[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix this shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_3357.jpg (32KB, 500x487px)
IMG_3357.jpg
32KB, 500x487px
How do we fix this shit?
>>
File: basedlavar.png (399KB, 960x710px)
basedlavar.png
399KB, 960x710px
>>76038611
Adam Silver stay in yo lane
>>
>>76038611
Abandon the lottery draft. Do it how the NFL does it.

>inb4 "tanking"
Let the boys tank
>>
>>76038611
Let's be real

NBA is (((NBA)))

is what it is
>>
>>76038611
-Make fouls more defined. I've been a die hard fan my whole life and I still don't really know what a foul specifically is. I think it should be clear, hard contact. Don't call it if there's a small amount of contact, or contact that doesn't alter the shot at all.

-Quit the replay center bullshit. Don't waste time deciding whether a pat on the head is a flagrant. It slows down the game significantly. Absolutely no replay on anything until last 2 minutes of the fourth

- Remove conferences. Playoffs seed 1-16
>>
>>76038656
yep. 'NBA' cares more about social engineering than sport. Basically', corrupt ass league delivers a corrupt ass product.
>>
>>76038678
You can't remove conferences. USA is huge and having to travel across the country multiple times a week would fuck you up
>>
>>76038703
You can still effectively schedule games using divisions. But conference seeding is part of the reason the parity isn't there in the NBA.

Most teams already travel hundreds of thousands of miles a year anyway. Hell the Lakers spent 2 weeks straight on the road every year because of Staples Center hosting the Grammys.
>>
>>76038680
Pretty much. NBA is Hollywood bullshit.

NHL ought to be paying the NBA for promotion their shit is so wack.

I shudder to think of the NBA award show hosted by Drake.

baka
>>
>>76038611
>no max contracts
>Go one way or the other with the salary cap, not that in between shit
>change 2 pointers to 3 and 3 pointers to 4(youre basically a moron if you don't drive to the hoop or shoot a 3 now with the metrics)

Owner/players will not agree to the first two and autistic purists won't allow the third
>>
Some parity would help.
>>
Make Steph Curry and Klay Thompson's contracts expire. Ship Lebron James off to China.
>>
>>76038774
Like this dude >>7603868 said.

I'm not sure the NBA is all too interested in sport. Doesn't seem to be their priority.
>>
>>76038789
How about an actual salary cap?

Not some 'luxury tax' bullshit.

What's 'money' to some of these (((people)))?

rigged joke league
>>
Eliminate the three point line
>>
>>76038748
>hundreds of thousands of miles a year anyway.
according to this it's ~35,000 to ~50,000 miles per team per year
http://nbasavant.com/apps/map.php
>>
>>76038611
http://sportsdataresearch.com/hybrid-format-for-basketball-game-duration/
>>
>>76038831
Yeah. All memes aside, can anyone here legitimately explain the salary cap/lux tax deal?

and what the fuck does money matter to the ultra-elite? How is this even considered competition?
>>
>>76038618
This would be a better image if it didn't have katie whatsherface in it
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7KB, 200x252px
>>76038876
>((())) colluded hard on Golden State
>redpilled LeBron did what he had to do
>(((media))) ran their mouths
the 2017 NBA season

real talk
>>
>>76038907
Wow thanks great post
>>
>>76038876

hard cap = can't sign any more free agents or absorb salary from trades

You can go above the hard salary cap ONLY to resign players you already have the bird rights to or to sign min contracts, that's it. Also every dollar you go over you have to pay double in luxury tax.

so basically luxury tax only stops good teams from keeping role players over till next year since their contracts become disproportionally huge. Owners will still pay hundreds of millions in tax to keep their superstars and starters around no matter what.

also for some reason luxury tax was what spooked the OKC owner into giving up harden, so I guess that's one superteam the tax had an effect on
>>
>>76038907
>redpilled LeBron did what he had to do

100% correct. What the resting controversy was really about.
>>
>>76038982
Money isn't real though.

What are the literal actual numbers?

NBA lost my trust. No other way to put it (snd I love basketball)
>>
>>76039005
Exactly. No hard cap = corrupt bullshit. NBA is WWE except way more nefarious.
>>
Call traveling.
>>
>>76039005
Yep. What's luxury tax to niggas who literally print money?
>>
>>76038611
Get ride of the bonus shit, Bring back Jump balls
Define fouls better/hold refs accountable for consistently bad calls
eliminate conferences
No ads on jerseys
Contract the league to 26 teams
Relocate the Clippers to Seattle
Relocate the Nets back to Jersey
Force the Wizards to change back to the Bullets
Force the Utah Jazz to give the Jazz name rights back to New Orleans.
>>
the same way we fix soccer
M U L T I B A L L
>>
File: 1996-bulls-big-4.jpg (819KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
1996-bulls-big-4.jpg
819KB, 1000x600px
>>76038611
What shit? The league has never been more interesting than it is now.

The last time the league was this interesting and entertaining was when the Bulls dominated the 90s.
>>
>>76038611
Ban blacks
>>
File: 1427926543688.jpg (63KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1427926543688.jpg
63KB, 500x600px
>>76038611
team work
>>
salary floor
lower and more strict salary cap. no luxury tax bullshit
require prospects to wait two years before declaring for NBA draft
>>
>>76039179
The NBA was utter dogshit in the 90s, too, and Jordan is a fraud.
>>
>>76039376
The NBA had its most sales and highest ratings in the 90s. After Jordan retired ratings hit an all-time low and stayed there, until now - the LeBron era.

The league is just now becoming as popular again as it was in the mid-to-late 90s.
>>
>>76039412
Popular and good are not the same things.
>>
>>76039179
Yeah except playoff series back then were actually good
>>
>>76039416
>Popular and good are not the same things.

They are when it comes to the NBA.

The league nearly had to close its doors in the 70s. Nobody could make any money. People weren't watching.

Then Magic and Bird happened, and there was life again. Now they were trending back upwards. Then Michael Jordan happened, then the Dream Team happened and that represents most popular era of basketball in NBA history. Was the basketball good? It was good defensive ISO basketball.

But I think modern basketball is a lot better. It's more fluid - a lot of passing - "the open teammate" is now a kind of holy grail that playmakers have to find - so it's much more like the sport was intended to be played i.e. the ball touches the court as little as possible.

In any case, these are the two most popular eras in NBA history, and, for my money, the best basketball ever played is being played right now by these great ball-movement teams.
>>
>>76039433
The best playoff series I've ever seen was either last year's Finals or the 2012 Finals. Both went 7 games in the most unlikeliest of manners. Both insanely and historically epic.

I don't remember any epic Finals in the 90s.
>>
>>76039472
Well I fucking hate it, so maybe I just hate the sport of basketball. I genuinely despise the modern NBA era, with its superteams and its whiny stars. I think I just fucking totally fucking hate basketball as a sport. I hate how one player makes so much of a difference on a team. I hate how players whine and complain for fouls. I hate how little parity there is in the league. I just completely despise the current state of professional basketball, to the point where every game I watch just increases my hatred.
>>
File: mad life.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mad life.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
>>76039508
maybe you should find another sport to watch
>>
>>76038611
Division between two leagues: a top league qith 12 teams and a promotion league with 18. Pro/rel between them.
>>
>>76039538
I am and do. My favorite sport is football, and I've been getting into baseball too. I got into basketball a few years ago, and I did enjoy it for a while, but in the last two years or so I can't stop hating what the league has become.
>>
>>76038611

Step 1
>Make the season 60 games

Step 2
>Make the first two rounds of the playoffs best 3 out of 5

Step 3
> Prevent more than 2 all stars being on the same team
>>
>>76038678

You can't remove conferences in a sport without parity like the NBA.
>>
>>76039508
Then don't watch basketball. Basketball and parity was never a thing.
>>
>>76039606
>Prevent more than 2 all stars being on the same team

nigga are you retarded?
>>
>>76038611
Cut the season in half. Make the regular season actually matter. Fine teams out the ass if they rest players because, at 42 games, there's literally no reason. Have independent doctors examine cases to make sure teams are bullshitting about sitting guys. Stop disrespecting paying customers and tv partners. Right now it's just an 82 game borefest.

Secondly, cut the teams in half. Literally 2 teams worth a fuck. Sure you got teams like Houston and the spurs and young teams that are good, but with fewer teams that elite talent would be more evenly distributed. Send 3/4s of these shitters to the d league where they belong. A guy like Tyler Zeller who averaged 3 points and 3 fucking rebounds this season should not be making 16 million for 2 years. His ass should be in the d league and replaced by a guy who deserves to play professional basketball. Then you have a team like Orlando or the Nets that are literally worthless teams in worthless markets. People in florida want to see the heat and people in new York want to see the knicks, regardless of how much they suck. That's just how it is.

It's really not that hard, but it would require dealing with a lot of butthurt fans of shit teams, pissed off players being sent to the d league where they belong and basketball purists screaming about how nothing should be changed. Fuck all them. The NBA is going to become irrelevant one day if they keep disrespecting customers and network partners. It won't be anytime soon, but eventually people will get tired of these super teams and going to games only to see half the fucking roster is "resting".

I would say just watch college basketball but even that's ruined by the one and done rule and the slow as fuck pace with refs calling every god damn thing.
>>
>>76039718
I saw someone on Twitter compare the NBA to NASCAR. There was a point at which NASCAR's ratings were still high but people were complaining about the shitty quality of the races. The NASCAR league office would just flaunt their numbers and ignore the complaints. Now their ratings are dogshit, to the point that they're having to scramble and pull tricks to increase viewership. The NBA seems vulnerable to heading down that path, to me.
>>
>>76039376
t. not old enough to remember the 90s

Even though the Bulls dominated the decade, there were other teams even in their own conference that gave them tough competition. Pacers and Knicks ves Chicago were classics.
>>
>>76039508
So... you're a hater? Okay.

I like the beauty and grace of the modern game on the best teams. The athletes are unselfish. The shooting skill is extraordinary. The ball movement is ideal. And we still often see displays of strength and high flying in the lane.

Complaining about fouls is natural and infinite. It will never stop. Lack of parity is a short term issue and unfortunately for the league the occurance of parity also means a lack of popularity and lack of income. The fans of this league want Michael Jordans and Magic Johnsons. Not John Walls and DeMar DeRozans.
>>
>>76039809
It is absolutely NOT a short-term issue. It's a fundamental flaw of the NBA. The league has NEVER had parity. The closest it's gotten is the 70s and maybe the early 80s.

The Lakers have 16 championships and the Celtics have 17. Compare that to the other sports leagues.. In MLB the Yankees have 23 championships, but MLB is more than 100 years old and the Yankees are one of the oldest clubs. In the NFL the Packers claim 13 championships, but nobody takes them seriously, and in Super Bowl titles nobody has more than the Steelers' six. The Habs have won the Stanley Cup 24 times, but the NHL also has the most parity of any major sports league.

This is exclusively a basketball problem. All the other sports and all the other sports leagues handle parity just fine. There is something rotten at the heart of the NBA, and only the NBA.
>>
>>76038611
There's been so much shit done with salaries to try to force players to settle for non-contenders, but it'll never work.

Non-contenders need a reason to try hard, otherwise nothing will change.
>>
>>76039909
It IS a short term issue because players like Jordan and Magic and LeBron are rare, and when those types aren't at their peak, or non-existent, the wealth is shared. We get the Mavs winning, we get Detroit winning, we get Houston winning, we get San Antonio winning, we get Seattle winning, we get the Heat winning. But, unfortunately, sharing the wealth means a reduction of interest in the public, because then every team just seems mediocre - which is actually true. They are.

I think you have to consider how much the viewing public values the visceral entertainment of the domination of a single player over everyone else. It's something to behold whether from Pistol Pete or Shaquille O'Neal or from Jimi Hendrix or Gustav Mahler.
>>
File: IMG_1257.gif (2MB, 300x165px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1257.gif
2MB, 300x165px
Trampolines
>>
>>76038611

I feel bad for sports reporters who are forced to watch this shit. I don't know what the fans excuses are nor do I care.
>>
>>76040030
The fans just want to see Golden State and Cleveland in the Finals again. Along with everyone else on the planet!

Why do we need excuses?

I can't think of a better way for these two teams to meet in the Finals than for both to be undefeated. We're watching classic NBA history, fellas. This is going to be the fight of the century.
>>
>82 game season
>Literally half of the league makes the playoffs
I'd start by reducing the number of teams that can make the playoffs.
>>
File: fühlt schlecht.jpg (34KB, 546x417px) Image search: [Google]
fühlt schlecht.jpg
34KB, 546x417px
I really wanted to follow the NBA playoffs this year. Jinxed it.

I thought at least the conference be interesting would be exciting.
>>
File: chen patient.png (46KB, 322x218px) Image search: [Google]
chen patient.png
46KB, 322x218px
>>76040232
I shouldn't smoke that much.

I meant at least the conference finals would be exciting.
>>
>>76040249
But we are being deprieved of huge upsets like Dallas and Warriors a decade ago or Chicago and Boston if Rondo didnt get injured.
>>
>>76039572
you could try watching rugby, rugby sevens is an easy game to get into
>>
>entire regular season is pointless
>get to playoff time
>oh boy this is where the real nba begins
>it's just another Cavs GSW blowout to get to the finals
>literally every other team in the nba is a punching bag for the two teams to practice against for an entire season until they face each other in the finals yet again

I don't pretend to know how to fix this shit, I just know it's boring as fuck. feels like there's too many regular season games considering how pointless it is, and they might be taken a bit more seriously if each game had more riding on it.

also, how can you allow something like durant moving to GSW to happen? blows my fucking mind that a sport based on having a small roster of superstar players doesn't have rules that stop one team hoarding all the superstars.
>>
>>76040811
They're trying to. A new rule was added some months ago that allows teams to offer more to their superstars than other teams during free agency.

Not gonna work obviously, but they're trying some shit at least.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.