[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who would the USA have to beat to be taken seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6

File: usmnt-vs-azerbaijan.jpg (91KB, 606x403px) Image search: [Google]
usmnt-vs-azerbaijan.jpg
91KB, 606x403px
Who would the USA have to beat to be taken seriously?
>>
>>76216069
Us.
>>
>>76216081
That's deep.
>>
Everyone. I want to see it, too, but It's not gonna happen.
>>
>>76216069
nobody specifically, they won't be taken seriously until they get out of the group stage in a WC
>>
Poland
In Chicago or Warsaw
(1st team with Lewandowski and Milik)
>>
>>76216104
Ok, but they've done that 3 out of the last 4 world cups, though they always go 1-1-1 and get beat in the first round except 2002
>>
>>76216069

Stoke on a cold Tuesday night at the Britannia
>>
>>76216069
you're taken seriously already
if you mean "be considered one of the very best teams in the world" then dream on, nobody would be fooled by one good result
>>
File: jpg.jpg (235KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
235KB, 800x560px
>>
>>76216192
you're asking the impossible
>>
>>76216211
Eh, if you beat Germany or Argentina you're immediately considered elite.
>chile
>>
realistically they won't be truly taken seriously until they win something big. The rest of the world thinks of the US as a joke and one or two big wins won't change that, they need a title
>>
>>76216217
How's Theresa May's cunt taste, bruv?
>>
File: 1495235807503.jpg (98KB, 669x476px) Image search: [Google]
1495235807503.jpg
98KB, 669x476px
>>76216260
Wow rude.

How does Blonal Grumpst (aka. Orange Hitler) racist jackboot taste?
>>
>>76216250
but I dont understand this. The rest of the world take mexico seriously and they have accomplish about the same as the usa. I think politics matters too
>>
>>76216217
Why so salty?
>the utterly decrepit state of Her Majesty's Pathetic Navy
>>
The team has to play consistently well in big competitions first. A lot of the time their style of play is pretty shit, but it works just well enough to get out of groups and they think it is job accomplished. Then they have to stop getting over-excited about every friendly win against teams like Spain and Germany.
>>
>>76216104
Idiot
>>
>>76216288
>The rest of the world take mexico seriously

no they don't
>>
File: 1496113155237.jpg (500KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1496113155237.jpg
500KB, 1280x1707px
>>76216288
>The rest of the world take mexico seriously

Not really. They're probably around Sweden-tier. They can maybe beat you on the day, but they're never seriously going to challenge for anything.

>>76216292
Totally unnecessary and rude. Are you triggered, snowflake? Go back to your Nazi safe space.
>>
>>76216136
deserved to beat belgium in 2014 2bh, I think the usa are taken seriously because of that tournament performance
>>
>>76216231
bullshit. bolivia beat argentina in la paz. england beat germany in a friendly when germany weren't trying. neither of those teams are anywhere close to elite.

>>76216250
>>76216288
I have to think this is a myth perpetuated by your own media, maybe to generate hype by painting your team as an underdog. I think most non-americans see the USMNT as pretty good, just not amazing
>>
>>76216333
>N-Nazi!

What are you on about, faggot?
>>
In 20 years America will be a legitimate powerhouse.

Pulisic may or may not pan out as the world class player he appears to be but he's just the first of many of those types of prospect that will come out of the USA development program
>>
>>76216451
Didn't the US had a plan to win the WC in 20 years....like 25 years ago?
>>
US would have to win the World Cup. not even semis will bring respect
>>
The United States beat England in the World Cup in 1950. Just after England had beaten the whole rest of Europe 6-1.

You should have known then it was just like the colony situation.
>>
>>76216351
Friendly reminder this person is a shitlean who thinks his llama snagging shitlean mum is white
Shitle is shit
>>
>>76216087
in your ass
>>
>>76216136

dirty rotten krauts and their handball
>>
>>76216451
china will beat you to it, they're pumping billions and billions into their football identity

you will have to get rid of the salary cap and bring some prime world class players to the mls to meaningfully develop
>>
>>76216217
HAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>76216579
lol
>>
>>76216217
>make no progress in veitnam
>HAHAH USA BTFO

>england loses war to africa while they only had spears
>that war does even count lad
>>
>>76216351
I was just saying that just by looking at the individual players. Mexico has a history of producing the world class talent. look at hugo sanchez and chicarito. Where they have no trouble playing at top clubs.

Where the better american players are just hanging on at middle size clubs. Pullisic is the first american one to play at a bigger club and even that is because of injuries
>>
>>76216579
got em
>>
>>76216767
>look at hugo sanchez and chicarito. Where they have no trouble playing at top clubs.
lol
>>
>>76216767
>world class talent
>Chicharito

He's a poacher who statpads on tiny CONCACAF teams. The talent they've produced over history is awful considering their population and football being the national sport.
>>
>>76216622
china's top heavy league will collapse and there will still be no good chinese footballers because they all rode the bench or were never signed to the team in the first place
>>
>>76216767
>s. Pullisic is the first american one to play at a bigger club

couldn't be further from reality.
>>
>>76216069
England
>>
File: Bve2lRpIMAA506b.jpg (31KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
Bve2lRpIMAA506b.jpg
31KB, 600x336px
>>76216767

>Mexico has a history of producing the world class talent
>>
>>76216767
An American was the starting goalie for Manchester United in the FA Cup Final, that's a pretty big club pendejo
>>
>>76216767
Pretty amazing how much delusion is contained in this post.
>>
What if some MLS teams beat a bunch of eternal mid table EPL teams in a friendly series.
>>
>>76216954
all 10 people who watched might enjoy it
>>
>>76216954
MLS isn't even midtable, relegation tier clubs have squads worth £100m+. broadcasting revenue is massive and the reason there's such a big quality gap with the championship
>>
>>76216069
It's not a matter of beating a team individually, it's a matter of winning something notable
>>
>>76216893
dortmund does a lot more winning then teams like everton and fulham. It can also be chalked up to the bundesliga having a lot more parity.

>>76216939
I admit ignorance. I never truly started following until around 2010 so I dont much about the past generations.

>>76216863
Yeah I will admit that mexico has done terrible at producing talent compared to their size. they should be a world power and not competing with the USA.

But chicarito has been on a couple of teams that were playing in champions league.

>>76216893
>>76216923
Ok stand corrected on the first. but who else was playing in top class games. I mean dempsey is the only other one I know of and he played in one europa final.

I actually am American and hate mexico.
>inb4 people think I am mexican
>>
>>76216217
*hemorrhage colonies and pretend you wanted to lose them*
>>
>>76216488
Yes but it was misguided and presumptuous to think we'd win it in 2010. We did beat the number one ranked nation in Spain a year earlier but it was in a meme competition
>>
>>76217008
5-10 years though and we should have at least 4 teams that approach taht.
>>
>>76217056
Donovan and Friedel have both played in Europe.
>>
>>76217104
No. Liga MX is Championship quality tier and MLS is a step below that. Until all the teams in the league are at the level of FC Dallas in terms of domestic talent and technical ability, our league will never ever approach Liga MX/Championship quality, let alone midtable Premier league quality.
>>
>>76217114
not that guy, but donovan hardly did and was too much of a pussy to do play in europe.
>>
Me
>>
>>76217127
i hate idiots who thinks its locked in like this.3

too stupid to see all the moving parts.
>>
>>76217127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDabtNwL38U
Case in point, this one was a loss but the quality and level of the game was very good and both teams were neck and neck. Dallas were unlucky in some instances but they did well against Pachuca - who went on to beat Tigres and win the Concacaf cl.
>>
>>76217147
MLS isnt some magical league of underrated quality. The first squads of the best MLS teams are Championship quality but the depth is utter trash and that's where the problem lies since you can't do well in international competitions without some good quality subs to rotate. The bench depth in MLS isnt even League One quality. That's why so many of these players are just journeymen who get paid peanut contracts and move from city to city.
>>
>Mexico has produced world class players

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. Hugo Sanchez was the only one that really was top class. Everyone else was solid at best, but not top.
I want to think that we are increasing the quality of our players each year, but we are nowhere near to the really good teams yet
>>
>>76216288
See: >>76216081.
You yourself don't take "soccer" seriously, so why would anyone else do it? Change your attitude towards the game and see the general public follow.
I really feel America has the potential to be one of the (2nd tier) great teams.
>>
>>76217137
Yeah didn't say they were any good at it, but it's an achievement for American players to even be there.
>>
File: damarcus-beasley.jpg (19KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
damarcus-beasley.jpg
19KB, 600x400px
You now remember DaMarcus Beasley.

Apparently the PSV team he was on in 04-05 took mighty AC Milan to the brink in the Istanbul year, only going out on away goals in the semis.

Great player, possibly the most underrated USNMT player ever
>>
>>76216069
you just need world class players to va considered good
only one of your lads is getting there
>>
>>76217182
Rafa Márquez was world class you nigger that's why we still call him compa
>>
>>76217182
I was definantly going off of the fact that mexico never really had the 2 decades of shear irrelevance like the us did.
>>76217114
I guess friedel could be put up. But even then would you just say he was very very solid.

Also whats the deal with USA having a lot of success at producing good GK
>>76217195
Soccer in the USA has changed a lot over the last decade. Its not laughed at as it was even in the 00's. You can have a serious soccer conversation with the majority of young people younger then 35. Soccer viewership has steadily risen.

I dont think we should put a timeline like people have done in the past. I think its just going to take a long time of steady USMT success to get it unto the second tier .
>>
>>76216451
Until soccer becomes something other the safe sport upper middle class families put their kids in to keep them busy nothing will change. Sheer numbers in terms of increased participation won't mean much.

You also have 4-6 sports you have to leap revenue wise to make it financially enticing. Fact is our middle class here is so well off there's no incentive to be a committed sports player.
>>
>>76216608
>American humor
>>
>>76217008
Yeah your bottom end premier teams have salaries of ~70 million £, only 4 clubs here have salaries over $10 million. Think we kind of underestimate how big the gulf still is because honestly it's not a position Americans are use to so they have a hard time conceptualizing it.
>>
>>76217238
Fuck I forgot about him. Based Rafa Marquez, even Pep said he was the best central defense since Beckenbauer.
>>
>>76217170
>Depth
This is far and away the major issue with mls. It's a mix of a handful of respectable world talent with really low-end talent to fill out how many teams mls has expanded to.
>>
>>76217290
> It's a mix of a handful of respectable world talent
You need to stop reaching.
>>
>>76217240
I can only think of Howard, Friedel and Guzan being considered successes, but I guess goalkeepers are better suited to the athletes you focus on producing, physicality and reflexes.
>>
>>76217309
>Respectable
Yeah I meant that term more loosely than it came off
>>
>>76216622
Buying in talented foreign players en masse can only hurt the NT, vide the English National Team.
More Pogbas, Zlatans and Mbappes and it'll turn to complete shit not so long from now.

>>76217240
That's good, but people younger than 35 ain't having an impact yet. Imagine you were serious about it not for a decade, but 30 years already - you'd have an influx of youths passionate and committed to the sport, willing to give their best and a large pool to fish the talent from, unlike how it was up to now, innit.
>>
>>76217382

england were crap long before foreign players came along. we failed to even qualify for a few international tournaments
>>
>>76216333
>They can maybe beat you on the day, but they're never seriously going to challenge for anything.
Aren't you talking about England now?
>>
>>76217262
>implying you did not laugh
>>
>>76217382
>you'd have an influx of youths passionate and committed to the sport, willing to give their best and a large pool to fish the talent from, unlike how it was up to now, innit.
The main problem is, that they don't have a real league. I don't mean that the players are not good enough or something, i'm talking about the league system.

I don't know much about how it works there, but i know that the first league teams can't be relegated to the second league, and the second league is actually a completly different league, just with less money and less relevant.

Also, i don't like playoffs. It's such an american thing.

So that means that at the end of the season, you don't have teams that are fucked because they have to go down, and you don't have a champion yet, before the playoffs are played. It sounds boring as fuck to be honest.

About China: you have a point there, but the reason for that is not, that they want to have a really strong league. They want to make more young people interested in football. Most chinese boys and men don't care about football, so they won't ever start playing and the NT remains shit. But if they actually see more football in the newspaper, in the tv, or even in the stadium, they become interested in trying it, which results in a stronger NT in future. But that will take a few decades of course.
>>
>>76216288
>ROW takes mejico seriously
Lol no
>>
>>76216503
US beat englel on 30's WC too
Beating englel its not that big of a prowess
>>
>>76217632
>But that will take a few decades of course.

Hope it takes longer than that. International football is basically over as soon as it becomes their national sport.
>>
>>76216069
Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France
one of those 6, during a World Cup and not in a friendly
>>
>>76217679
Lol yeah. I don't even like the sport much but for the sake of both our interest I hope that isn't the case.
>>
Not taking them seriously and probably never will. Only teams I take seriously at WC are probably Germany, Argentina and Brazil. England is the biggest joke tbqh.

I would like USA to be the surprise of a WC, maybe hitting semi finals. Wouldn't be enough to be taken seriously here, but I would be happy for them.
>>
>>76216069
For starters beat Mexico consistently. Second when you are invited actually do something, at least semis. Then a semi in WC wouldn't hurt.
But you'll stay a joke as long as Mexicans keep winning CONCACAF CL.
So yeah having a serious MLS side would be a start.
>>
The social stigma that surrounds soccer in the United States. Good luck with that one.
>>
You can be like Croatia, defeat some big team then proceed to lose to Portugal or Turkey
>>
>>76217820
But...we got to a Copa America semifinal last year.
>>
>>76217679
Not necessarily. Our culture doesn't really emphasize the subtleties (like the Xavi through pass instead of the Ronaldo shot) needed to become really successful in this sport.

Even in other sports, the physically AND mentally gifted LeBrons/Tom Brady types are very much the exception instead of the rule. We might have better athletes, sure, but it isn't everything.
>>
>>76217873
I'm talking about China

When they have 7 times the population of Brazil it's just a matter of sheer numbers
>>
>>76217899
True to a degree, but the same concepts apply.

If countries like Uruguay, with a population under 5 million, can win multiple World Cups and still compete and produce world class players like Luis Suarez today, anybody still has a shot, as long as they have the right environment. It's still 11 versus 11 on the pitch.
>>
>>76217838
a meme copa america, where we still got destroyed by Argentina.
>>
>>76216350
They did not deserve to beat us, our players were just retarded to shoot directly at the goalkeeper each time
>>
>>76219092
Yeah it was a miracle that game wasn't a blowout to be honest
>>
>>76217219
he was an average player, everytime he tried his luck in a big league like england or germany he failed and was gone within a year
>>
>>76216069
I respected USMNT on '09 Confeds' Cup...
>>
>>76216069

>remove all the handicaps' faggotry from MLS, salary cap included
>stop buying meme players and throw some moneyball shit to hire at least good players from foreign countries
>invest money in real coaches for youth centres
>aim for the crackhead niggas on those centres, promise some college, fame and money shit

Then, we'll start thinking about not getting our asses rekt by the chicanos everytime
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.