[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you guys only let your players play as humans, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Jeff Easley - Warrior.jpg (77KB, 369x750px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff Easley - Warrior.jpg
77KB, 369x750px
How many of you guys only let your players play as humans, or have no demi-humans in your settings?
>>
>>43465807
I've considered it.
It seems like it might encourage more character variety and force people to rely on backgrounds rather than races.
I'd especially look into it for a space opera, as an alternative to the green-skinned alien babes.
Humanity might be alone in the galaxy, and that might not be a bad thing.
>>
>>43465807
In my Sci-Fi setting you can only play as humans, though their are other races.

Also what defines "human" is basically just point of origin and perspective. Body modification has gone pretty far.
>>
>>43465893
this

I just feel people only do non humans for stat bonuses.

not saying your elf can't be more than a Legolas rip off, its just those characters are far and few between Schemegolas elf rangers
>>
I've considered it. Currently the only sapient life in my setting are Humans, Hobgoblins, and Lizardfolk. I want to avoid annoying shit like humans having a whole bunch of ethnicity and cultures when the other races get jack fuck, and I want to avoid "Hobgoblin kingdom", "Lizard Folk kingdom" nonsense. I hate 90% of fantasy races anway. I only really like
>Orcs/Hobgoblins
>Lizardmen
>Vanara/Monkeymen
>Tengu/Birdmen
>Shit really most beast races that aren't cat/dog people are fine with me.
>Dwarves are okay, kinda
Everything else can fucking die in a fire.

Also am I the only person who thinks of calling someone a demi-human is retarded unless they were the result of tampering with human genes?
>>43466214
This is fucking retarded. Humans are typically the best race in the game anyway. Good at everything, literally no downsides, usually have flexible bonuses. I fucking cringe when i see people bitch about power gamer playing tieflings.

If you want to see a real munchkin cry, ban fucking humans. They will fucking throw a fit.
>>
Human-only campaigns in low- to mid-level magic worlds, preferrably martial characters so the concept of magic items can remain a mystery for more than 10 seconds.

I haven't play a campaign like this, because getting a player to abandon their concept of playing a super-special elf or lizardman or whatever is impossible. But if I could get players on board, I could probably run the best campaign they've played because I have some of my best stuff saved for that king of campaign.
>>
>>43466489
>If you want to see a real munchkin cry, ban fucking humans. They will fucking throw a fit.
>Not Half-Elves
Step it up, Senpai.
Outside of 5E and some bullshit speshul snowflake races, however, you're just about always right.
>>
I mostly run historical, low-fantasy, near-future or modern-day games, so everyone being human is pretty standard.

Really, I think non-human protagonists only work in fairly camp settings, like kitchen-sink fantasy, space-opera and buffy-style monster hunting.
>>
>>43465807
Race isn't a big deal in my game.
Culture of origin is.
Unless the players prove they can hack it by actually visiting and living in a culture that isn't the euro-generic center, they play characters from I can't believe it's not grimm's fairytales Europe.
>>
>>43465807
I do, but then I have different kinds of humans some of which are racial classes.
>>
>>43465807
>How many of you guys only let your players play as humans, or have no demi-humans in your settings?
I let people play non-humans because I'm not a faggot who flinches in fear of the fantastical in a goddamn fantasy game.
>>
>>43469790
>the fantastical
Yeah, the generic horned red-skinned humans, sharp-eared humans, short stocky humans, scaly humans and winged humans who are all played exactly the same as generic humans 99% of the time sure add to the fantasy.
>>
I worried a lot before making my first nonhuman character that people would think I was a shit for playing an elf but they just seemed to be in the most interesting place culturally in the DMs personal setting.
>>
>>43466214
Humans are usually the strongest possible choice in terms of stat bonuses/racial abilities.
>>
It doesn't even matter in our games, the only place where your race come up is when people use tired old curses, e.g. knife ear, footstool etc.
Which fucking sucks btw.
>>
>>43467564
>Race isn't a big deal in my game.
>Culture of origin is.
I like you.

>Unless the players prove they can hack it by actually visiting and living in a culture that isn't the euro-generic center, they play characters from I can't believe it's not grimm's fairytales Europe.
This is silly, though. You can have an at least rough idea of how to play your ARABIAN NIIIIIGHTS character just by consulting thematic literature.
>>
>>43467564
>>43469926
Man why is it so easy to tell it's American time by the content of posts.
>muh anyone can be part of everything, heritage isn't a factor
>>
>>43469844
Are you retarded?
>>
>>43473616

Shhh, don't respond to it.

He's using that tired old bait that implies that every race need to be 'just humans with X' and not realizing that any of those races can be humans with X AND a very different culture and outlook on life because of it, making them interesting.
>>
>>43465807
I considered it, but eventually decided greatly restricting races down to about 4-5 was a much better option.

Especially compared to the fucking circus which most D&D games turn into these days.
>>
>60% of the party is not human in anima
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.