[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad rules.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Page 5.jpg (32KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Page 5.jpg
32KB, 240x320px
ITT: the worst, most embarrassing, least useful, or just weird thing in your game(s) of choice.

Or the best parts, if you're in a good mind.
>>
>>43580754
Cant read it but the bold points dont look bad
>>
>>43580754
FATAL. All of it.
>>
File: osr.png (103KB, 653x916px) Image search: [Google]
osr.png
103KB, 653x916px
>>
>>43582953
Wut, why?
>>
>>43583411
Dm's had the dice to run it?
>>
>>43582855
FATAL is your game of choice?
>>
File: BRING SNACKS.png (143KB, 339x288px) Image search: [Google]
BRING SNACKS.png
143KB, 339x288px
>>43583411

Easier to fudge rolls, maybe?

Anyway, the part in the 5e DMG about bringing snacks really stuck out to me. Shit, guys. I think I can handle the snack avenue. How about you just stick to telling me how to generate appropriate random encounters?
>>
>>43583488
>eating while you play

Can't you fatbeards go four hours without eating something? Eat your dinner, then play until bedtime - why the fuck would you need snacks?

Fucking Americans. It's pathetic.
>>
>>43580754
Dnd 5e.
Fuck the Bards of the Coast.
>Muh Charisma
>Muh Dexterity
>Muh full caster gishes
Whoever 'balances' those books needs to re-read those books and the SW d20 one until their eyes bleed or they realize how shittily they've done.
>>
File: fantasy_age.png (13KB, 660x185px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy_age.png
13KB, 660x185px
>>43583488
I don't even eat snacks. Stop assuming I need snacks, games.
>>
>>43580962
They're not actuak rules. Page 5 is an old tradition for Warmahordes as a tongue-in-cheek way of saying the game is designed to be competative. They've killed the use of it because people were taking it seriously.
>>
>>43580754

I would say the 'Golden Rule' in DnD (and some other systems) that lets DMs ignore the rules and just arbitrarily make things up.

The days when the DM was the king of the table are long gone, along with Gary Gygax and THAC0. Today things are much more egalitarian and the Golden rule is outdated. DMs shoud follow the rules just like the players have to. Honestly I think they should get rid of the DM screen too, or at least do their rolls openly. I can understand that the DM needs to keep their notes hidden and junk, but rolling behind the screen = regular fudging for sure though.
>>
>>43583603
>Beep boop I am a robot
>>
>>43583628

I don't see your point. Are you trying to say that unless a DM can break the rules, he's some kind of automaton? Because if that is then it's at best melodramatic, and at worst outright retarded.
>>
>>43583603
Are you a player or a DM?
>>
>>43583835

Both senpai. :^)
>>
>>43583603
>Honestly I think they should get rid of the DM screen too, or at least do their rolls openly.
>Open rolling

Shit GMs will get mad but this is the only correct way to play.

>B-b-b-but I wanna change da rollz when I want ;___;

THEN WHY DID YOU BOTHER ROLLING

JUST TELL EM WHAT HAPPENED
>>
>>43583411
Maybe it's so that the players don't know how many arbitrary points of damage they've done and have to gauge how effective their attacks are by the DM's description of how the enemy reacts to the blow, how healthy it looks and sounds, etc.

It doesn't seem like a bad rule to me.
>>
>>43583603
Question: are you just complaining about fudging or do you also want DMs to stick to the same charge rules as the PCs and other stuff like that.

I can see not liking fudging, though at the same time I prefer when DMs are willing to fudge retarded dice rolls away (though this requires a competent and reasonable DM to know when and how to do it).

Trying to force DMs to use the same charge rules as PCs is just going to waste his time, though.
>>
>>43583961
I have a screen but it's more just quick reference and I rarely roll behind it.
>>
>>43584018
I occasionally roll behind a screen when I don't want my players to be able to see what I rolled and be able to use that to figure out what's about to happen or their opponent's stats or what have you.

Most of the time it's not worth the hassle, though, since our table is pretty small.
>>
>>43583603
Yes because what I really enjoy in a RPG is when someone swings a sword and then everyone spends 15 minutes searching rulebooks and FAQs and errata to see if some bonus modifier applies to the fucking roll. Oh wait, no, the Golden Rule is there so the DM can make a quick snap judgement and handwave the issue to keep the game from grinding to a halt.

Just because terrible DMs will use it to justify being a twat doesn't make it a bad rule.
>>
>>43583603
>>43584294
I was about to make a paragraph about how the golden rule was imperative to making the game good, but this guy just hit the nail on the head with three sentences. It's about having a person who uses their best judgement to make sure the game runs smoothly and enjoyably.
>>
>>43584012
>Question: are you just complaining about fudging or do you also want DMs to stick to the same charge rules as the PCs and other stuff like that.

Both. The DM shouldn't just handwave stuff when the rules should properly apply.

>>43584294

You're just making up a hypothetical worst case scenario and acting like that is the only thing that matters.

That's what we adults call 'bullshit', kid.
>>
>>43584324
>worst case scenario
You haven't been in many games, have you?
>>
I stopped using a screen when I DM because my dice seem to love critting the players and it started to become unbeliveable how often it happens.

It still happens alot, but now they see it happen and don't whine about it.
>>
>>43584321

No, he just made a strawman argument.

>runs smoothly and enjoyably

No, that's just fudging shit to make things go the way the DM wants.

It also implies that you can't have a good campaign without fiat and fudging. Which is bullshit. But you wouldn't know because you've never tried it.
>>
>>43584338
>my players don't know the rules, therefore every group is just as bad

You haven't been in many groups, have you?
>>
>>43583727
What's the point of having a DM to interpret results at all if all that matters is the number?
>>
>>43584406

DMs create campaigns, plots, hooks and control NPCs.

None of this necessarily requires ignoring the rules and fudging dice rolls.
>>
>>43584324
>hypothetical worst case scenario
Holy shit are you serious? Either you have never played a crunch heavy rules system with human beings before, or you're lying your ass off about this.

>>43584358
You know what, you sound like one of those spergs that complains when an NPC knows some spell that's too high level for him, or that your party couldn't possibly encounter Basilisks at low level, or that the treasure you found didn't have the appropriate amount of gemstones in it relative to the average party level in relation to the encounter.
>>
>>43584358
>Says opposition uses a strawman argument
>Uses a strawman argument against them

First, I'm going to make it clear that fudging dice rolls is bullshit and we all know it, the golden rule does not defend fudging. Second, game rules are not the only thing barring a DM from being a prick. The golden rule is to keep the game from becoming un-fun, or getting bogged down, not for the DM to make everything the way he wants.
>>
>>43583488
>>43583526
>>43583553

Wait, people don't like snacks? Were you beaten as children?
>>
>>43583526
It's actually better to eat smaller meals with snacks between them. Note that doesn't mean "an entire bag of chips and several sodas," though.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.