[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

America's Cup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

File: america's cup.jpg (182KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
america's cup.jpg
182KB, 1200x800px
Has anyone here been watching the America's Cup? I really hope the Kiwis win to be honest.
>>
it's bs

like formula 1

it's just overshilled useless motion appartuses that have no real application in everyday life.

Rally is so fucking manly and fun.

Hope these fucks drawn there. And the Formula 1 idiots got gassed.
>>
can it even be called sailing anymore?
>>
>>76663784
>F1 and America's Cup yachts don't have applications to real life
Many of the most advanced technologies start in these sports, then they trickle down to consumer vehicles. You idiot.

Continue watching your hobo "sport" though

>>76663885
Yes I think so. True the boats are very different now from traditional yachts. But they're still sailing. I think these yachts are fucking awesome. Really pushing the paradigm of what's possible in a boat.

Yes old yachts are great too. I think they run races for old-style yachts as part of the America's Cup events though. I think.
>>
Please somebody reply to my thread
>>
File: oracle boat.jpg (213KB, 1000x544px) Image search: [Google]
oracle boat.jpg
213KB, 1000x544px
Pls someone watch this sport
>>
I watch it with my dad. The massive comeback last America's cup was really great, but it's become the ultimate niche sport. Even dedicated weekend racers like my dad can't really relate to the actual sailing they are doing. I guess it doesn't matter since I assume they don't do it for TV revenue, but literally nobosy but the people who built the boats and the hundred or so guys that have ever crewed one can relate to the modern incarnation of the cup. They might as well replace the grinders with motorized winches since they aren't really using human judgment to trim sails anymore. And while they're at that they might as well have GPS steer the boat. Unmanned aquatic wind-powered racing is the obvious next step in rich guy sports.
>>
who the fuck watches this shit it's not the 1980s
>>
>>76663725
>tfw no yacht
>>
>>76667884
Seriously though, I've been interested in sailing. A few questions:

>I have no sailing experience. I'm assuming I need some lessons, anything I should look for in a sailing school? I don't know anyone with a sailboat.

>Is it possible to maintain and sale a small sailboat regularly on a lake at a reasonable price? I hear nothing but awful stuff about motorboats costing a fortune and being a huge pain in the ass. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything bad about canoes outside of the initial expense. Where do sailboats end up on this spectrum? How much am I looking at in spending for a sailboat?
>>
>>76667806
I guess these are fair points. As for me, I have not sailed in ages, but I did sail when I was a kid. Toppers and Lasers mostly. Sometimes my dad's Wayfarer. Also Laser 2000s sometimes. And a Laser Pico at some point.

So yeah, I get your points. Also I had never watched the America's Cup before, nor did I know anything about it, until I saw it on the TV yesterday. Well I had heard of it, and I knew that they sometimes did races around the Isle of Wight or in Portsmouth Harbour (I live very near these places), and I knew that Oracle and Larry Ellison had been involved for ages, but I guess that's all I knew.

But yeah, I just watched these foiling boats yesterday (I guess it was the repeated coverage of the weekend's races) and I just thought it looked insane, and I was watching videos to understand how it worked. True, it's very different from normal sailing, but at the same time, it's very very impressive. Building hydrofoils that can withstand such stresses is crazy. Also I'm into cycling too, so it's quite cool to see the Kiwis' innovation of using pedal bikes instead of the hand-operated grinders. They're just very impressive pieces of engineering and I think it is pretty cool watching them glide over the water, and to see all the hard work they have to do to get these things to sail (or fly).
>>
>>76668059
Learning sailing really depends. This is going to be based on how it is in New Orleans by the way, New England and the Bay Area may be different.You can show up and race on a boat with zero experience in the beer league equivalent of sailing which is like the 45 to 25 foot sail boat range. Most regattas or leagues have websites and meetings where you can just ask if you can try it out, they want new people and will gladly take you out. Most likely they will literally use you as deadweight to make the boat turn faster since you won't really be familiar with how boats work, but it's a good opportunity to watch what the experienced people do. If you just keep showing up they'll ask you to do more stuff. In New Orleans for example you can be performing a pretty vital role in a matter of months if you help crew a fairly casual boat. If you like it and wan to get better you develop sailing skills on the slower less committed crews and then you can try to get to know the more serious crews who are generally looking for people who want to sail often and won't fall over board. The key to all this is bringing one of three things to the races: Ice, beer, or your regional equivalent to a shrimp poboys. Doing that will get you into sailing faster than anything. Joining a yacht club and paying for lessons will cost a ton of money and is fairly boring.
>>
>>76668059
Not sure why you've green texted your questions but okay.

>I have no sailing experience. I'm assuming I need some lessons, anything I should look for in a sailing school? I don't know anyone with a sailboat.
Yes that's probably the best way. I haven't done any sailing as an adult, I did it as a kid when my parents entered me in sailing classes. It was pretty good fun I guess. I think it would have been more fun if I had got more serious and competitive about it. My parents seemed to be reluctant about getting competitive with it though, but that was fucking stupid in my view. Life is competition. But whatever.

So yeah sign up to some lessons or something. I don't know if it's different in the States, but a Topper is a common beginners dinghy over here. Or I guess a Laser 4.7 would be good for starting too. Just contact a sailing club / sailing school and see what courses they offer.

>Is it possible to maintain and sale a small sailboat regularly on a lake at a reasonable price? I hear nothing but awful stuff about motorboats costing a fortune and being a huge pain in the ass. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything bad about canoes outside of the initial expense. Where do sailboats end up on this spectrum? How much am I looking at in spending for a sailboat?
I mentioned a Topper - I just had a look and a decent one looks around £500 give or take ($640 but prices might be different in America). Lasers a bit more. Little dinghies like these ones don't cost much to maintain, as long as you hose them down after every session, which is absolutely vital. Leaving them covered in salt water will not do kind things to them. Yes you said you want to sail in a lake, which presumably would be freshwater, but I think you'd probably still want to hose them down. I dunno though. Boats that have wood, like Wayfarers, require maintenance of the wood, varnishing and whatever, so the wood doesn't rot. And if it does then you'll have to replace it. But yeah.
>>
File: TipDora.gif (3MB, 350x295px) Image search: [Google]
TipDora.gif
3MB, 350x295px
>>76663784
>>
File: heh.png (21KB, 211x250px) Image search: [Google]
heh.png
21KB, 211x250px
>competition with teams just from America: winner called world champion
>competition with teams from all over: winner gets America's Cup
>>
Handsome muscular and intelligent kiwi here.

AMA
>>
>>76668059
>Is it possible to maintain and sale a small sailboat regularly on a lake at a reasonable price?

yes buy a 1 man snark used for like $100 and have fun this summer
>>
>>76668557
Fuck you retard.
>>
>>76667806
>The massive comeback last America's cup was really great
They literally cheated and New Zealand could have taken them to court but fuck that. If you support Oracle then you're being willfully ignorant.
>>
>>76668208
Yeah, it's some of the coolest shit happening anywhere for sure. My dad and all his sailing buddies love it, but it just seems pretty foreign to sailing as its been up until now. Catamarans were banned until like two America's Cups ago and now the hulls don't touch the water and the mainsail doesn't need trimming. They like the innovation and speed, but there's not a lot of use for traditional sailing skills on those boats.

I just see it like drone racing or robot battles, its basically a new sport. It won't affect regular regatta sailing very much either I think, the level of effort to make a boat fly like that is too much to make it down to the yacht club level in my lifetime.

Anyway, the America's cup is a great specatcle. Last time America came back and won , I think, seven races in a row to win the cup. It is probably the biggest comeback I've ever heard of. But watching all the races is pretty much impossible for a normal person since it's probably the sporting event with the single longest run time if you add all the races together. The highlights are great to watch and we generally watch the whole final.
>>
>>76668557
Please post bulge pic.
>>
>>76668557
How common is sailing down there?
Is there like a double digit percentage of the population that sails, or are there just some people that say fuck school and just sail full time like kids do with basketball here or baseball in Cuba?
>>
>>76668718
It's all pretty much upper class. It's quite a bit more common per capita because our entire country is just a big coastline with bays and harbours.

Boating in general is big here, which is why our NZ builds most of the boats including TNZ and Oracle.

Auckland is nicknamed the "City of sails". A lot of our sailing culture is influenced by Sir Peter Blake and Russell Coutts and since the first win in 1995 it has become pretty well ingrained into culture here.

People usually describe New Zealand as a rugby country, but at the moment more people are interested in the Americas cup over the Lions rugby tour right now.
>>
>>76668680
>the mainsail doesn't need trimming

u wot
>>
>>76668772
THE MAINSAIL DOESN'T NEED TRIMMING YOU FONDUE-SLURPING, CHINAMAN FELLATING FAGGOT
>>
>>76668851
You mean the wingsail? It does get "trimmed" though. It's in 2 or 3 pieces that get moved to change angle.
>>
>>76668880
I'm not >>76668680, im just ruining the thread tbeh
>>
>>76668772
I mean I guess it does, but it's basically a giant wing. How similar do you think it would be to working a sail with standard rigging on a boom and mast? They don't seem that close, but to be honest I haven't looked up how they manipulate the wing since last time they had the America's Cup. I mean it's an air foil, maybe they do change the shape like with a normal mainsail, but it seems dissimilar.
>>
File: PB6661-3.jpg (78KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
PB6661-3.jpg
78KB, 550x550px
Just got some new pairs lads. All ready for the weekends races
>>
>>76668924
even a normal sail has foil action as far as I know, these boats just take everything to the extreme

but that's all irrelevant because the sail has to be adjusted according to wind and other factors regardless. a mainsail that doesn't need trimming implies to me it has either a physical or electrical mechanism that keeps it positioned optimally

I mean I'm a very casual beer league sailor and the idea of having an autonomous sail is intriguing. you don't mean to say it's FIXED, right?
>>
>>76668999
Dem trips though cuz
>>
>>76669054
>physical or electrical mechanism that keeps it positioned optimally
Have you watched the races? Most boats including oracle adjust it with a rope. Only New Zealand controls it with a controller through hydraulics which they call the "playstation". It's still manually adjusted without automation.
>>
>>76669139
I haven't, I'm not that into it, just raced yesterday and saw this thread now. My dad used to talk about it but I never watched.

is there a distinct difference between "trimming" and "adjusting the sail" that I'm missing here? cause it doesn't make too much sense to me to say the main doesn't need to be trimmed, but now you say they do adjust it manually after all (?)
>>
>>76669247
When I think of trimming a sail I'm generally trying to adjust the tension on the lines to change the shape of the sail in the wind to alter how it performs. To my limited knowledge you can only change orientation of the panels of the wing to each other and to the hull and can't alter the shape of a panel in the way you can a sail. They still trim the jib in the traditional way, but the wing seems to be operated more like a control surface on an airplane than the mainsails I think of as needing to be trimmed to improve performance.
>>
>>76669458
Also, I basically mean changing the curve in the sail when I say shape.
>>
>>76668529
It's called the America's Cup because the first ship that won it was called the America. Although yes this ship was from America too. But it's named after the ship, not directly named after the country.
>>
>>76669458
I get it. Their mains have a fixed shape and thus don't need to be trimmed, and I thought trimming included changing the orientation of the wing to the hull too.

Even as a novice it's really neat to see how they take principles we use to go faster to such extremes with these boats. are they even designed for downwind?
>>
>>76668557
2 here now
>>
*dabs*
>>
>>76669800
They probably call that trimming. It just doesn't use the skill set sailors traditionally use to control the boat which is more what I was trying to convey.

I would guess they can sail reasonably well at any orientation to the wind, otherwise if the wind patterns changed from the expected norms of the course they would get annihilated by a team that planned for that contingency. You should look up how America orchestrated their comeback last time. It was all about changing the angle they attacked the wind at. They programmed a maximum allowable heading into the wind for their simulations which gave them a non optimal tacking guidelines. They lost every race until they realized the mistake and redid the simulations with no limitations on heading then they ran off like seven consecutive wins to win the cup.
>>
File: swnczu.png (219KB, 622x405px) Image search: [Google]
swnczu.png
219KB, 622x405px
>>76663725
here
but I know nothing about the sport, i'm still wathing it, though
>>
>>76668557
>>76668582
Based Kiwis, I am supporting you completely this year, fuck the scummy cheating yanks
>>
>>76668770
>at the moment more people are interested in the Americas cup over the Lions rugby tour right now.
Makes sense, since you will obviously win the Lions tour (it pains me to say that but I don't think I can say we will win it with a straight face... I will just have to hope for such an occurrence instead), and yet you've got a real chance to win something that you haven't won for quite a while in the sailing.
>>
>>76668770
How well known are your two good shot putters? Other than that hot pole vaulter, they are the the only athletes I can think of who come from New Zealand. Tom Walsh and Jacko Gill.

How big a deal is Rutherford? He's the most important Kiwi I can think of.
>>
>>76668582
I'm pretty sure everyone but one person on the boats was from New Zealand, so I don't think anyone here cared either way from a national pride perspective. We just like underdogs.

Also if you're not cheating you're not trying.
>>
>>76669800
>are they even designed for downwind?
Supposedly they are so damned fast that the relative wind always goes from bow to stern. So no, there is no downwind mode.
>>
>>76669752
Nigga shut the fuck up. Bitch ass
>>
>>76670012
THERE SHALL BE BLOOD HERE.

Not really this is retarded.
>>
>>76670000
damn that's impressive. also check'd

as >>76670122 says though, they're so fast that apparent wind is always nearly ahead. That means they accelerate themselves downwind until they can start generating lift with the sail? fucking nuts shit man
>>
>>76669883
Based
>>
>>76670224
It was really impressive, though you can see there's still some latent butthurt>>76668582

Maybe if they had managed to finish the races in the agreed upon time they wouldn't be so assblasted to this day.
>>
Imagine if USA had to use only americans in their design team and on their boat.

KEK

Team NZ is going to enforce Nationality rules if they win so Oracle will never win again.
>>
>>76670068
Rutherford is on the $100 note here.

Yeah shot putting is pretty big here, along with rowing and rugby. Valerie Adams (Steven Adams sister) is the GOAT woman.

Peter Jackson, Lorde, Michael Campbell, Edmund Hillary are a couple others.
>>
>>76670012
Theres heaps of videos about the boats on youtube. Go to the channels of the challenger teams as well.
>>
>>76669983
What do they call this mode? I don't think it will be very fast
>>
>>76670421
We could probably do it. It would cease to resemble sailing though. Just have computers control as much as possible and power everything with roided out cyclists. I'm sure the guys at Oracle are annoyed there's people involved at all.
>>
>>76670132
>being a butthurt faggot
>>
>>76670475

That's a dab lad.
>>
Just took a massive Oracle Team USA lads. God it smells to high heaven.
>>
this foiling meme NEEDS to die desu
>>
>>76671088

Fuck off Ernesto, you're just envious you didn't think of it back in 2010.
>>
>>76670575
Computers would be against the rules. You can power the boat but that means nothing if you don't have someone who knows how to drive it.

Besides, where will Oracle find enough american programmers? You can't outsource the work to india like they normally would.
>>
>>76668770
>People usually describe New Zealand as a rugby country, but at the moment more people are interested in the Americas cup over the Lions rugby tour right now.

complete bullshit
>>
>>76671088
My insider friend from tauranga (the home of new zealand sailing) tells me foiling monohulls are going to be next.
>>
>>76671286
Maybe you're surrounded by poor people, who frankly, don't have an opinion that matters.
>>
>>76671286
>
>>
>>76671298

trip on shitspouter you cumstain.
>>
Cant wait for the racing this weekend lads
>>
>>76670421
no they fucking won't

that would basically fold all the teams except ETNZ and BAR
>>
>>76668770
Bullshit. Rugby is the blood of the country. I bet you are a seething migrant too.

>>76668718
Nobody sails except for posh pooftas that are too soft to take a take a tackle let alone know how to pass rugby ball. Only reason we have a team is cause tje govt has retarded priorities for spending our tax dollars.
>>
>>76672533
I see no problem with that

>>76672871
Wrong. People are bored of rugby. The Lions tour is just white noise. Nobody is excited.
>>
>>76672871
m8 nobody gives a fuck about rugby right now

>>76672902
>I see no problem with that

well I kind of want to see AC evolve into an actual sport and if you kill off all the teams that's not going to happen
>>
>>76672902
>>76672973
Apply yourselves and the might still be a space for the pair of you on the womans AB team so you can salvage some scrap of dignity left.
>>
>>76673061
>dignity
>has rugby define his identity
>>
File: 7septembre_12[1].jpg (102KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
7septembre_12[1].jpg
102KB, 1000x667px
>>76671088
we need an America's Cup with those
>>
>>76672973
>AC evolve into an actual sport
Sailing is already a sport retard.

The only way other teams will get good is if they give their own countrymen a chance. There is far too many kiwis and aussies in teams.

Team Japan has 1 jap in the boat and hes a former rower who just grinds and does nothing else.
>>
>>76673128
>sailing is already a sport

that's like saying motor racing is already a sport retard, there are a bajillion categories

the way the teams of other nations will grow is if its commercially viable and you have kiwi/aus/brit sailors making your boat semi competitive while cultivating talent in your own country by having 1 or 2 on the boat and increasing it gradually

nobody is going to put together a team that would get absolutely slammed purely because they couldn't hire the right sailors (of which there is already a surplus)
>>
>>76673210
AC means americas cup.

Do you mean you want these particular AC50 cats to become a series?
>>
>>76670718
Fuck you
>>
>>76673268
Yes I know AC stands for America's Cup

I don't really care if they change the boats every once in a while or if they go back to mono-hulls but yes basically I want it to be a more structured and regular series
>>
>>76673322
Uncertainty is what makes the Americas cup great. The defender should rock everybody else shit. It should be hard to win. It should be a mission for a team to challenge.

But I think they should just create something else, what you want, but I don't think they should kill the americas cup for it.
>>
>>76673367
Problem is you get clusterfucks like 2010
>>
>>76673384
Literally just those faggots oracle
>>
>>76671088
>>76673126
They race J-class yachts (1930s design) during the America's Cup events: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3eJJGQOBo4

>>76673319
>being this salty because i pointed out correct information
>>
I've got a poll for you guys

http://www.strawpoll.me/13250760
>>
>>76681532
Thanks, I will
>>
>>76668557
What part of Europe you originally from senpai?
>>
>>76681532
They race super yachts and J-class. That gets my fix for sailing I'm familiar with.

Is there a minimum crew size? I assume the hull length and crew are picked to go as fast as possible, but it would be funny to see someone show up with a next generation Moth and win the cup.
>>
>>76683614
They don't broadcast those races, at least not here.

Pretty sure the rules are pretty strict, don't think a moth would be allowed.
>>
el bumpo
>>
>>76664755
Nice filename mate.
>>
>>76664755
I'd like to see team new zealand recreate the AC72 with what they know now.

Dan Bernasconi is the real MVP of ETNZ
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.