[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Baseball pitching questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: tim-lincecum-vault.jpg (158KB, 990x615px) Image search: [Google]
tim-lincecum-vault.jpg
158KB, 990x615px
I wanna ask you a bunch of questions. And I want to have them answered immediately!

>It seems like they barely ever call balks but it looks like pitchers actually balk quite often by the rule. Is it like traveling in basketball, just never gets called?

>What the hell is a circle change up and how is it different than a real change up?

>What's the difference between a forkball, a split finger fastball, and a sinker? Aren't they all the same pitch?

>What's the difference between a 2 seam fastball and a 4 seam fastball?

>Aren't curveballs, sliders, and "slurves" just the same breaking pitch thrown at different speeds?

>Does a screwball really exist or is it a fake pitch?

This last one intrigues me. Madison Bumgarner, a Top 5 MLB pitcher says the pitch doesn't exist. Buster Posey has been catching all his life and never seen one. He doesn't believe it can be thrown. Tim Hudson said it's basically just a really good change up.

I went back and watched Fernando Valenzuela pitches supposedly throwing a screwball, and it doesn't break like they say it does. I think it's just off speed with a confusing spin that throws off the hitter. Basically a good change up like Hudson said.
>>
>>76857638
I'll answer one. A 2 seam fastball is slightly slower than a 4 seam and it moves towards the pitchers throwing arm. ie a right hander 2 seam moves towards his right
>>
>>76857638
>It seems like they barely ever call balks but it looks like pitchers actually balk quite often by the rule. Is it like traveling in basketball, just never gets called?
You can only cue from the balk after a foul
>What the hell is a circle change up and how is it different than a real change up?
same as a change up but all round
>What's the difference between a forkball, a split finger fastball, and a sinker? Aren't they all the same pitch?
sinkers go down, fork balls split in two where as split finger is the opposite, gets smaller and in between fingers
>What's the difference between a 2 seam fastball and a 4 seam fastball?
latter has double the seams
>Aren't curveballs, sliders, and "slurves" just the same breaking pitch thrown at different speeds?
sliders are along the ground, slurves are curveballs when drunk
>Does a screwball really exist or is it a fake pitch?
fake, all balls have to be round no screw type thread is allowed
>>
>>76857747

How fast is slightly slower? Like if a pitcher throws 95, how fast is their two seamer then?
>>
File: Urias Curve Harper.gif (2MB, 535x329px) Image search: [Google]
Urias Curve Harper.gif
2MB, 535x329px
>>76857638
>>>It seems like they barely ever call balks but it looks like pitchers actually balk quite often by the rule. Is it like traveling in basketball, just never gets called?
it doesnt happen often, most of the times that a balk is called its a legit call a balk.
>>What the hell is a circle change up and how is it different than a real change up?
the grip is almost irrelevant in regards to movement, the movement is determined by arm-speed and finger pressure. Someone's circle change may move like a split-finger and somebody's circlechange may be exactly what is it, a ball that dies. The variation in grips is just to take velocity away, it doesn't determine movement, just general tips to slow it down. Salazar throws a changeup that moves like a splitfinger and Zach Greinke throws a 90mph changeup that fades away from the lefthander similar to a screwball.
>>What's the difference between a forkball, a split finger fastball, and a sinker? Aren't they all the same pitch?
those are all fastball variants, a forkball and split are the same pitch just slightly different split grip, its basically a changeup with harder vertical break. a sinker is just a 2 seam grip that can run, dive, or cut, its really not a break at all its just a movement on the ball.
>>What's the difference between a 2 seam fastball and a 4 seam fastball?
2 seams are typically for movement and 2-4 ticks slower than the highest FB velocity, 4 seamers are the hardest and most straight fastballs. masahiro tanaka has a great 2 seam with movement. it looks like a worm just before it reaches the plate
>>
File: honey.png (711KB, 581x961px) Image search: [Google]
honey.png
711KB, 581x961px
>>76858123
>>Aren't curveballs, sliders, and "slurves" just the same breaking pitch thrown at different speeds?
no such thing as a "same pitch" when it comes to breaking balls. but they all have forward-spin, the break is different and yes the velocity that they come in varies and determines break but it would be a mistake to call it the "same-pitch"
>>Does a screwball really exist or is it a fake pitch?
brett honeywell a prospect for the rays throws one, and its fucking good. its a legit pitch, a gimmick junk pitch most of the time but its effective for this kid honeywell. yu darvish has also thrown a screwball and it looks like a curveball coming out of a LHP except Darvish is a RHP which makes it extremely tricky.
https://youtu.be/OCdSfhYM9Z0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCb4yS2T6EU
>>
>>76858067
it'd be in the 92-94 range (typically)
>>
>>76857819
>>Aren't curveballs, sliders, and "slurves" just the same breaking pitch thrown at different speeds?
>sliders are along the ground, slurves are curveballs when drunk
>>Does a screwball really exist or is it a fake pitch?
>fake, all balls have to be round no screw type thread is allowed
youre fucking stupid, listen to nothing this retard says. `
>>
>>76857638
>Buster Posey has been catching all his life and never seen one.
maybe because buster posey never caught a guy who threw a screwball????? also buster posey started catching in college, he was a SS/INF, the catching thing came when he was an adult, so no, he hasnt been catching all his life.
>>
>>76858158

That looks like a change up.
>>
>>76859433
youre a fucking idiot.
>>
>>76860829

Who the Fuck are you Cocksucker?
>>
>>76857819
10/10 post clarke place
>>
>>76857819
i really, really like this post
>>
Balk is the holding of baseball
Technically could be called pretty much every single pitch, but only ever is if the ump is feeling like a dick/wants the game to be all about him/bet money on the game
>>
easier to call balks on LHP cause it usually happens when throwing to first
>>
Will Jacob deGrom win the Silver Slugger this year?
>>
>>76872239

How does this have Anyfuckingthing to do with the topic of this thread? Does deGrom throw a screwball or Circle Change, or Circle Curve?
>>
>>76857819
worst post ITT
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.