[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scale in miniatures games/skirmish games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: size matters not.jpg (251KB, 998x730px) Image search: [Google]
size matters not.jpg
251KB, 998x730px
Does the scale of a game affect your likelihood to buy it? We all know that Inquisitor failed because it wasn't compatible with the existing GW lines. When a new game comes out, or you see a kickstarter, let's use Kingdom Death as an example, did anyone not back it because they wouldn't be able to proxy the KD minis into their other games? If someone were to launch a 60mm skirmish game for example would you avoid it because it was incompatible with your existing terrain / games or if the minis look cool and the game sounded fun would you pick it up and have fun?
>>
>>43083339
I want in, but I´m only interested in big scale battles with plenty of space for tactic bullshit.

The closest thing I know is Warhammer, but I arrived too late and nobody plays anymore.

I would gladly get a spiritual successor, but small skirmish games just aren´t my cup of tea.

Following that, I wouldn´t look twice at big miniatures.
>>
>>43083339
I don't care about size, I care about availability and what I can do with it.

For example, I got into Ronin a while back and was on the fence whether to go 28mm or 20mm, since both scale kits existed. But what pushed me to 28mm, even though it'd end up being more expensive, was that I hate rubbery plastic minis, hard plastic or metal samurai stuff in 20mm is very limited, 28mm offers waaay more options to choose from, and I can convert 28mm stuff much more easily with other stuff (made tetsubos from lizardmen clubs and used Zulu War Brits to make Boshin War soldiers). If 20mm has offered a wider range of minis in non-bendy plastic, I might have gone that route.

>We all know that Inquisitor failed because it wasn't compatible with the existing GW lines.

What exactly stopped people from just buying 28mm inquisitor models and using them? We played Inquisitor with 28mm models without any problems or changes to the rules.
>>
>>43084270
>What exactly stopped people from just buying 28mm inquisitor models and using them?

Nothing, but ultimately the game tanked because GW didn't support it as 28mm, no one bought the figures because they didn't work with the existing lines and since figures weren't selling it was axed.
>>
File: Dracolich.jpg (63KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Dracolich.jpg
63KB, 250x250px
>>43083339
>does scale affect likelihood

Yes.

>failed because

GW's non-28mm lines all languished because they were created for systems made to please the devs - and not the customers. Epic was the exception, in that it was popular at first, then languished due to meddlesome GW devs continually "fixing" things that weren't broken (it's sorta what they do).

That said, the strengths of 28mm models lie in easy access and their ability to be repurposed in myriad ways in different TT settings using the same board or two.

>fun[tm]

Miniatures are basically pretty - but interchangeable - wound counters. It's the rules that hold the potential to enhance one's enjoyment of pushing figs round a board so, no. No matter how Incredibly Detailed[tm finecast] a seller claims their weirdscale minis are, if they can't be directly proxied for a 28mm unit, I'm just DLing the rules and adapting them to best scale.
>>
>>43084457
>Miniatures are basically pretty - but interchangeable - wound counters.

Wouldn't go as far, since LOS, base size, etc. are also things to consider.

>No matter how Incredibly Detailed[tm finecast] a seller claims their weirdscale minis are, if they can't be directly proxied for a 28mm unit, I'm just DLing the rules and adapting them to best scale.

Depends if you want to well the whole package of just the minis. Something like Kingdom Death is not just a miniature game with pretty models, it's got cards, tokens, boards, etc. in it as well. It's more like a board game with pretty minis. So they doing what they see as best for them is understandable.

>I'm just DLing the rules and adapting them to best scale.

If you enjoy the rules but don't like the minis, punishing them by pirating the rules seems like a dick move.
>>
>>43083339
>Does the scale of a game affect your likelihood to buy it?
Absolutely.
>We all know that Inquisitor failed because it wasn't compatible with the existing GW lines.
Dunno about that. But it certainly was a contributing factor. I think it was also because you could just buy 1:32 minis that were not as eccentric in terms of scale as the GW sculpts. And mostly cheaper. Scenery is probably a much bigger issue here than the minis themselves. You have to start your entire collection over. Basically the only thing you could use would be the board and hills.
>When a new game comes out, or you see a kickstarter, let's use Kingdom Death as an example, did anyone not back it because they wouldn't be able to proxy the KD minis into their other games? If someone were to launch a 60mm skirmish game for example would you avoid it because it was incompatible with your existing terrain / games or if the minis look cool and the game sounded fun would you pick it up and have fun?
There's a gladiatoral combat game that has 70mm minis or so. You need about three each and since they are resin and high quality they are very pricy. It comes to a small 40k force or a warband for warmachine or more than one crew in malifaux.
If you compare that to scales smaller you can get amazing deals for 15mm minis and the market for scenery is huge. 6mm is also getting ever more popular. Those small scales are cheaper than most other stuff you could get into, faster to paint and need less work for scenery and the like.

Imo 28mm is the sweet spot between details, amount and size of minis needed to do wargame/skirmish sized combat and price.

I have minis for 7 games systems in 28mm and only one system in 54mm. I only bought the 54mm stuff because I though it would be fun to paint them and convert them.
So yeah, it's a huge factor. I've been tempted to get into 15mm but I try to restrain myself.
>>
>GW
>28mm

they're not 28mm

they have 28mm tall humans with 32mm heads and 1/35 scale weapons

why do you think people bitch when someone tries to proxy their napoleonic army in 40k
>>
File: Front_view.jpg (977KB, 2848x1420px) Image search: [Google]
Front_view.jpg
977KB, 2848x1420px
even among historicals, everyone has their own definition of 28mm!

does 28mm mean the top of the head? the level of the eyes? the top of the hat? you'd be surprised just how incompatible all these mini makers are sicne there isnt a scale police
>>
On the topic of scale, why is it that gaming miniatures ae referred to by their actual heights insteadof proportions? Like, why not put it in 1/60th or something and call it a day?
>>
>>43086153
>they're not 28mm
The common term is 25mm for the truescale variant.
Since GW started producing heroic scale and introduced the term 28mm.

>why do you think people bitch when someone tries to proxy their napoleonic army in 40k
Probably because they're cunt. FW minis are true scale as well, you basically have the same issues with FW Death Korps or Elysians as you would have with most Napoleonics.

>>43086253
It's commonly measured to the eyes because helmets, hair and other stuff can make the exact height hard to determine.
>>
>>43087472
>truescale

Nothing GW (or pretty much every other wargames miniatures manufacturers except maybe certain ranges of ships and planes) do is of 'scale', rather its the equivalent of a cartoon with deliberately distorted proportions.

28mm is not a scale, 25mm isn't either. 'Truescale' is typically just as distorted as 28mm, just better disguised.
>>
>>43085834

>LOS based on physical size of miniature

Bitch please.
>>
>>43083339

I prefer rulesets to be scale-agnostic. I have lots of 28mm, and lots of 15mm minis.

Generally, I prefer to play 15mm SciFi, or battletech.
>>
>>43089314
>TLOS is not a thing

Nigga plz.
>>
>>43090699
Oh it's a thing alright.
A shit thing.
>>
>>43090958
>I've only ever played warhams
>>
I like the idea of 15mm (~1:100), but I've literally never seen anyone play games in that scale.
>>
>>43091049
played plenty of things that are not battlepork based, which is why I can definitely say it's shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.