[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

International Hockey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2642.png (35KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2642.png
35KB, 250x191px
Is there any reason why certain European nations adore hockey and others don't? If you're going to argue climate, i'll say not which leads me to the thing I noticed.

Northern Europe: Sweden and Finland are crazy about the sport but Norway and Denmark aren't.

Eastern Europe: Russia and Czechoslovakia (lol) are, but Ukraine and Poland aren't.

Western Europe: Germany and Switzerland (to an extent) but not France or U.K.

Can anyone provide and reasoning or good reads on this?
>>
File: memehockey.jpg (244KB, 1280x835px) Image search: [Google]
memehockey.jpg
244KB, 1280x835px
Roller hockey is a national sport in Portugal, leaf

>tfw nobody watches our meme sport
>>
>>75336837
>Can anyone provide and reasoning or good reads on this?
Hockey is fucking shit lmao
>>
>>75336914
thank god
>>
>>75336914
why don't you use real hockey sticks buddy
>>
>>75336928
I don't know, I don't watch it either
>>
>>75336924
can you provide one reason you literal gypsy fuck
>>
>>75336914
Why use bandy sticks for roller hockey?
>>
Most of the french people don't really like sport and just follow it when the NT is succefull (exeption made for the football in some cities), the hockey will never develop here unless there is some golden generation that will trigger some interest (like handball 25 years ago).
>>
>>75336837
denmark is too continental for winter sports
they barely have snow

norway is the kanada of scandinavia where they only care about one sport and subdivisions of that sport (skiing) and cheating in that sport

Ukraine is poor, pooland is also poor

uk only care about gay anglo sports and football

>france
>winter
>>
UK, Germany and Netherlands play field hockey instead
>>
>>75337021
Poland has a higher GDP per capita than Russia and not far behind Slovakia and Czech Rep.
>>
>>75337021
>denmark barely has snow
let me doubt that
>>
>>75336983
>tfw everybody assumes the few French guys in the NHL are from Quebec
>>
>>75337264
southern norway barely has snow
>>
>>75337264
the country is a flat peninsula close to gulf stream
>>
>>75336914
Honestly it's pretty comfy, i've watched it a couple of times.
>>
>>75339867
I'm surprised. I thought no one outside the Iberian Peninsula and the PALOPs watched this sport. Unless you're diaspora.

I rarely watch it because I can never track the ball, even in this HD era.
>>
>>75340184
I am portuguese though that's why. I don't think i've ever seen it anywhere outside of Portugal though which is a shame since it's quite enjoyable once you get past the meme aspect of it.
>>
File: 1490471213266.png (86KB, 702x486px) Image search: [Google]
1490471213266.png
86KB, 702x486px
>>75340430
Yeah, I remember being very disappointed as a teenager when I found out this sport is internationally irrelevant.

It's our 2nd sport behind football and always seemed as fun as handball or basketball which are also fairly popular here, and yet no one knows about roller hockey.
>>
It's almost like there's only one sport in the world with an actual universal appeal
>>
>>75336914
actually a really great sport
love to watch it now and then
expecially because Porto and Portugal are really good teams
>>
>>75337322
There are a lot of French Canadians in the NHL and only like 3 or 4 mainland French people
>>
Because it's a shit sport tbqh.
Also, it's a sport that not every kid can play when they wish.

It's just plain bad in every way.
>>
>>75340714
Our 2nd sport is currently Futsal m8
>>
>>75336837
Don't know how anyone can enjoy hockey. You can't even see the puck from the distance.
>>
>>75337322
Aren't they ?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170407-182420.jpg (731KB, 1263x980px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170407-182420.jpg
731KB, 1263x980px
Pulju yuro tour when?
>>
>Germany to an extent
nope
nobody cares about this sport
>>
>>75346490
There are 3 actual Frenchmen in the league I believe, maybe 2, the rest are Québécois
>>
>>75336837
>Northern Europe: Sweden and Finland are crazy about the sport but Norway and Denmark aren't.

Difference is ocean, most of Norway and entire Denmark have mild winters due to ocean. Due to mountains only southern Sweden has mild winters. Southern Sweden, Denmark and most of Norway can play football all around the calendar.
>>
>calling ice hockey "hockey"

Hockey is older and more popular than ice hockey. Imagine making a game where you play basketball on grass and just calling it basketball.
>>
>>75346438
Roller hockey is historically more relevant in our culture. But I confess I'm not sure if futsal has already surpassed it or not.
Perhaps if Porto joins in we might say futsal is the 2nd sport with all certainty.

Anyways, futsal is not a fun sport anymore.
>>
>>75349308
Futsal is the second most practiced sport in the country, surpassing handball for a while now.
>>
>>75348092
>field hockey more popular than ice hockey

you havin a laugh?
>>
>>75349308
>>75349397
And roller hockey isn't even in the top 5.

Porco is irrelevant. I don't know why you think otherwise, outside your city almost no one cares about you.
And it's the local clubs that are responsible for most of the sport practiced in the country.
>>
>>75349435
I'm not tripeiro. Hell, I even live way down south.
Roller hockey is still very popular amongst grandpa and dad generations. I'd say it's still more popular than handball (which is my 2nd favourite sport in Portugal after footy)
>>
>>75349405
Indias second sport. Just by numbers it's a bigger population than USA, Canada and the whole scandinavia together, and that's only one country.

More popular than your faggotry on skates in the whole europe and straya.
>>
>>75346452
>You can't even see the puck from the distance.
I don't get this meme. Once you have a grasp of the game it's easy to see and you can easily tell by watching the movement and flow of the game.
>>
>>75349515
It really isn't more popular than handball. Handball has loads of kids playing it around the country. Or do you mean the television following?
Because I beat you right now that even basketball and voley are more popular among ppl that actually do sports.
>>
>>75349739
I meant television/media following, yes

Everyone plays handball, basketball and volleyball in highschool, but few bother playing/watching these sports on a professional level.
>>
Only certain cities in Norway has hockey culture. They are all in the south-eastern part around Oslo, or close to Sweden. That's also where most of the lakes are. So pond hockey can be played for longer outdoors. Recently also Stavanger has become a hockey town, as some billionaire has poured money into facilities (western norway is wetter and less frozen)
>>
warm countries with shit winters
poor countries with no money for hockey stadiums
all afraid of finnish excellence so better not try
>>
Ice Hockey is kinda popular in the U.K. It depends if your city has a team or not, for instance a lot of meme cities like Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry, Fife, Dundee, Belfast have teams in the Elite League and they have pretty loyal followers.

A big problem is that it isn't big in London so it doesn't get national exposure, we barely have any ice rinks in London, most of them are pop up rinks for Christmas.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7BkX7JT1wlc
>>
>>75336914
why not use rollerblades instead?
>>
>>75346530
There are a few German in the NHL whether you care or not
>>
>>75350411
>finnish excellence
i aint afraid of no ghost
>>
File: logo.png (70KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
70KB, 288x288px
>>75336837

>Muh dveščak
>>
>>75336837

>if you're going to argue climate

It's exactly that. Only snowniggers care about hockey. Which means Scandis and Russia.

Nobody else cares. France and Germany have ice hockey teams because they have teams for virtually all sports. There's even handegg teams in Germany (or used to be) but nobody in France/Germany gives a shit about ice hockey, it's like the #24th sport followed by a few hipsters, whereas in Sweden and Finland is probably in the top 3.
>>
File: jogo-hoquei-patins_0.jpg (165KB, 1094x424px) Image search: [Google]
jogo-hoquei-patins_0.jpg
165KB, 1094x424px
>>75351041
They aren't nearly as fast as the 2x2 for turning and sprinting, because they will have much less of the wheel in contact with the ground because rollerblades wheels have to be rounded in order to use them.

I remember a WC many years ago where the Russian team used roller-blades (because they've been playing ice hockey all their lives) and it was hilarious how they couldn't keep up with the pace at any giving time.
>>
>>75346252
litterally how is it a shit sport
>>
>>75349576
>faggotry on skates
>national sport is based on dives
>>
>>75352987
because it's fucking gay
>>
>>75353145
>be a finn
>be not irrelevant and gay
>>
>>75336837
culture
>>
I don't know why some people hate ice hockey so much.. Just watch one playoffs match and you will see why hockey is truly amazing.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.