[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Pauper General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: cancer.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
no threads about Pauper? I'm ashamed.

talk about the best budget format in the game
complain about mono blue fairies
post deck ideas

Official rules:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/pauper

ToTT: What cards do you think need the boot?
>>
>>43636716
Not really into pauper, but a friend of mine wanted to try out Pauper EDH.

What would be a strong Pauper general in your opinion? I was thinking of Wasp Lancer for U/B faries/rogues.

I'm probably correct to assume that blue is the strongest color in Pauper?
>>
>>43636801
>Blue
Dunno, maybe because of counters, but elves are bretty gud too.

Currently I am playing Mono U Delver and Reanimator.
Delver works great, it's a very solid deck with tons of responses.
Reanimator... it's shit. But when it works it obliterates everything
>>
>>43636824
thats the thing with delver/fairies, it can be easily tailored to stop anything.
been playing a simic deck, http://pastebin.com/se6NtwRP is my current list
>>
BUG infect

Instant (20)
4x Apostle's Blessing/Distortion strike (not sure yet)
4x Giant Growth
4x Groundswell
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Vines of Vastwood

Land (20)
4x Evolving Wilds
10x Forest
1x Island
1x Swamp
4x Terramorphic Expanse

Creature (20)
4x Blighted Agent
4x Glistener Elf
4x Ichorclaw Myr
4x Llanowar Augur
4x Plague Stinger

Sideboard (15)
3x Blight Mamba
4x Fog
4x Nature's Claim
4x Ranger's Guile

Any ideas to improve the deck? Specially the mana base
>>
>>43637056
Instead of Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanses, a mix of Tarkir lifeduals?
>>
>>43637080
The problem is that you can't fetch those
>>
>>43636824
I assumed because of card draw, counters, removal (bounce), and efficient beaters like Delver.

By "best", I obviously didn't mean it in an absolute sense, but more that it probably got more versatility than the other four colors.

I could be wrong though.

>>43636824
Interested in seeing the reanimator list.

No ideas on pauper EDH here?
>>
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper/full#paper

Decent source for pauper lists, just in case anyone hasn't seen it.

I'm happy enough with the banlist. Wouldn't mind if Empty the Warrens or TCruise came back, or if CoF hit the bench.

Currently building two varieties on the "kuldotha" bounce decks- UW using Trinket Mage and Squadron Hawk for a pauper caw-blade, and a Bant enchantments approach using drake familiar, abundant growth and nylea's presence instead of glint hawk, wellspring and prism. I doubt either of them can beat Delver or Familiar reliably, but they're fun.

>>43636801
Anything with hexproof is strong, but boring as batshit to play. Assuming you'd rather play something that isn't voltron, Baleful Strix, Young Pyromancer and Mistmeadow Witch are all very strong.
>>
>>43637395
I'd kill for Empty the Warrens to come back
>>
>>43637310
Auriok salvagers, Bear's Companion, Sprouting Thrinax and Ponyback Brigade can all be built around.
>>
>>43637415
Warrens did nothing wrong. Electrickery is already a popular enough sideboard card, let them eat goblins already.

RDW goblin tokens just doesn't feel the same.
>>
The only thing I have to build a Pauper deck is the Grave Advantage Intro deck that the owner sold to me pretty cheap. Although I'm "new" to the game and don't know what I should include amongst the bajillion cards that MTG has. :(
>>
>>43637548
Well, you have two gurmag anglers and some swamps, that's a start.
>>
>>43637596
Yeah, actually the deck is very good from what it has, 3 jungle hollow, 2 gurmag, and a lot of card that synergize very well with each other. I just don't know what else I can put there, since there's not a substitute for Sanguine Bond and the deck focuses heavily on Delve and Lifegain. Any tips?
>>
>>43637659
G/B Delve can be fun. Off the top of my head, Grisly Salvage, Gnaw to the Bone, Fierce Empath, Hooting Mandrills, Stinkweed Imp, Golgari Brownscale and Tilling Treefolk can all play nicely together.
>>
>>43637725
Tortured existence is a good deck that has these
>>
>>43637310
Reanimator:

Creatures
1 Putrid imp
4 Hapless researcher
4 Gurmag angler
4 Ulamog's crusher

Other Spells
4 Careful Study
2 Dragon Breath
1 Dragon Wings
3 Duress
4 Exhume
3 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Negate
4 Ponder
2 Snuff Out
4 Lotus petal

Lands
4 Dismal Backwater
4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Island
5 Swamp

Sideboard
1 Dragon Wings
1 Duress
3 Dispel
2 Echoing Decay
2 Echoing Truth
2 Essence Scatter
3 Mesmeric Fiend
1 Negate
>>
>>43637733
Knew I was forgetting something lol
>>
>>43637725
>>43637733
Dang, i forgot to tell, its Pauper T2.
>>
File: 1403360164194.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1403360164194.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
>>43637846
>T2
>>
>>43637859
Well....its whats available to me unfortunately.
>>
>>43637896
Standard Pauper is often unfun and low powered. I guess you have Scout the Borders to power up your delving.
>>
>>43637503
>>43637395

These are all actually pretty great. Thanks anons.
>>
>>43637896
But you can build a decent Pauper deck for 40$ tops...
>>
Pauper and Draft are the best formats

I just wish I could find people IRL to play with or a store that would run a mini Pauper side event at FNM or something
>>
Hey guys, I was thinking of picking up a cheap but fun deck that I can play with my friends. We don't really stick to any particular format, it's just casual play on the kitchen table and the power range of the decks in the meta goes from pretty low to pretty high. Because of that I'm not especially worried about winning, but I'd still like a deck that's fun to play while also being cheap to put together. Do you guys have any suggestions?

My preferred colors tend to be blue, black, and green, although I'm open to trying red or white (I've just consistently had awful luck any time I've played a red or white deck).
>>
>>43639451
Blue/black = Dimir Teachings
Blue = Delver
Green = Mono Green Tron
Green/Black = Tortured Existence
Blue Green = Simic Evolve

I'm a fan of Domain Zoo, personally
>>
>>43639451
See this: >>43637056
>1st turn: Forest + Glistener Elf
>2nd turn: Forest + 2x Groundswell + Mutagenic Growth for 2 lives
>And now you are winner!!! :D
>>
>>43639451
>>43639841
And I forgot

Black = MBC

Can check out some of the decks I mentioned @ mtgoldfish
>>
>>43639841
I already have a Simic deck actually, it's my main deck, so I probably won't do that. UR Delver is also a pet project that I've been wanting to put together for a long time, so I already have that in the works.

Dimir Teachings seems most fun out of the other three, just because I love keeping people on their toes. I never realized Mystical Teachings was such an inexpensive card before either... So that's a solid contender. Thanks for the ideas!

>>43639843
Seems like a quick deck and poison/infect is kind of interesting, but I'm not sure I'd have as much fun with it as the Dimir Teachings suggestion.
>>
What are some strong pauper decks that can do cool shit and provide a moderate challenge? Too many pauper decks lack a whole lot of decisions imo
>>
>>43638359
Pauper is up and coming online, why not just ask friends/playgroup if they want to try it out with you. Why not ask your store if they would be willing to host a small pauper event sometimes?
>>
>>43640315
>Pauper is up and coming online
Hasn't it been up and coming for, like, years now? With fluctuating periods of rise and decline? Or is it actually, currently, on an inevitable rise into paper support or acknowledgement? What makes now different than like 2012 when I found out about it, yet still have to inform people that it even exists?

I haven't asked my store, but I don't think anyone would be into it. They already have an alternate Standard "new players" FNM that no one signs up for, not even the actual new players, budget players, or literal children.

>>43640014
>Seems like a quick deck [...]
I mean no offense to anyone who like or plays Pauper Infect, but imo it's a fun deck once or twice but quickly loses novelty

>>43640048
1 Land Spy (combo), Dimir Teachings (control), Esper Familiar (combo)
>>
File: MistmeadowBitch.jpg (32KB, 223x310px)
MistmeadowBitch.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>43636801
this
>>
>>43640643
Seems like it'd be fun with Sundial of the Infinite.
>>
>>43639451
Do Green/White to give white another chance

Look up Pauper Slivers. It'll be good enough for casual, but folds to mass removal.
>>
>>43640882
The effect would just happen at the next appropriate end step instead. Sundial would do cool stuff, but it wouldn't last forever.
>>
c+c on my re animator list? I've done some testing and so far the only bad matchup is burn. Delver or U/R can be tough since you have to play around the counterspells but its not unwinnable

4x Owl Familiar
2x Merfolk Traders
4x Ulamog's Crusher
2x Hand of Emrakul
3x Gurmag Angler

4x Careful Study
4x Ponder
3x Muddle the Mixture
2x Counterspell
2x Daze
2x Forbidden Alchemy
4x Exhume
2x Duress
1x Chainer's Edict
2x Dragon Breath

4x Dismal Backwater
4x Evolving Wilds
8x Island
3x Swamp

4x Hydroblast
2x Shrivel
2x Duress
2x Echoing Decay
1x Dispel
1x Snuff out
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Echoing Truth
1x Essence Scatter
>>
File: fade.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
fade.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>43641180
Is there mass removal at common rarity?
Besides pic related I mean
>>
>>43641596
Aren't you supposed to use Sundial in response to the trigger?
>>
>>43641596
Do it in response to the EOT trigger, it's gone forever
>>
>>43641864
>Muddle the Mixture
Goddammit this card it's what I needed.
>>
File: file.png (252KB, 312x445px)
file.png
252KB, 312x445px
>>43641894
Nause and pic related.
>>
>>43641996
Oh true I forgot about Nausea and I didn't know this one. Thanks dude
>>
File: 29[1].jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
29[1].jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>43641894
>>
>>43642097
Cool. Might be useful.
>>
>>43636716
Neat. I'm on UW tron. Turns out that a lot of decks have trouble against a turn 3 rhystic circle.
>>
>>43641894
Crypt Rats used to be the most popular card in the format.
>>
>>43636801
Blue has Capsize, counterspells, card draw and a bunch of tutors so it's probably the best color.
>>
I've been considering starting a paper pauper tournament at my LGS, does anyone hear play paper or have local tournaments?
>>
>>43645764
We have sanctioned fnm pauper every week.
>>
>>43645824
how many people do you get for it? what's the meta like?
>>
>>43645828
10 people or so.
Tron, mono b, some delver, Goblins, Tortured Existence, nivix blitz, elves
>>
>>43645764
I have a ton of pauper decks but nobody to play with.
I've got 2x variants of affinity, one of which is Atog/Disciple pseudo-combo and one of which is robot aggro, UR Delverfiend, monoW soldiers, monoU control, GW Midnight Gond, big bad MBC, Esper Familiar, No Banlist Storm, GW landfall and RB aggro.
I've got enough decks to take to the LGS and get them to run a tourney but I haven't yet. Should do it at some point.
paradoxically one of my affinity decks is the most expensive non-edh deck I own, all foil artifact lands and player rewards cards.
>>
bump for poor people
>>
is ub teachings actually good

it looks really cool
>>
>>43649199
It's pauper. If you think it looks fun, tailor it a bit to your meta and go for gold.

It can win games. Maybe not as reliably as Delver, but it's far from shit.
>>
>>43646417
Hello other pauper collector. Could I see your landfall deck? It's been a while since I've added to my collection and it sounds fun.
>>
>>43646417
If you've got Cockatrice I'll play some games with you. There's a ton of Pauper players on there and it's a great software.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.