[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helicopters and airships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: airship.jpg (109KB, 686x466px) Image search: [Google]
airship.jpg
109KB, 686x466px
I have a quick question which I'm hoping /tg/ might be able to help with, no one else seems to!

What would be the best way to launch a helicopter from a modern airship? I'm trying to get "realistic" or "believable" ideas, such as side ramps/hatches which fold down/slide open to allow the helicopter to taxi out and take off, or possibly a top section on the airship - I don't know how modern construction methods would work with this.

Basically, I'm writing a novel set in a slightly alternate now where airships and helicopters are the norm for reasons, and if a helicopter carrier was developed, how it might work.

Thanks!
>>
>>43604749
>taxi out and take off
....are you talking about helicopters or planes?
>>
>>43605626
Probably he means helicopters, but they can definitely taxi, if they've got wheels on the bottom like some military birds do.
>>
Uhh, your picture is literally the only way it works.

Helicopters need to go up from a flat stable surface.

Also you keep saying "airship", but it sounds like what you really mean is a zeppelin/balloon shit. If you have helicopter technology, there's no reason to use shitty balloons anymore. People would just build a big fucking helicopter/helicarrier like in the picture you posted, and have smaller helicopters on top of it.

Either that or make silly Final Fantasy style airships that are just boats with helicopter parts strapped to them, but are not realistic.
>>
>airships being used in tandem with helicopters
>realism

Not going to happen, unless the very notion of war does not exist in this universe. A helicopter would just zip right by any rigid/non-rigid airship and cause the biggest fucking explosion and waste of resources known to man.

AIRSHIPS ARE NEVER A GOOD IDEA. (Helicarriers are pretty cool though)
>>
>>43604749
>Basically, I'm writing a novel set in a slightly alternate now where airships and helicopters are the norm for reasons, and if a helicopter carrier was developed, how it might work.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostWritersAreWriters

nobody gives a shit what your opinions on tvtropes.com are.
>>
>>43605671
Why would it explode?

Airships don't explode - they crash, buckle and get caught by the wind, but they only explode in an accident if for some reason you can't fill them with helium (like, it's the 1930s and the major helium supplier won't sell you any)
>>
>>43605675
Thanks for the insight, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
>>
Look at Fallout 4. Minor spoiler. The Prydwen launches vertibirds from racks. The docking arms lower to get them clear, and their wings unfold and propellors spin up. If you have folding-wing helicopters like Vertibirds, it'd work. If not, there's probably an alternate way to do it.
>>
>>43606490
Like it, thanks!
>>
>>43605626
Well helicopters would be best for the job, so probably that
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.