[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /tg/. A question: What sort of man-portable(ish) weapons could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: 1315983764584.jpg (64KB, 720x514px) Image search: [Google]
1315983764584.jpg
64KB, 720x514px
Hi /tg/. A question: What sort of man-portable(ish) weapons could bring down a 40k raider? 1.5km in length and with a displacement of about 5 megatons or there abouts.

Tanks, las cannons, bombs, etc? And where would they need to strike to get the ship to crash onto a planet?

Pic sort of related - Destroyers are the next class ship up in size from raiders.
>>
File: 1283670761000.jpg (853KB, 842x1190px) Image search: [Google]
1283670761000.jpg
853KB, 842x1190px
>>43577901
>>
>>43577901
From the outside? You're fucked.

From the inside, sabotage is your best bet. Demo charges or melta bombs (hell, even a few well-placed krak grenades in the generatorium or warp engines) ca. absolutely ruin it's shit.

Mechanically, Rogue Trader flat-out says that the damage man-portable weapons do to starships is so negligible as to be nonexistent.
>>
File: davy-crockett.jpg (107KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
davy-crockett.jpg
107KB, 600x480px
>>43577901
>>
>>43577999

Indeed. I'm good with bending the fluff a bit - I just want to start my players off in a crashed ship and need a reason for it to be crashed.

Pilot error is another one, I guess?
>>
A Shadowsword or a Stormblade 'MIGHT' stand a chance. They were designed to bring down titans, and a Raider sized ship is as close to a Titan as you will get. That being said, you'd probably need dozens of Shadowswords and the raider would have to be practically stationary.

There are many reasons a ship might have crashed. Mechanical failure, combat damage, abandonment, warp shenanigans, etc. If you specifically want the ship to have taken damage from a ground-based weapon there might be some anti-ship weapons on the surface but they would be enormous, unmovable emplacements, and the ship would have to have most likely been in the atmosphere for the weapons to be effective.
>>
>>43577901
You're fucking retarded if you think that a 1,5KM ship crashing is somehow going to be a gentle touchdown that everyone walks away from.

If it's been crippled to the point that it can't fight gravity any more, it's crater city, and if it's not, it's not going to crash in the first place.

Re-write the start of your campaign until it's not retarded any more.
>>
>>43578128
>a Raider sized ship is as close to a Titan as you will get.

A raider is a fucking mile long or something, A Ford Pinto is closer in size to a Titan than a Raider ship is.
>>
>>43578165
Wow you're a dick.
>>
>>43577901
gellar field fucker.
basically, it activates when vessel enters the warp and pops the gellar field.
gg easy
>>
>>43578013
Planetary or orbital weapons platform could take it down. Could have been an automated system, machine spirit run amok. Take your pick.
>>
>>43578128

It would be in the atmosphere already, yes.
>>
>>43578241
I absolutely am, I'm not wrong though.
Immersion is everything that pen and paper role-playing has going for it, don't ruin it by having story events that don't work in-universe. You're not writing a scooby-doo episode.
>>
>>43578248
So how does it crash on the planet if it gets destroyed in the warp?
>>
>>43578165
Not op. I think a savior pod landing near the wreck could be a viable start. The game could start with alarms already blaring. That said, could a savior pod survive re-entry?
>>
>>43578281
It's a 1600-yard long pile of armour plating, guns and religious icons.

It's not going to get taken down by accident by some dinky rogue turret.

I really don't understand why OP is clinging to the limitation that it has to crashland for stupid reasons.

If there has to be ONE person responsible and the campaign is about tracking him down, he doesn't have to be the one pulling the trigger, he could have betrayed the ships coordinates to pirate or enemy fleets or any number of things.

If it's just there as a cool backdrop the players might have already been on the ground and survived a mile long ship crashing nearby.

You don't bring down a ship that big with a rocket launcher or a shoe bomb, it's not the fucking death star.
And you don't survive crashing in it, it's not a airliner touching down on water or in a field and spending all it's energy on skidding past some cows or rolling in the waves.

It's a ship the size of a town and if it crashes people are going to be turned to paste.
>>
>>43578424
See, that actually makes sense. Some kind of drop pod or whatever is a perfectly logical starting point and it's a good excuse for having everyone together when things start off.
>>
>>43578450
Crashlanding in a ship will be fatal, to be sure, but if OP is willing to bend things a bit, then it could have been a controlled landing. The ship's engines could've blown up, sure, and the ship caught in a gravity well it couldn't escape, but the auxillary thrusters could have still worked, and while the ship would have landed roughly and with casualties, it might have been much gentler and safer than it would have been otherwise, especially if it landed on a watery surface.
>>
>>43578450
>>43578488

IIRC sang's flagship survived a crash landing. Granted it was much bigger and a primarch's flagship(one would assume it had better everything). A raider might survive albeit with a very very small chance. Also I think Commisar cain had a crash landing as well. Though I cannot recall if it was in a troop transport or a void ship.
>>
>>43578488

I'm thinking more crashed into a mountain during flight rather than crashed after reentry. Engine sabotage sounds good too.
>>
>>43578128
There are plenty of ground-based anti-starship weapons designed to shoot down ships in orbit.
>>
>>43578165

Holy shit, get laid son.
>>
>>43577999
>generatorium
>>
>>43577901
Question: why do you need the ship, and does it actually matter if it is explained how it got there?

Another thing to consider, vortex grenades or bombs suck in matter and leave holes, very handy from a narrative standpoint if you need to get inside the wreckage, or even close to it, because that sucker has a good chance of releasing radiation that irradiates a small continent, especially if the ship went down with firing engines.
>>
File: NCC-1701.png (215KB, 940x419px)
NCC-1701.png
215KB, 940x419px
>>43578013
>I just want to start my players off in a crashed ship and need a reason for it to be crashed.
The closest example I can think of OP would be the Pillar of Autumn crash landing on Halo.

It would need to be at least a partially controlled crash landing. As other anons have pointed out the ship would need to have taken a hell of a lot of damage for it to fall out of orbit and that much would make it difficult to control the landing.

I guess a near miss from a vortex missile might cause enough damage to send it out of control. Say they regain control as its entering the atmosphere and manage to barely make it survivable for the ship. Not necessarily for the crew.

For you players I'd suggest the same as another anon, starting out from a drop pod or escape pod. They could also have been teleported to the surface before the crash.
>>
>>43578424
Of course it would be a version of a civilian droppod. With ration packs and survival gear instead of ammo in the under carriage.
>>
>>43578013
Does it have to be crashed? Because the smaller(40K small) ships can actually enter the atmosphere.

Dark heresy´s feudal world Sepheris Secundus´ capital city is iirc a ship held up by giant chains ankered in a mountain range later built on and expanded.

Alternatively sometimes ships simply crash into planets, and imperial ships are incredibly sturdy, and even after thousands of years they could still function at least partially.
>>
>>43579708
>a civilian droppod
Something like a life boat?
>>
>>43579705
>They could also have been teleported to the surface before the crash.
Teleporters are rare and difficult to handle, are the PCs important enough for the operating magos to releport them, or is one of them capable?
>>
>>43579754
Also unless they teleportated a vast distance from the crash site they are likely to die from the nuclear weapon like impact of what is essentially a meteor strike; so devastation for hundreds of kilometers
>>
>>43579754
Rogue Trader: Time to abandon ship. Techpriest is that teleporter I bought working yet?
Techpriest: It could use a quick test.
Rogue Trader: Right. You five on the pad, we'll be right behind you. Prep the Thunderhawk assigned to carry the rest of my wardrobe, we'll use it if this doesn't work.
>>
>>43577901
I would go with the controlled crash landing; depending on what you want the partys goal to be I would change the reason accordingly. But as the other anon say; it's a fuckhuge starship that isn't really going to be felled by a man portable weapon unless you hand wave and create a xenos wmd eg necron gauss Lance that via quantum fuckery is powered by the crypts generator and not an on board power source allowing it to be the size of a lascannon but fire a beam devastating enough to damage the ship enough to force a landing.
>>
>>43579705
read that as "pillar of autism"

so I imagine a ship randomly floating through the water before a roman column falls from the sky, landing on the boat, labeled in sharpie marker "pillar of autism"
>>
>>Hi /tg/. A question: What sort of man-portable(ish) weapons could bring down a 40k raider? 1.5km in length and with a displacement of about 5 megatons or there abouts.

...what is the raider crash landing on?
>>
>>43579595

Just a starting point. It needs to be ship-ish and crashed. The reason for it would be good, as if the players decide to persue it I have a reason ready for them.
>>
>>43579710

This would be a crashed 'smaller' ship. I'm just using the Raider as a ready example. Depending on what the anons in the thread suggest depends on what I settle for, really.
>>
I'm sure I read somewhere that chainfists were designed to cut through starship hulls.
>>
>>43578013
Also be aware that with the scale of the setting, the hardest part about getting a ship in space is probably finding enough crew. You're going to end up depopulating the starting planet to get enough serfs.
>>
>>43579522
Welcome to 40k.

We've got Dog Latin.
>>
>>43578241
> asks for help on /tg/
> is surprised and offended when somebody's a dick
Reddit may be a bit more your speed, anon.
>>
>>43578013
> crashed ship
Is the planet now uninhabitable? That's typically the in-universe result of several million tons of burning, warp-sputtering wreckage falling out of the sky.

You'd be more likely to find survivors on a depressurized, drifting wreck than on a crashed ship.
>>
File: 2109835622344.jpg (40KB, 480x347px) Image search: [Google]
2109835622344.jpg
40KB, 480x347px
>>43582966
>le reddit buzzword
wew lad, not everything is reddit/pol/tumblr boogeyman out to get you. Sometimes, a guy is just a dick
>>
>>43582586
Yes, but unless you're gonna work at it for a few weeks uninterrupted you won't bring the ship down by slicing through the hull with a chainfist.
>>
>>43583062
He's on your side, idiot.

Talking about bogeymen...
>>
>>43582966

OP here. Not this guy. >>43578241
>>
>>43579708
>>43579734
Life Pod, but yeah, Sci-fi is full of them, 40k would have them be RARER for Grimdark, but moderately important PCs could have stow aboard one.

>>43579926
Well if the cause is sabotage like >>43577999 suggest, it could be any thing anti-armor in a sufficiently sensitive piece of vital equipment.

>>43580090
>It needs to be ship-ish and crashed. The reason for it would be good, as if the players decide to persue it I have a reason ready for them.
How long ago does it need to have crashed?
Rogue Traders are often finding old wrecks and fixing them up for their fleets.
>>
>>43582586
Bulkheads / blastdoors anon not hulls
>>
>>43583280
I thing for sabotage would be the life support.

Forces the ship to land but not crash land cant sit around in space as the don't have the spare parts / time to jury rig / create them before asphyxiation only choice is to land on planet x and hope they can repair it or not as the case maybe
>>
>>43579832
For some reason the first thing that popped into my head reading this was the bit in The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe where they'd tried to steal some musician's stunt ship and had to use the half-installed teleporter to escape before it dove right into a star at the height of the megaguitar solo.
>>
The average Raider has something like 10,000+ crew, maybe 6,000 in a pinch, but if the Life Support goes it's a big fucking problem.

And unless you want to smash your fancy mile-long ship into the ground, you're going to need to dock at a shipyard, not haphazardly pilot it into any random stretch of road.

Remember, this isn't a plane. This is a 1.5KM ship, there's no "Safe landing" if you're not putting into port with something.
>>
>>43583342
>I thing for sabotage would be the life support.
>Forces the ship to land but not crash land cant sit around in space as the don't have the spare parts / time to jury rig / create them before asphyxiation only choice is to land on planet x and hope they can repair it or not as the case maybe
Not necessarily, something like a Main Drive going out could force them to go into a controlled decent, since they don't have enough thrust to fight the planet's gravity well...

>>43583435
>The average Raider has something like 10,000+ crew, maybe 6,000 in a pinch, but if the Life Support goes it's a big fucking problem.
True enough, but...

>And unless you want to smash your fancy mile-long ship into the ground, you're going to need to dock at a shipyard, not haphazardly pilot it into any random stretch of road.
>Remember, this isn't a plane. This is a 1.5KM ship, there's no "Safe landing" if you're not putting into port with something.
...You really shouldn't be an ass about this.
Like plenty of people have already said, it could have been an emergency landing, and 40k isn't exactly the hardest of Science Fiction to begin with.
Hell, half the pics you see of these damn ships has them floating through the skies of some world or another.
>>
>>43578450
Raiders are one of the few ships that actually might manage a crash landing with some success.
>>
>>43577901
Anything armed with the MD device (the little doctor) from Enders game
>>
>>43578007
I doubt that could even bring down the Enterprise.
>>
>>43577901

40k is pretty loose with... Well... Everything. Do what ever the hell you want.

J. Michael Straczynsk said it best when he said his ships travelled at the speed of plot. Do you need your ship to be brought done by a single attacker with a man portable weapon? Then do so. Or maybe sabotage or pilot error? Thise are both good, too. Do the pcs need to be the only survivors? Then this time they are incredibly lucky enough to be.

Because, screw it, it's a story. The point is to tell a good one and have fun doing it.
>>
>>43577901
Every played the game Sins Of A Solar Empire? Pretty sure most of the units in that game can down that considering how much of an easier time the ones on the bit of a bigger side have destroying planets compared to 40k space units.
>>
>>43585378
>J. Michael Straczynsk said it best when he said his ships travelled at the speed of plot. Do you need your ship to be brought done by a single attacker with a man portable weapon? Then do so. Or maybe sabotage or pilot error? Well not with the size of ship OP originally proposed, at least not from an external attacker wielding anything less that a super doomsday weapon.
That said, I wouldn't doubt the 40k universe doesn't have Void and even Warp capable starships far less than a mile in length.
>>
>>43577901

Archeotech from the Dark Age of Technology, built by the MacGuffin Corporation.
>>
>>43577901
A suitcase nuke?
>>
>>43585448
It's mentioned the Inquisition has a few.
>>
>>43585912
Yes, thus it wouldn't be out of the question for the Elite such as Rogue Traders to have such vessels.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.