definition of parasitic.
>>
>>43718585
Your sense isn't parasitic, it's just power level concern. The problem with Soulshift isn't that it doesn't play well with cards outside of its block - it DOES, it works with spirits from Ravnica and Innistrad and Oddysey and whatever - it's that pretty much everything it's on is weak as hell.
Splice Onto Arcane wants more Arcane cards to Splice Onto but those are only from Kamigawa. You can't find a random card from Khans of Tarkir to Splice Onto.
>>
>>43718651
>Repeat ad infinitum and never print anything with those types again
So the solution to this is to never introduce tribes again? That seems ridiculous. In any case the bigger problem seems like they're all bland and overly similar, not that have to few cards to work with.
>That is the definition of parasitic.
But why even use the word when it's not a good description of the problem?
>>
>>43718797
It's Wizards' definition of parasitic.
>>
>>43713454
>discontinuation of Core set

I'm new to Magic, do Core sets usually last the whole year?
>>
>>43708180
so ANOTHER set Im skipping. why am I even playing this game anymore
>>
>>43713514
Esper Drownyard was cancer, Resto-Thragtusk was everywhere and oppressive bullshit, Hellrider was good right up until it was unplayable.
>>
Now anyone can build a colourless EDH deck without the rite of passage of collecting all the different lands.
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.