[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 280
Thread images: 98

File: cctprimer.png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
cctprimer.png
2MB, 1400x1800px
Shadows over Battle for Return to Edition

Old Thread: >>43573148

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Formatting FAQ
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
http://digital-art-gallery.com/
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://www.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
>>
File: invokers.jpg (314KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
invokers.jpg
314KB, 1500x523px
Well, it is Thursday night, I dunno why I expected there to be a crowd.
>>
File: MechanicTest.jpg (757KB, 1909x1062px) Image search: [Google]
MechanicTest.jpg
757KB, 1909x1062px
So i need help gauging the powerlevels of these mechanics, and i could use some help with the wording. more to come based on the feedback
>>
File: Hand of Ukud.png (227KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hand of Ukud.png
227KB, 375x523px
>>43617290
Green's kinda boring, since all the other green invokers do essentially the same thing.

I don't like white, since it continues to stall the game when you would want to finish it. Maybe only protect your creatures so you can crash them into your opponents without fear?

Red seems fine. I like black, but it reads weirdly to me. Perhaps "Draw a card, then target player..."
>>
>>43617510
I like this one a lot. If i draw it too early I can cycle it and still get an effect as if I had summoned him.
>>
>>43617510
Yeah, green needs work. I plan on changing it to something more fun (I hope). White actually only prevents damage to creatures, so you can spank the player all you want with your fliers or superior numbers. I'll consider changing it to preventing damage to your stuff though.

Black's wording I was unsure of, so I just defaulted to wording it like a cantrip.

>Hand
Pretty good, but I would make it 2BB personally, since 4 toughness on a deathtoucher is a stone wall in Limited. The Cycling effect is nice though.

>>43617496
>Angel
>no flying
Eh. Ascend seems too strong, even if it only triggers on blocking. If it triggered post-combat, it'd be safer.

>Herald
Possession is neat, but counters to keep track of it would be nice. You could also do the Haunt thing with it, and exile it "possessing" a creature, and "possessed" creatures are copies of the possessing creature.

>Lurker
Exhume is a card name already, and the mechanic at least somewhat mirroring what the card does is a good thing. That said, I am not sure how balanced it is, especially since the card you discard could just have Exhume on it, and then you get it cheaper than you would otherwise, following the same formula of discarding Exhume creatures?

>chosen
Justicar is overpowered. Also damage needs a source.

>Asura
Deify is cool, and an effect that already kind of exists on some cards. The only one I can recall of the top of my head is black though.

>Hopeful
Inheritor would be better if you had to place the counter on the creature with Inheritor to reign it in a little, I feel. Compares decently to Graft, but could get out of hand if not carefully designed.

>sprite
So... Chose is basically discard-fueled Regenerate? Eh. Not a fan, especially with Exhume around in the same set. And it's not very WU, since it's so close to Regen. Also, I think it has some wording issues.

(cont)
>>
>>43617496
Exhume into an exhume card into an exhume card

basically just cheaper 4 free
>>
File: RB02 Blasphemous Rite.png (275KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RB02 Blasphemous Rite.png
275KB, 375x523px
>>43617718
>Fiend
Intimidate is a dead keyword, but you are of course free to continue using it. Invade is weak on its own; changing it to a reveal instead would let you interact with those cards to do other things, which would open a lot of design space.

>Caw
Tenacity is pretty nasty. Again, need to be careful with it. I'm not really a fan but I think BR got a good mechanic with Unleash which also buffs the creature and has more tactical thought behind it.

>Scourge
Terraform... hmm. I am kinda on the fence about it. It's a neat idea, but I am not sure how good of an idea it is since making the creature into a land might open a host of issues, but maybe it doesn't. I get that it's basically filter but ask yourself: how often do I want this to show up? Cause flinging mana around to turn your creatures into dorks means you have a bunch of mana to throw around already, and tapping out is not being aggressive in RG, which are aggressive colors. I think it'd be better off as a non-keyword that shows up on some themed creatures instead or something as a mechanic.
>>
File: Viashino Rage-Stoker.png (320KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Viashino Rage-Stoker.png
320KB, 375x523px
>>43617496
If these are all for one set, then that's way too many mechanics. Especially since they're all new.

Ascend is evasion when you don't need it, and nothing when you do.

Possession shouldn't copy the possession ability.

Exhume should be more expensive than the casting cost. It's easier than you thing to get cards in the yard, so you pay extra for the card selection.

Justicar is a bad ability at any cost, since it can chain off itself.

Deify is probably better as an ability word rather than a keyword, so you can grant more than just P/T.

Inheritor should put the counters on the creature itself.

Chosen is "discard a card: regenerate"

Invade is a very small bonus.

Tenacity is alright as long as you are careful with costing things.

Terraform is too restrictive for a mechanic.
>>
File: CR04 Furystoker.png (283KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CR04 Furystoker.png
283KB, 375x523px
>>43617888
>ragestoker
I see I'm not the only one that likes that name (or things just like it). It's SUPER strong though, so I would dial it back a little. Turning every haste creature you cast into a Shock... pair it with Dash... yeesh.
>>
>>43617802
This is such a crazy card. Are the skeletons going on their respective owner's field or on yours only? And if this enters after turn 7, im pretty sure the loss of life will just end the game there. I like it though, very fun bomb.

>>43617888
I like it, wouldbuildaround/10

>>43617954
I like this one a lot too, reminds me of a pseudo-inverse bestow card. I can either use it to rush a big creature or get a 3/1 onto the field.
>>
File: RGU01 Mutable Æther.png (222KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RGU01 Mutable Æther.png
222KB, 375x523px
>>43618030
>Rite
Just on your side, otherwise it'd have to say "that card's owner puts..." I'm glad it's sufficiently crazy; that was the intent.

>Furystoker
Yeah I plan on trying to have a lot of fun with Evoke if I can, but there's an Anon who designs with it that's way better with it than I am.

Okay, so... this card. Beast Within: Counterspell Edition anyone? I entirely understand if this is way too pushed it probably is but I wanted to make it so bad
>>
File: Avatar of Unity.png (252KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
252KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Hallowed Sentinel.png (228KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hallowed Sentinel.png
228KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Viashino Raider.png (318KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Viashino Raider.png
318KB, 375x523px
>>43617802
I like it. Should clarify under whose control the tokens enter under.

>>43617954
>ragestoker
The idea was that you can give up your hasty attack for a shock instead, giving red decks some late game reach. Dropping it to 1 damage feels too low impact. Maybe target players only?

Also considering removing the "with haste" part, since it opens it up for abilities that grant temporary haste. But it doesn't signpost the haste-tribal aspect.

>Furystoker
I really like that it has flash, so you can use it on opponent's creatures.
>>
File: Metis Sublime Poet.png (244KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Metis Sublime Poet.png
244KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43618178
Tokens always enter the battlefield under the control of the controller of the spell that makes them unless otherwise stated, so I don't need to add that bit.

>ragestoker
It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but late game it turns 1/1 with haste for 1 into so many Shocks... plus like I said, I tend to balance with regards to the game as a whole so if you are not doing so, and doing a stand-alone or cube or something, do tell.

>raider
This is more in-line, I think.

>furystoker
Thanks.

>>43618181
These modes are all wildly different power levels.

>>43618159
I know it's expensive but there are so many ways to cheat it out I just dunno if it's a good idea.

>>43618168
This is cool.
>>
>>43617290
It's kinda lame that the red one kills itself.
>>
>>43618257
Yeah. I may go with different P/Ts for them but I just wanted to get the fact that I am doing Invoker cycles out there, really. Green needs work too to be more interesting. I'm open to suggestions; making it not direct damage is another possibility but I do kind of want at least one Invoker that does it.
>>
>>43618282
Well, I mean, the design purpose of the original invokers was for the very grindy nature of the format, They were meant to close out a game. So instead of the green one being a single target hugening, maybe a limited overrun? Like +2/+1 and trample or something. I assume there will be a blue one?
>>
>>43617718
>>43617888
Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify that I want this set to be very strong and high power level, so the potential to do gamebreaking chains is not a huge problem for me, as long as each color has their own answer.

>Ascend
How about "Whenever this creature becomes tapped, etc."

>Possession
Possession creatures are my little control helpers, if you have the spare mana and you dont want to lose a blocker you can use the possession cost to imprint it on another creature or token. Keeping the imprint ability as it transfers is somewhat what I wanted, however I like the idea of exiling it onto a "possessed" target.

>Exhume
I like the idea of chaining exhume cards after another, i think it would make a fun archetype, however I definitely see the potential for snowballing. I'll definitely make the ability more costly proportional to the creatures strength.

>Justicar
Ok how do I fix this? How could I make a reasonable trigger that burns a reasonable amount?

>Deify
I can tune this to have monstrosity like effects, such as "When x becomes monstrous, Y".

>Inheritor
I agree, ill make it so only this card gets the counters

>Chosen
Yes its Discard:Regen, on a U/W. Is that such a huge problem? If so, how could I fix it?

>Invade
The original was an evil scry. "Look at the top 2 cards of opponents library. Put them back in any order." Is this better? Its supposed to be a type of control helper, see what the opponent is drawing, know how to counter it.

>Tenacity
Seems this is acceptable

>Terraform
The idea was to work with Green's ability of gaining a buff when no other creatures are present by turning it into a land for a turn. However it can also be used to ramp for big Red and Green finishers. But I agree, its the most niche of the keywords, its somewhat awkward. ill think of a G/R alternative to do what im trying to do.

thx again
>>
>>43618168
I love this card!

>>43618159
Very OP

>>43618178
I like it. A good utility card for R, but weak enough to be fair.

>>43618181
Yeah this card is kinda all over the place. Beware of 4 colored mana costs.
>>
>>43618383
You need to make the discard part of the cost of exhuming as well, so you can't do it on an empty hand
>>
>>43618368
Yeah maybe I lost that in translation. I'll take another look at them and see what I can do. Black is fine the way it is though I think, but we'll see about that one too.
>>
File: CW12.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CW12.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
Welp, I'm finally making an attempt at a set again.

Formidable is the green white mechanic, as it's pretty much the perfect bridge between lotsa little guys and chunky big guys.
>>
File: 1447395309531946.png (318KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1447395309531946.png
318KB, 375x523px
Have a Doran variant. I'm aware that this nerfs tokens, Delver, and pump spells, but here ya go.
>>
>>43618453
Doesnt it already do that. (If you do, discard a card.)
>>
>>43618668
No, because you've already cast it by the time the discard happens
>>
File: UB02 Pestilent Fog.png (231KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UB02 Pestilent Fog.png
231KB, 375x523px
>>43618590
I can see Formidable being okay for green and white as a shared mechanic in a set. It makes a certain amount of sense to me. My only issue is that WotC used it on creatures only, so I have to wonder if that was for a reason.

>>43618648
I dunno if I'd play it but I can see it appealing to some. Not sure about the colors though, since B and G tend to be the colors with the highest CMC creatures, right? With U behind them?
>>
File: test.jpg (287KB, 1508x523px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
287KB, 1508x523px
A bunch of LARPers I play with like to try and design custom cards based on things from our game and they're mostly terrible. I'm trying my hand at adapting some spells, monsters, items, locations, skills, and notable PCs into cards that don't suck.

This is the "Charms" school of magic from the game (minus the spells that I just copied existing cards for and gave new names to).

It's my first time actually posting in one of these threads. Be gentle.
>>
>>43618855
>fall asleep
Strictly better Crippling Chill. Should cost 2U.

>speak the truth
This seems fine.

>silent and mute
You use contractions in MtG to save space. Seems pretty strong but not outrageous.

>soul slave
no period in "Enchant creature", also no need to capitalize anything but the first word in that and the keyword typelines.

Other than that, it's pretty strong, and very good. Might be too good given that it has Flash.

The flavor text on all these are so corny I almost can't stand it, but at least they seem like something you'd do at a LARP.
>>
File: CW03.jpg (27KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CW03.jpg
27KB, 375x523px
>>43618846
>My only issue is that WotC used it on creatures only, so I have to wonder if that was for a reason.

As far as I know, I don't think it was. Kinda like how overload was all on things you control, even though it could have been used on symmetrical effects. Then again, spell mastery was put only on instants and sorceries for a specific reason so, iunno. I don't see any immediate problems with it, I guess.

>Pestilent Fog
Hey! It's radiance! I think this compares too favorably to Infest to stay at 1BB.
>>
File: Impressive Rebuttal.png (229KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Impressive Rebuttal.png
229KB, 375x523px
>>43618124
One thing holding it back is that GU is a typically terrible control color pair, and eternal formats have better counterspells.

>>43618168
Flying before vigilance. Probably needs double white if it's a 2/2.

>>43618648
Scornful Egoist is online.

>>43618846
Hard to judge how often this is one sided.
>>
>>43618946
Wasn't familiar with Crippling Chill. Thanks.

Soul Slave I was aiming to make really powerful since in our game it's considered "Lost Magic" and is the top end of mind control. If it hits you it lasts for an entire month. The next most powerful spell only lasts for an hour. It could stand to lose Flash, though. It doesn't really fit the flavor anyway.

The flavor text is just the spell verbals we use in game.
>>
>>43618974
>formidable
Well, we'll see I guess. I'm certainly no MaRo.

>fog
Yeah I was looking at Echoing Decay when I made it, but I think it's too overboard vs matchups where the opponent has no black, as Infest is proving. What I get for not looking at the right cards. I'll tinker with it some.

>CW03
Seems fine to me; I think there's a similar creature already?

>>43619050
>mutable
Well then I am happy to be able to keep it around.

>fog
Yeah, gonna tinker with it.

>rebuttal
Hm. I feel like this is in a strange spot where UU is too much and 1U is too little.

>>43619067
Getting rid of Flash would bring it into line, I think.
>>
File: incomplete_cycle.jpg (196KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
incomplete_cycle.jpg
196KB, 1125x523px
Tested the black card in legacy storm and it actually seemed totally safe, seems weak for other archetypes so I might buff its non-combo aspects (I could see it for sb aggro against control maybe?).
Not sure if I like the upheaval's synergy with suspended cards, might make it return suspended cards to their owner's hands too.
Would like to complete the cycle but have no idea what to do for white or red.
Also name suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>>43618124
That card is practically (if not entirely) unplayable actually.
>>
File: CU02.jpg (30KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CU02.jpg
30KB, 375x523px
>>43618124
You are very scared of blue, aren't you?
>>
File: CB05 Pestilent Fog.png (230KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CB05 Pestilent Fog.png
230KB, 375x523px
>>43619169
>bargain
I feel like this would be more fun as an instant that functioned like Lightning Storm, and you can only activate the ability while it's on the stack, so snap decisions have to be made. It'd feel more like a heated bargaining session to me.

>uplift
Oh yeah, this is a cycle. Hm. Well, at least this one is an instant, so I don't feel so bad suggesting it about the last one. Upheval is a sorcery and 4UU, but it also doesn't give you the first chance to play something afterwards, it gives that to the opponent, so it might be fine.

>tilling's
Hm. Not too sure this is something I'd want to play, since it gives your opponent a serious leg up.

>card
Decided to try this instead, and came up with the wonderful idea of a cycle of them, a la Chain Lightning.
>>
>>43619241
Seriously? Huh.

>>43619281
Not at all, it's actually one of my favorite colors. I just tend to nerf it because I think it's too good as it is currently. Plus this set is... strange. I'm sure someone will get what I'm doing eventually as I post cards. Well, what can I do to improve it? I would like it to be useful, if not Modern-playable.

>CU02
I think that's a bit too much for a common.
>>
>>43619336
>>CU02

I'm comparing it to Akroan Skyguard. It's a bit more explosive but the flying is largely better, I think.

As for the counterspell, It's tough since it's a gold card so it can't possibly get any cheaper. It might be as simple as making the token a 2/2 wolf.
>>
>>43619476
I could do that. If it's just as simple as nerfing the token that's fine by me.

>CU02
Hm. It's gonna take me a while to get used to the power level that's acceptable for low-cost creatures these days at common. I'm an old fart.
>>
File: Turn to waste.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Turn to waste.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Thoughts?
>>
File: Placeholder2.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Placeholder2.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
Wanted to try making a PW with X in it's mana cost, but it feels kinda off.
>>
>>43618159

So first you get a myojin of life's web effect, then you get a permanent insurrection

That's two 8 drop bombs stapled to this 8 drop creature
>>
>>43619336
>Seriously? Huh.
OK, so your card is pretty obviously terribad against aggro as it counters what will be at most the equivalent of a 5/5 and gives them a 3/3. Midrange is a bit more ambiguous but still obviously worse than a cancel
The only reason why swan song is playable is because it is useful in matchups where your opponent having a 2/2 is totally unimportant (usually combo vs control or other combo). So your card would have the most potential vs creatureless decks... where it is basically a strictly worse version of negate.
>>43619510
>If it's just as simple as nerfing the token that's fine by me.
Might be tricky. I think 2/2 is almost certainly too strong and 1 power is probably too weak.
>>43619577
Seems like a pretty strong sideboard card for some decks. I really love the 'flow' that the second ability has with the third, disappoints me that it doesn't have it with the first ability.
I'm personally going to steal this card with the first ability getting noncreature cards from a graveyard. You want to be credited somehow?
>>43619618
That's cuz it's basically a sorcery. Also way too good.
>>
>>43619618
The problem is that there isn't really a reason not to go all in on the X immediately. So the loyalty counters thing is really just an obtuse middle man for what is a modal sorcery.
>>
>>43619786
Well shit. I really liked the idea of a 2-mana hard counter that pulled a Beast Within on an opponent's spell. That's a serious drag. What you say makes sense though. I'll have to look into alternatives. I wonder if refunding mana is something I could do with it instead.
>>
File: Exion the Flickering Flame.png (279KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Exion the Flickering Flame.png
279KB, 375x523px
>>43619618
I'm fairly certain you could put X in the loyalty box.
>>
>>43619845
>I really liked the idea of a 2-mana hard counter that pulled a Beast Within on an opponent's spell.
You could probably make it a 1/1 if you made it a mega-mana leak rather than a hard counter, or you could make the spell cantrip and have a larger creature (and likely a larger mana cost).
>I wonder if refunding mana is something I could do with it instead.
This idea has been done so many times before in the last couple of weeks it's somewhat strange.
>>43619892
I like it better than most planeswalkers, mostly because it feels nothing like a planeswalker though.
>>
>>43619577
>>43619786
You don't need to credit me, but thanks for the feedback.
>>
>>43619940
>refunding mana
You know what? You're right. I do remember seeing cards like that. I didn't really want to make it a Mana Leak so I guess it's pretty irredeemable at 2 mana. That's disappointing. Well, unless I bandwagon it, but returning mana is certainly a GU thing to do as far as counterspells go. I'll think about it and work on other stuff in the meantime.

>>43619892
This is pretty cool.

>>43619618
I'm kinda with everyone else on this; it doesn't feel like anything other than a modal X spell.

>>43619577
"When ~ enters the battlefield..."
That said I don't really care for it myself but maybe I don't have the vision to use it correctly.
>>
File: gold uncommons.jpg (713KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
gold uncommons.jpg
713KB, 1875x1046px
Alright, so this is a compilation I've made for an idea of what each color combination is going to be up to.

That being said, these are probably going to be the only gold cards in the set, unless I also make a handful of rares or mythics gold.

No, there are not custom keywords.
>>
>>43620228
I dunno, Flurry seems custom to me.
>>
>>43620284

Well fuck me in the ass
>>
File: Tavastar Empyreal Architect.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tavastar Empyreal Architect.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43620309
I'll pass, but you're basically stuck with Overload, Prowess, or Replicate.
>>
>>43620384

That is....completely broken
>>
>>43620429

Nah, I'm keeping flurry. No custom keywords/ability words wasn't a design goal or anything, I'm just very tired and misspoke.

I like flurry because it's like a storm-lite. Instead of scaling and getting out of hand, it's just an on or off switch for if you've cast another spell or not.
>>
File: Mono Commanders.png (2MB, 1876x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mono Commanders.png
2MB, 1876x523px
Slowly working on designing a commander for each color combination.
>>
File: Scroll of Ephara.png (237KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scroll of Ephara.png
237KB, 375x523px
>>43620495
My eyes. That font. Also, "Desecrator".
>>
>>43620459
Ah, well fair enough then. Carry on, my friend.

>>43620495
>heart of nature
Anon, please no. That way lies madness.

>>43620512
I was not that impressed with this at first glance but then I saw that it triggered off any creature, not just yours, and that makes it much MUCH better.
>>
>>43620512
So infinite tokens for 3 mana?
Broken as fuck.
>>
>>43620495
Part 2

>>43620512
Thanks for catching that. I would change it if I could figure out how to.
>>
>>43620565
Oh yeah, Splinter Twin. Though it already has Deceiver Exarch so... is it really that much worse?
>>
File: Dual Commanders.png (3MB, 3751x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dual Commanders.png
3MB, 3751x523px
>>43620568
Forgot image, my bad.
>>
>>43620595
Okay, for the sake of our eyeballs and not having to open the image in a separate tab, next time you use photojoiner, keep it to 5 cards per row, please.
>>
>>43620568
The font is called Beleren. You can get it here.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/msetemps/files/Fonts%20-%20Magic%20Templates.zip/download

>>43620580
>>43620565
How about "Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield"?
>>
>>43620612
Well since it seems the issue is tokens, then yeah, I guess?
>>
>>43620609
Well I'll be damned, never even noticed that in the OP. Sorry about that.

>>43620612
Thanks.
>>
>>43620595
WU should just draw one card, rather than that many.

WB is an interesting build around.

BU, BR and BG are neat but boring, since its just endless tutors.

Are there enough Oozes to make an Ooze tribal deck?
>>
File: Mitoj Genesis Eternal.png (298KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mitoj Genesis Eternal.png
298KB, 375x523px
The oozes have been summoned.
>>
>>43622288
This can't be 3 mana. It's at worst, duplicates a nonland permanent as a 1/1 Ooze. The chance it can repeat this a lot makes it valid at 4 mana like most clones.
Cool concept over all though.
>>
>>43622288
Should be 4 mana, or not trigger on entry.
>>
File: Cloak of Kruphix.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cloak of Kruphix.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>43622411
>>43622549
Bumped him to 4.
>>
>>43620512
I don't think you need the lifegain here. Being able to save your creatures from removal and re-trigger etb effects should be a large enough boon.

>>43622564
I like that the pump counts the number of cards in hand, but my hunch is that it should cost 1 more.
>>
File: Oozy Oozeborn.png (218KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Oozy Oozeborn.png
218KB, 375x523px
Stealth simic edition?
>>
File: Julia Florentine.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Julia Florentine.png
243KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43622849
>that chest
I like it
>>43622864
Her ult seems underpowered.
>>
>>43617290
All are probably overcosted, look at the other invokers for example. The red one kills itself and the white one is pretty bad.
Also the flavor texts are just really tryhard funny.
>>
File: Zin Herald of the End.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Zin Herald of the End.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Can someone gauge this powerlevel? Seems to me like the cost is enough to warrant the effect.
>>
>>43622912
You could probably put that effect onto without the drawback. WURBG and 5 permanents from you for a boardclear? Pretty shit card.
>>
File: Poliwiz.png (198KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Poliwiz.png
198KB, 375x523px
>>43622901
>Her ult seems underpowered.
Bump up the starting loyalty to 4? So that it's less an ultimate and more of a delayed value option. Another option was an emblem that let you flash creatures in.

>>43622912
>wings but no flying
Perhaps if you opened it up to exiling any five permanent instead of all creatures.
>>
File: Axe of Mogis.png (309KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Axe of Mogis.png
309KB, 375x523px
Not sure about the concept on this.

>>43622799
Bumped Scroll lifegain down to 1. Bumped Cloak activation cost up to 2GU.
>>
File: Epic Manifestation.png (239KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Epic Manifestation.png
239KB, 375x523px
>>43623024
The activated ability does a black thing and a red thing, but it doesn't feel like a black/red thing. Or like something the God of Slaughter would care about (he wants things dead - but once they are, that's someone else problem).

Also, shift+enter for line breaks with no spacing.
>>
>>43623114
Pretty sure the new modal layout uses half-height spaces between modes. They're slightly closer than the spaces between abilities.
>>
>>43620384
Why did you make zur red, indestructible, and also pull out artifacts?
>>
>>43622849
I think it should be "gains hexproof" instead of "except it has hexproof". Great card, though can be a little dangerous.
>>
>>43620595
>Cards you own have transmute
YIKES I LIKE YO-
>Thjeir transmute cost is equal to their cmc
Oh c'mon, make it something like UUB or UUBB
>>
File: Axe of Mogis.png (301KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Axe of Mogis.png
301KB, 375x523px
Now more Mogis-y.
>>
File: Mycon Sage.png (292KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mycon Sage.png
292KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43622908
Yeah as I've said they are being reworked.
>>
File: Cone of Cold.png (238KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cone of Cold.png
238KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43626432
Crippling Chill says hi.
>>
>>43620228
The gw one shouldn't give haste
>>
>>43622864
That first ability is neither blue nor green
>>
>>43621408
For WU, fair enough on the card draw.

Having the idea for WB is what inspired me to do a full cycle.

Yeah, BR and BG sort of feel like cop-outs, still trying to find interesting space for those.

There are 14 legal to run Ooze creatures, 6 legal to run spells that make Ooze tokens, and 9 legal to run changeling spells. So not a ton, but there are plenty of under-supported tribes like that in commander.

>>43623608
You know what, fair enough. Changing it to cost U/B U/B U/B.
>>
>>43626432
I'd change it so you aren't tapping down two creatures into different states. Also all the "cone" spells (Cone of Flame, Incremental Growth/Blight, Bestial Menace) have gone in increasing order.

>Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. Return another target creature to its owner's hand. Put a third target creature on top of its owner's library.

Also comparing it to Crippling Chill is p. dumb.
>>
>>43627151
It's the same cost and affects one creature, although it does cantrip, so one of the two additional effects in place of the draw is fine, but both is too much utility on one card. Costing, son. Learn it. Also use complete words when every other word you have typed is also complete. It looks retarded.
>>
>>43627615
"Crippling Chill says hi" was ambiguous; I thought you were suggesting the custom was worse rather than better. It definitely needs to cost more.

>nitpicking informal internet typing
Whatever floats your goat I guess.
>>
>>43627715
I didn't see you make mention of increasing the cost in your original statement. But if you think so, then I guess we're not at odds after all.
>>
Would MtG have been more interesting if there was a stat specifically for determining how difficult it is to interact with something? Things like "Destroy target creature with resilience 4 or less" for all removal.
>>
File: 65.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
65.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>43628775
You mean something like... toughness?
>>
>>43628804
Toughness doesn't stop doomblade and non-creature things don't have toughness.
>>
File: 141.jpg (78KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
78KB, 312x445px
>>43628827
So converted mana cost then?
>>
>>43628854
Tokens
>>
>>43628946
That's a huge amount of added complexity for very little new design space.
>>
>>43628946
Just give the card a half hexproof. something like "~ can't be target of spells with converted mana cost 3 or less."
>>
File: Fire Drill.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Drill.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
This is more powerful than lightning bolt.
>>
>>43629648
So... tap a Mountain, bounce it, cast this. This is bad early because it bones your tempo, but is good late because scry and you don't care about having more than four lands on the field, ever, as red.

So, no it isn't. It's a sidegrade at best.
>>
>>43629648
Sorcery though.
>>
>>43622864
That +1 is so sexy I might steal it. It seems like a WB thing, but you could probably squeeze it into GU because shapeshifting.

The ult could probably be a -4,but that would need to be playtested.

Overall, I really like it. It's interesting, unique, relatively balanced, and not a giant pile of words.
>>
>>43629999
You could not. Only black can subtract toughness, except when it's as a drawback to giving power in which case red can too
>>
File: Morphling.jpg (30KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Morphling.jpg
30KB, 223x311px
>>43630720
>>
>>43630768
That only does it to itslef
>>
>>43630720
Meddling with P/T feels very Simic, at least flavorfully.

Power/toughness changes are probably still in blue's share of the color pie - see Defensive Stance, Aetherling, Water Servant.
Green kind of gets it with Alpha Kavu, but that's reaching back to Planeshift.

Piracy Charm is the best example for a +P/-T effect in Blue, and that colorshifted. So you're probably right. at least mechanically. I think the rules can be stretched for a mythic planeswalker.
>>
>>43629999
>>43630720
>>43630768
>>43630846
>>43630921
Blue creatures are allowed to do it to themselves. Red can do it to itself and to other creatures. Black typically does not have creatures that do it to themselves, but could select its own creatures as a target for the effects it does get. Green doesn't get it at all in the Modern era.

So sadly, that +1 cannot be GU unless you ignore the pie. Which, you can do, just don't expect anyone to like it.
>>
>>43630950
It only targets your own creature.
>>
>>43630950

The +1 seems like a blue ability to me. You're right that it's not green, but blue getting a permanent that can give flowstone to a creature you control is fine.
>>
>>43630950
It's also worth noting that blue only ever does even exchange rates for this
>>
>>43630950
Also, isn't the art in that card art of that one bitch wot fucked that one six fingered dude in that one really popular game about giant firebreathing lizards and their homes?
>>
>>43631045
"your creature" and "itself" are different.

>>43631144
It's red, actually.

>>43631147
yep. also true

>>43631179
no idea
>>
>>43631219

Flowstone is in blue too, bub.

>"your creature" and "itself" are different.

not enough in this case to be any more than pointless niggling
>>
>>43632186
It really is though. Hence why people bitch about blue exiling or destroying or whatevering creatures to change them into other things.

Flowstoning is in blue as long as the creature is doing it to itself. Find me a modern example of blue flowstoning other creatures with no red involved and I will give you a pat on the head. Nuance is a very key feature in MtG, and ignoring it can lead to some shady justifications for things. Of course, if you don't want to follow the pie, be my guest. You're certainly not beholden to it unless you want your cards to be taken seriously.
>>
>>43632430
>You're certainly not beholden to it unless you want your cards to be taken seriously.

Holy shit are you a sassy one
>>
File: Toku the Questling.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Toku the Questling.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43634121
Adorable/10, but not terribly good. I'd make it a 3/3 because the original two were 4/4s for 4. That'd do a lot to make it better, and still leave it feeling like a "baby".
>>
File: Ætherized Atmosphere.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherized Atmosphere.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Updated version of something I submitted to an earlier customs thread
>>
>>43635214
>get +X/+X
>>
>>43635466
> get +X/+X until end of turn

that way it doesn't turn exponential
>>
>>43635798
I was just correcting his grammar. And no, it wouldn't. Anthems like that just apply once, see things like Glorious Anthem. The anthem is just variable based on the number of counters in this case.
>>
File: Uncast.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uncast.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
File: no-name.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
no-name.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>43635214

You seriously need to get rid of the flavor text on that card. There is not enough room.

Also, since all creatures are getting an equal boost, this doesn't really do much to change how a combat would work out. It's basically a very expensive stone rain in two colors, that gives your opponent a turn to attack with a boosted team, for any that don't get blocked.
>>
>>43636137
Good if your opponent has no cards in his hand. Otherwise it's just a worse Remand.
>>
>>43636178
Kinda. Remand is better tempo and in general, but in the niche situation where you really do have to stop a specific spell from going off, that card is better.
>>
File: Julia Florentine.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Julia Florentine.png
243KB, 375x523px
I assume this fixes everything and makes it totes GU.
>>
>>43636438
The +1 feels more RW now, since red tends to favor pure power buffs, and white pure toughness.
>>
File: index.jpg (137KB, 624x445px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
137KB, 624x445px
>>43636446
All right then. +2/+1 and +1/+2 it is.
>>
>>43633083
You can call him whatever, he is right about it.
>>
>>43636470
I think that would be better.
>>
>>43636470
I did say "tends"; I think you are a bit too invested in your card if you're gonna get testy over someone simply pointing out design trends. I never once said blue nor green can buff pure power, nor blue or green buff pure toughness either. In fact, green famously buffs pure power on one of its best Auras, Rancor. So chill man.

That said, why not just +2/+2? Both colors actually do that amount quite often. Or just do something other than P/T modification? Creatures have other attributes you know.
>>
>>43636501
nah, +2/+2 is white. r&d has been trying to differentiate green from white by giving green the bigger buffs. so he would have to use +3/+3 (giant's growth)
>>
File: Lawmage Inquisitor.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lawmage Inquisitor.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Thoughts?
>>
>>43636603
Green has always given bigger buffs on average; that's kind of the color's shtick, along with those buffs being even P/T typically as well. +2/+2 is a pretty ubiquitous buff that all colors see often enough that it'd fit in any of them which is why I suggested it. Of course, +1/+1 is even more ubiquitous, if that's the name of the game. Still, I'd rather actually see that PW do something that didn't involve P/T, it'd be a nice change from the usual fare.

>>43636663
Silencing someone every time a creature attacks is fine at rare, but do you think it'd be fair at common? Typically keywords have to be able to exist at all rarities, though there are a few exceptions (Epic being the one that comes to mind first, with Miracle along for the ride). Also, work a bit on your cost formatting; mana cost, then tap, then other costs, then effect.
>>
I figure this is the best place to ask since MSE is used primarily.

Does anyone know of a place that I can download the font Vega SH Light? I'd rather not shell out $25 for a license to use this font, but I need it to make proxies for Weiss.
>>
>>43636864
Dunno if this one is free but it has a non-pay download button:

https://www.acidfonts.com/typeface/sg_vega_sh_light.htm
>>
so, /ccg/, I have been awake for a retardedly long time, and at some point in my delirium, began loading up a bunch of images from random locations on my computer to cards

I believe the term here on /tg/ is cheesecake

I have thirty of them, I'm going to try and make them passable cards

if I don't ever come back, assume something hilarious happened
>>
>>43636911
>cheesecake cards
Proceed.
>>
>>43636904
Thanks, but that download button leads to where you can buy it.
>>
>>43636922
If you check some free font sites they may have a slightly altered free version of the same font. I have run into that countless times, and if you're just making legit proxies and not counterfeit stuff that should be fine.

Godspeed in your search.
>>
>>43636952
Thanks anon. After 3 hours of searching, I'm gonna bite the bullet and use this one last big bulk torrent. To my knowledge, this font existed back in 2010 and this torrent was compiled in 2011. If this does not house the fonts, I'll just have to buy the font (or keep using my current Futura Bk BT).

And yeah these are legit proxies. I'm doing them because the cards themselves are in Japanese only, and I want to play them in English, while also having them readable by my opponents. I couldn't counterfeit them because they do not exist in English. At all.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-14+at+07.11.16).png (78KB, 1216x602px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-14+at+07.11.16).png
78KB, 1216x602px
>>43636986
Forgot my image l0l
>>
>>43636993
That's a lot of fonts.
>>
>>43636917
I'm actually making good progress through this madness, so I guess it's time to start posting teasers and possibly seeing what direction people like for certain cards

Take a 1UB creature with Dethrone, for instance. Their second ability can be one of the following:
1. Reward player for having the highest life total by bestowing effects while you have the highest life.
2. Reward player for having the least amount of life, by bestowing effects when their life total is the lowest or tied for lowest. May become 1BR.
3. Reward player for triggering Dethrone by giving a Karlov-esque "remove +1/+1 counters" effect.
>>
File: Volkswagen 9.jpg (528KB, 1767x626px) Image search: [Google]
Volkswagen 9.jpg
528KB, 1767x626px
>>43636952
The results were a failure. But I managed to find two fonts that mimic the normal typeface and the bold typeface.

For rules text I was able to find Volkswagen Serial Light. The bold however doesn't properly mimic authentic english cards.

For the traits (equivalent to Type) I found VI Lam Anh. The bold is a perfect match, and the normal font is a perfect match, though the alignment is off-center vertically.

However since I am placing english ruling text onto Japanese cards, the issue of space arises, so I have to either cut words or cut font size in my restricted space. FORTUNATELY MSE supports font sizes with decimals, because 9 has too thin bold, 10 has the font too big, and 9.5 oddly enough has Normal font 9's size and font 10's boldness.

Here's a comparison of the fonts. Spoilered because it isn't exactly on-topic, despite this being custom card general.

I wonder if I can ghetto rig MSE to allow me to use two fonts in the same field. One for bold, one for everything else.
>>
>>43637944
To me Volks9.5 is the most aesthetic. What's an original look like?
>>
File: image.jpg (218KB, 900x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218KB, 900x1440px
>>43637988
Swiped off ebay.
>>
File: CHAW40-E009 U.jpg (68KB, 448x626px) Image search: [Google]
CHAW40-E009 U.jpg
68KB, 448x626px
>>43637944
Oh bad representation. Turns out Vi Lam10 is -the- size for proper bold font in the ruling text. However this results in the rules text being two lines too big.
>>
File: Graveless Rioter.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Graveless Rioter.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>43636663
He feels pretty strong with how much he is doing all at once. I would consider making Enforce an ability that has a number or a color so it would be like:
>Enforce 2 (As long as this creature is attacking or blocking, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities that cost 2)
Or
>Enforce Red (As long as this creature is attacking or blocking, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities that are red or from red sources.)

It would tone down the ability and allow diversity in its use.
>>
File: Shape Fate.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shape Fate.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43637242
>>43636911
I'm about six cards away from complete now. Thirty cards in total. None of them are really meant to go together or showcase anything radically new, except for maybe a couple, you'll know them when you see them. I'll be photojoining the whole set for your convenience.
>>
File: fuckhueg.jpg (2MB, 2250x2615px) Image search: [Google]
fuckhueg.jpg
2MB, 2250x2615px
>>43638705
It's done.

It's fucking done.

I need to sleep.
>>
>>43618159
compare this to maelstrom wanderer
>>
File: cool flavor text and op cards.png (2MB, 1888x524px) Image search: [Google]
cool flavor text and op cards.png
2MB, 1888x524px
Mostly for flavor text.
>>
File: Xilla V1.jpg (2MB, 1883x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Xilla V1.jpg
2MB, 1883x2100px
For those who stumble on this thread later tonight, I need some feedback on this set im developing. If anyone cares about the setting, its an ancient plane set a millennia after a cataclysm wiped out most of its inhabitants. Civilizations disappeared, records were lost, and monstrous immortal deities emerged across the barren land. Exactly what these beings are and what the final outcome will be is played out during the set.

Here are a set of C, U, R, and MR with mechanics.
>>
File: Xilla V2.jpg (2MB, 1888x2102px) Image search: [Google]
Xilla V2.jpg
2MB, 1888x2102px
>>43640981
Part 2, more mono uncommons and the Ascended with their mechanics. I wanted this set to be as overpowered and strong as it can be, so if you get the right draws you can almost always end the game turn 7 or 8. Theres also lot of synergy with allied colors and shards.

So feedback on whether there's anything to salvageable here and if its worth me investing in. Thanks ahead of time.
>>
>>43640981
Sunburst Lion should be a Cat. Nightshroom should be a Fungi. There's no A in Leech. Loyal Mercenary should be a Human Mercenary. Reja's Chosen, Regent of the Last Kingdom, and Guardians of the Grove should be Humans. "Radix" is a green-affiliated location on Mirrodin, you should probably choose a different name. Only the first word of a keyword is capitalized, even in a comma-separated list of keywords. Double strike is two words, in addition to not being a green keyword. Noncreature isn't hyphenated. "Does not" and "cannot" should be contractions. And that last row is a crime against apostrophes.

>>43641319
Terren Survivor, Wuku Master, Rindell Archer, Life's Hopeful, and Cass's Disciple should be Humans (or whatever race they're supposed to be). Hellion has two Ls. Creature types are always capitalized. The tap symbol comes after mana costs. Numbers less than 100 in rules text should be number words instead of digits unless they're P/T values. Ruka's Exile should be a Giant.
>>
File: Zin Herald of the End.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Zin Herald of the End.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43641511
Thank you! this is exacty what I was looking for, now I can polish everyone up.
>"Radix" is a green-affiliated location on Mirrodin, you should probably choose a different name.
Was not aware of this, will change.
> And that last row is a crime against apostrophes.
I'll consider changing it if its a huge eyesore, but as it stands the apostrophes are a stylistic choice.
And my spelling sucks so thank you for catching all the mistakes.

Heres another Mythic
>>
File: Haunted Airship.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Haunted Airship.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>43641319
Invade is already a keyword named fateseal.
Chosen and terraform seem way too strong.
Inheritor and tenacity are fine.
>>
>>43640981
turn four win with aya'vollu and mogg fanatic.
>>
>>43640981
> indestructible hexproof creature

I implore you to think this through
>>
>>43641319
Invade is just fateseal and is a bad idea
>>
>>43640981
>>43641319
Going for high power is fine, but you have way too much disparity between rarity. The first person to land a rare or mythic is most likely going to win
>>
>>43642091
I'd prefer Spirit over Ghost for more tribal interaction
>>
File: Æther Auditor.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Æther Auditor.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
How broken is this.
>>
File: Sturdy Beast.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sturdy Beast.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>43629582
My first thought before having a whole new stat was this. The main thing was preventing the tempo loss from cheap spot removal.
>>
File: Artificial Dead.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Artificial Dead.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43643237
exchange "anything" for "a source", and use MSE pseudo coding for "this creature's total resilience" to "{param1}"
>>
>>43643208
>burn players gets to cast their entire hand
>storm players gets an absurd amount of mana
>>
>>43644368
>exchange "anything" for "a source"
Reminder text doesn't need formal wording, and this is the same wording protection's reminder text uses.

>and use MSE pseudo coding for "this creature's total resilience" to "{param1}"
That doesn't produce the same effect if something has multiple instances of resilience.
>>
File: Sanctioned Assassin.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sanctioned Assassin.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Death Knight.png (276KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Death Knight.png
276KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43644490
>Reminder text doesn't need formal wording
But it is always good practice, or you will end up with stuff like new convoke. You can also use "spells and abilities" if you want to be less formal, but still being specific.

>That doesn't produce the same effect if something has multiple instances of resilience.
Now I think this adds too much comlexity in exchange for almost nothing.
>>
File: CHAW40-013 U.jpg (67KB, 448x626px) Image search: [Google]
CHAW40-013 U.jpg
67KB, 448x626px
>>43637944
Ghetto rig successful. Thanks for letting me blog my progress mtg guys
>>
>>43642781
>turn four win with aya'vollu and mogg fanatic.
Good
>>43642939
>I implore you to think this through
Hm, your right, i'll give it reach instead.
>>43643084
>Going for high power is fine, but you have way too much disparity between rarity. The first person to land a rare or mythic is most likely going to win
I'm almost OK with the second part but i'll try to balance the rares a little better.
>>43642091
>Chosen and terraform seem way too strong.
You run out of card draws eventually, your exchanging card advantage to keep a creature on the board. And Green is all about ramp, so u can upgrade your lands or sac creatures to build a manabase.
>>43643010
>Invade is just fateseal and is a bad idea
I'm thinking about changing it to "You may have your opponent discard the top X cards of his library. If you dont, place those cards at the bottom of his library in any order."

Thx for the feedback
>>
How do I cost cards with Sunburst?
>>
>>43645797
Just give up. Sunburst is kind of crappy.
>>
>>43645797
You use the new version from BfZ.
>>
File: Death.png (215KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Death.png
215KB, 375x523px
Thinking of making a custom cube
Most of them will be vidya/anime related
some will be power creeped as fuck
>>
>>43646418
The fuck
>>
>>43646563
It would be part of a constrained custom cube, so it wouldn't be necessarily bad that certain cards are absolutely broken if there only exists a single 1 in the entire cube and it might not even show up in a draft.
>>
>>43646418
>Saitaman MtG cube

Post more plz
>>
File: RB01 Patron Lich.png (239KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RB01 Patron Lich.png
239KB, 375x523px
This might be a bit weak compared to Xathrid Necromancer, but I think the fact that the tokens don't enter tapped and the creature making them is a bigger body might make it okay.

Also, posting necros to necro the thread. I can't be the only one around on a Saturday night.
>>
File: Torin.png (265KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Torin.png
265KB, 375x523px
Made this guy after seeing the new Boros legends in the precon and thinking about what I would have liked to have seen instead. Spitemare's and Reckoner's ability feels really WR to me so I wanted to try and work out how it might work as an activated ability for a legend. Are the CMC, the ability's cost and it's restrictions fair? Maybe restrict it a bit more and make it "target player" only, like Mogg Maniac? Drop Shroud?
>>
File: UUR01 Rousing Dismissal.png (231KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UUR01 Rousing Dismissal.png
231KB, 375x523px
>>43650557
Shroud seems a bit odd, but it has the added effect of making him immune to his own ability, so he's not a very good Voltron general that way. However, he's pretty strong as an aggro enabler, so he's still worth running. He comes off as a bit spendy but the Shroud makes him a bother since he can just keep on making all your attackers painful to block, and spot removal doesn't work, so he might force an opponent to board wipe before they are ready.

I think he needs to be playtested, but my last note is that white tends to give shroud and/or hexproof based on you controlling other creatures, so you might want to make it so if you have other creatures, he has shroud, and if not, then he doesn't, which kinda fits his theme, since when he's alone, he can target himself with his ability and go out like a champ.
>>
File: Link Chosen of Courage.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Link Chosen of Courage.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
I've been thinking about doing a Zelda set. What do you guys think of this guy?
>>
>>43650798
here, have another.
>>
>>43650798
Pretty beefy. The equipment thing might be a bit much but the concept is pretty good. Regarding doing a MtG set based on another IP, I have to admit I'm not much of a fan, but if it's done well, then more power to you Anon. I'm not gonna skip over your cards because of it.

Speaking of things that might be a bit much... I designed this without looking at Gatherer, to see what would happen. I am just curious how well or poorly I did.
>>
>>43650826
1 mana to draw a card every turn? Bit much
>>
File: RG01 Miragewood Nexist.png (281KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RG01 Miragewood Nexist.png
281KB, 375x523px
Oh wait... wow. I'm a moron. I left the activation cost 1 instead of making it G... fuck. It's supposed to cost G. Here we go. Wow that was bad.
>>
>>43650646
Thanks for the feedback. I thought Shroud would be a good fit because I was concerned that being able to target himself with his ability might make him a little too versatile, and changing the wording of the ability to "target attacking creature other than Torin" made it a bit too wordy. I think being able to target opponent's creatures as well as your own and even being able to inflict damage to yourself if you really want to gives the player plenty of options and being able to take him the voltron route just seems to me to be pushing it a bit too far.

Like that counter by the way, looks really solid to me without being too pushed.
>>
>>43650826
The "1: Add W, U, B, or R" part is pretty pointless, the card just reads "draw a card every turn"

which is very strong
>>
File: Octorok.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Octorok.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>43650822
WOAH WHOOPS. Wrong version of this card. Definitely needed a nerf, this is the current version.

>>43650826
Thanks anon. I admit, doing a set based on another IP is a bit unoriginal. But I'm a pretty diehard Zelda fan, and I kind of wanted to make one as more of an homage than a super serious dealie.
>>
>>43650871
Not the anon that made the card, but, way i see it you technically have to pay 4 mana to do so, so it isn't broken at all. The card is obviously intended to transmute your green mana into other colors, which is also pretty powerful, but not busted, I don't think.
>>
File: UW01 Travelling Auditor.png (247KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UW01 Travelling Auditor.png
247KB, 375x523px
>>43650871
I posted a fixed version.

>>43650872
I was actually about to suggest that the old one deal 1 damage to target tapped creature to replicate the fact that they can only hit your with their rocks if your guard is down, but that'd make it too white, unless that's an option you'd entertain.

>IP
No it's cool man, I understand. It's just my personal opinion. Like I said, I'm not about to ignore a serious attempt at making cards for such a silly reason.
>>
>>43650903
Nah, guy that made it here, I fucked it up, because you only ever needed to feed one mana into it, then just keep using whatever popped out to keep feeding it over and over to get the card. It started out as a different ability but I changed it around and forgot to redo the cost. But yeah, the gist of what it was meant to do, you got that bit right on.
>>
>>43650852
>>43650903
Oh yeah was looking at the messed up one, fixed version is better, still seems strong though as it colour fixes and draws a card just as a byproduct of that, and then eventually you can just cast a 4G creature and draw a card for free off it
>>
>>43650903
>>43650852
Seems like a straight upgrade to Orochi Leafcaller.
>>
>>43650927
Yeah, it can be powerful like that, but as you said it forces you to jump through hoops if you want to do that, and makes you cast 5+ CMC cards that have large colorless costs attached to them.
>>
>>43650934
Kinda is I suppose, and the Leafcaller is already a decent card. Maybe I'll change it to be 1G and a 2/1.
>>
>>43646598

What's the benefit?
>>
File: Dodongo.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dodongo.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>43650911
No, I wouldn't be terribly opposed to making it a little more towards white. And that fits pretty well with the flavor, too. And I'm big on these cards fitting with their flavor moreso than them being useful. I do want it to be balanced and usable, though.
>>
File: Heros Bow.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Heros Bow.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>43650965
Also, I know, white backgrounds are a big no-no. These are mostly just placeholders.
>>
>>43650965
Well, then if you are trying to faithfully replicate creatures and whatnot, then just be ready for them to occupy some odd colors. Like depending on what you do with Ganon, he might not even be black according to the color pie. That Dodongo is pretty red, and could be R/W as well.
>>
>>43650992
Too good compared to Viridian Longbow. Are you using Gatherer to check your power levels? You have a fair grasp on wording so far it seems, but this card should read "Equipped creature has reach and "1, T: ..."

Oh, also the Dodongo needs a "this turn" qualifier on the dealt damage clause. And don't worry too much about the art. People tend to respond more to cards with art but they usually aren't picky about the quality.
>>
File: Fire Keese.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Keese.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>43650997
Oh, hmm. Yeah, I think I will lean towards faithful replication. But if it breaks things a little too hard, then I'll change it up to be a little more streamlined.

>>43651016
Oh, thanks for the tips on wording. Yeah, have used gatherer to double check my wording, but I haven't done so since making any of the new cards.

On this card I was kinda trying to go for a new and interesting keyword, but I think it needs some work.
>>
>>43651016
Also, I thought adding the 1 mana for tapping would balance it out a bit, but maybe not? Also, it costs 2 mana to cast it, so I kinda feel like it's less good than viridian longbow.
>>
>>43651073
The delayed damage might be okay, and a "burning" keyword sounds like it could be interesting, but this card is not very red aside from that keyword, which also needs some wording work. Blue and White are the colors that get small fliers like this typically, though black can too. Red's fliers are usually mid-costed Phoenixes or high-costed Dragons.
>>
>>43651087
Well, I did miss that the ability cost 1 mana to activate, so that changes things. That does help. Viridian Longbow costs 1 to cast and 3 to equip, and yours is 2 and 2 and gives reach as well. It may actually be okay.
>>
>>43651103
Oh sorry. That was actually an older version too... I really need to remember to export these images when i update the cards.

Anyway, I think it's okay to have a 2 mana 1/2 enter the battlefield and deal 1 damage here, because if you're dropping it on turn 2 there's a decent chance it'll be the only creature, and be forced to deal damage to itself, and because of it's ability, if you do that, then it'll also be a 1/1 on the opponent's next turn as well.
>>
File: Fire Keese.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Keese.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43651179
And then I forgot the fucking image. Derp
>>
>>43651187
Well, thing is you'd just not play it till you didn't have to make it hit itself, or something else you control. And again, tiny fliers are not very red.
>>
>>43651222
That's true, but, the card doesn't feel very white or blue and I don't think removing the flying from a bat would fit the flavor very well, either. Hmm.
>>
>>43651252
Bats are usually black... maybe make it black/red?
>>
File: Mono and Dual.png (5MB, 1875x1569px) Image search: [Google]
Mono and Dual.png
5MB, 1875x1569px
I'm back with a few of my commanders revamped.
>>
>>43651252
If you are willing to do allied colors, you could at least make it black, and then give it a red activated ability that deals 1 damage to target creature then 1 damage to that creature at the beginning of the next upkeep, but it'd likely be expensive to activate since that's a lot of value on a creature, unless you make it tap, in which case it becomes a lot worse because most people would rather just use the flier to deal damage to the opponent than ping a creature.

And this is why custom keywords and importing other IPs into MtG is such a pain in the ass, kids.
>>
File: Tri.png (3MB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Tri.png
3MB, 1875x1046px
>>43651264
Also have the first draft of my tri-colored ones.
>>
>>43651279
>>43651264
>>43641319
>>43640981
>>43639239
I know we say to post cards in groups to save thread space, but... when something like this happens, and you want to give feedback on them to encourage setbuiding and whatnot, it just feels too damn daunting.
>>
>>43651269
Yeah, I was thinking of making it Black/Red. Or just straight black. But now I'm thinking of just straight up dropping the keyword, making it red/black, and giving it a more red ability.
>>
File: Evi of Mirrorwatch.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Evi of Mirrorwatch.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>43651279
Oops, I posted the wrong version of GWU.
I also reformatted Yog'ilth so the text doesn't run into the P/T.
>>
Question: I want to do a cycle of Confluences for my set, but I wanted to make them cheaper than the ones in the new Commander set, and of course, they have to be Limited playable and balanced for the regular game, since the Confluences are pretty strong for Standard, I think? My thought was to make each choice affect all players/all creatures; that kind of thing. Would that be the sort of thing people would like to see from a cycle like that? Also, same-cost cycle, or just a flavor cycle, where each spell can be a different cost like the current Confluence cycle.
>>
File: Quad Penta and NA.png (2MB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Quad Penta and NA.png
2MB, 1875x1046px
>>43651264
>>43651279
>>43651404
Now for the messy color combinations. Designing basically all of these has left me questioning my sanity.
>>
File: untitled.png (594KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
594KB, 750x523px
>>43652354
After thinking about it, I realized I did some stupid things with UBRG and GWUB. These versions should make a bit more sense.
>>
>>43650369
Put a space between pay and {B}.
>>
File: World Gear.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
World Gear.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Thoughts?
>>
File: Schlegar Truthstalker.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Schlegar Truthstalker.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>43651255
I diagree with the idea of color locking some races, especially ones with little numbers in the game. I would understand if this was a U goblin or a R treefolk though.
>>
File: Graniteforge Schelgar.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Graniteforge Schelgar.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43655768
It's okay? It's so big it would only see play in commander with cheese. It's something people would pass a few times during drafts I'm sure. The tap ability should be worded, " ... each player controls but don't own."
It's a cool card, don't get me wrong. It's just one of those things that are so big you can't do it any other way.
>>
>>43655768

pretty cool

probably unplayable, but in a good way, the way that knowledge pool is fairly unplayable
>>
flying is a secondary or tertiary in every color because creatures of every color can be flying flavorwise

no reason a bat should be have to be U or W MERELY because it flies, nor should it have to be B just because most bats are B

/ccg/ is really finicky about unimportant rules and no so finicky about important ones
>>
>>43656872
>2/2 in red with no drawbacks
No.
>>
>>43656722
I disagree with the idea of having races at all. A ton of useless creature types that make creating flavorful tribal cards impossible.
>>
>>43656969

explain further
>>
>>43656960

posters like these make me sad

its like they want only to see custom cards that are even WORSE than BFZ power-level
>>
>>43656984
I can't make cards that interact with "undead" because there are 7 different creature types which are all undead.
>>
>>43656872
>Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, ~ gains first strike until end of turn.

>>43657005
Red has never had a 2/2 without downside for 1R.
>>
File: Tydin V1.png (321KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
Tydin V1.png
321KB, 396x554px
I tried to make a Beast Tribal EDH general, and somehow ended up with this guy. I feel he needs a bit of refinement though. What do you guys think?
>>
>>43653915
I did, MSE is making it crowd.
>>
>>43656722
Putting races into colors they are not normally in is okay sometimes, yes. Black elves, blue zombies, etc. It depends on the set and the justification/mechanical support you have for it.
>>
>>43657586
>Beast, hound and wolf creatures you control have haste, vigilance and "T: This creature fights target creature."
I don't see the purpose for the white. Granting haste is a strong ability on top of everything else that it might require a higher CMC. P/T could instead be smaller. The fight bonus is cute, but turning all your creatures into safe, free removal has a lot of value.
>>
File: Tydin V2.png (320KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
Tydin V2.png
320KB, 396x554px
>>43657829
Yeah, white was pretty iffy. A large part of it was me misremembering how many hounds there were in white to begin with. It does work as a hybrid card, but you're right that there's little reason to do so.

Regarding the other stuff... Maybe this version works better?
>>
>>43657829
>>43657994
Then again, a bonus to power is still pretty strong. Maybe add a mana cost to it, or make Tydin's power lower? Or maybe make it so that they can only tap to fight if they're attacking?
>>
File: Evoke Subversion.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Evoke Subversion.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>43657310
That is a really strange trend in the Red color pool but alright. I made it's cmc 2R and it's power 3. The rest is the same. Sounds good?

>>43657709
I agree. Requires context usually unless they are some kind of vague minor race in which case it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: Steamwork Cycle.jpg (354KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Steamwork Cycle.jpg
354KB, 1875x523px
A cycle for a steampunk vs cyberpunk set.
One of the set mechanics is Salvage(When you draw this card, you may discard it. If you do, return a Sparepart from your graveyard to your hand.).
Spareparts are a new tribal for artifacts and instant/sorceries, some of which trigger additional effects when discarded or salvaged.
Thoughts on the cycle and the mechanic in general?
>>
>>43659091
The trigger for them is really specific so I'd hope the set to have a lot of ways to make it happen, less this cycle will be pretty disappointing.
All of them seem fine. I like the setting.
>>
File: UG01 Dreamscape Chameleon.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UG01 Dreamscape Chameleon.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Thinking of making this rare. Is it too good?
>>
>>43662950
Seems a bit lackluster to me
>>
>>43662950
Yeah it's pretty degenerate
>>
>>43662950
Anyone with any sense will instantly kill it. So doesnt seem very usefull
>>
File: Glint of Nuance.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Glint of Nuance.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>43662950
>>43663382
>>43663587
This so broken you don't even understand. First off, searching for 3 lands on 4 mana is really strong on it's own. Secondly, scrying 1 X times where X is the number of untapped lands you control is really damn strong too. This card is really strong because of how priority works:
>Drop
>Hold priority in response to it entering the battlefield
>Put all "scry 1" abilities from my untapped lands onto the stack
>Put the "Sac: Search for 3 lands" ability on the stack
>The Lizard is now dead because Sac is part of the cost, so it happens when you use the ability
>Lands no longer have "scry 1"
>Pass priority finally
>Opponent is butt blasted over getting 0 scry 1 because of how priority works, me getting 3 lands for 4 mana, and now pushing a bunch of shit top decks away from my draw
This shit is too good.
>>
>>43663612
It puts the lands into the grave, all you get is paying 2GG for a little bit of scry
>>
File: Invasive Ooze.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Invasive Ooze.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43663612
>basic lands
>into your graveyard
>4 mana

wew lad
>>
>>43663643
>A great outlit for thinning your deck mid to late game of lands
>Not good
This fixes getting mana flooded really well. It would become a new G command staple immediately.
>>
>>43662950
Okay so how do I fix it then, I really like the idea of the first ability, but I don't know how to balance it.
>>
>>43663718
Just up the rarity and it's fine. It's this kind of thing that isn't game breaking but does too much for an uncommon. It would be would played in dredged and delve primarily.
>>
>>43663718
Just to be clear here, do you think getting to tap all your mana to scry for (X-4) at sorcery speed is:

a) good, or
b) bad?
>>
>>43663682
A bit of card thinning is nice but its nothing amazing or degenerate
>>
>>43663863
Probably bad, my assumption was that you would only want to tap a few at any given time. The issue I'm worried more about is locking down people's mana too hard.
>>
>>43663651
If you're going to go that route, I would suggest making cards like this have an element of randomness to offset the consistency of having them whenever.
>>
from the brink, though whether or not it should have been saved is another matter entirely
>>
>>43663682
>deck thinning 3 lands for 2GG
>good
>>
>>43662950
A few things:
1."is on the battlefield, all lands lose all their abilities and gain"

2. An opponent that decides to sacrifice the chameleon can "fail to find" 3 lands in his library and not put any on his graveyard, even if he does have 3 lands in his library.

3.Shuffle your library.

4. This one I am not so sure: If your opponent gets priority and sacrifices chameleon, you can't tap lands for scry in response, since the chameleon already left the field, as being sacrificed is the cost of the ability.
>>
File: 1cmccursecycle.png (2MB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
1cmccursecycle.png
2MB, 1875x523px
WARNING: TOP DOWN DESIGN

2cmc instant cycle. How it do
>>
>>43668635
+2/-2 is out of color for white and should be gets not has.
Blue and black are ok
Red is also fine but overcosted and should be target creature you control fights another target creature
Green is pretty bad as it doesn't have much of an impact
>>
>>43668635
W: +X/-2 is not white, and it is also very expensive, check out Artful Maneuver.
U: ok
B: ok
R: Expensive, check out Pit Fight(and also check out the wording).
G: Not very green, and kinda weak.
>>
File: Field of Champions.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Field of Champions.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
Does this being fetchable make it broke?
>>
>>43617496

Exhume is just the mana cost while hellbent, did you intend this?
>>
>>43638695

It's really easy for somebody willing to cheat to rearrange cards 2 and 3 whenever they want
>>
>>43640887

>Ancestral Denial

Casting this on my own Gitaxian Probe or Mishra's Bauble seems pretty strong and low-risk.

>Earthen Battrox

Could be cheaper or get a keyword, even at common.

>Flamemake

Cool; first sentence needs "onto the battlefield" though.

>Ornibreaker

Insanely OP in aggro; it's like a free, colorless Savannah Lions that can attack into blockers without dying.

>Tree of Forgotten Ways

Also insanely strong; mana cost should be more like 2W or something; more if you give it a mana ability (which you should). Definitely shouldn't be playable in mono-blue, -red, or -green and probably -black. Could stand to be Legendary.
>>
>>43671020
Make it enters the battlefield tapped and I guess it is ok.
Thread posts: 280
Thread images: 98

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.