[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dropzone commander thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: ucm_poster.jpg (184KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
ucm_poster.jpg
184KB, 800x533px
Dropzone commander thread
>>
Gotta post something to drum up interest, Anon.

Shaltari concept stuff has been shown for the space combat game, and there should be a Kickstarter soon to try and get the Dropfleet game from resin to optional plastic kits on release.
>>
>>43507269
You mean this one?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander
>>
>>43506558
So I bought into the Dropfleet Commander kickstarter and since my friends play Dropzone commander, I figured I would look into it too. How do the Scourge play and what's a good way to start collecting them?
>>
>>43508025

This game looks so fucking great. It may even make it to 195k.

Make way for the hype train.
>>
>>43509640
I don't play, but from previous threads afaik they're generally fast, fragile, short-ranged and deadly. They get up close and spray acid/plasma on everything. Potentially fairly numerous too with those little spiderbots, although Dropzone armies generally seem fairly similar sizes to me.

Scourge have a plastic starter, plus they're in the starter box itself which might well be the best way to get going.
>>
>>43510212
>It may even make it to 195k.

But... it is over 300k... and has been all day...
>>
>>43509640

Scourge are technically a bit more fragile, but the thing about hover tanks is that they in practise have very little between them, and a -2 to all attempts to shoot them, so their armour value doesn't mean much. Beyond that, they've got a lot of firepower, and a lot of ability to get places in a hurry.
>>
>>43518139

Sorry I meant to write. That is may make it the last 195k to reach the max rewards.
>>
Does anyone happen to have a pdf of Dropzone commander's rules on hand?
>>
>>43521771
https://warosu.org/tg/image/GmiptqIfqRxy6Synbz91Qg
>>
>>43518423
Aren't they incapable of re-boarding there drop ships?
>>
>>43523100
>https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Clarifications_for_revised_1.1_edition.pdf?1345
>The background text referring to Scourge dropships as 'one way vehicles' only applies to drops from orbit, and has no bearing on the actual battlefield or game rules. Once atmospheric, Scourge dropships can carry, pick up and transfer troops just as any other race can.
>>
>>43522927
Thanks anon. The game looks interesting but I'd like to try the rule set before committing to anything.
>>
>>43523100
That's only for dropships inability to leave planetary orbit. In DZC, that's just a fluff bit.

However, Scourge grav tanks tend to be fast enough that they can either get back on a dropship to move, or they can just hoof it. It's a nice bit of versatility over UCM and PHR, who either have to use long range bands to fight in the vicinity of their drop, or use dropships to be able to effectively contest control points or grab objectives.
>>
File: Scourge oppressor.jpg (187KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Scourge oppressor.jpg
187KB, 960x640px
>>43509640
>How do the Scourge play and what's a good way to start collecting them?
Scourge initially focused on being fast, low on armor, and having high-power weapons with pitiably short range (relative to other factions). With the release of the Reconquest expansion, they were given access to walkers that trade high speed for armor values more in-line with what UCM and PHR are used to.

The plastic or resin starters are your best bet. The starter has everything needed to play a minimum-sized game, and covers all your core options. Resin has slightly more detail, but plastic costs half as much, so go with whatever works best for you.

Common advice is to expand from a starter kit by adding some scouts, a command vehicle, and some light transports for your troops and scout units. Prowlers were usually preferred over minders, due to having a powerful anti-armor attack should they get into range; minders really only effectively fight aircraft, and are slow/pillowfisted.

The desolator is the original command unit, and can fire off either a concentrated death laser (best for attacking buildings, or unsupported enemy armored units), or an area blast that hits everything near it. It has good speed for its size, but keep it hidden from anything with an AA weapon. It is best used by keeping it hidden behind building cover, shooting choice buildings to pave a path for your units, deny enemy cover, or to prevent enemy troops from gathering intel from a building. Late game if there is little AA left, you can be more bold, and throw its weight around a little more with less fear of losing your commander early on and gimping your army.

The other command option is the oppressor, which is a ground walker with higher armor, less speed, and some downright rude close-mid range armaments. It can lead a little more from the front, but I again urge you to keep it safe so that you can benefit from the command bonus it offers, and from command decks (if you use them).
>>
>>43523174
>>43523340
Thanks anons.
>>
>>43523776
The oppressor kinda looks like one of those PHR super heavy scorpion tanks.
>>
File: 01-Scourge-Warrior.jpg (139KB, 664x960px) Image search: [Google]
01-Scourge-Warrior.jpg
139KB, 664x960px
>>43523776
For a general idea of beginning tactics, grav tanks play hit and run style. Drop them off behind cover near a target, then rush them out to get a +2 speed save and unload in their face. Note that their weapons are high power, but low range, and usually single-shot. Relocate if you need to, you are generally faster than the opponent and get your +2 speed save from moving at least 6" of your max 9".

For troops and intel gathering, light dropships tend to be favored over APCs since you can have them scream across the board and start occupying buildings or hold zones much faster. APCs do give you larger unit sizes, though.

One technique that will win earn you no end of grief from your upset opponent is to utilize your fast dropships to place prowlers around choice landing zones. This prevents your enemy from landing due to a hot landing zone. Since scouts are already generally cheap, expand your commander's zone of influence for command and command cards, and can let indirect fire models target enemies out of LoS without penalty, using them to bully dropships out of some landing zones another tool at your disposal.

In larger games, an annihilator may not be a terrible investment. It doesn't always kill a whole lot, but it has a scary gun, very good range, and is fairly beefy if kept behind cover (and as a mortar, it should always be behind cover!). If you place it in a corner, or other good location, and back it up with good scout placement, you can threaten a massive amount of table space. Opponents can either risk eating a powerful shot, avoid its threat area to guarantee safety, or divert resources from the front lines to try and remove it. They are now playing on your terms.

You have the speed and some tools to help you force the opponent to play reactively. Make good use of it, and you'll go far.
>>
>>43524109
In a way. Although the super heavy tanks are twice as long.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.