[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's going on with HQQ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: 1430720384228.jpg (306KB, 1146x833px) Image search: [Google]
1430720384228.jpg
306KB, 1146x833px
Quest drone said he might be a bit delayed but a month has been and gone! Anyone have any info?
>>
>>43619725
check his twitter

https://twitter.com/HiveQueenQuest
>>
>>43619765
His last one's in September. October had flew by, and now it is November.
So yeah, OP's claim that QD's been gone for a month is well-grounded.
I miss our sassy bug waifu, whose snark could launch a thousand spaceships.
>>
>>43619869
I... I just want to research again...
>>
File: HQQ unity drone.png (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
HQQ unity drone.png
68KB, 500x500px
>>43619904
LODS E RESERCH
>>
Quests are abandoned all the time. Make of dealings
>>
>>43619948
I have needs anon. Research needs.
>>
>>43619979
You're only hurting yourself. Let it go
>>
File: 1418610257963.png (228KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
1418610257963.png
228KB, 560x315px
>>43619947
WOP IT OUT

But yea, seriously, I'm hoping he'll be ready to run soon. I know he recovered his hard drive at last, and he's still mulling over how to re-engage the quest, so I guess at this point he's just waiting for the perfect moment to jump back into it. Or at least, I hope he is.
>>
Muh research quest
>>
>>43620302
QD a best.
>>
>>43619869
Dude, check the 'tweets and replies', his last tweet there was from but a week ago.
>>
>>43620302
Based mini-kamikazes with a brain too little to comprehend nothing but BLOW IT ALL UP.
>>
>>43620476
Mad Stan pls
>>
File: BLOW IT ALL UP.jpg (140KB, 803x598px)
BLOW IT ALL UP.jpg
140KB, 803x598px
>>43620476
Bless their mad little hearts.
>>
Sadly couldn't get into this quest after it's already dozens of threads in. It's like 3 posts of convoluted economic mess you need all those threads, and tons of time, to understand. How do you even catch up with what you need or may be lacking, or have too much of?
>>
>>43620527
It's more straight forward than you might think. There are two resources used (nutrients and metals) and only the former is used outside of construction/egg laying. All the relevant info for playing is in, like 5 short lines of that 3 convoluted posts you mentioned, most of which is just a list of active drones and ships we've got on hand.
>>
Like the other anon said. Just a week or so ago he said hes getting closer to running. Doesn't want to set a date yet but things are improving
>>
File: HQQ taidaren forager.png (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
HQQ taidaren forager.png
74KB, 500x500px
Also, Taidarens are cute in their own way. Kinda like opossums or raccoons.
>>
>>43619869
>>43619725
>>43620527

Probablygonna end up going the way of AIQ. Civ quests do tend to simply collapse under their own weight.
>>
File: 1328422572792.jpg (151KB, 488x597px)
1328422572792.jpg
151KB, 488x597px
>>43620576
Fuck that, AIQ ended because the players deliberately chose a bad end, for whatever reason. Quests like AIQ and HQQ are an entirely different beast than your generic, disposable style civs.
>>
>>43620546
Yes, but then you have an army of 50 different units and you wonder just how similar a few of them are. How do you decide, how do I decide, which of them should get a reinforcement, and by how many? You have a few types of.. quantum brains I think and similar research units, and a ton of combat units. I just can't remember their names right now, but as a new player it's pretty daunting as I have no place to make those decisions. Feels just convoluted.
>>
>>43620601
Dude, chill. Unless we specifically specify otherwise QD just takes the obvious configuration of units and ships and deploys them in ways we vote for in battles. Most of the drones you see in the OP are niche drones for combat that are hyper specialized for some specific role. Outside of warfare there are really only a handful of units you need to think about, usually the flies and bio tanks. We don't need to worry about moving the thinkers anywhere because they can psionically communicate with any drone from anywhere.

So basically, you only need to keep a few particulars in mind to make decisions, all the logistical shit is handled off screen.
>>
>>43620646
Alright. Though I imagine it can get pretty rough for OP. >>43620576 kind of has a point.
>>
>>43620670
QD apparently uses a lot of spreadsheets, so for him it's mostly a matter of putting the right numbers in the right places. And don't think that comparison works, myself. AIQ ended because the players decided to, not because the QM was swamped by unmanageable numbers. His quest, as was HQQ, designed to deal with huge numbers of things from the start and was equipped to deal with it, which is something most civs on this board don't have. The vast majority of them are experimental forays in RPing for QMs looking to get their feet wet, but aren't designed on a coherent plan and aren't intended to be concluded. They just run until everyone involved runs out of steam. QD and his quest doesn't fall into that category.
>>
File: schlock20030727a.jpg (65KB, 725x213px)
schlock20030727a.jpg
65KB, 725x213px
>>43620476
Sentient munitions are always hilarious.
>>
>>43619725
By the way about intervebrae quests: I always wondered how much crossover there was between HQQ and Re:Monster EX quest (aka spiderquest). There's at least some guys going "For Mother!" in Re:Lizard rolls.
>>
>>43620527
Part of that list is just a list of construction options that stays largely the same. It's just posed every time so people remember what's available.
The rest is the resource summary, which honestly you can ignore 80% of the time because we're rolling in so many nutrients budget concerns are effectively reserved only for building whole fleets at once, and research updates, which we have in such number because our thinkers are the best at solving thing for mother.

All of those things accumulated slowly, so if you start reading from the archive you only need to remember a couple bits while you pick up the rest piecemeal.

>>43620601
True, but all the units (and unit parts) are collected in the pastebin, and most of their names are fairly self-explanatory. Workers work, warriors fight, heavy warriors fight harder, sniffers find things, wasps sting things, thinkers think, speakers speak, relays keep us all connected, and so on.
The difference between quantum thinkers and normal ones is that quantum thinkers can get ideas of their own while working. Normal thinkers are basically computers, and only research what they're told to. Quantum thinkers can occasionally the leap of logic to say things like "Hey, the superconductors we made for this portable shield project would also give our energy weapons a boost if we incorporated them in the design."
>>
>>43620970

It's a dice-contamination, Rolls with "For Mother!" in HQQ usually got pretty fucking high on a normal basis.

It's like kissing a dice for luck.
>>
>>43620527
eh. just read up the archive from the start. it's not that hard, it took me just 3 days without sleep and life. you'll get absorbed right in.
>>
I miss those natural 20...I even sometimes miss those dice ones.
>>
>>43619725
>>43620576
What other civ quests are good? I've only read HQQ and OGRES (and EVO of course)
>>
So I wanted to start making a ship design with the Singularity Projector on it, but I don't know how to represent it on design. It hasn't been added to the 1d4chan talk page yet. It's supposed to replace some weapon mounts, right?
Also, is there any designs you guys think should get an update?
>>
>>43621621
Cyclops civ was pretty interesting while it lasted, but it's abandoned now.
>>
>>43621097
This, people kept doing it in hive queen quest and getting good rolls, and one day I was fucking around on a day both were running and did it in RE: Lizard quest, and lo and behold we rolled a 90+ in a quest that was infamous for shitty dice rolls (See: Lizard Dice), and people have been doing it ever since.
>>
>>43621621
Death Among the Stars is pretty decent so far. Part of what motivated OP to run was HQQ withdrawal.
>>
>>43621623
If I remember correctly it's mountable in any weapons slot, but its stats vary depending on the slot it's mounted in. A spinal projector has very low ROF but eats large chunks of space at decent range with each shot, while auxiliary mounted ones spam EHs a few meters wide at very close range.
>>
>>43621833
I wonder... What if the ship in question was a hive ship with singularity projectors on every mount....
Questions like these are why we need QD.
>>
>>43621833
Thanks. I've been meaning to try out a 'Destroyer Hive Ship' again, while having OQ ships in mind, since she doesn't use shields and covers her capitals with fighters instead.

So which emplacements would be best for that? Not necessarily related but also out of curiosity: if one chooses the spinal mounts, is it both or can you chose to mount it on just one?
>>
I had so many false flag operations planned, such as faking that lyle was working for the scavs, or for the squids, or pretty much for anyone but us. In addition we had several whistle blowing ideas, as well as multiple ideas involving flooding clones into terrorist organizations, creating our own splinter cells and then politically assassinating people under seemingly legitimate gripes.

On top of that there was the plot to start feeding information to the green party and provide them with our spying resources, because if the valen are going to support one party we might as well support the other.
>>
>>43621868
Then you've effectively got a selective black hole.
On the plus side, it would eat fleets and be effectively invulnerable, since the singularities consume weapon fire.
On the down side, fleets it eats are no longer available for the Hive to eat, which means no salvage. It also means you've got no intermediate setting between "pacifism" and "KILL ALL THINGS FOR MOTHER."
>>
>>43621971
So something to use against the crystal gods rather than other enemies. Or as a big shield against super-weapons and the like.
>>
>>43622012
The problem is, the only weapon we ever have known to hurt the crystal gods was psionic in nature, and scares the shit out of us to the point where we don't even want to study it. Who knows if they can even be harmed by physical weaponry, even if it is black holes?

I do wonder though, if you could use a singularity to slingshot our own projectiles at extreme speeds and hit targets on angles that they wouldn't expect because they should be fucking impossible.
>>
>>43621971
Always good "OH SHI-" solution
>>
>>43621887
A ship with a singularity projector only really has the one projector, regardless of how many slots you spend on it. Instead, slots spent give stacking buffs to the projector.
Spinal mounts dedicated to the projector increase the duration and potency of the projected well, while dedicated auxiliary mounts increase the RoF and accuracy of the weapon. Fixed and turret slots increase everything somewhat, favoring spinal or auxiliary bonuses respectively.
In all cases, the projector is assumed to have 360° visibility. The projector itself does not physically occupy any weapon slots, it just uses the resources of those slots to power and direct a device built into the innards of the ship. The projector proper doesn't need direct LoS to a target, only firing coordinates.

So yes, you can pick and choose what slots to dedicate to the projector.
>>
>>43622035
An entire galaxy is greatly influenced by a black hole. Just a question of magnitude.
Can you use it for terraforming, by drawing planets away to Goldilocks position?
>>
>>43622035
Singularity-assisted railguns and missiles, not to mention our gravity drive.
This should be looked into.
>>
>>43622081
The entire galaxy is influenced by a single atom too, the thing is, black holes can really be trumped up in sci fi, for the most part many of them do nothing or might even be in orbit of another sun.

Hell, if you were to replace the moon with a black hole all that would be different would be the occasional asteroid that gets slung at relativistic speeds into the earth by it.

But seriously, what if you made a singularity drive and strapped it to a moon, and used it to send said moon into a planet? We Planetary Annihilation now
>>
>>43622117
It would be extremely painful
>>
>>43622081
Probably not, unless you had several ships with projectors and thinker banks working in concert to maintain a gravity well.

Planets are huge and a force of acceleration noticeable to a ship is microscopic compared to planetary mass. The projectors were built as combat weapons, which means they're designed to operate at a very short distance to the target at high (relative) intensity for a fairly short period of time, likely topping out at several minutes.

The way gravity scales over distance means that being right up in a gravity well has very pronounced effects (since the nearest chunk of the ship is feeling ten or twelve times the acceleration that the chunk only a few dozen meters behind is subjected to, which tears them apart), but at longer distances very quickly drops to a far flatter curve.
This means that to move a planet, you need to project the well far enough away that the force of gravity across the whole mass of the world is largely equal, and that's pretty damn far. That means you need a very strong well to have its effects felt at all from that distance.

Since simply dumping more power into the well will exaggerate the imbalance of force on the near and far sides of the planet (and also probably destroy the projector ships), instead you need to sustain a weaker well long enough for the planet to accelerate. However, the planet is going to be moving this whole time, which means the vector of acceleration from the well is going to change. This means you need to continually adjust the position of the well, while also accounting for how you're going to REMOVE this momentum once the planet is in position while also accounting for how the sustained presence of a large new gravity well will affect the orbits of other bodies in the system.

Also, if the world you're moving has a moon, don't even try. You're better off building a Rip Drive big enough to stuff a planet through and fine-tuning it once it's through.
>>
>>43622244
>REMOVE this momentum once the planet is in position
Just calculate the course so orbit around the sun doesn't break, just extended. Then when it reaches near the furthest point of the orbit, do it again to extend the shorter side of the orbit until they're equal.

Biggest problem strikes me as management of other celestial bodies, by a large margin. Influencing the planet so it will maintain its integrity strikes me as possible with enough thinker banks and sufficient hardware. Effort would probably be multiplied over and over for each celestial body in the system, if it's deemed its new course. or any integrity loss. would be problematic.
>>
The thing a lot of people need to realize is how much stuff QD did for us behind the scenes. Almost all of it went poof when his computer died, it's going to be very hard to get any of that back. However QD I don't think QD would willingly abandon this quest, the amount of time and effort he put into it would all be wasted. It may be a bit naive, but I have faith he'll be back soon.

we just need a faggot with twitter to get some answers out of him.
>>
>>43622428
Didn't he do that entire space battle that we didn't even directly fuck with with nothing but behind the scenes dice rolls? (And a crit failed piloting roll by a fighter squad ruined everything).
>>
>>43622428
>Have spreadsheets
>Not use Google Drive
>>
>>43622447
Yep, apparently he was using physical dice too.

>>43622449
Hey man, QD is great, but we all have shortcomings.
>>
So in anticipation of when the quest comes back:

>Immidiate concerns.
-Galactic political scene like always.
-The Mirage.
-New Hive.
-A nice talk with the pet seller aboard our ship.

>Secondary concerns.
-RESEARCH and ideas we could have our thinkers look into if they haven't thought of it themselves.
-OQ Hive Ship salvage.
-Biome surveys on other worlds.

Anything I missed?
>>
>>43622518
There have been a few modifications to the Citadel Hiveship that have been made. We need to factor those in.
>>
>>43622518
Deciding how much we show off while fixing that Commonwealth guy's eyes. Are we going to just give him ideal human specs, or low-light broad-spectrum telescopic-zoom peepers with 120° FoV.
>>
>>43622546
I don't think we should start with big things. Not yet, but only little improvements. Like going from 1.2 to 1.3.
>>
>>43622518
Research is the only concern
>>
>>43622876
Speaking of, what do you guys think about looking into keeping people out of our systems. At least at the edge of our systems' termination shock. Granted interrupting any forms of FTL has never been done before, and there won't be any one solution for all the different drives, but not having enemies attack us in the middle of our systems would be cautious.

Our Blink Drive should be the 'easiest' since we know everything about it, including its limits. We'll need that for OQ.

We have a good understanding of Warp Drive, and we're studying Rip Drive , though still no idea how to stop those in their track. Not a major concern for Rip Drive though, and not a major one for Warp.

Slip Drive should be the hardest one for anyone else, but since it would involve psionics which we're experts at, it may actually be possible for the Hive.

Space Fold, Gates, and Flicker Drive are complete unknowns, though only the last one is a concern.
>>
File: typing the thing for players.jpg (224KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
typing the thing for players.jpg
224KB, 1024x683px
>>43620556
Essentially this.

>>43620715
Technically it is just the one, which adds up all ships and drones and then I add in clones and other odd ball costs afterwards.

>>43622244
While what you said does stand, that is technically how a gravity drive functions (although on a small ship scale, and thus requires vastly fewer resources and power) the black hole flickers on and off in front of the ship to keep it in the right position so that the ship is constantly falling into it. It can also be projected to the sides to jink away from weapons fire or create a random flight path.

Like you said though, this has the opposite problem, as the singularities are too close to the ship and are focused on low output over longer periods of time, making them highly ineffective as a weapon.

>>43622428
Not all of it. Honestly, I have a lot of notes, but spent so much time not looking at them waiting to get them recovered from my bricked pc that when I did get them back I had forgotten what a lot of it was about, since many of my notes are just little day to day things like reminders of how many of what drone was produced or how many of what thing was dispatched to where that I write down separately.

I actually have a paper notebook filled with scribbles like "10 flies to Earth" or lists of new unit production, with all the previous pages covered in chicken scratch as I checked them off.

It looks like a crazy man's journal, honestly, and none of it has any context. For the most part that was what was on the computer.

At any rate, I'm glad to see interest hasn't fallen. I hope to get back into things soon. I have also been thinking on ways to improve how logistics is done to make it easier to vote on building units and organizing them.
>>
>>43623463
For mother.
I hope to see it sometime soon!
>>
>>43623463
I hope it's soon QD, the withdraw is strong.
>>
>>43623463
Good to hear from you QD! Thanks for the update
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.