[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

culture building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Euglena_sp.jpg (62KB, 709x530px) Image search: [Google]
Euglena_sp.jpg
62KB, 709x530px
So...

kinda working on a space opera setting and I'm trying to think of the kind of culture one of the alien species, I've worked out a bit of it's biology and it's environment, I'm just racking my brain trying to put these things together to form a coherent society from these factors.

>Biology
On earth all multi-cellular organisms are comprised of either plant or animal cells, well on earth there is a third type of single-celled organisms called Euglena (as seen in pic), a type of Protist, these organisms are neither plant nor animal but have elements of both. have chlorophyll like plants but can move around and absorb food like an animal, this alien species's cells are evolved Euglena, as a result this creature can subsist on both photosynthesis and foodstuffs like meat and plants. though at pre-adult ages relying on photosynthesis for long periods of time is not good as it will stunt their growth.

>environment
the world they live on gets very little light due to their star being either a very dim red dwarf star or possibly even a brown dwarf star. Their world is actually a moon of an ice-giant (like Uranus or Neptune) the giant is a rogue planet that got caught in the star's gravity well. Heat on the moon is derived from the moon's erratic orbit around it's host planet causing the gravitational pull on the moon to fluctuate resulting in friction on the moon's crust. this results in high geologic activity and as such numerous geothermal pools dot the landscape and it's around these pools and geothermal vents that the moon's lifeforms tend to dwell in and around.

So This is what I got to work with, what Kinds of culture(s) do you think would develop among this species?
>>
>>43054821
I'd go with roving bands of hunter-gatherers, possibly scavenging relics from a more advanced civiliation. They'd want to record the locations of things like geothermal pools and anywhere heat, light, and food could be found.
>>
Sounds like a world where complex life would never evolve, much less anything as sapient as a dog.

If you're just going to make up a magical setting, don't waste time shoehorning in realism that just clashes with everything else.
>>
>>43054821
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/sea-slug-steals-photosynthesis-genes-its-algae-meal

So, like these slugs but maybe more intelligent? Or read Sidonia No Kishi that is about space people that use photosynthesis as their main source of energy.
>>
>>43055993

This is the most plausible thing.

But if you're going for implausible societies, why not pattern life off cnidarians? The organisms spend most of their lives Immobile. However, they have a motile stage that allows them to wander around and mate and get shit done every few years. The most successful of their species have long lasting motile phases.....but as any of the species ages, it becomes more and more sedentary. Eventually they never wake up, except to be roused decades or centuries later to provide wisdom or otherwise to fight.
>>
>>43056108
>Sidonia no Kishi
>my nigga

Though they still have to eat, it's just at much lower level of once a week.
>>
>>43056185
Glad to find a SnK fan. Everything about Nihei is awesome, probably because he doesn't give a shit what people feel and he puts so much detail and love into his projects.
>>
>>43056144

I should expand a bit.

Imagine that gamete transfer happens during motile stages, but that immobile stages are when the child buds off. The child spends all its youth as a plant basically, eventually learning to communicate however they communicate, and is otherwise educated. The children are sleepy, quiet things that barely move. After like 20 years of this or so, they go through puberty, and start moving around and do teenager things while picking up as many manual skills as they can acquire before their next restful phase.

How long any individual spends motile or immobile depends on various things, but it is genetic, and depression is considered a horrific affliction, because it can suddenly induce an immobile phase.

Most get a good 10 to 20 years from their first motile phase. Subsequent motile ages are shorter and shorter, but a sleeping member of the race can be roused with shocking news, or certain drugs. The species grows throughout their entire lives, but shrink significantly when budding off a child.

Gardeners, who maintain ancestral groves of LIVING ancestors as well as children are high status individuals. Every generation is taught and indoctrinated by the oldest members of society still talking, or are placed in genius gardens, where ancient immobile celebrities and heroes are housed.
>>
>>43054821
>the world they live on gets very little light due to their star being either a very dim red dwarf star or possibly even a brown dwarf star.
Since they subsist partially on sunlight, they would likely consider bright and sunny places to be very important. If they were advanced enough, they might have special buildings for concentrating a lot of light on a person at once, thought lenses and mirrors or artificial lights, sort of like a tanning booth.

How their cultures handle clothing would be interesting to think about. There's likely to be harsh weather to necessitate protection from the elements, but clothing would block out sunlight, so revealing clothes would make them feel more energetic. I imagine that they wear heavy robes for walking about outdoors, and leave them aside when they enter a building, with skimpier clothes underneath to absorb sunlight through windows.

Their interpretation of human undergarments would be something to see.

>Their world is actually a moon of an ice-giant (like Uranus or Neptune) the giant is a rogue planet that got caught in the star's gravity well.
An erratic orbit means an erratic environment. They would develop complex calendars for measuring hot seasons, when the planet is close to the sun and/or the moon is in front of it, and cold seasons, when the moon is hidden behind the planet. Their seasons woul be rather more complex than Earth's four-season cycle, as they're effected by not only the orbit of the planet but also the orbit of the moon around the planet and the rotation of the moon. The dark seasons would likely be fairly bad for them, with a lack of sunlight stretching thin the already-meager energy they get from their sun.
>>
>>43056425

Nothing that depends on an ecosystem powered by a red dwarf is going to have the energy to think. They will be just plants.
>>
>>43056425
They'd need to have a lot of mobility, though. The planet's heat comes from frequent tectonic activity, which means a frequent need to move away from natural disasters. Nomadic civilizations would be able to thrive in such an environment, while those that couldn't move on would be wiped out by an earthquake or volcano sooner or later. Unless they were in a relatively safe region (which would also be a cold region) or had developed enough to compensate for the disaster.

If they have buildings, they'd probably use concrete for them. It's more convenient to pour it and let it harden than to carve solid stones into the shape you want. And with all the volcanoes, there's plenty of volcanic ash to use for it.
>>
>>43056447
Reminds me of Endless Space Amoeba.

Go for mineral hording music lovers.
>>
>>43056566

Uh, rampant vulcanism is what caused the runaway greenhouse on venus to occur.

Dude, you cannot get around the fact that you have made a death world. Even a colony of humans would have a hard time living there. Complex life evolving there is just a complete non-start.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.