[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don Quijote RPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

We're studying literature, and we're at that annoying point where we've been told to make something creative inspired by a work we've read. We've spent some time going over the themes of Don Quijote de la Mancha, and I had the idea of making my creative work a short, very simple roleplaying game. The idea is to unwittingly put the person experiencing the "work" (i.e. playing the game) into Don Quijote's mindset of absorption into fantasy, showing people that as easy as it might be to make fun of a sad old Spanish coot riding around pretending to be a knight, all you need to do is coat the fantasies with something like "a roleplaying game" or "an artistic experience" and suddenly it's all socially acceptable.

Now, I'm not going to ask /tg/ to do my homework for me, but I do want your advice on matters of mechanics. I want the system to be very simple, but also very intuitive to people who may have never even heard about the concept of roleplaying games in their lives. This is why I can't use something like Fate or a highly narrative system - while they might sound simple to US, the ideas they present are not really intuitive to a complete landlubber, so to speak. Conversely, more complicated mechanics would be exactly that.

Ideally, the system should be simple enough someone with no experience at all could create a character and go through an "adventure" (preferably one themed around fantastic ideas of knighthood) in about an hour, but robust and flexible enough that it wouldn't lose all its appeal after one play.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43543479
You could base it off Everybody is John.
>>
>>43544253
Isn't that kind of avant garde, though? I'm looking for something really intuitive.
>>
>>43543479
Have the players LARP but pretend not to.
>>
Don Quijote was a chuuni.
>>
The best way for normalfags is the Risus method. They pick skills (with a list of examples plus the option to make their own) and roll six sided dice based on that. Things should be more or less freeform overall.

Mind, this level of simplicity alone isn't a good vehicle for your intended purpose of using the mechanical system to mire them into a quixotic mindset. Some kind of narrativist point system might actually be good here, and "I get points for acting knightly and can spend them to change something about the story" is well within the comprehension of normalfags.
>>
>>43548549
So, Fate Core?
>>
>>43548663
Fate Core has more to it than that.
>>
>>43548694
Accelerated, then. It even gets rid of the skill list.
>>
>>43543479
There aren't many rpgs directed towards a particular message or theme and there's good reason, it's extremely hard as most campaigns/groups/sessions are unique and often improvisational. The themes of an rpg come out during play, and aren't controlled by the system or any one player.

It's possible to design a campaign or oneshot and just throw in lots of fantastical stuff to give the Quixote feel, but that sounds pretty difficult and without much chance of success.

I'm also betting your peers and assessors don't know anything about RPGs and their jargon and tropes, which only makes them understanding anything you attempt to do harder.

It's a cool idea OP, infeasible, imo
>>
>>43548957
Well... they've made Baron Munchausen rpg so Don Quijote should be doable too, in some form.
>>
>>43548758
FAE doesn't get rid of fudge dice, which are the biggest problem, way more than anything to do with skills. The skill list is easy. Significantly easier, in fact, than approaches and stunts, which FAE retains. Plus a lot of things are needlessly roundabout. A good RPG for beginners is gong to take a couple pages at most.
>>
I don't know if this properly suits the format; but when I think about a Don Quixote RPG, I think about the Sanity meters from CoC and similar games.

At critically low levels, everyday objects or locations are only perceivable as elements of fantasy; or former fantastic items that a wizard decided to change. At high levels, the characters aren't able to muster much effort to do anything.

This means that characters may dynamically grow more or less delusional, or some people can fall into a Sancho-ish role. Encounter tables could come in multiples, depending on sanity.
>>
>>43551086
The Don's sanity didn't really change by degrees over the course of things though, it was more of a binary. He's sane, but then he reads too many books, so he's insane, and then at the end he goes sane again, and gets depressed and dies.

And yeah, doesn't really fit the intended use context either.
>>
>>43549294
You can play FAE with a pair of normal dice, deducing the result of one from the other like in Feng Shui. Wonks the probability curve something fierce, but for the most part you still get a result between +5 and -5 with 0 being the most common.
>>
>>43555010
>deducing the result of one from the other like in Feng Shui
You seriously think that's not more complicated than just doing shit the normal way and adding pips against a target number? Have you ever played any game with normalfags?
>>
>>43555010
Though making the players choose Aspects in this case would be kind of missing the point, since they'd know what they're being "pulled into". FAE may serve as a kind of basis, but the "Aspects" need to be built into the system so that players wouldn't realize where they're going. You don't get bonuses for acting like a crazy knight, you get points for Bravery, Compassion, Flamboyance, etc.
>>
It all depends on how you coat it. A narrativist system would immediately raise suspicions since you're all but forcing the players to act a certain way, so of course they would. You need to present it as something like a "simulation" or a "mind game", a "real" tactical challenge or puzzle solver with seemingly real mechanics (maybe base them off a very low-key version of GURPS?). Tell people that the "challenge" is something banal, like seeing whether they can plan and run a raid on a castle to rescue a princess, but then throw along the way many opportunities to act heroically/chivalrously and see whether they take them. It's more of a gamble, true (because it's possible some of them won't), but I think you'd be surprised by how many players have been so indoctrinated by years of exposure to literature (much like a certain Don) they won't even realize what they're doing when they decide to return the money to the beggars instead of stealing it or letting the prisoners in the dungeon go or not killing the sleeping guards.
>>
This thread is why you don't ask /tg/ about RPG theory.

>>43543479
OP, I would add Don't Rest Your Head to the list of possible suggestions, obviously not straight up but as a starting point for a hack. In that game you have "superpowers" fueled by mental sanity, and you could add Madness dice to your roll to increase the chances of success at the cost of possible long-term consequences. It also has very few stats. The base setting is the hardest part to get into, but you are going to scrap that.
>>
>>43543479
while it's SUPER avant-garde, read the GM guide for Normality: www.1km1kt.net/rpg/normality/comment-page-1
It broadly aims to confuse and blur the line between the player and the character, and to lull the players into false sense of superiority and righteousness to completely mindfuck them. It's pretentious, but the underlying ideas are cool for a performance or a project like yours, anon
>>
>>43549143
Make them team up
>>
>>43556625
I don't understand a single thing.
>>
>>43544310
It IS avant-garde, but bear in mind how low-rules it is. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is a drinking game.

Regardless of how actually experienced people are with proper, codified RPGs, the idea of playing pretend is really quite universal, and just about anybody has done it before. You just have to remember that that is the key root of TRPGs that you have to tap into with this project.
>>
>>43556625
>ERROR ESTABLISHING A DATABASE CONNECTION
:C
>>
This honestly sounds pretty cool; however, I don't know how to make an RPG, because I'm just a fucking useless clown
>>
>>43563714
Dammit, Sancho Panza.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.