[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to football/soccer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

>How do I choose what team to be a fan of?
>Can you explain all the different leagues?
>I just turned on Manchester United vs Basel. What league is this and what part of the season is it?

Thanks
>>
>>78224537
Support Dortmund
>>
>>78224537
First learn to greentext, newfag.
>>
Fuck off
>>
>>78224575
Are they good?
>>
>>78224681
No.
>>
>thinking about soccer
>>
you ask for /sp/ to roll dubs for what team you'll support
>>
What do the groups mean? Just saw group c and group d
>>
>>78224537
It's a good time to be Real Madrid fan. They are playing well with a more explosive kind of football style, but they aren't extremely powerful for it to be boring.

They just won 2 Champion Leagues in a row for the first time ever in this current format. It's almost impossible for they to win it a third time but is exciting to see if they will or not.
>>
>>78224537
Each EU country has a primary league, the top teams of those countries play with each other in the champions league for the trophy.
>>
>>78225524
So is the Champions League where all the Euro leagues compete against each other? Like usually La Liga nd the Premier League won't play each other, but they do meet in the Champions League?
>>
>>78224537
For me its the fighting irish
>>
>Liverpool/United/City/Arsenal/Spurs

>PSG/Monaco/Nice/Lyon/Marseille

>Bayern/Dortmund/Hoffenheim/Leipzig/Leverkusen

>Juventus/Roma/Inter/Milan/Napoli

>Madrid/Barcelona/Atletico/Sevilla

Roll, if the number before last of your post is from 1-2, choose the top column, 3-4, second column, 4-5, third, 6-7, fourth, 8-9 fifth

If your last digit ends in 1-2, choose the first team, 3-4, second, etc.

If you roll a double zero you've transcended consciousness.
>>
>>78225677
Thanks, didn't see your post before I asked that question above
>>
>>78225726
Roll
>>
>>78225764
Roma it is.
>>
>>78224537
Watch the sevilla/liverpool game tomorrow, guaranteed goals and two good evenly matched teams
>>
>>78225874
Cool, just tuned unto their game
>>78225941
Will do
>>
>>78224537
Your local or kill yourself
>>
>>78226199
How do you have a local team in Euro leagues if you live in Australia?
>>
>>78226236
>implying I'm Australian
In saying that only support a premier league team if you're picking a team to support since all the other leagues are top heavy, weak and irrelevant mostly
>>
>>78224537
That's funny, as I turned it off as you turned it on.
>>
Don't support non-local teams. You can't even be a true fan.
>>
>>78225726
roll
>>
How many teams from each league can make it to the Champions League? What are the requirements. Why didn't Arsenal make it? Are they bad?
>>
File: alliancefootie.png (399KB, 1506x1270px) Image search: [Google]
alliancefootie.png
399KB, 1506x1270px
support the justice league
>>
>>78227324
Yes. Arsenal are very bad.
>>
>>78227324
>Why didn't Arsenal make it? Are they bad?
you have no idea
>>
>>78227324
>Why didn't Arsenal make it? Are they bad?
Just go back to watching the NFL. Football is too complicated for you.
>>
>>78227583
Had to cringe at your pretentiousness. It's just a new sport league I've literally never looked at or it's rules and I'm asking a few questions. Doesn't make it complicated at all.
>>
Support your local teams. For foreign leagues just watch teams that play in the way you enjoy regardless of who it is.
>>
>>78225707
So, there are national leagues where the top 20/18/16 (depending on the county) play each other home and away during the whole season. Victory earns 3 points, ties 1 and losses 0. The top teams go to the Champions League, the continental league, of the next year. The top 1 is the national champion.
In the CL you have 8 groups of 4 teams playing each other home and away with the same amount of points as the regular league. Top 2 advance to the next phase where they play each other Home and Away and the winner of the summed up scores advance rounds into the final with only one game in an neutral ground.
>>
>>78224537
First of all support a PL team because of the Anglosphere.
Secondly PL is the best league in the world followed by La Liga and then Italian league. The rest are shit or one team leagues.
Thirdly it's CL, a competition where all the top teams in European leagues play each other but in reality it's a soulless money factory
>>
>>78227324
Usually its the top 4 teams of the big leagues like England, Spain and Germany. Italy and france 3 teams. and so on i can't be asked to do the rest... England has 5 teams in the competition because man united finished 6th but also won the europa league (2nd tier european tournament - which is unbelievably shit) Arsenal is in this second tier competition, which is why most people laugh at them these days.
>>
>>78227747
Thanks. What determines the teams in each group?
>>
>>78227789
>Secondly PL is the best league in the world followed by La Liga and then Italian league. The rest are shit or one team leagues.
>implying the italian league isnt a one team league
>>
>>78227686
I bet you don't even know what a raumdeuter is.
>>
>>78227747
thanks
>>
File: 1492724392860.png (197KB, 1013x767px)
1492724392860.png
197KB, 1013x767px
>>78225726
>Hoffenheim/Leverkusen
>no >Schalke
>>
>>78224537
Rolling for PAOK
>>
dubs for burnley
>>
>wanting more Amerisharts in this sport

time for all of you who helped him to fuck off back to /reddit/
>>
>>78227832
History in the Last 5 CLs creates 4 pots of 4 tiers. You always have a tier 1, 2, 3, and 4 team on each group, to try to balance it every year.
>>
>>78224537
come to besiktas
>>
>>78227832
They get drawn by some fancy oldtimer, top places in each group get the national champs. And then there is a thing that teams from the same league can't be drawn into the same group, so they won't play against each other during the pre-"playoffs"-phase aka group phase. After that winner of group a gets to play second of group b, second of a vs winner of b and so on.
>>
>>78227943
this t.b.h.

fuck off burger
>>
>>78224537
Go upstairs, look out the window, support whichever team's stadium you can see. If there isn't one then start your own club
Teams play against each other and try to win the league
>I just turned on Manchester United vs Basel. What league is this and what part of the season is it?
This is the Billion Dollar cup, pointless meme stage
>>
>>78224949
this, this, this
Starting now
Celtic
>>
>>78224537
Please stick to handegg.
>>
>>78227997
>Go upstairs, look out the window, support whichever team's stadium you can see. If there isn't one then start your own club
there's a U10 girls team that practices in the field near here, I'm not sure they want fans like me desu
>>
>>78227838
Ok, but I can learn what it is
>>
>>78228060
Just buy Football Manager and pick a team.
>>
>>78227997
>>78224537
Stop sperging. We know history, geography and family matters a lot, but where the sport isnt so deep entrenched, people just wanna have fun watching a new game. We know football doesn't need new fans, but why make it harder for people from a different cultural background?
Having that said, teams often have a massive sociological base, or lack thereof, or even a betrayal of such base for a new money-centric mentality, my american friend. You first have to think of what floats your boat. Is it history and supportters? Is it winning? Is it the game philosophy and how the players play on the pitch? Is it actually one or a few stars? First try to answer that.

Oh! Never turn coat. Ever.
>>
>>78224537

Support your local team.

>bandwagon

Stop licking european dick, watch your league.
>>
please watch our league
>>
>>78224537
if you ever watch the Italian serie b, rout for palermo!!

FORZA PALERMO E RETORNERMO IN A
>>
>>78228126
Not history. Not competitiveness. Not game quality. It is only individual stars that matter in the international scenario.
Which ones do we have?
>>
>>78228126
Why would he want to watch a farm league for Europe?
>>
>>78228266
He wouldn't, which is why i asked politely
>>
I think you should support either the Botswana Meat Comission or The Strongest.
>>
>>78224537
You're a yank so just watch whatever, a lot of people here support their local teams. ie I support Bristol City in the English Championship as I live here.

The leagues are different by country, so you have the Premier league in England, then the leagues below it.
La Liga in Spain, Ligue 1 in France, Serie A in Italy, Bundesliga in Germany, Eredivisie in the Netherlands and so on.

United vs Basel is a champions league game. It's a pan european competition that runs alongside the national leagues. Currently in a group stage.
>>
>>78225451
Champions league groups. 4 teams per group, all play every other team home and away. Top two at the end of it qualify for knockout stages, third goes to the Europa League, 4th is out.
>>
>>78225726
>no chelsea
>no based terriers
>>
>>78224537
>amerifag
>doesnt know how to utilize green texts
>fuck off
>>
>>78228510
the strongest are too strong it's not even fun watching them dismantle their opposition every year
>>
>>78225726
>3-4, second column
>4-5, third
well done, you're fucking retarded
>>
>>78225677
Not EU countries, UEFA countries. Basel is in Switzerland, which isn't in the EU. Turkish, Ukrainian, Russian etc. teams compete too.
>>
>>78227686
Do you understand the offside rule? Key shittest there
>>
File: Swans.png (138KB, 1600x1067px)
Swans.png
138KB, 1600x1067px
Support Swansea. They're underdogs and the only non-bong team in the Premier League.
>>
>>78228595
Neither do you apparently
>>
>>78228713
>thats
>the
>joke
>.
>jpg
>>
Soccer has two tiers of competition: Club and Country.
Club and international teams have been described here, so I'll just describe the relationship between the two.
Ever notice how Germany's national team is full of Bayern players? And how Spain is just Barcelona in different jerseys? And Juventus for Italy and PSG for France etc?
The winner of the domestic league is chosen as representative of the country in the World Cup. It's a huge honor and that's why over a trillion people watch it each year. Okay love you and I hope you enjoy soccer.
>>
File: Cwmystwyth.jpg (51KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Cwmystwyth.jpg
51KB, 615x409px
>>78228694
The welsh are British though?
Just with funny town names.
>>
Manchester United is literally the _perfect_ team for you
>>
>>78228792
>The winner of the domestic league is chosen as representative of the country in the World Cup

is this bait
>>
>>78228694
It's BRITbong. Wales is British.
>>
Dubs will make you a Man Utd customer
>>
>He just threw a fishing pole in there

Here's a you op >>78224537
>>
>>78228266
Match times might coicide better for his time zone
>>
any way you like really. Some examples: I started following olympiacos because of my Greek friends. I started following KV kortrijk because I went to go see them when I went to Belgium. I started following oxford United because I tried applying (unsuccessfully) to oxford university. I started following the hearts of midothian because I was about to go to Edinburgh university until I transferred out last minute. I follow Barça because they were on tv. I also follow Nice because I like Mario Balotelli

It's kinda complicated. All I can say is they work on promotion/relegation and players are bought as opposed to traded like in America. You'll have to ask about each league specifically if you want a more in depth answer.

>I just turned on Manchester United vs. Basel. What league is this and what part of the season is it?
It's the champions league. Competition of all the best teams in Europe fighting for a trophy. Some qualify automatically while some fight for a spot. This is the first game of the champions league season
>>
>>78228965
>customer
rolling
>>
File: 1488942264461.jpg (14KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1488942264461.jpg
14KB, 250x249px
>>78228183

Palermo is my Italy team. They're never on TV though; we don't even get many Serie A games over here.
>>
>>78224537
Just support whatever team that has your favorite uniform, that's it.
>>
>>78224949
arsenal
>>
>>78228965
dabcheck em
>>
Please watch Liga MX
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.