[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why managers don't work set pieces to death like in American

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: setpiece.gif (22KB, 397x369px) Image search: [Google]
setpiece.gif
22KB, 397x369px
Why managers don't work set pieces to death like in American football?
It's the only moment you have 100% uncontested certain possession of the ball in the opponents side.
It seems players waste these opportunities too often in shooting directly at the goal, or trying a cross in the pack
>>
>ywn score a goal directly fromcorner kicc
ITT: Domenech is bored and teaches us tactics
>>
Pulisball is real though. West Brom scored nearly 50% of their goals from set pieces this season
>>
I often think this. It was more common in the 90s. I put it down to arrogant, selfish attacking players who want to have a shot at goal.
>>
>>76274697
Like I wrote, set piece are the only moments you have 100% uncontested certain possession of the ball in the opponents side.
What do then?
1. do what the opponent expect you to do (a shot or a cross), is already losing half the battle, because opponent already knows what you'll do
2. do the unexpected, is already winning half the battle. I don't have YT examples, but I remember each time a team does an unexpected combination on set piece their opponents are set aback and if the shot is on target it's always very dangerous
Today's managers and players are very predictable
>>
>>76274601
I remember the US tried this play against Belgium in the last WC. Nearly scored. Wonder why >we don't try that more often.
>>
>>76274745
Tu veux faire la licence uefa pour etre un entraineur?
>>
>>76274897
why not? I would take advises from /sp/
>>
>>76274978
I remember you
t. anon who wanted to play football in closed circle xd
Je croise les doigts!
>>
>>76275019
hey it's you :)
>>
File: Bez tytułu.png (8KB, 322x405px) Image search: [Google]
Bez tytułu.png
8KB, 322x405px
>>76275073
update:
ball will always be in motion, passes inside the circle xD
(just kidding)
>>
You can have them but I guess the mentality is still focused on direct shots being more effective than a whole tactic.
At least for serie a I have seen a couple of side passing into vertical passing to a free player, dunno how frequent it might be in other competitions.

Still love the Pirlo-Inzaghi tactic where Pirlo just shot straight at Pippo to deviate the ball's course. Great stuff
>>
File: spectacular-spiderman4.jpg (37KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
spectacular-spiderman4.jpg
37KB, 500x330px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycz8Mb7JQ2Q

obligatory
>>
>>76274601
I literally hate when people bring this up how many variables are involved in the ball moving between 3 or more players. 1/2 perfect touch and pass 3 fucks it, no where near 4. As I said the variables, to reach the goal then the keeper. Far more likely to score directly, or a tap in from a rebound than this shit.
>>
>>76275094
Well that's an idea. As I already wrote before football rules are simple (but not simplistic) and allow for a wide variety of tactics and strategies, like Pep who had an epiphany about "you can't take a goal if the opponent never has the ball" strategy which ended up with 80+% possession
Set pieces have this room to improve instead of DUHHH I SHOOT WITH ALL MY FORCES AT THE GOAL XDDD
>>76275173
This is already an improvement over all the straight shooting, which will never work against a good GK unless he's screened
During the last Euro, Wales team did something pretty succesfull, because unexpected, they did the "little train" on corners, effectively rendering players unmarkable on set pieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEny7yoXjOo
>>
>>76274601
I've said this for awhile. Not really a huge soccer fan but enough to know what's going on. Some teams don't even score 10% of their goals from sets and it always baffled me how poorly executed they are by some teams.

I think this is just one of those things where the culture for whatever reason doesn't put enough focus on it and it takes an outside influence to change it.
>>
>>76275250
So by your logic train on the set piece ok, so what about when your hit with 3 different opponents in a 7 day period which happens through out the season let's not think tactically about how to beat the oppentent in training with our style of play against their let's no stop swing balls into the box for a life hoping that it will work perfectly in every game no matter the oppentent you a moron son. An then the variables in play again on top of that. Kill your self
>>
>>76274601
meme shit. It's like asking why let Ronaldo take every fk at Madrid when he's useless. Football is a romantic sport and filled with improvisation. All this moneyball bs and special plays are for who teams that want their 15mins of fame.
>>
>>76275422
Don't understand your logic. Proportionally speaking you're a lot more likely to score from sets than open play. Why wouldn't you focus equally disproportionately on them in practice?
>>
>>76274745
Do you seriously think you're the only one who thought about this? I've seen those little tricks sometimes, they may work once but obviously don't pay off in the long run
>>
>>76275635
>moneyball bs
Yeah they said almost word for word what you're saying about baseball and now every team follows it unless the want the guaranteed worst record in the league. Same will happen with soccer the numbers say you should slave away on sets practicing them. Meme teams only do it now because the elite are still better athletically to overcome it.
>>
Is a goal-kick a set-piece? Pretty sure Pep would work a lot on them, plus corners and free-kicks.
>>
>>76275339
>>76275804
>the irony when it's Americans who understand how set pieces should work
I say it again. A free kick/corner kick is the only moment in a football match where the ball is absolutely yours, and the state of the game is entirely controlable by your team. ffs You even have a no-go zone for opposing players
How modern managers don't take more advantages from this baffled me, until I got here on /sp/ all the Euros answers: they think football is uncontrolable like an art piece. It isn't, and when it comes to set pieces the state of the game is entirely under your control.
>>
>>76275422
Fucking hell lad, are you Scottish? Get the fuck out of here with that diabolical grammar.
>>
>>76274601
they really should. the US nearly snuck a few garbage goals in the last WC with more elaborate set-pieces.

This should be especially relevant to sub-par teams
>>
>>76275422
you're basing your argument on numbers that you don't have and don't know. This stuff works in other sports, so the "variables" argument isn't sufficient (not to say its incorrect, but its not the brilliant trump card you are portraying).
>>
Because you'd have to spend time on it. It would only work if you were set up solely to score from them like Greece in 2004 Euro
>>
Icelandlongthrowsetpiece.webm
>>
>>76274601
Because the moment you do it once, sucessfully or not, it's easily predictable and thus easily shut down.

Elaborate set pieces are only once-in-a-blue-moon strategies, you'll be just throwing your free chances into the trash if you try to execute them every time. You have a very childish perception on the tactical depth of the game on both sides.
>>
>>76278125
While I agree, take into account that there are definitively a certain number of times you'll get a good set piece in a match (let's say between 10 and 15?), and you can specifically train your forwards to search for the foul (like use only midget attackers who enter infinite dribbling and get fouled easily)
So the time spent on working set pieces tactics would be more and more beneficial
>>
>>76277876
>when it comes to set pieces the state of the game is entirely under your control.
For the first kick of the ball, which is why that kick is usually a cross or a shot. Also why the majority of NFL plays don't include multiple passes. Daft cunt, this had better be bait.
>>
>>76278296
Your approach is too conservative and empirical. think outside of the box
>>
>>76278296
Losing possession in American football is much more serious than divegrass, that plus the only competent reliable thrower of the football being the QB means meme plays with a ton of laterals are just asking for bad shit to happen
>>
Football is way too dynamic, set pieces work well when the pieces are predictable and there are obvious patterns of play but in football it's a constant sea of change with people moving constantly. Not saying that they can't work but that they are unreliable to every day play
>>
Because in a corner kick the most dangerous way to play it is always a good cross in the good zone.

For free kicks close enough, if you have a good shooter a direct shoot is almost always the best option.

Only time it could be more useful is in free kicks that are far or on the side, but even then it's quite hard to master a complicate set piece against a good man to man defence (you have to remember that the defenders also have to time to postion themselves in the best place to intercept or mark their man, and they have the advantage of facing the game)
>>
>>76278344
Your approach is too fantasy derived and immature. Keep your assumptions grounded in reality.
>>
>>76278371
Principle is the same. Most teams will have the bulk of their team forward for a set piece, go for some meme frog nonsense and your asking for an interception and your opponent sprinting to the end zone.
>>
>>76278450
I'll take no lessons on football from a Canadian. That's said.
>>
>>76278512
Come back to me when your national team is actually French
>>
>>76278617
wow wow you really hurted my feelings with your ad hominem targeted at our best players, who happen for some of them to be black men! do you feel better?
>>
Meme set pieces?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkS9aA3uF0I
>>
BABBY'S FIRST THOUGHTS ABOUT FOOTBALL TACTICS
>>
>>76278672
>the kid who's retort was "huur u caneidean!!" is whining about ad homs

Almost as retarded as your ignorance on set pieces.
>>
>>76278698
Based.
>>
File: 1493158780247.jpg (273KB, 496x521px) Image search: [Google]
1493158780247.jpg
273KB, 496x521px
>>76278776
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.