[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bolt Action - Warlord Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8889[1].jpg (459KB, 1191x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8889[1].jpg
459KB, 1191x720px
So /tg/, first time on this board for me so I apologize if Im breaking any rule here.

I just found this game and I want to hear opinions on it.
I like the concept of a warhammer-like game of WWII and for what I see is historicaly acurate too.
I want some feedback and info before I dump a ton of money on it.
>>
My friends like it better than fow for sure. Haven't played it so I can't give informative opinion.
>>
I find the game really enjoyable. One of my favorite aspects is how units are activated by each player after pulling an order die from a bag instead of separate turns. I feel this system helps alleviate the monotony of having little to do during your opponents turn and the randomness can lead to some suspenseful situations.
>>
>>43069359
Their French troops are fantastic looking. Guy at our FLGS uses them as the core of his IG army.
>>
I've never played it but I like the sound of activating units
it was a toss up between this and Flames of War
>>
>>43069359
Right now this is the most popular game in my club, surpassing 40k too.
I never played it, but saw a few match and it seems pretty good.
>>
Solid game, although some people still think assault is overly powerful. I like the scale of it. Most games you'll only see one or two tanks per side, which is about right for going with 28mm(unless you specifically play the Tank War expansion) unlike 40k which tries to cram in too many vehicles for its own sake.

It is a vastly different game to Flames of War. Scale alone is the biggest thing. You can fit 20 tanks on a table when they're only an inch and a half long, and they are geared towards very different things.

I would certainly say check out Bolt Action. The models are quite nice(although my British infantry are a bitch and a half to assemble thanks to lots of parts being separate), and you can get a good amount for fairly cheap. The 1,000 point starter sets are a great place to start, and then you can go from there.
>>
>>43069359
Activaction is interesting, the game is quite nice and easy to grasp and the minature are nice.
The weak points are Tank vs Infantry, Sniper and some minor stuff.
Also be prepared for each discussion to lead to People with no knowledge on Arms to talk about tanks and why this tank is superior. (Don't inform yourself or you'll get angry about what people stubbornly believe to be true)
>>
>>43069359
Regarding rules. How complex is it and how complex is it compared to 40k?
>>
File: commando-amphibious[1].jpg (32KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
commando-amphibious[1].jpg
32KB, 600x348px
>>43069487
I love the looks of tanks and vehicles, very detailed.
>>43069480
>units are activated by each player after pulling an order dice from a bag
I've been reading about this. Great staff.
>>43069549
I was thinking of buying this "Build an army" thing. 100€ buy you a decent army set. Is it any good?
link: http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/british-army/products/great-britain-build-an-army

Also, can I check the army books anywhere before buying? Would be interesting to know more of each unit before chosing.
>>
>>43069621
Check the historic war games thread. They have a huge PDF archive.
>>
>>43069621
I can't really say on the build an army thing; I bought the British starter set before they rolled that out. Still; gets me more than enough stuff(not even done building it all).
>>
>>43069621
>I was thinking of buying this "Build an army" thing. 100€ buy you a decent army set. Is it any good?

You can definitely have a decent 1000pt army with that but you may want to look into the 1000 pt british starter army; if it has the units you want i think it might be a little better buy.

Also if you are playing british look into universal carriers. They can do pretty much anything from being transports to being mobile flamethrower units.
>>
>>43069918
>>43069824
RIP 1000 pt French starter. For some reason, Bolt Action has pulled it from their store, only army bundle options are the 500 pt starter, the $120 Build-A-Bear, and a Dragoon army that's just infantry and trucks.
>>
>>43069977
It's possible they're re-doing it. Or they plan to replace all the 1,000 point armies with the build an army thing. Either that or they're just going to do the BAA for the minor powers.
>>
>>43070061
Doh, pardon me, I'm retarded. The French 1000 pt army just sin't listed with the French army page anymore, and the links to the old one are inexplicably dead. Now they've got a new one that's only found on the Army Deals page, with 100% more niggers.

It kind of stinks because none of the 3 really fit together.

500 pt
>2 infantry sections
>1 light howitzer
>1 anti-tank rifle, 1 sniper, 1 light mortar
>1 command squad, plus medic

1000 pt
>2 infantry sections
>1 beni-oui-oui section
>2 light howitzers
>1 mortar team -and- 1 HMG team
>1 tank
>1 vehicle
>1 command squad, plus medic

BAA
>4 infantry sections
>1 mortar team -or- 1 HMG team
>1 tank
>1 vehicle
>1 command squad

BuildAA
>
>>
>>43069359
I advise you go to historic wargames general,ww2 section and start downloading random rulesets and choosing your favourite.i have heard many bad things about this game and i didn't like the rules.i can also suggest that you check out iabsm chain of command abd disposable heroes,which are my personal favourite
>>
>>43069359

It pretty much functions like 40k lite in mechanics. The armies are pretty balanced and it is pretty fast paced. The pinning mechanic makes things a bit more interesting.

You really only need to drop money on a single starter set and you should have enough to play a full game at 1000 points. It cost me like 150 total and I have been able to play at any common point level pretty much. (500-1500)

Its pretty fun and feels mostly like a WW2 game should. Later plastic models I have are pretty nice.
>>
>>43072005

Also note: I could have gotten by spending like 60-80 bucks. Warlord has deals on their website often.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.