[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 09SAILBRIS-DAY4-62-Medium.jpg (53KB, 591x600px) Image search: [Google]
09SAILBRIS-DAY4-62-Medium.jpg
53KB, 591x600px
Any sailors here? I just joined a local boating club and have been having a blast.

What do you all sail?
>>
File: I don't always.jpg (70KB, 362x465px) Image search: [Google]
I don't always.jpg
70KB, 362x465px
>>
I used to go to a sailing club in my high school years, sailed a J/24 but stopped after that.
>>
>>75340826
You should rejoin. Lots of fun, friend
>>
>>75338942
Is that a Contender? Those things are fucking insane to pilot. I sailed one once, and spent more time flipping the boat than I did moving
>>
Not a sailor but I'm really looking forward to this years Americas Cup
>>
I won pic related's National Championship some quantity of years and then represented cuntry at the world championships, didn't do aswell there. Only placed top 10 which is probably below par for the usual Australian representative.

Hardly sail now anymore, but during my teens I sailed probably everyday for several hours.
>>
File: 823930202.jpg (83KB, 741x572px) Image search: [Google]
823930202.jpg
83KB, 741x572px
>>75343862
forgot pic
>>
>>75343862
What city are you from?
>>
>tfw you'd kind of like to learn how to sale but don't want to deal with all the expenses because you already have enough expensive hobbies
>>
File: 1324512530024.jpg (5KB, 137x146px) Image search: [Google]
1324512530024.jpg
5KB, 137x146px
I found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_rYAyl81qY

This guy's core strength must be fucking titanic, holy shit
>spending 45 minutes hiking out

I would explode
>>
>>75343941
>implying all sailboats are either enormous America's Cup catamarans or Bermuda Race sized race yachts
>>
>>75343683
I can tell you that the team with more money wins. I can also tell you Team New Zealand will be the only team who's whole crew is actually from the country they're representing.
>>
>>75344008
>>tfw you'd kind of like to learn how to sale but don't want to deal with all the expenses because you already have enough expensive hobbies

A sale shouldn't cost money unless you advertise. A sale should be bringing in cash. You're thinking of buying not selling.
>>
>>75344008
Find a club. Usually all you need is a membership fee, mine works out to about $20 a month. If you want more advanced classes, you can pay
>>
>>75344285

>Team New Zealand will be the only team who's whole crew is actually from the country they're representing

Glenn Ashby is Australian, Carlo Huisman is dutch, Gilberto Nobli is Italian.

That's just the sailing team, the shore crew is even more multi national.
>>
parents have a 36 foot boat
did lasers and laser 2s when younger
brother had a 29er but he would always try to sail competitively even just for fun so it didn't work out

now I live right next to the water, looking at getting one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TB93-mdw1E
>>
>>75344479
Would you recommend a Laser to someone who's starting back up after a long time not sailing? I've been looking at them. I'm also on the heavier side so I hear the Rooster 8.1 rig is good for fatties who want to keep up with normal-sized people in lighter winds
>>
>>75344530
thing about lasers are they're really optimized for 175 lbs

depends how heavy you are, and what the local boats and winds are

a 420 is good solo in light winds
>>
>>75344479

>YWN bang prime Dekker all the way around the globe non stop.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>75344599
230 right now, attempting to drop closer to 200 over the course of the spring and summer. I'm not trying to race, I just want to go fast. Maybe race my friends in their Escape up in the lakes region of NH.

Would a 420 be too much as a solo sail in stronger winds?
>>
>>75344632
>no age of consent laws on the high seas

>>75344691
can always just go without the jib, or even just the jib if it's real windy
>>
>>75338942
i have a sunfish

it's pretty cool OP
>>
>>>/asp/
Non-ball sports are only allowed on /sp/ during the olympics
>>
Cocaine Crash is not a sport
>>
>>75344691
>lakes region
I grew up in meredith, real nice lake country there.
>>
>>75345659
Hey that's where my friend's house is
>>
>>75345546
Try sailing a Dutchman in 30 knot winds and see how you do
>>
>>75344004
Sydney, but the club I sailed at was probably a 2 hour drive from the CBD.

Sydney harbour has way too much traffic for training.
>>
>>75344884
>can always just go without the jib

good luck trying to point.
>>
>>75338942
Sailing
Takes me away
To where I always
Heard it could be
>>
>>75344014
people who sail Finns are slightly crazy
>>
Have sailed 420, snipes, etchells, Optis, and did college sailing. Multiple time national champion. Sailing is life and for people who don't think it's physical, go saili an etchells in 15-20 knots
>>
File: i43p2832802.jpg (52KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
i43p2832802.jpg
52KB, 660x440px
anyone here do teams racing
>>
>>75346914
What would you recommend for solo sailing/going fast
>>
I live in Atlanta.
>>
>>75348183
That's a shame
>>
>>75338942
14' Tyka catamaran
fast and stable it's a bliss
>>
I'd like to get into sailing, but I don't want to sail Lasers, call me boring but what's the point in sailing if you end up soaking wet, why not just go windsurfing?

I've done some sailing on holidays, catamarans are fun, even did it solo
>>
Grew up racing knockabouts in woods hole MA. pretty cool times, and just sad that our skipper died of leukemia. We were a fantastic team. My dad was the strategist, my dad's friend was skipper, and I worked the jib. It couldn't have been any better
>>
>>75353591
You are a pussy if you're afraid to get wet
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.