[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do so many American sports teams move all the time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

why do so many American sports teams move all the time?
>>
money

next question
>>
Americans are cruel when it comes to money. They forced the GOAT hockey player to move to LA just to try and drum up NHL hype in the US.
>>
>>76930836
Why do teams change their logos in a shitty one?
>>
>>76932140
those are so beautiful
they brought back the logo recently but the colors are all fucked up. bright orange.
>>
>>76932140
Disney no longer has ownership in the team
>>
>>76930836

Because americans have no notion of tradition, history or culture.
>>
>>76930836
>teams
there is no such thing as "teams" in American leagues.
What you call a "team" is in fact a franchise, a subpart of a brand, which is the league itself.
When you understand this, everything else make sense: the draft, the salary cap, the shared revenues, etc.
>>
>>76938655

this, we don't deserve to be fans of such fucking horrid institutions. That's why as of last march I became and FC Monaco supporter and hopefully mbappe stays with us
>>
>>76938655
Don't you have a Qatar Airlines logo to plaster somewhere.
>>
The NHL is a Canadian league

>>76938449
Check our college athletics for that which are more popular in like half the country
>>
>>76930836
Because franchise owners don't want to pay for their own building and now that we have crossed the line where it is a taxpayer expense they will hold it over our heads constantly
>>
>>76938932
>taxpayer expense
>the communist oblast of america
>>
>>76938911
the best college athletes are mercanaries, fits well with relocation
>>
>>76938987
are they really? I thought that X State University recruited from X State only (or neighbors)
>>
>>76939024

no
>>
>>76930836
The short answer is >>76930930

It used to be that they moved because sales were dwindling in their current city, usually intertwined with poor competitive performance and negative coverage in local media.

The difference now is that teams don't make most of their money from selling tickets and merch anymore, they make it from TV ad revenue. So now they move to try to capture new TV markets for their leagues (see: Los Angels and Las Vegas).
>>
>>76939024
State unis typically recruit most heavily from their own state, but because there are often multiple big sports powers per state they will have to delve into other more populous state's pools. Almost all of a colleges team will be from their geographical state region though, except the occasional superstar from somewhere else.

Switching college teams isn't nearly as common as any professional sport such as your guy's soccer and any US major league

Almost every college team will have very significant and storied histories, especially the Ivy League, very notable state unis such as Michigan and Cal Berkeley, and very sucessful colleges such as Stanford and USC.
>>
>>76939628
Thanks for comprehensive answer senpai
>>
>>76931247
No, that's not what happened. You are confusing the effect and the cause.
>>
>>76938655
False. The Red Wings have much more tradition than FLY EMIRATES.
>>
>>76942826
>founded 1926
literal babby club
>>
>>76930836
Minnesota should have gotten the North Stars name. Would people really be that confused if the Stars and North Stars both existed?
>>
File: VANBUREN1.jpg (182KB, 1024x535px) Image search: [Google]
VANBUREN1.jpg
182KB, 1024x535px
>>76938449
>tfw my great-grandfather attended the championship won by my city's team, a team which still remains there today (just as I do)

long sports traditions -do- exist here
>>
>>76938449
>what are the Packers
>what are the 2/3 of the Original Six NHL teams
>what is most of the old MLB teams
>>
>>76932140
Delete this please :(
>>
File: sonics banner.jpg (19KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
sonics banner.jpg
19KB, 236x314px
>>76944547
My dad attended the first championship for my city's NBA team

;_;
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.