[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homebrew General - /hbg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 45

File: tcg-series6-035-large.jpg (156KB, 704x546px) Image search: [Google]
tcg-series6-035-large.jpg
156KB, 704x546px
OT: >>43465103

A thread dedicated to discussion and feedback of homebrews made by /tg/ regarding anything from minor elements to entire systems, or even inviting people to test your system in Roll20.

Try to keep discussion as civilized as possible, and avoid non-constructive criticism.

>Useful Links:
/tg/
http://1d4chan.org/

>Online Play:
https://roll20.net/
https://www.obsidianportal.com/

>RPG Stuff:
http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/freerpgs/fulllist.html
http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/theory/

>Dice Rollers
http://anydice.com/
http://www.anwu.org/games/dice_calc.html?N=2&X=6&c=-7
http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/troll.msp
http://www.fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

>Tools and Resources:
http://www.gozzys.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/
http://ebon.pyorre.net/
http://www.henry-davis.com/MAPS/carto.html
http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp

>Design and Layout
http://erebaltor.se/rickard/typography/
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4qCWY8UnLrcVVVNWG5qUTUySjg&usp=sharing
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/demo.html
http://davesmapper.com
>>
Can't be bothered to make an english version right now, but here's the current charsheet (although the Weaponry section at the top left is gonna change in the near future)

The old HUD had to go in order to leave space for the current health system chart thingie.

I'm almost done with most things! I should have a working build 3 in a week or two to share and possibly make a quick roll20 test.
>>
File: MATRAZANPATTERN.jpg (231KB, 1032x483px) Image search: [Google]
MATRAZANPATTERN.jpg
231KB, 1032x483px
Progressing with fluffy stuff and writing up a weapon table

Pic is some Matrazani hardsuit types
>>
I've been getting desperate for feedback on a Final Fantasy dark knight fighter archetype for D&D 5e. The GITP forums were fucking useless.

http://pastebin.com/VMRmBbgt
>>
>>43590482
Just seems kinda whatever. The subclass feature ends up being a +4 to damage rolls once per turn without anything else that's particularly interesting. Does Dark Sword lasts longer than just the turn you activate it? I can't tell since you didn't really say.

It doesn't seem particularly unbalanced at first look.
>>
>>43590594
The damage bonuses lasts on all your melee attacks -- including Extra Attacks and opportunity attacks and other attacks made as bonus actions -- until you turn it off. I'll clarify that in the next draft.
>>
>>43590431
Really digging this art style. I like how it makes the suits kinda look like giant beetles.
>>
So, I've been thinking of doing a Fatigue system to handle both HP and Special Techniques, so the average joe has say, 25 Fatigue, and that decreases every time the opponent lands a near hit based on Degrees of Success but they can also use this pool to do things like power attack or trip attacks or sprints or dodge rolls and shit, usually about 1 point each. Once fatigue is gone, all damage is dealt straight to a smaller pool of Hit Points, usually around 5 points for the average joe.

Armor would be used as supplemental HP if it's something hard like plate that they couldn't just stab thru, or as damage reduction to actual Hit Point if it's soft and slows what's going through it, but likely won't stop it entirely.

Thoughts?
>>
File: damage.png (228KB, 841x1194px) Image search: [Google]
damage.png
228KB, 841x1194px
I might've run into a small weapon issue
help

>>43591399
out of personal experience, resources like mana, fatigue/stamina, ammo, and anything you need to take in account every turn that requires erasing, writing, and erasing again is a huge turn off for the average player unless it's completely simplified for them to digest
and even then, most GMs i've seen or played with tend to just ignore it
>>
>>43592098
Fair point, I'm thinking of it more like tracking HP, where it's something players are used to "I got hit, just erase and rewrite" or have a number and they just make tally marks until their number of makes equals that number. It would work like normal Hp tracking in most games. At least in theory. You wouldn't get fatigue back until the end of the battle where you could rest, or when you take a specific action to restore it. Though I can see what you mean, I don't think it would be that different from a mechanic players typically assume to be a given.
>>
>>43592098
Can you give a brief refresher on your central combat mechanic?

In terms of personal work, I've attached part of the project that I'm currently working on, which is a homebrew space opera system using Greg Stolze's One Roll Engine.

If you're unfamiliar with O.R.E., the basic idea is that you roll a pool of d10s, almost always comprised of a Stat + Skill, and you look for matches. A match is called a Set. The number of matches in the set is called the Width, and the value of the set itself is the Height.

The set itself is expressed as Width x Height. So a set of 4,4,4 would be described as 3x4.

O.R.E. uses this mechanic for a billion different uses, and in actual play is ridiculously flexible and intuitive.

The document attached is my progress on sketching our rules basic adventures in space-- how to move between planets and stars, and how character can use their Flight Skills, which are the special stats that relate directly to serving on a spaceship.

This is pretty much all crunch; I want the final product to be largely setting agnostic, to encourage GMs and players to make up their own or apply it to their favorite setting, like Trek or Mass Effect.
>>
>>43592098
>>43592246
copypasting from last thread, those are tracks for single body part

>Each part has a set limit of empty cells (I haven't decided on a specific number yet) and small empty circles tied to those cells.
>Instead of adding up to a certain amount, damage instead causes small injuries ( / ) and severe wounds ( X ) in the cell corresponding to the number rolled. If the attack befalls on an armored cell, the armor must be broken before causing wounds, and the character's life is calculated by how many injuries they can withstand overall before losing a limb, getting KO'd or dying.
>>
>>43591399
Pretty much what >>43592098 said. Bookkeeping in general is a chore one you get into double digit numbers, doubly so when it's something you need to monitor every single turn. The only way you can really make it work is if the pool represented by a pool of physical objects like dice or poker chips, because then players can literally toss individual chips away or use the dice and them set them aside as necessary. Needing to keep up the math on a scratch pad is not appealing to a lot of players.
>>
>>43592286
What's the central mechanic though? Is it a standard d20 vs target number?

I understand the idea; actually the One Roll Engine that I'm using for my homebrew uses a very similar system, but since the ORE literally strives to resolve all actions with a single dice roll, there's no separate damage roll and no variable damage dice. That's frankly just asking for headaches.

Tracking damage on individual hit locations is about the crunchiest thing a game can do; trying to add more layers of crunch and randomness is something most games avoid.
>>
I'm making a game that has character creation, and the mechanics are simple enough that they can be contained on a handy-dandy card, but also contain a lot of elements that need to be managed, like inventory, HP, etc. Should I just go straight to making character sheets, or should I find a way to involve more cards in this system at the risk of it turning into every character requiring a stack of cards before the adventure begins?
>>
>>43592298
Hmm. A fair point, but that kind of limits how much health a player can have in general doesn't it? What's a better way to track an HP-like system without having to resort to gimmicky things like poker chips or the like?
>>
>>43592342
it's kind of a roll-under d20 right now, your stats dictate your chances and they grow organically as you do stuff

in combat you roll with relevant stats for accuracy, roll for location (unless you aim a specific location, with a small penalty) and then you should roll for damage but turns out i don't know how to roll for damage without either fucking up weapons or fucking up armor

I had to add it out of necessity because then i can have augments and replacements that actually serve a purpose and change the outcomes of fights and because i can give roll penalties when certain parts are injured, but i might change it in the future for a universal track while keeping the same injury system, who knows
>>
>>43592403
Hmmm well one way it could work would be to have your Stamina or whatever represented by a grid of boxes. If Stamina is 25 as you said, it would be a 5x5 grind.

Whenever a player takes damage, he makes an X mark in a box, starting from the upper left corner.

If the player takes an action that consumes Stamina, then he makes an O mark starting from the lower right corner of the grid.

Once the entire grid is filled with X's and O's, the the character's Stamina is Exhausted. If there are more O's then X's he's merely winded and out of energy. If there are more X's then O's, then he's been wounded and possibly incapacitated.

That would be fairly easy to manage. Of course you'd need to erase all your marks each time you heal up and start a new combat, but it would work.
>>
>>43592440
Right now your system has three separate rolls for each action: the roll for accuracy, roll for location and then the roll for damage. Rolls 1 and 3 have math involved, and Roll 2 would involve referencing a chart each time you do it until you've internalized that chart. I feel like that's an awful lot of individual rolls, and a lot of randomness.

-You can fail your roll to hit
-You can pass your roll to hit but fail to hit anything important or anything unarmored
-You can pass your roll to hit and hit something important with minimal protection, but roll a 1 for damage.

Combat with system would be extremely slow paced. Like, slower than 4th edition DnD.

If I can offer you a complement however, I will say that your production value is excellent. Your actual designs and layouts are easy to follow and nice to look at, and it's cool that you're working on a non-english project.
>>
>>43592537
>Roll 2 would involve referencing a chart each time you do it until you've internalized that chart
this is true, in fact i dropped limb hits at first because it involved looking at charts for beasts and anything that isn't at least vaguely anthropomorphic, which is not only a chore to play but to compile as well
then said "fuck it" but i'm still wary of the whole writing process that comes later

first draft was only accuracy and flat damage but it involved WAY more math so i simplified it, but the difficulty to keep track of combat just shifted to another thing entirely, while math is kept at a minimum compared to the first and second drafts

>You can pass your roll to hit and hit something important with minimal protection, but roll a 1 for damage.
This is still an issue with my armor layout, but i'm guessing if there are base numbers like the base+d6 roll i pointed out in the damage image (with some tweaks to make it viable) this wouldn't be an issue
>>
File: character sheet.png (60KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
character sheet.png
60KB, 816x1056px
How do I make not shit character sheets?
>>
>>43592730
Not making fun of you, but my first reaction when I saw the thumbnail of this is that it looks like an invoice printed out from Quickbooks.

-Just for starters, the Player/Character/Sex/Doll line should be on the upper left, since that's where the reader's eye is drawn first. Putting your logo there instead is weirdly disorienting.

-I don't think Player name is really necessary

-I feel like you can get rid of Relic Description/Doll Description or move it to a second sheet. Character sheet should be a quick reference so that the player will know exactly what numbers he's using at all times. He already knows what his Relic/Doll looks like, so it doesn't benefit him to have it front and center like that.
>>
>>43592486
Well their fatigue would probably range from about 21 (1 endurance) to 30 (10 endurance). The different marks is a neat idea though. I want using Techniques to be a little risky, and I like the idea of getting a little "danger buffer" after your fatigued, it's an idea I'd play with. No matter what I feel like there will have to be some writing and erasing just by the nature of how Health systems work.
>>
>>43592910
I made it in Paint.net.

Wish I knew of a utility that made this easier.
>>
>>43593097
why don't you use adobe illustrator or any other vector software like inkscape
things are pretty easy to make that way as long as you know what you're doing and what you want
>>
>>43592726
Okay what if you tried something like this. Now bear in mind that this is a totally rewritten system which I'm not saying is better than what you have, but is an alternative:

>Attack = d20 + Modifier
>If your Attack beats a Target#, you hit
>Attack - Target# gives your your Damage Variable
>Damage = Fixed Weapon Damage + Damage Variable
>Roll for hit location

This way handles roll to hit and roll for damage at the same time, so all you need to do is roll for where you hit. Because the Damage Variable is random, based on your Attack total against your target's defense, you've still got an element of chance in there.
>>
>>43593001
Well if the fatigue range is variable, what you want is a large grid of 30 boxes (so 5x6), and you kind of mark off the limit of a character's fatigue. So a character with 10 Endurance would have the entire grid to himself, while 1 Endurance would mean he has to mark off Box 21 as the limit of his fatigue.

I'd also suggest not calling it fatigue directly. Fatigue has negative connotations, and the idea of wanting more Fatigue isn't conceptually pleasing. Call it Stamina or Willpower or something positive.
>>
I'm playing a Way of Shadow Monk in 5E and the DM is allowing some homebrew.

And I'm wondering if it's reasonable to allow me to see through my own Darkness with racial Darkvision or not. The spell description in itself is against it, but it feels like having Darkness like that could add a lot of utility to the Shadow Jump ability.
>>
File: character sheet.png (77KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
character sheet.png
77KB, 816x1056px
>>43593108
Because I don't have access to them. Poorfriend and all that.

Does this one look better?
>>
Working on a setting (alternate history Europe/World 1650 - 1680) starting with megadungeon (inspired by Darkest Dungeon). Basis is Lotfp with houserules drawn from Last Gasp + HMS Apollyon + Ten Foot Polemic. Any feedback is welcome, and questions are as well.
>>
>>43593241
Actually yes it does.

How are Traits/Class Abilities and Abilities/Spell Combinations meant to be formatted? Is there a specific ways they're meant to be expressed?
>>
>>43593241
inkscape is free actually and you always got piracy anyways

and yeah it looks much more tidy and clean compared to the last one
>>
>>43593426
How about some more details? There's nothing in this post that gives anything to actually provide feedback on.
>>
>>43593189
That makes sense. Hopefully that won't look to cluttered but I'm sure I can find an elegant way to express it. And good call, I was looking at it as "x thing fatigues you" but saying it costs "x stamina" is more intuitive.
>>
File: 1393776294388.png (32KB, 226x161px) Image search: [Google]
1393776294388.png
32KB, 226x161px
>dont want to post my homebrew anymore since no one ever comments on it
>>
>>43593992
Truth. Keep in mind that it's the first time I actually post on /tg/ after lurking for 2+ years.

Setting: Christianity did never gain popularity and eventually died off. Nations are somewhat off compared to historical Europe.

Campaign: Characters are hired by an Italo/Austrian nobleman to reclaim his family estate and find out what his crazed uncle was up to.

It's gonna be a gritty hex/dungeoncrawl with high character turnover due to death/wounds/insanity and "mercenary company" management involved.

Great Old One not guaranteed.
>>
>>43594617

I know this is b8 but nobody will comment on anyone's homebrew most of the time, or their worldbuilding essay, or anything because it is usually either too long or not interesting enough.

You're better off 99% of the time just asking a more vague question ITT and getting answers that way.
>>
File: 1445624367970.png (806KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445624367970.png
806KB, 1280x720px
>>43595160
Good job yelling bait. But asking vague questions dont really help when you want feedback on the entire completed product, cornhole.
>>
>>43595185

I honestly wasn't trying to offend you, but I'm just telling you that that is what usually get results, at least for me.

I have long been very butthurt about people's lack of response towards my stuff, so I wanted to save you the trouble.
>>
>>43595244
>>43594617

Post it. I'll read and comment on it, if not tonight then tomorrow.

Be the change you want to see.
>>
>>43595103
Why are there dungeons and, presumably, monsters in Age-of-Sail era Europe?

Is every game meant to follow the same pattern of "Crazy inbred european noble sends you off to your doom?" or is there room for other kinds of adventures? Not that there's anything wrong with that premise of course.

7th Sea covers that same time period in exhaustive quasi-detail (everything a parallel universe version of something in the real world) but is markedly NOT a gritty dungeoncrawler.
>>
>>43595829

Alright. I know you won't actually do it, but I'll humor you.

Just know that I still need to/am overhauling the magic system. Just need to think of a few good ways to do it.
>>
>>43595979
54 pages eh? Alright I'll see what I can do. I can't promise I'll be able to get to it tonight but tomorrow I should be able to have some notes.

Have you actually played this with anyone yet, or is it still just a pet project?
>>
Maybe folks could give some feedback on my piece too? I worked with all of the suggestions that I got few threads back and would like to head onwards. I will either start to make more cards or try to hire someone to playtest it.
>>
>>43595979
First thing I'll say is it would be nice for this document to have a table of contents, since 54 pages is kind of a lot of text to wander through without knowing ahead of time what the structure is.

I have to go now but I'll definitely read over it and provide some notes tomorrow, so stick around.
>>
>>43596055

I have actually played a game with it, yes. Fell apart due to normal group time management issues but you know, the core system is pretty simple. It just uses Step dice. I run everything very off the cuff though as a GM, so you may have to use some of your own Fiat both when reading or trying to run it.
>>
>>43596177
One last thing for tonight. I'll dig into the nitty gritty tomorrow.

Your opening page says "The game's primary resolution system is rolling a die. What die you roll is dependant on various
stats, items, and situational effects and modifiers. The 'size' of the die goes up or down
depending on this, but rolling high is desired"

Just from this I'm not particularly clear as to how the mechanic functions. Are you trying to beat a target number? Are you adding the dice roll to a static number? It can use some clarification.
>>
File: Syndicate Informant.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Syndicate Informant.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43596089
>>
>>43597806

Yes, typically you are trying to beat a target number.

I don't remember if I wrote it down in the manuscript but an 'easy' challenge would be meet-or-beat 3. This would mean an average person (d4) would have a 50% chance of success, an above average (d6) would have a 2/3 chance of success, even more skill (d8) would mean a 75% chance of success, and finally a supremely badass person (d10) would have a 80% chance of success and so on. This is all written out to better explain the choice for why it is easy to beat. Of course a hard challenge would be to meet or beat 4, which would be hard for an average person and only a 50/50 for an above average, etc.

Combat is more defined; you are rolling your attack dice to beat the enemy's defense number, which is 1 + modifiers. Think of this as AC.

Other then that, I think its all spelled out.
>>
Bumping for industry
>>
>>43597966
Are 3 and 4 the only two difficulty targets? Obviously anything higher is impossible for a d4 roll without some kind of +modifier.
>>
>>43601152

Right. I personally wouldn't use that unless it was monumentally hard, or if the characters get an automatic bonus (such as a crafting check and having a workshop + tools counts as a +1, or something similar. An average person couldn't attempt it without that bonus, but a skilled person could.

Characters in this game have pretty low/only have a few stats that they get boosted, most are average.
>>
>>43590003
Looking good.
>>
Dunno if this is really on-topic with the thread but I have a story set in one of the homebrews on 1d4chan (This one: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Disney_Villains_Victorious )

Anyone interested in hearing it?
>>
>>43603590
Same guy; it's a partially done campaign, meant to point out. Fucking 2 AM here. Jesus.
>>
Mecha with or without heads?

What kind of visual mecha ideas does /hbg/ like?
>>
>>43604715
It depends on the tech level. Low tech should use a head system to incorporate the camera system. Higher the tech level goes, the easier it would be to replace primitive cameras with smaller ones or sensors that can replace standard visual systems.
>>
As i work on my system ive become increasingly worried that no one will be able to or want to actually play it without me there, because the system is based on pools of d12s and im the only person i know with more than 2 d12s.

Is this a reasonable concern? Or do you think the avarage person who wants to plsy the system will either buy some more/get a digital roller/reroll as needed?
>>
>>43604866
If it's a good system, people will want to play and buy dice for it. Coincidentally, how does your system work?
>>
File: BOOB_PLATE_V3.1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
BOOB_PLATE_V3.1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>43589946
Still working on Boob Plate. I'm going to try and have the classes and spells in this version done by Friday.
This is actually the most difficult part of writing games for me. I always plow through the basic rules of the game while telling myself that I'm getting the hard part done, but then I get up to player options and compiling lists for stuff and then I'm stumped.
>>
File: 1377148571677.jpg (326KB, 1098x1755px) Image search: [Google]
1377148571677.jpg
326KB, 1098x1755px
>>43604715
i enjoy a mixture, especially settings featuring a mixture of styles and possible conflicts.

Generally i think any mecha with a head is smaller, (and if autonomous, smarter) mecha without heads to me is generally larger, but dumber. (requires pilot, or remote connection)
>>
>>43604889
Roll d12s=stat, with situational modifiers so on.

10 11 and 12 are successes. 11 gives one reroll, 12 gives two. Difficulty is a number of successes of course. Pools average 4, but can get to 10 without serious minmaxed powergaming
>>
What sort of 2d6 systems exist that aren't Dungeon World?

I ask because I love the distribution.
>>
>>43604715
With heads, but in the middle of their torsos.
>>
>>43604963
I think the Iron Kingdoms system uses 2D6.
>>
>>43604963
Traveler.
>>
>>43604963
IIRC one of the Touhou RPGs uses 2d6. Can't remember if it's the shitty one or the okay one.
>>
>>43595979
Okay here is my semi-exhaustive review. I already spoke about the dice rolling mechanics, so I'll start a little after that.

>Vigor (Health Points)
I'm a big fan of systems with abstracted hit points, especially high combat ones where characters and enemies are expected to exchange hits frequently. So kudos on this. I also like how your past experiences add to your Vigor in the "+1 per Scar or near death experience" rule. Clever.

>Death Dice
I get what you're going for here but I definitely feel like the stystem is too complicated for tracking something as simple as "is my character out of action yet?" You're combining a highly narrative structure with a pretty crunchy system which is hard to balance I think. It's made more complicated by the fact that you basically have two seperate charts to reference when your character drops below 0 Vigor: the "what death die do I use?" chart and the "what does my roll mean?" chart.

A better way might be for there to be a single death dice that you roll, and you add your negative Vigor to the roll. So the more negative Vigor you get, the worse off you become. This would require completely rebalancing the Death Dice rules so it's probably not something you're looking into doing. If you're saying that you've playtested it and it works then go with it; personally I don't think I'd enjoy it that much.

>Wounds & Out
I like this rule. It allows for the seriousness of a fight to be expressed through the mechanics, not just the narrative and GM's fiat. And it makes it so that not every fight has to end with one side all dead.

>Vigor and Healing
Good job not gating healing behind a single character archetype that has all the healing spells. I like the idea of regaining Vigor after defeating an enemy especially.
>>
>>43606198
>Scars or Near Death Experiences
Scars giving you more Vigor is a cool idea. Not a fan of stat reduction from physical damage though. I'm of the philosophy that characters should always be advancing forward, because it's more fun for the players that way.

>Fighting Mechanics
The first thing that comes to mind here is actually JRPGs like Final Fantasy, where you can expect most if not all of your attacks to hit. Based on what's written here, a well prepared enemy will have 2 defense, which means that even someone with a weak skill has a 50% to hit. This is balanced of course by the fact that Vigor doesn't actually represent physical damage, and just being in combat is going to be draining for all characters involved. But it does mean an awful lot of bookkeeping.

I'm guessing then that very strong enemies are represented by having a ton of Vigor rather than having unusually high defenses, yes?

>Combat Maneuvers
I like how all of your stats have a value in combat, instead of just "are you a fighter? Use Strength!". In particular, the Survey and Battle Plan moves are pretty clever. Charisma definitely needs a better example though. All of the other stats have examples that directly affect the character using the Maneuver, and to make Charisma equally attractive, it should follow suit.

>Fighting Styles
I appreciate what you're going for here. Does this document have a list of possible Fighting Styles, or are players supposed to make them up as they go along?

The Honing system is interesting but I think too much to keep track of, especially when you factor in everything else in the game that you are tracking. It kinda reminds me of Rifts where you basically get a point of XP each time you use a skill no matter what, so you can build your agility or whatever by cartwheeling into every room you walk into. Since this is confined to combat it's not as serious, but it still means more fiddly little things for your players to monitor and keep track of.
>>
>>43606211
>Magic System
What makes a character magical? Do they have to be born with it or can it be learned? The details are unclear.

Who controls what makes an event Harrowing? Is it the GM? Scars at least have a mechanical background, but for Harrowing there doesn't seem to be anything.

>Mana
More numbers to keep track of. Just from reading it looks like players are going to need an abacus to track all the different little numbers they need to function. That's why Gygax decided to use Vancian casting in DnD. It's dumb but at least it's simple.

>Esoterica and Tallow
I admit I kind of like the idea of jumbling all the random magical crap that a wizard would have into a single bag labelled "Esoterica". Tallow is a funny idea-- it's basically a one off spell system except that instead of a scroll it can be a magical jawbreaker, yeah?

>SPELL LIST OH BOY
Not going to go through this in detail, but I was waiting for this to see how this game handles Martials vs Spellcasters. Answer: as expected for most games like this. Spells get 7 pages explaining all that they can do, while Combat Maneuvers, which aren't restricted in any way to by race or character class or anything, are covered in about 2 earlier on. End result is that magic users get a far greater range of narrative control compared to non-magic users.
>>
>>43606222
>Sorcerors and Druids
Correction: magic users get most of the handbook dedicated to them. To wit, pages 8 through 43 are entirely about magic users, what they can do and their spells in explicit detail. I don't feel like going into detail on all of that because it is extremely dense in information, which is probably part of the reason why others have been hesitant to comment on this work. If non-magic characters had the same focus on them then it would be understandable, but as it stands, this game seems to fall into the same realm as DnD and Pathfinder and many other fantasy games where the mechanics grant magic users lots of cool stuff they can do which non-magical heroes simply aren't privy to outside of negotiating with the GM.

>Quest Points
Are QP only acquired during character creation? What is a "minor daily use power", something I missed in the Magic section?

>Setting stuff
Given that the setting of the game is that the planet is the body of a mighty warrior God, I'd expect the game to be more options for pure warrior types to do awesome stuff. It kinda reminds me of Norse mythology except with volcanos instead of ice and big trees. I can dig it, but the setting doesn't seem to match the mechanics very well.

I like the fact that you gave humans an identity beyond "the adaptable guys". They're the fire guys who are warriors because they worship the warrior fire god.

I'm a fan of animal people that aren't drawn up as furries, and I think the Bouja fit that nicely. More folkloric than fetishistic.

The Cucoy are Skullkids from Legend of Zelda? I love those guys.

Why would anyone want to play as a Minionling? Or are those just meant to work as enemies?

If there's one thing I think you really hit out of the park setting wise it's the Gods as Planets idea. That's extremely cool and original while also being evocative of actual mythology. Totally on board with that.
>>
>>43606233
>Final thoughts
I'll do this the same way that the System Mastery podcast approaches their game reviews.

>Favorite Thing about Forgotten Gods
The mythology of the Planets as Gods is fantastic. Love it, build on that. I also like Vigor as abstracted health. Death Dice is interesting, though I don't think they would play very well.

>Least Favorite Thing about Forgotten Gods
Excessive focus on magic users. Literally about 2/3rds of the text is dedicated towards magicic users, their spells, and the rules surrounding them. Even if they aren't necessarily more powerful martial heroes, the game spends waaaay too many pages going on about them. I wouldn't mind it as much if the setting wasn't so fiercely martial in its description, such that I'd EXPECT the warrior types to have a lot of interesting things to do. But the book is silent.

>Would I play Forgotten Gods?
Probably not. Too many cross references, too much fiddly math wouldn't be enjoyable to me personally.

There. Someone give me something else to read over. Please don't make it 54 pages.

Be the change you want to see.
>>
>>43594617
>>43595160
Makes me wonder if we should encourage making 1-2 page "executive summary" versions of homebrews we're working on when looking for feedback. Would make giving feedback a lot easier, and would also be useful for practice in the case that someone actually looks for publishers.

>>43596089
A skim through doesn't reveal anything that is obviously wrong, though the damage card does seem a bit weird with how the numbers are only on one side of the card. Anything specific you don't feel quite right about? Otherwise, it's probably time to see how the cards interact with each other and balance them out.

>>43604715
The mecha design you should probably depend on the countries and their mentalities towards combat first, since it would be weird for a country with direct approach towards conflict to have guerrilla typed mechs. Though I prefer bulky types myself, as well as small, protected head.
>>
>>43606312
>Makes me wonder if we should encourage making 1-2 page "executive summary" versions of homebrews we're working on when looking for feedback.

Yes please. See above.

Also: Dogfight Anon here. Changing my poster name because the main project I'm working on is for a space opera game, which Dogfighting is only a part of.
>>
Has anyone made a form of D&D style RPG but for combat players use prebuilt MtG decks? I'm talking starting out with 15 jank commons to begin with, but loot and rewards are better and better cards to replace leveling up.
>>
>>43604923
Two levels of exploding dice seems like they would get out of hand very quickly. Also there's no real reason why you have to use d12s for this as opposed to d8s or d10s, unless you hate non platonic solids like d10s.
>>
>>43604715
For small scale suits like powered armors, which is what I think Hard:Suit is going for, no heads. It kind of enforces the idea that there's a person inside that central compartment controlling it. For massive scale mecha like Mobile Suits, the head is kind of necessary as a reminder that a person is piloting it, otherwise it just looks like a monster.

It's a weird paradox, in my experience.
>>
>>43603590
Sure why not. If you're still around let's hear it.
>>
>>43606353
How's this for a format? Also, writing about it makes me wonder if two posts should be the limit instead of two pages, but then it might be too little space wouldn't it?

>Introduction
Basic explanation on the setting, any system inspirations, what makes it preferable over other similar games, etc. Kept short, but enough to know the intent behind the creation of the game.

>Mechanics
Simple breakdown of the main mechanics in the game. Kept concise by grouping any similar mechanics together (testing Cooking and Lockpicking both involve rolling 3d6 against a target number), but can break down to smaller sections if different enough (Adventuring Phase uses dice, Combat Phase uses cards). Must contain enough that you can get the general feel of how the mechanics mesh together. Provide examples if necessary, but must keep in the 2 page limit.

>Fluff
Slight explanation about the world, factions and their general feel. Just enough to give a basic understanding of the concept and see how the mechanics fit in place, refrain from extensive history lessons. If you're homebrewing a campaign instead of a full game, summarize it here.

>Specific Questions
List particular sections that doesn't feel quite right and needs feedback or modifications. Specify what about it doesn't feel right, maybe you're not sure of the dice distribution during combat, or a particular fluff about a certain country, maybe you don't have enough weapons in your weapons chart. You could just write this in the post instead, but writing possible problems immediately into the file itself helps prevent forgetting about it in case you put off posting to a later date, or even solve it yourself after you've mulled over it long enough.
>>
>>43606634
Both. Two pages for a PDF or two posts on the board.

Reason being that it doesn't take long to read two pages of PDF text, and if you're inclined you can present information in a more descriptive way. Two posts is not a lot of room for text so it can encouraged clipped phrasing that may not convey useful info.

If someone prefers to write about their homebrew via board posts, two posts should be the limit. It's less room but everyone who looks at the thread can see it instead of needing to open a PDF. I feel like anything more than two posts will become hard to follow in the thread.
>>
>>43606707
True. Also, I tried writing up a shorter, more concise version to include in the OP, though it still takes a good bit of characters and would make any additional stuff almost impossible.

>Introduction
Basic explanation of the game and system. Keep short, but enough to know the intent behind the creation of the game.

>Mechanics
Simple breakdown of the main mechanics in the game, enough to get a feel of how they mesh together. Keep concise by grouping any similar mechanics together, but break down to smaller sections if necessary.

>Fluff
Slight explanation about the world, factions and their general feel, enough to give a basic understanding of how the mechanics fit in this world. If homebrewing a campaign, summarize it here.

>Specific Questions
List particular sections that needs feedbacks. Specify what about it doesn't feel right. Write down any worries immediately to prevent forgetting about it.
>>
>>43606545
The two tier exploding dice act as a crit mechanic. That is to say, yes they do get out of hand sometimes, but in playtesting this normally results in big hype and cool moments (watching someone roll 3 dice with two successes allready under their belt when they started with 1 die, or getting 11 successrs with a 4 dice pool during thr final fight, dealing two critical multipliers). D12s allow this explosion mechanic in a very intuitive way, with double digits being successes and the second digit being rerolls. Also the probability chart is attractive imo.
>>
>>43606797
Good point about the double digits, hadn't thought about that. Very clever.
>>
>>43590482
DA + SE/DA + C&S/DA + AD when?
>>
>>43606312
> though the damage card does seem a bit weird with how the numbers are only on one side of the card
I agree. It mainly was something I threw together for a request. Though if the numbers went all the way down the card, it would take ton of room on the table when you reveal more of the card. Either way, when I get legimate cards, I have something that is designed much better.
>Anything specific you don't feel quite right about?
Nothing at this point, really. I am just feeling that I am not seeing the possible problems since I did all the work myself.
>Otherwise, it's probably time to see how the cards interact with each other and balance them out.
I've been doing that while designing the cards, surprisingly difficult process. Either way, I would love to find some playtesters somewhere. Finding them online is rather difficult of course, since at the point of writing, there are bit over 300 cards to print out if you want to play.
I think I'll post the cards thusfar in couple of huge images, just so people can ogle at them if nothing else.
>>
Working on a homebrew using d100 and Action Points I don't plan on fiddling with a hit table just yet, if at all, so I thought I'd tweak the core mechanic a bit.

So basically you have your Accuracy and your opponent has Evasion. When rolling to hit your opponent, it's typical d100 roll under, but instead of your opponent rolling to Evade, they simply declare their intent to Evade if they have Stamina to spare for it.

You compare their Evasion to your Accuracy and whether the number you rolled was between the two determines whether you hit or not.

>Player A attacks Player B and must roll under 70 to hit
>Player A rolls 23
>Player B chooses to Evade and spends the requisite Stamina
>Player B's Evasion is 30
>Player A misses

I always get mixed messages when it comes to the amount of dice players should be rolling. Some sources say make them roll for every action in combat to make them feel more involved. Some say roll as little dice as possible to prevent complication.

So I've simplified it to:
>Roll Accuracy
>Wait for opponent's reaction
>If hit, roll for damage

Of course losing ammo and action points are in there, but that's the gist of it. Opinions?

tl;dr
d100 system, removed opponent's evasion roll and instead folded it into the initial attack. halp.
>>
>>43607334
Pretty interesting, since there's a fair bit of strategy involved in spending stamina to avoid damage. As mentioned above though, any bookkeeping involving repeatedly erasing and rewriting numbers can get tedious, though rolling to hit, evade, then damage can be just as tedious, though that's coming from a non-RPG player.

Giving them the option to do both might not be a terrible choice, though there's the problem of balancing them such that both options are equally desirable in most situations. Regarding bookkeeping, you can always use dice to keep track of stamina, especially since you're already using d100s.
>>
File: frontier fables cards part 1.jpg (6MB, 7500x2615px) Image search: [Google]
frontier fables cards part 1.jpg
6MB, 7500x2615px
>>43607275
Part 1
>>
>>43594617

Send to [email protected] and I will give you feedback
>>
File: frontier fables cards part 2.jpg (7MB, 7500x2615px) Image search: [Google]
frontier fables cards part 2.jpg
7MB, 7500x2615px
>>43607597
Aaand part 2.
>>
Ok faggots.

Say I have a system with stats ranging -1 to +3 , and skills ranging 0 untrained and up.

How do I make stats help skills in chargen without making it stat + skill

Savage Worlds comes to mind, but.... any other ideas?

Also thinking of just making the game stat based alike apocalypse world but i don't know how to work skills into that.

Just want something simple without alotofmodifiers and skill only feels hollow.

Thanks in advance, oh and if you want feedback you can email tenduril at gmail.com, I don't bite.

And if the Zerk guy is still around. I emailed you because I finally got to playtest your,system.
>>
File: frontier fables cards part 2.jpg (7MB, 7500x2615px) Image search: [Google]
frontier fables cards part 2.jpg
7MB, 7500x2615px
>>43607616
And of course some faulty ones slipped in. I'll just update it, even if it doesnt honestly matter that much.
>>
>>43607678
What's wrong with Stat + Skill? I'm not saying that it's the only way to go but with the set-up you're putting together it's hard to go any other way.
>>
>>43607496
Unfortunately, actively letting them roll their own Evasion does little that forcing your opponent to roll above it does not.

Basically, if your opponent has a 70% chance to hit, having 30 Evasion forces them to roll between 31 and 70 to hit. If they roll 30 or lower, you're better off simply choosing to Evade because you know you can succeed.

The only time you would want to roll for Evasion is if your opponent clearly rolled higher than your Evasion before it came to you to decide whether you would or not. Maybe spending an extra Stamina for a flat bonus to your Evasion and then trying to roll under that number? I think that would satisfy giving the players the option to do both.

>Player A attacks Player B and must roll under 70 to hit
>Player A rolls 34
>Player B's Evasion is 30, so they can't do a basic Dodge
>Player B spends an extra Stamina point, boosting their Evasion by +10 to 40
>Player B must roll under 40 to Evade
>Player B rolls 60
>Player A's attack hits, they roll damage

Is that what you were thinking?
>>
>>43607678
Okay something like this might work. This is a variation on a mechanic I've been thinking of but haven't figured anything out to apply it to.

All actions are decided by rolling a pool of dice based on a fixed size + or - your Stat. Say, a fixed size of 5, so if you have -1 to a stat you roll 4, 3 for a stat you roll 8 dice. The dice in question are something moderately large, say d12s.

Your skill rank is a number between 0 and 10, with 0 being untrained and 10 being mastery.

To use a skill, you roll your dice pool (5 + Stat modifier), and any die that come are equal to or less than your Skill rank is counted as a success.

So if you have Stat = 2 and Skill = 5, you would roll a pool of 7 d12s and count any die that come up as 5s or lower as successes.

There. A system that, for largely arbitrary reasons, completely avoids the interaction of Stat + Skill.
>>
>>43607927
Not at all, but that does seem a good bit more interesting over the previous iteration. Maybe you can have some skills that move around your evasion thresholds to weird numbers too. Eg. 0 to 30 be comes 11-20, 41-50, and 81-90.
>>
>>43608123
That sounds interesting. Gives me something more to think about. Thanks!
>>
So, I'm presently working on a system whose primary theme is exploration with a group of companions and how they grow together as a group through to obstacles they face with the "focus" shifting between several phases that each work a little differently from each other.

Each phase usually requires a few skill checks and some roleplaying, and depending on how that goes the group gets resources for the next phase.

There's the "Town" phase, where the group interacts with Townies, procures quests and learns rumors or helpful information. Each quest has a "Trail" with a set amount of "Warmth", players can spend as long as they like in town earning money, following leads and studying/training, but each time they do the "Trail" loses "Warmth" and the quest will be harder to complete. Once they have done what they want, they can buy gear and embark.

Once they embark they are on the "Travel" Phase, where events happen, decided either by the GM based on what would be cool or what quests are being followed, or by random rolls if the GM feels so inclined. Depending on how the party handles these things they can gain extra resources for crafting/cooking/alchemy or information on their quest that can restore "warmth" or even followers or new quests. Sometimes it's just cool set-pieces that help make the world more alive. During theses the party can spend or earn "Unity" depending on how they roleplay. This can be spent to perform a variety of actions depending on the phase.

Cont.
>>
>>43608274
At the end of each day you have a "camp" Phase/scene. During this you basically have 8 hours to allocate between various tasks, either resting, taking watch, tending to wounds, hunting/gathering, cooking/crafting/alchemy, or even just shooting the shit with your team. During which you make a roll to see how well you do, and roleplay out the result. fuck up your medical check? Have your character explain to their patient what went wrong, or try to lie and cover it up. Roll bad at carousing? Maybe you got in a fight with your buddy over something stupid. Unity can be earned for good roleplay. Or spent to to help cover up a bad roll. Get in a fight with your buddy? Spend a point of Unity to make amends. Fuck up a medical check? Spend some Unity to give them a hand. Botch a crafting check? Spend some Unity to find them that part they needed.

Finally when they get to their destination, the group has to solve the problem, this can either involve a "Combat" phase, a "Puzzle" phase or "Negotiation" Phase. Combat is a whole other bucket of worms, but Puzzles are just puzzles, and Negotiation works much like "Skill Challenges" from d&d4e where each player goes around and chooses a skill to try, rolls it, and then them and the GM roleplay out how well it goes. The group needing x successes before y failures, but each player must participate, and everyone has to go once before someone can try again.

One of the big things about the system is that you roll for something, then roleplay based on how well you did. That way you don't go on a big monologue that's beautiful and poignant only to roll a 1 and the GM having to figure out how that speech failed to sway someone.

So, thoughts? Does breaking things down into different phases make a game too choppy? Is the Unity mechanic stupid? Should I just have people roleplay and then roll?

Any comments would be appreciated.
>>
>>43608401
No I like this a lot actually. You've got a lot of excellent ideas here.

>Phases
The key here is to make the non-combat phases mechanically dynamic and interesting. I hope you're not using DnD for that because it's not terribly good at handling non-combat checks. Which is fine because DnD has always been about fighting first and everything else second, accomplished by improvisation or DM fiat.

If your game is going to be ABOUT that kind of stuff, you're going to want mechanics and incentives for doing them. You're definitely on the right track for incentives, now you just need interesting mechanics. "Roll d20 + Skill, did you pass? Great you get bonus. Did you fail? Oh well too bad for you" isn't a great system for that kind of stuff. You want more granularity, more interesting things you can do to capture the interest of your group. Otherwise they'll want to skim through the Camp phase so they can get back to combat.

>Camping
Have you seen the previous for Final Fantasy 15? It's doing something interesting where you make camp at the end of the day to recover your health, cash in XP and acquire buffs for the following day based on what you do that night, such as eating quality food. That's definitely the approach you're taking, and the Unity mechanic is absolutely a step in the right direction. Build around that and you'll be in good shape.

>DnD 4e skill challenges
Don't do this. DnD 4e is great at a lot of things but non-combat actions isn't one of them, and skill challenges frankly are kind of dumb. Look into other, more narrative systems like Dungeon World, Mouseguard or FATE and see how those systems handle non-combat stuff.

But seriously though, this is one of the more interesting ideas posted in this thread because it's more than just "check out my kewl setting".
>>
If anyone knows anything about the One Roll Engine, I'm still looking for a little feedback on the rules I've written up for my sci-fi adventure game.

The PDF here covers rules for travelling at normal and faster-than-light speeds as well as rules for using a character's skills onboard a spacecraft. It's 12 pages but I think not terribly tedious to get through.

What I'm looking for is whether what I've written is concise, clear and simple, since those are the three main hallmarks of the One Roll Engine that I'm trying to preserve in this project.
>>
>>43607742
This is cool
>>
Allright /hbg/ Poll time!
>Do you have your own monster manual at the end of your homebrew?
>Do you make this baby from a scratch, or as a module of another system?
>Do you assign version numbers, project plan, timetables?
>>
File: Adult Brent Rambo Thumbs up.gif (2MB, 360x199px) Image search: [Google]
Adult Brent Rambo Thumbs up.gif
2MB, 360x199px
>>43606246

Thank you Dogfight Anon. Your review really opened my eyes, I really appreciate it.

The biggest thing I as the creator agree with you though is the magic user. It was something I was very torn on and trying to advance it. Sadly that version did not have any kind of streamlined rules as I hit a wall, but I think this review will help spur me on to fix it.

I'm also a little surprised you didn't mention anything about the spell learning/research system, which I personally was quite proud of.

Also
>Forgotten Gods
The game is called Fearsome Gods. I don't know if it was a joke or a typo or just a mistake, maybe its all 3.
>>
>>43608274
>>43608401
I'm agreeing with >>43608627
Keep going anon
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>>43608950

Hello, yes this is Dog(fight Anon). I changed my name to better suit the piece I'm working on.

Ha ha no that was totally a Typo. I thought for sure it was Forgotten Gods. Fearsome Gods is a way better name so good job with that.

>spell learning/research system
Can you cite the pages for that? I can take another look.

If you revise it and repost in the near future, please consider a brief table of contents on the first page so it's easy to get a feel for the structure of the work.
>>
>>43608627
Honestly, a large amount of my Tabletop background is D&D, but do my best to broaden my horizons, Runequest, then WH RPGs (fantasy and 40k), even some of the random ones from PDF share threads.

presently my mechanic is 2d10, roll under for individual rolls, and I'm trying to find ways to spruce it up. Group rolls are Player X(skill)+Player Y(skill)+Player z(skill) ect., roll under on a d100, which I'm even less sure about.

Degrees of Success are a thing, which come into play depending on the check. In combat, it provides the damage variable, in Negotiations it helps win the argument.

I'm toying with the idea of having Combat and Negotiations work basically the same way, which is:

>Attacker declares target
>Defender picks defense type (either a roll+modifier, or two flat numbers added together)
>Attacker spends up to a number Stamina/Will points to modify their attack their Combat/Negotiation Style
>Defender can elect to do the same
>Rolls are made, damage is calculated based on DoS+(Stat)+Equipment Bonus - DoS+(Stat)+Equipment Bonus.
>Damage is removed from Stamina/Will

Camping is inspired by both the Camping mechanic from Darkest Dungeons and this Houserule I saw where Characters had to take turns telling a story even time their characters made camp. The Unity system I jacked from what bits I remember from a system I found on a PDF Share thread.

Thoughts on what I could do to spice things up?
>>
>>43609221
Give characters more options for non-combat stuff. Think DnD 4e's Powers but extended to roles outside of just killing monsters.

Overall it seems like your game is structured around 3 types of activity-- Travel, Social and Battle. So you build your character by choosing powers from each of those three zones. Travel Powers are stuff like building shelters or collecting food. Social Powers include gathering information, smoozing with the upper crust or being an excellent bluffer. Battle powers are obvious.

Characters still have skills, but they also have these very effective Powers that they can employ on a limited basis to make non-combat more interesting. So a character can have a Bluff skill, but he also has a Social Power called Social Chameleon that lets him perfectly change his appearance to fit into any social setting. Or a character can have an Knowledge: Nature skill but he also has a Travel power called Nature's Gift that lets him heal an extra amount of health while camping using local materials.

Those are just off the top of my head, of course.
>>
>>43609489
That's kind of what I have in mind. Each player can chose traits based on their class, these are broken into 3 styles: Combat, Exploration and Companionship.

Combat traits are things you spend Stamina on in combat to modify attacks: Hitting harder, changing weapon type, tripping, ect.
Exploration Traits are things like opening up different branches of cooking, being a skilled climber, being able to swim, reroling checks
And Companionship traits are things that modify how you spend unity and the like, being able to take a hit for an ally because you are like a brother to them, being able to tend to someone better because you're the team mom, getting bonuses in combat because you and him and rivals and always trying to one-up the other.

Maybe I'll add a 4th category for social for people outside of the group.

Each different class gets a different amount from each category, so an ex-soldier would get more combat styles while a tracker would get more exploration. Things like that.

I want to keep each phase relatively short, combat is short and punchy, but not overly lethal, camp phases basically just go around the table a couple times, travel is usually 1-3 set-pieces before camp. I want to keep things rotating at a fairly nice pace, not rushed, but I don't want things to drag.
>>
>>43609654
>>43609489
Skills are basically a measure of how good you are at something, traits modify how you use that skill, to sum up. Someone could be a master swordsman, but not have many traits, but an amatuer chef could know how to make a million things, just not very well.
>>
>>43609654
>>43609672

These are great ideas. Keep working on them and you'll have something fantastic I think.
>>
>>43609792
Thanks, I intend to. No clue yet what I'm gonna call this thing yet though. I was thinking Brave New World or something inspiring but that's been taken.

Maybe Onward?

How do you guys come up with titles?
>>
So like, a week ago I promised (in a stat-me thread) I'd post my homebrew, one time playtested system for a Soul Calibur style game in englis, as a PDF.

Now I make good on my promise. Feel free to rip it apart. Will repost in the next SC thread (seems like it's in style now).
>>
>>43609194

Page 11 to 12.

I'd like to add a table of contents, sure. I only didn't for the rough copy because I wasn't sure how long and where everything would be.
>>
>>43609997
This is like staring into the heart of madness. Kind of in a good way-- I don't know if I really grasp it, but I definitely appreciate what it's going for. It kinda reminds me of the old white wolf Street Fighter RPG, except even more dedicated to bringing very specific video game mechanics to the table.

You say this has actually been playtested and it works? If so, then shine on you crazy diamond.
>>
>>43610269
Had like 3 games. It's set up to not require a map right now, but I can't decide if I should instead make it hex based, among other stuff...
>>
I'm also working on a Zombie, squad based tactics game, presently my plan is that players start with 1 character each, and then as more people join their team, they basically get some starting traits and then the players either take turns making them into custom characters or do it as a team. As the group grows they can split their group into smaller teams, presently named Amiss, Beholder and Creation.
Basically, Amiss is a "Frontline" group that has a higher chance of complications but gets the most action.
Beholder, which is either your back up or scouting team
and Creation, which is your newbie or home team, which get experience faster (to a point) but gets less action and has to deal with more Social conflicts.

Players have 7 Stats, each ranked 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 which represent what type of die they normally use. 6 is the average. Most rolls are 2dX vs a target number, usually 8 so that anyone has a chance of hitting it.

To explain things using Walking Dead as an example, as that was one of my inspirations, Rick would have a d8 or a d10 in Might, since he can off a walker in one blow without much build up (tripping it, pinning it, things like that). Maggie would have a d6, since she usually needs to set up her attacks, but usually offs them in one shot. Beth would have a d4 since she basically always needs to set up her kills, and even then its not a given. Michonne would have a d12, since she can basically walk through a field of walkers and be assured she will kill them every time.

Unique Mechanics:
>Incidental Stats: The FIRST TIME you test a stat, if it comes up Max Value (12 on 2d6), it permanently increases by one rank(d6>d8), if it comes up Minimum (2 on 2d6) it decreases by one (d6>d4)
>Squads, explained above, basically each squad has to deal with unique problems
>Multiple Characters per Player
>Social Complications, there's a good chance that if two people who have opposite personalities are left alone together they will fight.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43610311
I can't imagine how a grid or hex-map would improve it.

Soul Caliber is a non-platforming (i.e. Smash Brothers) fighting game. There are only two measurements of distance and position that really matter: close enough to hit the guy with your sword or all the way on the other side of the room where you can spam fireballs.

It seems mechanically complex enough without having to factor in grid movement.
>>
>>43610391
It'd not increase much, you'd just move on a grid instead of changing distance.

PS.: SC is 3d and has ringouts, also a map would make positioning for multiple players/fighters more precise.
>>
>>43610069
Okay I do remember reading that and noted that it's one of the few expressed ways that a magic user can become Harrowed.

I don't usually like systems where a character can spend months training to get some kind of benefit and then fail and check and have all that gone to waste, but fortunately yours isn't terribly punitive so it works to your advantage. I like that even if you do extremely badly, you still get a benefit in the form of being Harrowed, which adds to your Mana.

Try and extend that system to your non-magical characters to. Allow them to train at feats of incredible martial prowess at a risk of personal injury.

There's no reason why the Greater/Lesser structure can't be ascribed to martial exploits the same as it can to spells.
>>
>>43610391
Was a looong time since I last played SC, but doesn't different weapons/attack have significantly varied range, too?
>>
>>43610730
Range and distance is included by the stats/moves. So in 1v1 it wouldn't be that useful. A map would be useful for multiple combatants, and if the environment is important.
>>
>>43610482
>>43610730

Both valid points. I retract my objection.
>>
>>43610730
Yeah, SC is very much about positioning and range, more so than other fighters.
>>
>>43610325
I like the idea that your characters start off as blank slates and become more defined as the game progresses, rather than the players bring in fully formed character concepts from the moment of creation. Make sure you follow-through with that concept-- like characters don't get to have backstories until they survive a couple skirmishes, for example.

>Social Complications, there's a good chance that if two people who have opposite personalities are left alone together they will fight.
Can you elaborate on the mechanic that drives this?
>>
>>43611043
I'm thinking of having a "Personality" mechanic, something like the 4 temperaments and those on opposite ends are more likely to come into conflict, or even just have some characters as Aggressive and some as Defensive or Selfish vs Selfish, and if they spend too much time together they can run into conflict.

Just thinking of things that make it so occasionally you have to swap people between teams if they spend too much time together. Or you risk them coming into conflict, either taking penalties to working together, or actually fighting and ending up wounding the other. Things like that. You can put say Bob and Grace on a team, because they have similar temperaments, but if Bob spends to much time with Carl, they're gonna get in a fight, even though having them on a team together is a good idea in general.

I'm not sure how to implement it yet. I'm thinking either Temperaments or Connections. Temperaments would be like "All X Personalities have a chance to conflict with Y Personalities, but gets on well with X's or Z's."
Connections would be like "Bob doesn't like Carl much, but he likes Alice."

It wouldnt be like "Never put x and y in a group ever", more like "Put x and y together for a while, then swap x out for z and have x go be on another team for a bit so they can cool down."
>>
>>43611043
And in regards to the Blank Slate thing, yes. Basically I'd do something like, every "Time Increment" they survive, they get one "Background Point", which can influence their stats or give them a bonus skill or something of that nature, based on what they've been doing.

Like, Bob survives the attack in the forest, and that night at camp, he reveals that he and his dad use to go camping all the time, and thats why he survived. So he'd get a bonus related to either camping or forests or the like. Carl takes this time to admit to the group that he's killed a man before, in cold blood and that's why he survived the attack. So he'd get a bonus to with a specific weapon. Alice, however, just takes this all in and decides to hold her tongue, trying to find the right time to talk about herself, (she's waiting for a chance to find a connection for the bonus she wants.)
>>
Question, if I wanted to run a quick test of my system on /tg/ would I be better served running it here, or as a quest or something like that?
>>
>>43612186
you could always make a small roll20 room and invite people from here, you don't really need to flesh out a quest if what you want is test system stuff

i was able to test my stuff with some friends but it went something like
>you stand in a room with a single texture repeating throughout all surfaces, with a single omni light in the center; there are various floating objects that seem to glow
>faint vaporwave can be heard in the background
>while you're aware of your surroundings and feel your body moving, you're locked in T poses and only generate sound without moving your mouths or any other facial muscle for that matter
>on command from the ominous off-voice you hear in your heads, enemies start appearing only to be locked in an idle position, sometimes clipping through eachother in a most uncanny manner

then we were just testing theoretic scenarios rather than starting from the ground up

there's always people lurking the thread, specially since it's been more active lately compared to the first ones
>>
>>43612842
>>43612186
Seconding roll20. That's been an absolutely vital too for the game I've been working on.

>>43610391
Yeah, I think Soul Caliber would work better with range-band style positioning, where your position on the range band determines your chances of being ringed out.
>>
>>43612842
>there's always people lurking the thread, specially since it's been more active lately compared to the first ones

the key is to keep the conversation going. Don't just post your HB and hope someone comments on it, comment on other people and don't get salty if yours gets overlooked. We're creating a greater spirit of cooperation and forward progress that way.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vmmdy7d-s8vRj1Qs5HKyVMjVDW0epEfNHxasMuw5H84/edit?usp=

Made this homebrew system that uses a deck of playing cards. It's currently incomplete, but the core stuff is done. I want a reality check and feedback so I don't fuck up terribly. Feedback?
>>
>>43614832
Expanding on that, I'd actually go so far as to say Don't post your homebrew. Instead, post one specific aspect of your brew you want to have a conversation about. If you don't know what portion you want to discuss then find one. A lot more discussion can happen this way, either beneficial for you or someone.
>>
>>43615510
Now I need to figure out how to chop tempo up into parts that don't depend on each other.
>>
So the stats I'm using, for both my systems actually, are:
>Might: Physical Strength, hitting hard
>Endurance: Physical Stamina, keeping going and tanking hits
>Finesse: Hitting Accurately and being nimble with your hands
>Agility: being able to move into the right place at the right time, general nimbleness and flexibility
>Knowledge: Remembering facts and hard data, knowing something from a book
>Perception: being able to see the environment and use it to your advantage, situational awareness
>Wits: knowing what to say and how to read people, talking someone down or chatting someone up
>Poise: First impressions and giving off a certain "feel", looking calm under pressure or physically imposing or even timid and weak.

Thoughts? Right now I have it memorized as MEFAKPeWPo (Me-fack-pew-poh)
>>
>>43615684
This seems pretty interesting. Are rolls stat+something else, or stat+stat?
>>
>>43616114
Depends on the system, one is stat ranks tied to die size vs target number, the other is stat+skill roll under.
>>
>>43611295
Connections seem like a better fit, you could have them form at the same time as Background Points being spent. Using the example in >>43611507 right after Carl confesses about killing a man, Bob can openly question how the group can trust him, souring their Connection. Alice defends him, because maybe Carl had his reasons, improving it. You can also maybe let it be influenced during zombie attacks, like Carl saving Bob, improving their Connection a good bit. You'll probably need a good objective way of determining when to modify Connections though.

Also, hopefully the Background Points don't end up being just "I used to do X, which is why I survived", though I guess that depends on the players. Encouraging "Hey, we passed through Y didn't we? Man I used to love doing that." would good.

>>43615503
I'm going to have to read through this again later slowly, but overall due to how you draw cards directly from the deck, the players still have little choice in influencing stuff, making it no different to rolling a d8, 6-8 being faces, odd numbers being reds, evens being black. Adding the mechanic of hand management might turn this around, draw up to 7, play up to 5. Play good cards early, do terribly later, and vice versa. Stress cards work fine playing from the deck, since they're supposed to be curveballs.

I'll try and address traits later. Also, where do the coins/chips come in?
>>
Hi, I have a question.

Let's say I have a dice mechanic where you roll opposed dice pools, and compare the highest two dice out of your dice pool to determine success or failure.
Rerolling 1's seems like it would be a cool thing to be able to do, but what about exploding dice?
Is there much of an advantage to exploding dice pools when you only keep the highest two dice anyway?
Your thoughts.
>>
>>43617190
Thanks!
I was playing around with hand management earlier. A previous version had it so you could pick up and play leftover cards from your checks.

My issue is that it adds a lot of upfront complexity. I was thinking that a lot of things could be made as abilities, so not every player has to know it up front, only if they pick the ability. You wouldnt have to track a hand, or topdeck manipulation powers , or discard manipulation or kicker abilities unless you picked them.

Coins and chips...crap. That used to be how you tracked persona, but that got merged into a stat. Bad editing on my part.
>>
Homebrew general, I need advice.

Long story short, I have a dieselpunk setting. It's a fictional world, similar to the 1920s irl.

There are a number of details that make it different from our own world. For example, a lot of things have different names based on old terms that didn't quite catch on, to highlight how things could have been different in our world. Movers, locomobiles, etc. There's also slang that's unique to the setting, which I made to parody 20s slang.

There are other details too, but I just know players would get frustrated trying to remember all the different names for things instead of just calling a car what it is, or trying to figure out if being called "moral" is a good or bad thing.

How can I keep the tone of the setting without it devolving into a fictional copy of the 1920s?
>>
>>43617211
Exploding could give you more dice options, say roll 2d6, explode on a 6, someone rolls a 6 and a 3, his third roll is a 5. Such a system would probably be better with higher numbered dice though.

>>43617368
Rereading it, and I just realized that 'pitching' a card is exactly that, hand management, sorry about that. There's still randomness, but it'll probably be more controlled due to the use of abilities. Though maybe change your wording to "choose a specific card instead of playing the highest".

To avoid cheating when shuffling, you could have everyone shuffle a new deck two-three times. Though due to how a deck of cards and your system works, cheating doesn't really benefit you unless you know for sure the game is going to end soon (place all black cards at the top, all red cards at the bottom, definitely going to have trouble later).

I don't think having vague traits presents a problem, it might it even be beneficial in order to produce interesting interactions between players. The definition of Attributes however, should be agreed upon by the GM at the very least, to prevent problems in interpretation later. Example, a player uses "Captain" to mean he can command airplanes, sail boats, or anything that has a Captain on board.

>>43617483
I think if the players are absorbed enough into the setting, there wouldn't be any real problems in remembering even the smaller details, much less any setting specific terms and slang. Encouraging their use by the GM could exacerbate it further.
>>
File: 1320540380720.jpg (107KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
1320540380720.jpg
107KB, 1024x600px
I need ideas for Objectives for a skirmish game.

It's post-apoc, it's played w/ 5~10 models on each side, and it's not "hard-science," but you're not going to see any laser pistols or giant monsters. In-setting "the meteor did it," is both the reason the world ended, and the explanation for anything that doesn't' quite add up.

Too date all test plays of the game have just been deathmatch. I'd like to have there be objectives in the game so that it's not just 'shoot the other guys.' You can always just 'shoot all the other guys,' but if you finish the Objective the round ends and you win too.
>>
>>43621490
Common objectives are usually
- get to an area/building/item
- control an area/building/item
- destroy an area/building/item
- defend an area/building/item
- kill a specific enemy unit
- collect an item
- do something under X turns

Imperial Assault or Descent rulebooks usually has scenarios too, try looking at those for more examples.
>>
>>43608747
Can you throw me a Gdocs (hate it but it's far better than the alternatives) link for that?
>>
>>43621747

>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byuz9dMAyuWeT1hpUGktOVVDZTQ/view?usp=sharing

>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byuz9dMAyuWecV9CVTJ1Q2hmTms/view?usp=sharing

First link is for .docx, second is PDF.
>>
>>43615510
I can agree with that. The general rule of thumb should be "don't post the whole thing unless someone asks for it". I think we've developed a pretty strong groove here with giving constructive comments to individual questions
>>
>>43615551
How long is it? If it's less than 20 pages I'll gladly take a look at the whole thing.
>>
>>43608747
Pretty easy to understand thanks to the many sections it is broken down to, I would recommend underlining important sentences in case a reader misses it though. While I wouldn't say it is concise, I have too little experience with RPG rulebooks to have a proper say in that matter.
>>
>>43621899
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>43617211
Reading this at first I wasn't quite grasping it, but actually it's not a bad idea. Comparing your two highest dice means that ties are rare, and even if they did happen you can just knock out the equal dice and force the players to use their next two highest. It would definitely give the feel of going up against someone in a duel-like scenario.
>>
>>43617483
Tone is based more on the overall feel of the game than on minor details like slang and alternate universe terminology. It's easy to do in a work of narrative fiction, much harder in a cooperative roleplaying game.

I'd suggest not dwelling on it too much; you can convey tone more by what the characters see and do than by what words they use. Players inevitably come up with their own OOC slang for stuff that they deal with regularly anyway.

Like >>43619142 said, trying to force your new terminology on players in order to maintain a specific tone will generally have the opposite effect.
>>
>>43606842
I don't know what any of those mean
>>
>>43622403
I am ashamed to admit that I was about to look up the meaning of the word "exacerbate" in Google, but then my internet died and when it came back I completely forgot to look it up and posted without double checking.

What I meant was if the GM used certain terms frequently enough, eventually players would follow suit, not because they feel forced to, but they'd get used to a word meaning a thing and it'd just come out naturally. Like how Archives, Cliqs, etc. come naturally to Netrunner players. If the GM adopts a 1920s persona, eventually the players will too. This depends on your players though, and forcing it does usually have the opposite effect.
>>
>>43621996
Definitely less than 20. Single column layout, font size 11, with a fair bit of whitespace to boot.
>>
>>43619142
Thanks! The thing about vague traits was that if I just have a trait system, people will take the largest traits possible. This is because it provides a good part of your roll bonus, and you as a player want it to apply as much as possible.

The thing is that more specific things can be a lot more interesting, or flesh out a character more. I can't force a character to do anything, but the system tries to allow you to take specific traits without screwing yourself over mechanically because you have a fallback. It also encourages you to choose traits that have some ability to be , because you can pump them for persona points.
>>
>>43622964
Post a PDF here. I'll take a look at it.
>>
>>43622997
Ahh, that's true. I assume the largest traits would probably stuff like "Justice", "Happiness", or "Safety"? Perhaps as a method of encouraging more specific traits, make a loose format for it? Something like "Verb Adjective Subject" (protect beloved family). Alternatively, decreasing the bonus given when using a vague trait. Example, A has the 'Justice' trait and decides to help B, but since it is vague, it could represent A's uncertainty about whether or not what they are actually doing is 'Justice'. Meanwhile, C helps B, but since he has the 'Justice for Those Who Can't Stand for Themselves', his conviction is stronger and thus gains a larger bonus. You can let players further specify their traits as their character develops if necessary (A later refines his 'Justice' trait to 'Dealing Justice by Discovering and Revealing the Truth').
>>
So, when y'all think of "Flurry" like attacks, basically getting an additional attack in a turn, do you normally think of it being weaker, less accurate, or both? One of the weapon traits in my game that differentiates knives from similar, improvised weapons, is that knives get a "Flurry" attack. I want it to be useful, but not something they use EVERY time.

Presently against a normal enemy (zombies in this case) they need a 4 on 2d6 to hit and an 8 on 2d6 to kill it. Extra damage that isn't enough to immediately kill it is lost because, well, it's a zombie. I've been playing with just lowering attack, but that makes it so they ALWAYS want to flurry, because the attack Target Number is so low and the damage Target Number is comparatively high.

Thoughts on balancing?
>>
>>43623087
http://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1vmmdy7d-s8vRj1Qs5HKyVMjVDW0epEfNHxasMuw5H84%2Fedit%3Fusp%3DD

Here is the Google docs link. I'm on a phone and can't convert to PDF until.much later this afternoon.
>>
>>43623517
Inflict status? Status on hit tends to be one of the things that work well with flurry attacks. It also makes it feel different than just more damage.
>>
Question for the thread:

For a little background, in my homebrew a spacecraft is essentially made-up of various systems like Thrust, Weapons, Shields, ect, that are added to a player's Flight Skills when used. So firing Weapons can be Defense + Weapon, for instance. Pretty standard stuff. Systems are measured in the number of d10s that you roll along with the Flight skill, written as Xd like 1d, 3d, 5d.

One of the Systems that a Craft can have is Sensors, which are your standard "Mr. Data scan the planet for lifesigns" type thing. My original plan was for there to be a system called Macrosensors, which is a broad, generalized sensor system, and then you can have any number of Microsensor systems that cover specific areas, such as lifesigns or technology.

What I'm thinking of doing instead is as follows:

>There is a single system called Sensors.
>Roll Flight + Sensors to do a general sensor sweep
>A Craft's Sensors also have an Array, which covers the various specialized Sensor probes it can perform. Players can choose from a list of special sensors, or can make up their own
>The size of your Array is equal to how many dice you have in Sensors. 1d = 1 special sensor, 4d = 4 special sensors
>This means that a spaceship with minimal sensors (1d) has two sensor options: a general sweep, or a sweep using their single special sensor function

Here's how the two ideas compare visually:

>CONCEPT A (micro vs macro)
Macrosensors: 3d
Microsensors [Lifesigns]: 2d
Microsensors [Long Range]: 3d
Microsensors [Cloak Detection]: 3d

>CONCEPT B (Sensor array)
Sensors: 3d
---Lifesigns
---Long Range
---Detect Cloak

With Concept A, you buy dice in each Microsensor individual, while in Concept B you are only buying dice in Sensors in general, and as you get more dice the scope of your Array expands.

I'm personally leaning towards Concept B.

My apologies if this reads like gibberish.
>>
>>43623597
I'm trying to think of a good status that it would inflict. It's for the aforementioned Zombie Tactics game, so things are pretty low minutiae as far as individual characters go. Right now my statuses are "Stunned" which makes it so you can't attack that turn, "Weakened" which makes a specific stay roll 3dX drop highest, and "Strengthened" which is the opposite. Certain weapons are also "Deadly" which makes you test endurance or die right out if you are hit, but those are extremely rare.
>>
>>43623668
Oh! There's also "Set-Up" which makes boosts the next attack against it by a dice size".
>>
How do you present your homebrew so people look at it and offer feedback?
I such at writing posts.
>>
>>43617190
I do agree that connections would probably work better. Maybe give some incentive to weaken connections! Like a "drama token" system or something? Otherwise the group has no reason not to become some big happy family instead of uniquely broken people.
>>
Hey homebrew,

Gonna be forking the Frightfully Cheerful system for future gameplay. I like the rules-light system a lot and want to implement just a few new things, but haven't really bench tested any of the original. Anyone have experience with this one?

Also, gonna need a table for rolling collateral damage. I see a lot of furniture bursting into flames, wall-gouging, and expensive vases blowing to smithereens. Anything already existing?
>>
>>43623575
>Core mechanic
I dig this 100%. It's clean and clear, fast and flexible. I like the Red= complications, Black=windfalls mechanic. I think a lot of paying card based mechanics draw on the suits themselves, but colors is definitely an easier, breezier way to approach it. I also like that you aren't assigning special value to each individual face card.

Question about pitching: you explain that "you have to decide to do this before you tell the GM the result of your check." Does that mean you have to say "I'm pitching my face cards" before you start drawing, or does it just mean that you can't relocate pitched or held face cards after you've declared what's what? Like if you draw a 9 and three face cards, you say "I'm pitching one" so you have a total of 11 +1 Pitch, but it the GM tells you that you only needed a 10 you can't go around and say "then I'll pitch another one" after the fact. Correct?

I also like the fact that you only reshuffle if the conflict ends or if you run out of cards. The game is almost like Battle Blackjack (Battlejack?), because if you use up all your high cards then you'll be depleted for later action, whereas getting crappy cards at the start of a scene means your cards later on will be better. I guess that's why you're calling it tempo, yeah? It's actually genius now that I think about it.

I actually think you should do a little more with what happens when you deplete your deck. As it stands, reshuffling your discard pile kinda means that a conflict can continue indefinitely if nobody gets the upperhand, and each time the discard is reshuffled everyone gets a fresh start resource wise. What if instead when you reshuffle the discard, you then cut it? That would totally change up the dynamic-- you get a second wind in the scene, but now you have no clue if your deck is loaded with high cards or low cards, numbers or faces. Suddenly the flow of the scene is shifted dramatically and anything can happen.
>>
>>43624149
>Points, Ratings, Stats and Qualities
Pretty elegant system you've got here too. I'm not really sure what Temporary Points mean at this juncture-- I'd suggest explaining what they do before you go into why you want to use them. The idea is pretty solid though, as explained in the Stat Points section.

I'm not sure if I see where Persona really fits into the Stat system when Mind, Voice and Spirit already kind of cover the same bases.

Qualities are nice too, definitely reminds me of PBtAW, as well as FATE to some extent. They're basically resources that you can draw on to boost your checks, yes?

>Group stuff
I'm glad that you put this in because a lot of games take for granted that all the characters are working towards a common goal without really putting much thought into how and why they do that.

>Stress
Abstracted HP yessss. I'm assuming that players draw from their own decks, yes? If so then the unstated fallout of the system is that, for major stress, the player knows exactly how it's going to affect his future draws, because he can see the value of the card. If he keeps drawing big numbers for Stress and managing to pass your check, he knows that he's drawing his reserves thin. On the other hand if the stress is minor (aka face down), then he doesn't actually know how badly the stress will screw him in the short term. It's...diabolical.
>>
>>43624169
Final thoughts on Tempo RPG >>43623575

>What's my favorite thing about Tempo RPG?
The unspoken, underlying blackjack mechanic. As long as a scene goes on and you don't deplete your deck, then short term success leads to late term trouble, and shorterm hardship leads to better results later in the scene. If you can enhance this element of the game then you'll be in business.

>What's my least favorite thing about Tempo RPG?
Well it's clearly a work in progress so there's not much I can say, but as it stands the main problem I think is that it's hard to really visualize a character as a working whole as you read through the handbook. Right now it's very numbers based, very mechanical. Be sure to emphasize how those numbers relate to a character so the reader, GM and player knows that they are more than just mathematical concepts.

>Would I play Tempo RPG?
Yes. Now I understand that this is a universal system, but is there a specific genre that you're aiming for with this?
>>
>>43623618
Im liking option B, especially if during a scan you can allot dice into the performance of the scans.
>>
>>43624183
>Question about pitching: Like if you draw a 9 and three face cards, you say "I'm pitching one" so you have a total of 11 +1 Pitch, but it the GM tells you that you only needed a 10 you can't go around and say "then I'll pitch another one" after the fact. Correct?

Yes this. It makes everything smoother and more fair.

So far as the discard pile, I'll consider messing with the discard pile mecahnics. Your idea sounds cool. I just don't want to add too much to remember during gameplay.

Persona as a stat is kind of a kludge. I wanted to keep to the theme of 5, and keep things consistant. It is more a measure of "player level" and the metagame resource
>>
>>43624183
I am really glad you liked the mechanics and will try to tighten up the wording. As of now, I'm going more for a feel than a setting. The mechanics are built to emphasize taking risk and story growth. I have settings in mind, but its more about the flow of the game at this point.
>>
>>43624504
I think the game would work well with a noir or organized crime setting to be honest. The card mechanics help with that too. Since the whole game is kind of about pushing your luck it makes sense to use it to explore characters on the fringes of society risking their lives around people who'll gladly kill them.

Horror would probably work pretty well too.
>>
File: Sin_of_Damnation.jpg (86KB, 873x610px) Image search: [Google]
Sin_of_Damnation.jpg
86KB, 873x610px
>The campaign world is not actually a planet, but an ancient wreck of an ultra-tech starship
>The moons are also ships, all the other planets (and their moons) are ships, asteroids and other celestial objects are fighters and other smaller spacecrafts
>The sun is the result of a gigantic flagship's power core exploding and the chain reaction still going on, hundreds of millions of years later
>Clearly a space battle took place here
>On many of these "worlds", the artificial forests and jungles they used to generate air have spread up and long since covered entire ships, sapient life eventually evolving in them
>Technology level of these inhabitants is pretty much your classic medieval fantasy, there are princesses and dragons and dwarves and magic and all that shit
>On each ship, entire kingdoms and dynasties fit in more or less comfortably, though they sometimes fight wars and stuff
>"Magic" is a combination of psychic powers and ancient high technology that no one really knows how it works anymore
>"Gods" are ship A.Is that are in contact with one another and have long since gone insane, legitimately believing in their own divinity and that they created and nurtured the many races on their worlds (sometimes this may even be true)
>You all meet in an inn

On a scale of 1 to 10, how shit is this idea?
>>
>>43624358
Yeah, if one crew member is rolling Flight + Sensors then another can roll Engineering + Sensors to boost their output or to reroute power from one system to another for a period of time.

If they're really good, the same person can do both or all three at once by taking dice penalties to do Multiple Actions.

One Roll Engine is awesome.
>>
>>43624702
It is "Steampunk but with X, instead!"
>>
File: Okay.png (137KB, 680x875px) Image search: [Google]
Okay.png
137KB, 680x875px
>>43624755
Sheesh, that bad?
>>
>>43624702
I think it's pretty awesome. I particularly like the idea of the perpetually exploding core of the ancient ship serving as the sun, and "magic" being access to the technology built into the ship.

Questions:
>Where do the dragons and dwarves and stuff come from?
>How many worlds/ships are there?
>How do people travel between worlds/ships?
>>
>>43624805
In order: divergent evolution, maybe a couple dozen at most (and not all of them would have any working air generators and therefore would be dead and lifeless), and either through old and barely functioning teleporters or not really at all.
>>
>>43624702
why dragons and dwarves and not something original?
>>
>>43624854
>Divergent evolution
In addition to that, what if some of the nastier stuff like dragons and cockatrices and stuff are the result of insane AI Gods mucking around with animal stock for their own amusement?

Like, we got this crocodile here, let's make it 70 feet long with wings that breathes acid and sheds nanotech that animates the dead into shambling thralls and call it a necrotic black dragon.
>>
>>43624900
Well, I find it much easier to muck about with entire worlds and laws of physics and stuff like that, than with individual creatures. There are like millions of different types of monsters to choose from, but just about all the worlds are in the typical mold of a planet, sun, and maybe a moon or three.

Maybe I could choose some of the less-overused creatures from that gigantic list, though.

>>43624902
I do like this idea.
>>
>>43624941
>Maybe I could choose some of the less-overused creatures from that gigantic list, though.

You have to be wary of going overboard with that though. The reason why dwarf, elf and orc are so omnipresent in fantasy RPGs is that they've entered the collective consciousness of the public. As a result it's easy for someone to grasp the fantastical elements of a story if they aren't also wrestling with the base identity of the creatures inhabiting the world.

Dwarf and elf are perfectly fine fantasy creatures that have been part of humanity's shared mythology for thousands of years. Focus more on what makes them unique in your setting-- there's no reason every dwarf needs to have scottish accent and carry an axe, for instance.
>>
>>43625077
Start with a weird world full of familiar creatures, then once the players have gotten used to the setting, throw in some weirder creatures. That makes sense.
>>
>>43624793

>The campaign world is not actually a plane, but a leisure cruiser from an alternative timeline's future (ours, but wait)
>The other planes are also cruisers, some from the past and some from the future, with the odd plane and airship thrown in, in various states of decay
>The energy source for this plane and all the other planes involved is a cosmic fault which can be seen by everyone as a caleidoscope of isolated rays of light energy
>Secretly this energy source is just the gravitational pressure bubble several heavy black holes in another universe affecting this plane
>Clearly this plane and all the others connected to it by way of the caleidoscope are artifical in origin
>The inhabitants of the planes come from varying epochs of our own as well as others, past, present and "fake"
>Essentially this whole setting is the answer to "what if the bermuda triangle was a portal to another place and the people who got transferred there suddenly shrunk?!?!"
>Of course, no one but me has asked this question like that and I am currently enjoying myself
>Everyone is essentially a pixie or a sprite living without and with wings on boats and planes, eating moss and herding birds and rats living on these machines
>The gods are normal-sized beings, like a normal-sizes bonsai tree, normal-sized dogs, so that there are whole races of gods which much be appeased or fought or sicced upon your enemies
>The only way to find other worlds, to escape from this ship or airplane, is to learn the seemingly ancient ways of RAY-DIO
>>
>>43625221
That's a good way of looking at it. Commonly accepted elements like elves and dwarfs help usher the audience into the weirder elements of the world. Works that throw the audience into a truly foreign world are a lot harder to approach.
>>
Am i shooting for the stars and falling down with my sci-fi setting's arms race between each species:
>Humans have gigantic spaceships called "Planetary Rams" that are giant flagships armed from helm to bow and it's final resort attack is to, well, ram the enemy planet and destroy all life in there
>Alien race #1 has their flagships carry cannons that fire missiles that drill into the core of the planet and halt it, fucking up gravity and everything on the planet
>Alien race #2 also arms their flagships with laser cannons that cut planets in half
>Alien race #3 has bio-weaponry that can turn planets into barren wastelands devoid of all life within an hour of deploying
>And finally Alien race #4 has bombs that can and will set atmospheres on fire

Idea is to have a balance of terror between the aliens and humans to force an uneasy alliance even though all races have it this point committed genocide on each other on a yearly basis some time ago.
>>
>>43625735
A common enemy would help.
>>
>>43625845
Bein' ballin' an idea, but they all seem completely redundant. The ideas being;
>Tyranid type of galaxy spanning hivemind species hellbent on eating stars
>Alien races #5 and #6 who are sub-races from each other that are more advanced and have the best military in the galaxy
>Massive solar system sized planet-eating sentient blackhole type entity that some people worship as the prophetic Annihilator
>>
>>43625931
#3 is the most interesting of the options presented.
>>
>>43625931
It could be something less material and more abstract, as well - or something purely theoretical, that they don't know is real but fear nonetheless.
>>
>>43626523
>>43626642
What about if i go with #3 that's just actually just dark space they can't penetrate with their equipment (a completely dark galaxy perhaps?), but the cultists who discovered it are insane and think that it actually is a sentient blackhole and it spread through the galaxy like wildfire?
>>
>>43626705
*see through. I meant see through
>>
>>43589946
That book is being ruined by that blood...
>>
So, I rolled up a little test scenario of my system, and although I only have a few random starter traits to chance upon, I have a group of 3 survivors left, one a Soft Spoken guy with a knife, a Small gal who is carrying our food because she got boosted Agility so she moves faster, and a Talkative guy with an Improvised weapon.

So far just a few random traits helps turn these walking stat blocks into a bit more of characters.
>>
>>43626854
that blood is the book's
>>
FYI with the weekend coming I probably won't be posting much or at all in this thread, but I'll keep an eye on it. Anyone who wants to reach me can email me at my gmail at dev.strangematter
>>
>>43622346
>>43619142

Yeah! Handling ties works rather nicely in this game. The playtests have been going quite well.

Here's a quick overview of the system:

Each character has five traits arranged in priority and ranked with a die ranging from d4 to d12.

You roll a dice pool with two of your traits plus bonuses against an opposing dice pool. The highest two dice in your pool are compared against the highest two in the opposing pool to determine success. Third highest die is used to break ties.

Traits are two-edged swords; the GM often gets to add your own traits to your dice pool so that you are basically rolling against your own character to do stuff. For example, you have a Monster trait used for tasks involving perception or special abilities, but your GM can use it against you for social actions.

If the highest single die in your dice pool beats the sum of the highest two dice in the opposing dice pool, it's a critical success! (This mechanic works best with dice pools containing big dice, like d10's or d12's.)

There's a "Relationship Ball" that players pass around when characters interact with one another or target one another with actions. If you have the Relationship Ball, you can raise it while rolling and exclaim something entertaining in-character to either explode dice or reroll 1's. (This mechanic works best with dice pools containing a lot of small dice.) The Relationship Ball can't be raised again until it's been passed. Many characters also have special abilities that depend on who currently has the Relationship Ball.
>>
>>43625931
Option C
[Lavos Intensifies]
>>
File: HARDSUITS OF THE WORLD.jpg (189KB, 836x463px) Image search: [Google]
HARDSUITS OF THE WORLD.jpg
189KB, 836x463px
I've been drawing up some mechs from around the world and fiddling around with how different cities might produce differing designs.

So far i've got a few countries such as
>Not-Russian: cheap and cheerful suits with reliable but underpowered tech
>not-UK: recovering from a bio-attack its suits have superior environmental seals and a weird reliance on grapple hooks
>not-Serbia: urban combat experts, hardsuits usually have tracks on their legs and a penchant for city traps and ambushes
>Not-Mongolia: long range combat, scouting and drone using hardsuits

Open to ideas and suggestions for other places
>>
Question: would it be a valuable use of my time to make a "mode" of my game that functions GM-lessly? Would that increase reception as it would let people test it on their own to see if it was interesting? Or just be a waste of time?
>>
>>43629097
Not-Ireland? Uses speed and explosives including traps like mines and remote bombs?
>>
>>43631400
Depends on your game. I find that GM-less games tend to work better with simple rules (you want to avoid arguments over the rules) and with a lot of random tables or built in game AI so that the system can kind of run itself.

>>43629097
>Not-Japan:
Copies not-USA, but makes it better.
>Not-China:
Copies not-USA, but makes it cheaper.
>Not-Korea:
Copies not-USA, but takes credit for inventing it.
>>
>>43596089
Hey man, I'm that guy who was playtesting for you. We didn't get to do much, one of the players got pissy and it became a thing, but we did have a game for what it's worth and enjoyed ourselves, I'll post criticism after work if I remember
>>
Just sold my 3rd copy of Guns 'n Grenades!
>>
>>43632297
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Keep up the good work!
>>
>>43631743
Well the system is a Tactics style game, so it'd be simple enough to write some "scripts" since the basic enemy is really dumb, and I have some practice writing up random encounter charts (it's a lonely life out in the sticks). My real question is it worth it to include or should I just skip it and assume people can find groups.
>>
>>43632407
Maybe look into Kingdom Death: Monster if you haven't already. I haven't gotten to play it yet, but I hear it is a really fun GM'less tactics game.
>>
>>43631743
>Not-Japan
>better

The others are spot on. Why not combine all three. They have excellent Engineers, but they're hampered by inferior part quality. They have an extreme inferiority complex which leads to vendettas during battle. Obviously has a reliance on bladed weaponry plus an included suicide switch as a last resort.
>>
File: dokdo.jpg (307KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dokdo.jpg
307KB, 1600x1200px
>>43632791
>Why not combine all three.

Whoa there, buddy.
Combine Korea and Japan? I don't think you understand the Korean situation.
Do you know about Dokdo?
>>
>>43632970
>Combine Korea and Japan?
Actually what anon said was combine NOTjapan and NOTkorea
with NOTjapan being a superior clone of NOTamerica hardware and NOTkorea just taking credit for inventing everything.
Thus said combo would be a fictional country in fictional land whose defining trait is making superior copies of hardware while claiming to have invented everything.
>>
>>43633307
Do they eat the kimchi?
>>
Still trying to work out character classes for my game. I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out what niches need to be filled in my game, and the best way of going about doing that. Hopefully the next playtest will yield some good insights.
>>
>>43633339
>Do they eat the kimchi?
they make sushi out of it
>>
>>43632791
>>43633307
I kinda like the idea of fusion expy countries for a setting.
What are some of the best combos you guys can think of?
>>
>>43633377
That's kimbap. Kimbap is Korean~!
Japan is always stealing Korean creations!
THE JAPANESE MUST DIE~!
>>
>>43633394
UK, USA, and France.
>>
>>43633434
kek. nice one.
>>
>>43633460
>UK, USA, and France.
I am a bit rusty on the stereotypes of these 3 nations. Can you explain what you envision the combo expy to be like?
>>
>>43632436
That's actually part of my inspiration, mostly that each player gets multiple characters. I wish I could look at the actual game without shelling out like 200 bucks.
>>
>>43633487
The British Empire shaped the modern world, America shapes the world today, and France, besides being historically one of the greatest military and cultural powers of the western world, shaped Britain and America into the major powers they would later become.
>>
>>43633531
Yes but that doesn't explain what actual traits the composite fictional nation of USKF would have. Do they eat croisants while making quirky humorous TV shows and police the world? or wat?
>>
I'm planning on writing a system-agnostic setting, about what happens when a adventurous realm is suddenly drained of all of its magic, and the repercussions thereof.
The gods had a good reason for leaving, but they still had to leave and never return, and they took all the 'true' magic with them, trusting that those who live in the Material Plane could handle themselves.
However, this means that there are no 'new' souls- only so many people can live at once, and that many must do so, a true reincarnation cycle.
Creatures people have taken to calling 'Weirds' sometimes rise when people die, effectively an elemental with a fragment of the original's memories and skills.
However, most of the time, the deceased leaves a ghost.
Weirds must be destroyed or ghosts laid to rest for new children to be born, and after the catastrophic events that led up to what has occurred, there are a lot of wierds and ghosts.
Furthermore, some people use wierds or ghosts as 'components' (read: powered by soul) for pseudo-magical items.
All that would go by the name of spellcasting has been replaced by bargaining with or manipulating weirds or ghosts.
Several societies have collapsed, and most of the world's population has come together in a World Council to discuss where to go from here.

Intent: Roleplaying, challenges, and storytelling should be given approximately equal footing.
Premise: The premise if hope in the face of a cataclysm and the impact a shifted paradigm has on a formerly fantastical realm.
Mood: Slightly more idealistic than cynical. As much as has been lost, it is an opportunity for the players to help craft a new world.
Focus: The focus is on the setting and how the players react to and shape it.
Realism: Definitely more fantastic than realistic, though magic is less widespread and not as most might expect from, say, Dungeons and Dragons.

How would I go about, say, constructing a setting book with enough information to make games consistent but not restrictive?
>>
>>43633868
If Japan/Korea/China is robot-samurai with katanas, then UK/France would be tank-knights with guns supported by rows of Agincourt archers/Napoleonic soldiers. USA would be a sub-faction with more ruggedly individualistic versions of the same stuff, and bigger guns.
>>
>>43623517
If you have a stamina mechanic, flurry attacks could tire out the user quickly. Otherwise, you could give it a huge opening when the attack ends. It would turn into a 'high risk high reward' thing that way.

>>43623618
Concept B does seem like the less complicated of the two, but my slight worry is that it would make the sensors really powerful really quickly. It also seems slightly weird in that the special sensors can be as strong as general sensors by upgrading a single, in a complex game that includes mechanics for the smallest detail.

I think it depends on how crunchy you want the sensors section to be, Concept A offers customization by letting certain special sensors be more powerful than the rest, while Concept B is a lot simpler and quite easy to understand.

>>43623780
See the discussion on an executive summary of homebrews starting on >>43606312.

>>43623801
Forcing the drama doesn't feel quite right, plus I'm sure since the players have their own ideas on how their characters behave, they'll introduce drama on their own initiative. The GM should introduce scenarios that test their connections of course, things should tumble on their own that way. You can always modify it after playtesting too.
>>
>>43634197
>See the discussion on an executive summary of homebrews starting on >>43606312.
I'll look into that then, sorry.
>>
>>43625931
How about a plague that is killing everyone and the factions have to form a temporary truce to find a countermeasure, as well as the source? Tension could come from suspecting a faction, but don't want to accuse in case they decide to destroy their planet. No alien #5 as the culprit, one of them must be the source, which could be different depending on the campaign.

>>43627704
Sounds like a pretty nice system, rolling against your own character especially looks interestingly cruel.

>>43629097
Not-medieval era England: Close ranged specialists with high armor, probably slower than most mechs.
A country with a combat doctrine of atleast 2-3 mech per group working together with atleast 3-4 other groups.

>>43633884
Probably start with the history of the place, leading up to the current time and place after the gods left. Then start determining rules for all the unique elements in the setting, what are Weirds, how they are used, etc.
>>
>>43633989
>then UK/France would be tank-knights with guns supported by rows of Agincourt archers/Napoleonic soldiers. USA would be a sub-faction with more ruggedly individualistic versions of the same stuff, and bigger guns.
Is it ok to have a boner right now?
>>
>>43634197
>flurry
No stamina mechanic presently, as that seems really annoying to keep track of in a tactics-style game where you have multiple dudes

>drama
With how the connections system would work, there needs to be some incentive to have a slightly dysfunctional group, considering that a good connection lets each member stay in one team longer, and I want them to regularly rotate characters between teams, giving them a Benny for losing connection seems like a decent way to do that, without adding a ton of minutiae to a wider scope game.

I am open to suggestions tho
>>
>>43634762
>>43634197
Plus once characters start as blank slates, and earn their background, it helps flesh out characters as they go
>>
>>43634816
*Since
I meant since
>>
>>43634762
In that case, a simple "do flurry, next damage received gets a d6 modifier" or similar seems fitting.

Does your system have a sort 'virtue and vice' system? That could help introduce conflicting personalities with each other. Or the previously mentioned Temperament might work too.

Though honestly, I don't think you need to worry about shuffling teams. Sure, characters who fit each other would stick together (as actual humans do), but send them together often enough and eventually one of them will die, forcing a shuffle anyway. Then there's the scenario itself which can form/weaken connections, like A abandoning B to save himself, only to have A return safely and report B's behavior to the group, worsening B's connection with everyone. The characters will grow themselves, it's up to the GM to provide a scenario which can influence the path of growth.
>>
File: REVISED MAP SMALL.jpg (308KB, 838x828px) Image search: [Google]
REVISED MAP SMALL.jpg
308KB, 838x828px
>>43631417
>>43631743
>>43632791
>>43634261

Great ideas guys, this is the roster so far:

Matrazan - Not-USA: Huge military budget, advanced tech but over-designed, experimental weaponry employed, overconfidence in superior tech and gun ho attitude, huge redwood forests

Populdon - Not-Russia: Large population, strong heavy industry, mass produced mechs, older but reliable tech, focus on ballistic guns, harsh military training but strong friendship within squads bought together by copious drinking, boreal forests

Brinst - Not-Japan/Korea: Limited resources but good trading economy, makes superior copies of Matrazan and Populdon equipment yet claim they invented it anyway, better
engineers so quicker repairs, ejection option has parachute replaced with explosives and can be aimed as an attack

New Edonia - Not-UK: melee specialists, heavily armoured, slow, self-important, archaic military systems and doctrine because 'muh tradition', every mech has tea making facilities, devastating front-on assault tactics

Mosilava - Not-Serbia/Kosovo: Urban warfare specialists, mechs have added wheels to better navigate, explosive ambush and sabotage tactics, received support from Populdon, massive warcrimes all over the place in attempt to remove an ethnic population.

El Prosta - Not-?: Rough and rowdy jungle specialists, scavenged and
mixed designs mostly old Mosilava tech but also their own unique adaptations, incredibly underfunded, focus on flame-throwers and defoliates due to Ecozone proximity

East Ostra - Not-Turkey: Recovering from pre-war civil conflict. Shelled itself with bioweapons that turned its forests to desert. Uses quad designs for mechs, focus on long range artillary strikes with search and destroy tactics afterwards

I've attached a map I made earlier.
Feedback always appreciated
>>
File: IMG_7479.jpg (498KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7479.jpg
498KB, 1600x1200px
I'm working on a WW1 air combat game, called "Dogfight!"

I notice there's already a "DogFight Anon" namefag ITT. Do you write dogfighting games as well?
>>
>>43637481

That would be me. I used that name because I'd put together a quick ruleset for dogfighting for my sci-fi homebrew in the previous thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0lxa1jahxzfrvc/DOGFIGHTING.docx?dl=0

It uses Greg Stolze's One Roll Engine. It's not at all a complete product; rather it's meant to be a component of a larger work.
>>
Picked an old project of mine back up, posting here for review. Alternatively, if something has done this before let me know, I'm not actually familiar with other die pool systems.

This leaves out a lot of the fiddly bits, just wanted to know if this basic rules etc seems sound to you all.

Arcadea

Core Mechanic: Roll a pool of six sided dice against a target number, if there are a given number of success you succeed at that action.

Player stats

HP
>Hit Points

AP
>Ability Points

ATK
>Addition to damage inflicted (0-6)

DEF
>Reduction of damage taken (0-6)

SPD
>Available movement dice per round (4-6)

SIZ
>Target difficulty number to be hit by with attacks (3-5)

Movement Dice - Each movement die can be used to do one of the following each round:

Movement
>Move one space per die allocated. This can be done on your turn before your actions, after your action, or immediately following an enemies action.

Accuracy
>Increase the number of dice rolled to hit with an attack by one. If you have multiple attacks you must allocate amongst them.

Evasion
>Increase the number of hits necessary to effect you by an attack by one. Each die is spent according to each attack made against the player.

Initiative
>Roll your total number of movement dice for each player and the movement of each other target, add the totals and list them from highest to lowest. This is the initiative order.

I have a big list of power keywords and stuff, but that matters little at this point.
>>
>>43637481
Looking forward to its development, do take care to differentiate it enough from the other main WW1 air combat, Wings of War/Glory.

>>43637891
Sounds alright, are the numbers in Atk, Def, Spd and Siz the amount of dice thrown for a test involving it?
>>
>>43638327
Attack and defense are direct modifiers to damage dealt and received. Speed is indeed how many extra movement dice you get to use for movement accuracy and evasion. Size is the number you need to roll on your accuracy dice for it to count as a success.
>>
>>43638739
I phrased that last bit oddly. If it's your size that's what the enemy needs to roll to hit you. The enemies size is what you need to roll to hit them. If there are multiple dice of evasion then it needs to be rolled to that number that many times.
>>
>>43595887

This specific dungeon has been purposefully created as an underground laboratory for foul magical experimentation. It connects a pre-existing catacomb with attached (dutifully desecreated) Mithraeum, a half flooded sea level natural cave system and a part of the forest where the trees coalesced togheter through mutated cancerous meat.

Monsters are normally scarce, existing in the dark, forgotten or magical corners of the earth. They straddle the line between the folklore and the lovecraftian.

Such an oriented campaign is a bit of a novelty for me, I am a pretty sandboxy GM and normally run games and themes according to che players' preferences. Other playstyles could be political conflict and warring states, investigation of said dark corners, exploring the eldritch new world and so on.
>>
File: castle_tybein.jpg (87KB, 481x640px) Image search: [Google]
castle_tybein.jpg
87KB, 481x640px
>>43639071
Forgot image, the real-world castle I'm basing the location on.
>>
>>43635865
That is a good point, maybe I'm stuck on concrete rules a bit more than I should be. And after some poking around the system is pretty lethal, so it does stand to reason that dudes are gonna drop fairly often. When the average endurance score is 6 and the average enemy can do 2d8, that's a near guarantee kill if they hit, which isn't SUPER likely, but not uncommon (TN6 on 2d4, unless they're swarming, which can bump it up)
>>
>>43637355
Awesome!
>>
Bumping for safety
>>
>>43639071
Is tidal change a part of exploring the dungeon?
-

Also a question to the group:
What things make a good RPG in your opinion? What mistakes do homebrewers frequently make?
>>
>>43643125
I think over-developing can be a problem, trying to innovate for the sake of being different, instead of improving.

That and the pet mechanics that the designer can't say 'no' to. You see those ideas that just don't fit, no matter how hard you try, but the designer can't bring themselves to drop.
>>
>>43643125
Parts of it will be accessible or not depending on ebb and flow. The dwelling fishmen don't care either way ofc. There's also the chance of the party becoming trapped in and having to find an alternate exit path.
>>
>>43643584
Any examples you can think of of pet mechanics?
>>
>>43643913
I can't come up with many specific examples, but anytime you see someone unwilling to change a mechanic you've spotted one. I guess one example might be if I (Ace Combat anon) refused to change my Targeting and Evasion rolls even if it's been generally determined by playtesting and feedback that they do not help the homebrew. Everything has to be able to be edited or scrapped to avoid spoiling the brew.
>>
File: Oh yes.jpg (59KB, 260x230px) Image search: [Google]
Oh yes.jpg
59KB, 260x230px
I normally only come here to skim the pdf's but whatever reason I slowed down to read pretty much the whole thread and now I am very much inspired to do this whole homebrew thing for myself, I have some preliminaries thought out already.

(Pic related, its me - getting started)
>>
>>43645171
Excellent. So any initial goals or scale of a project you want to achieve?
>>
>>43645650
It's not going to be anything particularly impressive, ingenious or with much indie flair either conceptually or mechanically If that's what you're asking. Not very long either as I don't even think I am capable of writing 200 pages of anything.

If I were to sum up what It will be about, even if at the (for now) crudest level possible it would be this: Kung-fu schizo swat teams vs the illuminati with an atmosphere exactly the opposite of what it sounds like.
>>
>>43645794
So the atmosphere would be super serious and gritty?
>>
>>43645870
Not quite I guess, more like a mature comic book, so humorous situations might come up and there is room for jokes if that's what people want, but there will be some grit, broken bones etc too.

But deep down, I want it to feel weird, like I've stayed up 72 hours watching techno-thrillers and reading Lovecraft weird. I have a few ideas on how to make it that way but I should probably be putting those ideas to paper to see if they can actually float in the real world, outside of my head.
>>
>>43646496
Ah. /hbg/
>>
I had a really successful playtest tonight!
I'd like to add that I playtested my game as a player rather than a GM. That was a neat experience, watching someone else interpret and adjudicating the rules I wrote while I sat back and said "You're the GM. It's your call. ^^"
>>
>>43646772
How does the even dice pool present a problem? Also, one possible problem I just spotted:
>Player A rolls 6, 6, 4, 2
>Player B rolls 6, 5, 4, 3
>Player A adds all the other numbers on to the first 6, dealing 12 damage
>Player B is now dead?

>>43647684
That sounds really cool, being able to be the player in a thing you made instead of having to govern over everything.
>>
>>43648358
It yielded a lot of great insights. It distances me a bit from my 'pet' mechanics. It lets me see what works and what doesn't from a player's perspective.
Like... I need to do do a massive overhaul on my game's damage and spell-casting mechanics.
>>
>>43646772
I'm not sure how the system even works, let alone what the problem would be. It just sounds really clunky.
>>
>>43648399
I did some play testing with my system as well, with the base system of just attacking I've come across a few problems. Firstly, there are times when it's just a back and forth back and forth of either misses, or hits with no damage. combat isn't really... Spicy? I guess? It's a little flat, which is close to simple like I wanted, but closer to boring. So presently I'm working on finding simple things to spice things up, like Set-Up attacks, pushes, trips, ect. maybe diversifying weapons a bit more.

The other thing is that a Might rank 8 for is throwing 2d8 every time they attack against someone with an average of 6 Endurance, so that person is straight up killed outright on a hit, so I'm thinking of having the average stat be 8 instead, but that only gives 2 steps downwards possible and 2 steps upwards, plus it messes with the whole "TN 8 on average so even a weak character has a chance to hit, but an average character isn't going to hit every time"

I'm thinking of scraping it entirely and trying to figure something else out, but I'm worried that's just a gut reaction. Play tests are scary.
>>
>>43648531
Actually thinking about it I could just make damage rolls 1dX instead.
>>
>>43648531
Since your main inspiration is the Walking Dead, maybe take a look at zombie attack moments for inspiration? I've always thought of zombie attacks as more of a "never fight head to head, especially against high numbers" or sneaking through them kind of thing instead of getting involved in direct combat. Maybe introduce environmental elements? Improvised weapons, that sort of thing.
>>
>>43648887
See, my thought is that just one Zombie is nothin, but swarms are super dangerous. I've tried to replicate this by giving solo zombies rank 4 to hit, but it bumps up if more are attacking.

Maybe I'll have tweak it.
>>
>>43607334
Wow, I like this. I've been creating a system that uses a d100 for combat that only had weapon accuracy and player dr, and I felt like a dodge capability on the players side was needed. And I like it because you the group doesn't have to roll the extra dodge roll every turn, only if the attack roll was higher than the weapon miss chance, but lower than the defenders dodge skill

I brought it up to one of my players and he immediately started finding problems. First, that its too op, but then I realized that it isn't as good as you think, because a player with a dodge of 30% has to roll under a 30 in order to succeed the dodge. So that means at most 30% of attack rolls will trigger the dodge, and only 30% of those will actually be dodged, meaning you only end up dodging 9% of attacks. Then he said it wasn't good enough, and that it didn't need to be in the game.
>>
So I made the card based RPG into a prettier document, tidied up the rules and made it into a pdf. Thoughts?
>>
>>43649193
Do you damage swarms as a group or individually? I would give all the zombies rank 4 to hit, but damage individually. That way even if one is killed, there's still multiple left, and a player would be discouraged from fighting 3-5+ zombies on their own. If there were improvised weapons they could use in the environment, they'd likely use that (exploding barrels, large logs, turrets, etc.).
>>
>>43637616
Interesting rules, Here's what I have so far, I've done a lot of research on the different aircraft types (47 in total) and am pretty happy with the variety available.

I've playtested this quite a bit and its getting fairly balanced. Still plenty to do though. Will probably take a year to fully balance.
>>
>>43649416
I'm also working on a d100 system and using a resolution mechanic whereby your rolls are reduced by the damage you take in a given round. Therefore your best defense, if untrained, is simply to slug the other guy, and if you're outnumbered your defenses rapidly deteriorate since you can't slug everybody.
Of course there's traits involved to allow you to slug everybody or take a more active defense, but then that asshole with the gun shows up and you're well fucked.
Seems like it should be decent for running Peaky Blinders the tabletop game, but I've really gotta get it written a bit better before I spring it on the group.
>>
File: 1444430635542.jpg (448KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
1444430635542.jpg
448KB, 700x990px
>>43631867
Oh man, super cool to hear from you again. I'm excited as hell to hear how it turned out, though I'm sorry about the drama.
>>
File: 1425416781853.jpg (415KB, 1375x900px) Image search: [Google]
1425416781853.jpg
415KB, 1375x900px
Thinking of a simple "sum of results" system;

Let's say the player is attacking a Goblin Pikey with 10hp

Using a d6
>Player rolls for target, rolls 5 and 2
>Player rolls for focus (Similar to WHFB Magic phase powerdice rolling). rolls 4 and 6
>Player rolls for result; Rolls, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6 (for simplicity)
>Players makes most possible sums of 7 with the 10 rolled dice (5+2, 3+4, 6+1, 5+1+1, etc)
>Player adds the total amount of completed sums ([5,2] [5,2] [4,3] [4,3] [6,1] [6,1]) = 6 sums of 7
>Player deals 6 damage to Goblin Pikey

That's the basics of it.
I was also thinking of adding a critical target-die (let's use the 2), so if the player rolls 5 and 2 for results it would result in double sums, so the player would instead deal 8 damage.
Also other die that didn't reach or weren't used in the result could be used to be put towards a failure/consequence roll, or retaliation or parry roll for the enemy. (of the goblin as an example)

Too number-crunchy? Is there a way to improve this?
>>
>>43653123
Correction,

>Player rolls for focus (Similar to WHFB Magic phase powerdice rolling). rolls 6 and 6

Just realised it didn't make much sense following the next point.
>>
>>43653123
Conceptually interesting, but may or may not become a chore if you have to do this multiple times in a row.
>>
Did the knights and knaves guy ever finish his stuff?
I left the site for a while and only recently got back.
>>
File: guidebook.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
guidebook.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Apparently the thread I posted was deleted, this one was so far back that I didn't know it existed.

To cut to the chase, here's a brand new rules-medium system that was created from scratch. It uses streamlined grid-based combat, and I'm looking for feedback on the rules.
>>
>>43654140
I think he finished with the core game and was just spending some time working on some extras.
>>
>>43653123
It's definitely an interesting concept like the other anon said. Also like they said, it could get tiresome to do that multiple times depending on frequency. I'm not sure what kind of system you're wanting to use this for, but there are some outings for streamlining.

You could have the target number always be 7 since it's the most common result in pairings. A stat or pair of stats might govern how many dice you roll, and the specific number of a stat (1-6) might govern what you'd need to get that critical pairing. Then you'd have static numbers controlling the size of the dice pool and probabilities wouldn't change drastically. Pairing dice to make 7 is a pretty straightforward concept and trimming down to focus on that could make things more efficient.
>>
>>43654586
Just play STRIKE! RPG instead.
>>
>>43651266
Oh hey, another dogfighting brew. Ace Combat anon here. I noticed a few similarities between our projects which is nice to see. You've also gotten a lot farther along than I have. Hopefully I can make some progress on it because yours is looking good.
>>
>>43654586
>speed points
ew

i like your formatting and your overall idea but this gives me an "I don't wanna play dnd anymore and I want to introduce tabletop to my dumb friends" vibe, specially because of your choice of words in "overplayed magic high fantasy trope" like there's anything wrong with that when introducing the overly underfleshed crew at sea thing

dunno man the whole thing feels kinda pretentious - what should motivate me to play this instead of any other game? looks more of the same to me, if there was at least a universe hook rather than "it's like dnd but dumb" because pathfinder already does that job, i might even give it a shot

maybe if you fleshed out a world to come packed with it it would be better, the rules are alright but i have no motivation to play this if it's gonna be more of the same

i really don't get your damage dice rolls though
>>
>>43655003
The damage rolls confused me for a bit too. Apparently you just roll one of each die listed and add the total together for damage. For example the Brute's main attack is d4+d6+d10 for a range of 3-20 average 10.5 before DR.

Mechanically there's something there, but the fluff and tone actively drive you away.
>>
>>43655153
Fluff and tone on the AF page or somewhere else? The high fantasy comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but I can see how it'd come off the wrong way
>>
>>43651007
Presently you damage swarms individually, each one requiring a roll of an 8 to kill and not taking damage normally because they can't be wounded or exhausted, but I may have to finnick with that, as it gives weaker people a ~1% chance on 2d4 and a 40%chance on 2d6 for average people.
>>
>>43654586
My concern is that since all the rules are about combat, it shapes the experience. All your cool new powers are combat related, and so you will be encouraged to use combat as a solution instead of anything else.

This isn't nessecarily a bad thing, but it conflicts with your advertising.
>>
I have a question about stats

I currently have a basic attribute called Vigor that rounds up Health and Strength, meaning that the more wounded the player is, the weaker they become; I meant this to make stats things that everyone can make use of so a warrior with high Spirit can still be a warrior and a mage with high Vigor would still make a great mage, things like that, stats are meant to be useful to everyone

But a friend of mine pointed out that separating them would bring in more character diversity

I think if you're gonna go with a melee character you might as well have higher resilience, and if you're gonna go with a tank might as well be able to hit back, but his insecurity about the stats when i presented them has got me thinking a lot, what do you guys think?
>>
File: Dragonrider Fairy.jpg (208KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonrider Fairy.jpg
208KB, 1280x720px
>>43654586
>Apparently the thread I posted was deleted, this one was so far back that I didn't know it existed.
Except >>43654381 it's still there. There is also a lot of feedback in there so you might wanna go back.
>>
>>43658497
Might wanna post the entire current stat spread with explanations. No, not your entire document, just the stats and maybe skills to explain what they do.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-15+at+07.36.15).png (65KB, 633x646px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-15+at+07.36.15).png
65KB, 633x646px
>>43658757
here you go senpai
>>
File: KFSTVTI.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
KFSTVTI.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>43646006
front page done as a teaser, character generation coming along nicely
>>
>>43658707
Thanks for the heads up, I guess the catalog was out of date and I couldn't find it when it dropped off the first couple pages

>>43656386
That makes sense. The PDF only focuses entirely on combat since it's basically an offshoot page intended for experienced players. The main page will covers narrative stuff since that's applicable to the whole audience
>>
File: RULES OF NATURE.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
RULES OF NATURE.gif
2MB, 500x281px
don't you die on me
>>
File: 2014-05-03_be2c.jpg (159KB, 800x768px) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-03_be2c.jpg
159KB, 800x768px
>>43654979
Yeah I really wanted something fairly realistic but quick and deadly to play.

Doing all the aircraft research was fun. I love finding out about various machines of war and the arms race that sees improvements.

Currently waiting for my 1/600 WW1 German and British air cores to arrive
>>
File: fantasydraft1.png (426KB, 4000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
fantasydraft1.png
426KB, 4000x2000px
This the place for worldbuilding? I've been making this map you see
>>
How do you know when to cut a game mechanic?
>>
>>43665522
Are your players bored? Are your players confused? If so, get new players.

What's the mechanic and why are you thinking of cutting it?
>>
>>43665522
when it gets in the way of fun or accuracy.
>>
>>43655618
That's odd, that should really be plenty to discourage direct combat. Definitely looks like a case of "not enough options so I'll just attack".

>>43658497
He does have a point, and Vigor does seem to be the only stat you have that functions as two stats that are more or less independent from each other, the rest of the stats can be seen as a grouping of common RPG stats that are usually related, but for some reason separated. Careful that it's not just a knee-jerk reaction towards unfamiliar systems though.

>>43665522
When it isn't fun for you, the creator, to play. If you're not having fun with it there's no way others will.
>>
>>43665522
Basketball isn't the only place with Triple Doubles

But more on point: When you notice a certain mechanic is the weakest link, put it on the chopping block. If after sincere effort it doesn't improve your brew as a whole, it's time to make like Elsa and Let it Go.
>>
>>43665680
Mechanic: "Relationship Ball"
Intent: Encourage interaction between players and their characters, provide choices in combat.
Rules: There is a token called the Relationship Ball that players may pass from one to another when their characters interact. In combat this is performed as part of any simple or complex action that targets another PC.
Player characters have special abilities that depend on who is currently holding the Relationship Ball.
When you are holding the Relationship Ball, you may raise it to reroll dice in your pool. Once raised, the Relationship Ball can't be raised again until it's passed.

Players didn't use the Relationship Ball until I prompted them to do so.
>>
>>43665842
Yeah, that doesn't look like the strongest of mechanics. Post the special abilities that interact with the Relationship Ball and perhaps there's something we can do to strengthen that.
>>
>>43665984

There aren't many so far to tell the truth, as character classes aren't very well developed.

There is a class that lets you use traits from the PC holding the Relationship Ball in place of your own for casting spells, with advancements that let you mimic or copy that PC's spells.

There is also a paladin class that gives the PC holding the Relationship Ball a bonus to defense, and causes enemies attacking that PC to take damage when they attack them.

There's also a character class that heals everybody whenever the Relationship Ball is raised.

But not much else beyond that so far.
>>
>>43665522
>>43665842
>>43666047
As one of your player's Hi Urs!, I would like to remind you that that was our first game with the mechanic, and that it didn't come up until later because that was the first time it was really needed, or even applicable.
Just reminding you that a mechanic isn't automatically useless if it doesn't get used in only one session.
That said, you reminding us about the Ball was probably the only reason we survived that encounter. But we talked about that post-game.
>>
>>43666047
Alright, there's potential here.

First things first, let's change the name to Spotlight. Holding the Spotlight enables other players to assist in whatever you're trying to accomplish (think of it like a glorified Assist action from dnd). Now, you'll want rules and incentives on both holding, raising, and passing the Spotlight for each class.

Your Mage (channeler?) and Paladin ideas are on target. The Mage can access new spells based on who has the Spotlight and perhaps recharges a spell when they raise. Then just come up with an incentive for the Mage to pass the Spotlight and you're golden. A nearby Paladin might increase a Spotlight holder's defense while a Paladin holding the Spotlight might deal damage to any enemy not attacking himself. Once again, find a good reason why a Paladin might want to pass the Spotlight at some point.

This will make it easy to denote what benefits a character gets by interacting with the Spotlight. Just write it out like so:
Holding:
Raising:
Passing:
and let your players discover the best uses. To might not want them passing for every single turn, so consider limiting passing to once a round. Playtesting will tell you what you need to know.

Honestly, I like the idea. You just need to make it more important to interact with and it'll be solid.
>>
>>43589946
Tried to do a very simple homebrew system recently. tell me what you think

http://pastebin.com/XCmnkVk0
>>
>>43668595
Can you post this in a google doc or make it into a PDF and post it here? the spacing in the pastebin you linked to is really broken and hard to follow.
>>
File: rpg system.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
rpg system.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>43669156
There you go.
>>
I'll make a new thread in a sec but for now let's bring it to bump limit and bring to your attention this thing:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/134UgMoKE9c9RrHL5hqicB5tEfNwbav5kUvzlXFLz1HI/edit?usp=sharing

I made it so we can keep track of who's who when talking about systems that come up often like mine, hard:suit, aegeos etc.

Feel free to add yourself and your project if you're not in the list of people i could remember from the top of my head!
>>
>>43669235
Uh, I forgot about ranged weapons.
>>
File: leave.png (23KB, 260x214px) Image search: [Google]
leave.png
23KB, 260x214px
New thread is up
>>43669454
>>
>>43669483
disregard that, i suck cock

here's the actual thread
>>43669495
>>43669495
>>43669495
>>
>>43669235
Do me a favor and repost this in the new thread, and I'll post my comments.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.