[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RP on Facebook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: Roleplaying.jpg (15KB, 276x282px) Image search: [Google]
Roleplaying.jpg
15KB, 276x282px
I'm looking to start playing rpg with a group of friends.

The thing is we are limited to playing on Facebook so using any dice is out of question.

Also we are all newbies who haven't played much if at all any RP game before.

Is it possible to play on Facebook? Any advice would be apriciated.
>>
Honest suggestion? Use dice anyway. Otherwise there will be accusations of ''YOU JUST HATE MY CHARACTER'' if you have to kill off someone because they did stupid shit. Beyond that, I would reccomend rather Skype but either way will work, Ive done it myself
>>
Shameless bump ;(
>>
>>43559347
>>43559418
Question, are you really RESTRICTED to facebook? Because dice are a fairly integral part of RPGs to allow for a level of randomness aswell as challenge, if the game has no dice it's just "This lock is strength 4. None of you have strength 4 lockpicking or doorbreaking so you can't break it down." OR it becomes freeform, which can be fun, but it's just roleplaying and has alot of problems.
>>
File: incoherent rage.gif (2MB, 498x284px) Image search: [Google]
incoherent rage.gif
2MB, 498x284px
>>43559347
>Role-Playing on facebook
>Role-Playing on Twitter
>Role-Playing on Amazon book reviews

It takes 12 seconds to google role-play forums, that come with dice, character avatars, profile sheets and so much more. Why do people use anything other than forums? Why are there always stupid mother fuckers trying to ice-skate up hill?
>>
>>43559455
>>43559489

Halft the users are sadly restricted to Facebook only.

For different reasons but mostly because they live in a third ass country and can only use potato phones to play. Wich browsers are the old kind of mobile browsers but they have Facebook app
>>
File: 5DKiia4.png (23KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
5DKiia4.png
23KB, 256x256px
>Tfw not even TG can help
>>
File: wat.jpg (60KB, 604x578px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
60KB, 604x578px
>>43559599
>Halft the users
So? They post their actions and GM uses some non-Facebook site to make rolls for Facebook-only users and then posts results.

What's the problem?
>>
>>43559347
Yeah, it's possible if you trust your GM to make good decisions. Also, there are dice servers that can e-mail dice rolls to the GM if you want to insert some randomness.
>>
>>43559347
You can always just have the GM roll all the dice, though obviously you'd want a pretty rules-light system so that he wouldn't be over burdened. Maybe check out Barbarians of Lemuria, which I just through mentioning in another thread: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ma63kxaz47ttr6/Barbarians+of+Lemuria+-+Mythic+%28v1%29.pdf

Also, you could just freeform it. Maybe use a game as inspiration, structure on how to create characters, and a resource for equipment and monsters, but just wing things. If you're ever not sure or want some element of randomness, just roll a die, see how good (high) or bad (low) it is, and make up shit based on that.

One of the simplest ways to homebrew your own RPG is to just come up with a list of attributes (D&D, for instance, uses Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma) and make everything in the game a check against one of them. Your character wants to do something? Find the attribute that most applies to that and roll against it. This probably works best if everything is an opposed roll, so that... you know what? I posted about this the other day. Let me see if I can find that and save myself some time...
>>
>>43561934
Create a system with 4 to 12 attributes (D&D's attributes are familiar to most folks; you can start there and change things around to suit youself). Everything is an opposed attribute check. It's your attribute vs. another attribute, or your attribute vs. a difficulty level, depending on the circumstances. If you're vying against another person or creature that has an attribute, it's usually going to be one of your attributes vs. one of theirs. If you're doing something like trying to jump across a pit or climb a rope, it's probably going to be your attribute vs. a difficulty level (as pits and ropes don't have attribute scores).

You, as GM, decide which attributes are the most appropriate for the given action. Then, each side rolls a d6 and adds it to their appropriate stat, and whoever gets higher, wins. Ties are generally resolved in favor of the active party / attacker / aggressor / etc. You, as GM, improvise results based on how much higher or lower a character rolls than he needs to (how much higher his roll is than the defender / task's difficulty roll). Obviously, you will roll against players most of the time, unless they are challenging each other.

Either based on their character background, or a small list of specialties / skills / areas of expertise you let player's pick for their characters, characters can be skilled at certain things. If you want this to be a big fucking deal, then you let folks roll two dice and add them to their attribute when doing things related to this area of expertise. If you want to constrain the power of your skills a bit more, maybe they just add +2 to your check.
>>
>>43562136
So, for instance, let's make things really simple and say that instead of skills per se, there are 3 basic classes: a warrior, a knave, and an adept. Warriors are skilled at aggressive, heroic actions like hitting people with swords, kicking down doors, being brave and so forth. Knaves are skilled at sneaky stuff, like stealth, picking locks, and tricking people. Adepts are skilled at intellectual and mystical stuff, like arcane knowledge and translating foreign texts, but most of all, they can cast spells (you can make a small list of these and improvise the effects off of their general concepts, though you probably want them to be fairly limited in scope and power, erring on the side of caution).

Start everybody's stats off in a relatively confined range, maybe 1 to 5, as the best possible roll of the dice will give you a +5 relative to your opponent (you roll a 6, they roll a 1, giving you a 5 point advantage). You may wish a 6 to be an automatic success under most circumstances. Of course, in many circumstances, you may just want to decide checks (and thus reduce the number of rolls you have to make) in favor of a person with a markedly higher stat. Note that difficulties should work the same way as stats, so if a 5 is a really high stat, it's also a really high difficulty level.

You could also decide to resolve things by rock-paper-scissors if you wanted to dispense with the necessity for dice. In that case, a tie is decided in favor of the person with a higher score (do a tie breaker if the both people have the same score). If somebody has a far superior score (maybe 3 higher), they either automatically win, or the person with the lower score must get two consecutive wins in order to succeed.
>>
>>43562157
Of course, maybe you don't like this system, but the idea is that it's pretty easy to create your own rules-light system that's based more on story-telling than nitty-gritty combat statistics. And at that point, you can use any game or story for inspiration as far as your setting goes.
>>
There are diceless roleplaying systems. Amber Diceless comes to mind. There are more I'm sure.
>>
D&D is definitely NOT the way to go with something like this. Honestly just throw out any notions of running a D&D-style game and commit to fewer dice.

Barbarians of Lemuria is a good suggestion.

Any of the Apocalypse World games would actually be pretty easy to run on Facebook, as would something like Fiasco or Hillfolk (or any of the million other pitches they came up with for dramasystem.) One of these three would be the best way to go in my opinion, they're all very story-focused games, which gets them some hate on /tg/ but they've got more structure than freeform but much less than most games. Which is what you want for playing on something dumb like facebook.

For facebook I'd really say Dramasystem is your best bet (Hillfolk). It's a pretty different feel but it'll have the least fight against the rules themselves to run it text only over facebook.

It's basically RPing a TV drama like The Sopranos or something, not really a fighty/adventurey kind of game. Default 1st campaign is Iron Age middle east tribe.

Another idea along that line but sillier would be The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.

If that sort of thing isn't up your alley, you're going to have to figure out a way to get more dice rolling involved, which mean either trusting you to roll the dice, trusting the players to get and roll dice, or not using facebook.
>>
>>43560795
>>43561934
>>43562224
>>43562367

OP here

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll look into it and make my own system I guess.

Any other recommendations will be apriciated.

Again thanks.
>>
>>43564451
So why is inventing your own system the solution, given the number of recommendations in this thread?

And you never really gave much detail on what sort of game you were hoping to run.
>>
File: facebook roleplay.png (295KB, 398x606px) Image search: [Google]
facebook roleplay.png
295KB, 398x606px
>RP on Facebook

I would recommend you don't do that.
>>
Oh please. Google 'j2me irc'. Voila.
>>
>>43564479

Because i have not read the books of the recommendations yet

Also, we haven't decided wich type of game we are going to play. my guess so far is that it will be something either similar to D&D (or something Sci Fi.

I personally want Sci Fi, but knowing the bunch they will rather play something more generic...

ill ask them to make a decision and see what we they chose.
>>
>>43564945
If you're going to make your own system, you should really look at a lot of the diceless and dice-light systems mentioned here and steal mechanics.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.