[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why isn't soccer popular in Ireland?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Shamrock_Rovers_FC_logo.svg.png (170KB, 1166x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Shamrock_Rovers_FC_logo.svg.png
170KB, 1166x1024px
why isn't soccer popular in Ireland?
>>
they're the original customers
>>
irish people are too drunk to do anything right
>>
but one of the most traditional teams in football is irish, the cehltics
>>
i think they have their own sports, like you. gaelic football, potato pealing, starving.
>>
>>77531784
>hue education
>>
>>77531792
>italian humor
>>
it is. they just all bandwagon british teams
>>
>>77531815
>implying he wasn't joking
>>
File: 1499613233755.jpg (168KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1499613233755.jpg
168KB, 850x850px
>>77531742
I maintain that football (soccer) is the most popular sport here though. Whenever the Irish football team is involved in a big game, the country comes to a stand still more so than they would for an All-Ireland Gaelic Football/Hurling Final or a 6 nations match in the rugby. If you're talking about why domestic football isn't popular then you have a point. Main problem is, people would rather watch English football because of muh higher quality even though a lot of the fun comes from the fact it's your local team. Quality aside, a reason that people don't like the League of Ireland is that they might not have a local team. I think more counties don't have a team than those that do. I do think the potential support is there though, I remember people coming from different parts of Ireland for Dundalk's CL final round qualifier against Legia last season. Though forcing new teams in places that don't have them already could lead to a contrived feeling like with the MLS where the clubs have little history and are basically franchises.
>>
File: sophisticated adults.jpg (18KB, 252x233px) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated adults.jpg
18KB, 252x233px
The most popular sport on this island is Gaelic Football, and the second most popular is hurling (both are part of the Gaelic Athletics Association). There's a reason the largest GAA stadium has 82k people and the largest soccer stadium, the Aviva, has 35k. The main sport played in the Aviva, by the way, is Rugby. Soccer is the 4th most popular sport because we play better ones instead. We simply do not have the people or resources to care about soccer.

The three most popular teams are the Dublin Gaelic football team, the Leinster rugby team and the Munster rugby team. It is also known that Bohemians FC shits on Shamrock Rovers. Some people bandwagon Celtic, Liverpool and Man United but it's exaggerated. The Brits think everything is about them. The reason the other GAA teams aren't as popular is because it is based on a county basis, the largest one after Dublin only has 300K people and the next largest has 100K.

This is why you must watch our sports. PLEASE watch our sports.
>>
>>77531742
It is popular , I would stay it's the joint most popular sport in terms of viewership and participation along with Gaelic football

The domestic league isn't very popular though , and only really has a strong following in Derry , dundalk , Sligo , cork and a few neighbourhoods in dublin
>>
They do care. They like to pretend they dont as damage control for being shit.

Its the most played grass roots sports, and if you combine Irish league attendances with people watching EPL every week almost definitely the most watched
>>
>>77532158
>There's a reason the largest GAA stadium has 82k people and the largest soccer stadium, the Aviva, has 35k.

The aviva has a 55k capacity , and when the football and rugby team where playing in croke park they sold it out for most matches
>>
>>77533227
>The aviva has a 55k capacity

yeah whatever

The rugby games filled up croke park, I went to one. I don't remember the soccer games selling out.
>>
>>77533524
Plenty of them sold out , I was at one against Germany which was sold out aside from the hill obviously , but i remember plenty that where filled out too
>>
>>77532158

Aviva holds 55k
>>
>>77532158
>is because it is based on a county basis, the largest one after Dublin only has 300K people and the next largest has 100K.

Wrong again, retard.
>>
>>77532158
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/rugby-closes-on-gaa-as-soccer-still-most-popular-sport-302892.html
>>
Soccer is popular but the domestic league isn't well supported. It not only has to compete with the popular English premiership, but also with our own domestic sports of gaelic football and hurling, as well as rugby.

The only way this could change would be an injection of billions into the domestic league, with new stadia and clubs buying high profile players.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.