[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learn hockey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3055.jpg (90KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3055.jpg
90KB, 700x420px
Hi I'm a 20 year old guy who loves ice hockey and lives in Southern California. I played football my whole life and even in college at the d1 level. I was a middle linebacker and love hitting and contact. I played ice and roller when I was very young (6years old) are there any rinks or leagues I can join that at least have semi contact? And what position should I play? I am a decent skater but my puck skills arnt the best. Also if I'm gonna do this I need to buy all the equipment which is very expensive! Any suggestions? I am extremely passionate about learning the sport and succeeding but I don't know where to start the idea of just showing up to a rink and learning with a bunch of strangers is very daunting.
I'm 6'1 230 muscular build
>>
>>76217426
If you haven't been playing hockey consistently since a young age, you shouldn't play in any checking league.

It's also not likely afaik there'll be a contact league for adults in a place like Southern California. Most places I've heard of having recreational check leagues are places like Canada where there's a high concentration of players who've played in juniors and up, but I'd imagine it becomes a liability nightmare.

Get good and you might be good enough to play in a league that's fairly chippy, but don't expect to ever be making big open ice checks. People have to go to work in the morning.
>>
You'll be embarrassed by 13 year Olds who've been playing since they were 6
>>
What would you recommend as a way to gen started as far as gear and training and joining a team for begginers
>>
You're probably good enough to play for the redditmonton pantsoilers
>>
Just google rec leagues in your area and go from there. Try to find as much affordable used equipment you can on craigslist or ebay.

It's not really a big deal you haven't played much as long as you can skate. My friend moved to a new city a couple years ago and joined a rec league, and he's 10 years older than you are.
>>
Sorry I have no advice for you you just have to go join an adult league. It blows my fucking mind that people are giving you shit for asking such an honest question. Why can't he learn and enjoy the sport we all love?
>>
>>76217572
Because everyone on 4chan in general just love to shit on someones hopes
>>
Okay well what position would you recommend for someone with my background strength and weight?
>>
>>76217426
Not to beat a dead horse but even if youre a gifted athlete it's about the last sport to just pick up and be respectable at so make sure your ass knows how to functionality skate in a game environment.

I played baseball, football, and basketball in HS and baseball in college, nothing exceptional but certainly above average athletically. I tried playing my junior year of high school and was ass awful bad despite committing to it a lot for about a year.
>>
I know my adult league has clinics where you go over a bunch of basics and learn from the ground up, then you're """ready""" to play in the league. Honestly I got people on my team who can't last 10 second shifts before they're gassed, it's just fun stuff, I wouldn't be too worried about learning with other people.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.