[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Italian businessman offers MLS $4 billion for business rights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Riccardo_Silva_Profile.jpg (50KB, 1200x749px) Image search: [Google]
Riccardo_Silva_Profile.jpg
50KB, 1200x749px
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/07/24/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx
It's only available via subscription so I'll give you the basics

>Riccardo Silva, founding owner of sports media rights giant MP & Silva and owner of NASL's Miami FC offered MLS $4 billion over 10 years for their media rights provided they start a pro/rel system
>MP & Silva would have both international and domestic tv rights to all MLS games between 2023 and 2032
That's a bad deal to begin with
MLS I'm guessing don't want all of their games on beIN

Still, what does /sp/ think about this?
>>
No one cares about mlels
>>
Can we move this shit sport to Italy if this faggot buy it?
>>
>>77287803
>beIN

First of all, beIN sports is owned by a company in Qatar. That explains why they can throw stupid amounts of money around like that.

Second of all, a deal like that would grow beIN Sports exponentially, which is that they're trying to do anyway (they hired a team to do college football games during the regular season, too, a team that includes Donovan McNabb), but as you said, yeah, it's a bad deal.
>>
>pro/rel
>on a draft league
Americans are fucked up.
>>
>>77287831
No
It's just an example of what could happen
I'm pretty sure Silva is at least involved in having every US away qualifer on beIN
I don't care if that raises their profile, it's not a good network for a league struggling to make an impact in their own market like MLS
MLS wouldn't have any control over this

>>77287836
This is an Italian who thinks he can buy pro/rel for his second division team
His company put out a study which claims it would work
I highly doubt it though
>>
>>77287836
That probably sums it up better than any response I could type to >>77287903

... the American business model is too entrenched to make this work. You have four pro leagues in other sports that have all operated the same way for 50-100 years, there's no way anyone rich enough to run a league would ever accept ditching the draft, AND risk their team getting relegated, when they can just push the current system and be rewarded every year for failure (i.e. getting the #1 pick in the draft).

It's fucked up, but it's where we are.
>>
>>77287926
The MLS landscape is quite different when it comes to drafts
Especially since there's academies
So that's not really relevant

And when it comes to pro/rel, I think there is a path owners would support but it would only come when a second division league is firmly in the American consciousness and MLS isn't really even there
This deal wouldn't change a goddamn thing
>>
>>77287977
Also another thing
I think pro/rel zealots have two big problems with their arguments
One is that they treat pro/rel like it's a human rights issue
There are more important issues than sports and so who gives a fuck what happens in sports
It's not a life or death situation

The second is that soccer isn't big enough in this country to have the impact that they think pro/rel will
They seem to be incapable of evaluating the actual sporting landscape here
>>
I just hope you know this is not actual news.
>>
>>77288018
Considering everyone on /sp/ seems to have an opinion on how to fix MLS without knowing anything about sports in the US this would be interesting to someone
If there's one thing r/soccer has in common with /sp/ it's their hatred for MLS
>>
it's very easy

>add promotion/relegation
>no draft
>invest heavily in academies
>>
MLS needs a higher salary cap so it can compete with Liga MX
>>
File: logical-fallacies.png (1MB, 1283x917px) Image search: [Google]
logical-fallacies.png
1MB, 1283x917px
>>77288007
>there are children starving in Africa
>therefore billionaire sports owner can continue to fuck over players and fans
>>
>>77288086
The only purpose professional sports serve are solely entertainment based
If you feel that the professional league doesn't serve your best interests, then don't watch them
You can't really say that about other problems like education or infrastructure
>>
>>77287816
Nobody compels you to attend games or watch them on TV or check the results. It's as easy as changing channels and watch a sport to your liking.
>>
>>77288132
>it's just entertainment
>therefore anything wrong with it is trivial

That's still a logical fallacy, that's like saying what does it matter if I beat my wife because 2 million people died in Rwanda last week.

It's idiotic.
>>
>>77288147
I'm pretty sure domestic violence does not equate well with the structure of a professional sports league
Try again
>>
>>77288170
No they don't equate, but I sense you're just being obtuse on purpose now.

"So what if I didn't pay my taxes, there are child soldiers in Africa getting killed every day."

In this example, you'd still go to jail for tax evasion. Ya get me?

One can still be passionate about things that aren't THE most important thing in the world. Hence the existence of THIS ENTIRE BOARD.
>>
>>77288204
Taxes and the structure professional sports are two different things

There's a difference in having a deep interest in sports and the life or death stakes that you fucking idiots place on sports
What if the NFL disbanded tomorrow?
Outside of the economic aspect, nothing in society would change
Why are placing importance on something so trivial?
>>
>>77288263
>is told he's arguing a logical fallacy
>continues to argue a logical fallacy

2/10 for making me reply, it's the best I can do.
>>
Why are americans so afraid of actually punishing their teams for being shit?
>>
>>77288803
I didn't say it shouldn't happen because sports don't matter
I said it's not a divine right because sports don't matter
The pro/rel zealots act like it it's a human rights issue when it is very much not
>>
>>77288831

There needs to be an MLS 2 for any of this to happen. The TV money & deals is very important
>>
>>77288007
>so who gives a fuck what happens in sports
Why are you even here?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.