[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Success of the World Baseball Classic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: WBC Beast.jpg (67KB, 920x654px) Image search: [Google]
WBC Beast.jpg
67KB, 920x654px
>--Over one million people attended the games

>--2.3 million people watched US decimate PR in the finals, the 2nd most watched game in MLB TV history only behind Cubs/Giants playoff game. Overall viewership up 32% over 2013 ratings. (source: https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkPR/status/844983685845864448)

>--Unprecedented hype levels, with highlights like Jones' catch and fucking everything Machado did getting great press.

>--Cinderella stories like Israel and Columbia

>--USA literally fighting the powerhouses of baseball--DR, Japan, PR--and winning, bringing more attention to the tournament than ever before

This was an amazing celebration of international baseball. I'm looking forward to 2021. (...and 2020?) Besides having more of the best players play for each country, how could it be improved?

Here are a few ideas I've been mulling over:

>Simplify the tie breakers. This must be done after that embarrassment with Mexico.
>More round robin games. Baseball isn't soccer, it shouldn't be three and done. In the round robin you play teams in your pool twice. With some double headers, this wouldn't make the tournament significantly longer.
>Semi-finals becomes best 2 of 3. This does add some more length to the tournament, but not a ton. In 2013 and 2017, Japan has flown over here after kicking ass in Asia and been done after their first game on American soil. After all that work, whoever comes over from Asia in the future should have more than just one lone shot. Its also a chance for Americans to see teams/players we almost never see; and for Japanese players and MLB teams to make connections. Final remains single game though.
>For the American pool, first and second rounds stay in Miami.
>>
baseball haters BTFO
>>
>>74840070
>Semi-finals becomes best 2 of 3.
>Final remains single game though.
This seems inappropriate, giving more attention and weight to the semifinal round than the final just for the sake of letting the winners of the previous round to play 1-2 more games before elimination or advancement. I can't think of any other tournament that scales back the number of games in each series as the rounds progress.
>>
>>74840070
Its every 4 years shit should make it every 2
>>
3.1 million watched between the three networks showing it, most ever for a WBC game, which is significant since it used to be on ESPN and not some meme channel

>>74840070
>I'm looking forward to 2021. (...and 2020?)
premier 12 in late 2019, olympics in mid 2020, wbc in early 2021
feels good, love international baseball

agree about tie breakers and more round robin games. run differential is definitely a better tiebreaker, not perfect, don't know if there's a real good tiebreaker.

I think two groups of 8 would work, they can still work with that to have a couple host countries and several cities for each group. top 4 of each group go the quarterfinals, all one and done through the final, probably would be better to have them during an extended all star break.

Teams definitely need to be better split between the Asian and American sides, the teams over here are just a lot better, but it'll be a tough sell to get these teams with mostly MLB players to go over to Asia.

Another idea I've had is three groups of 6 instead of two of 8, so only 6 teams in Asia. Top 2 from each group go to a second round group of 6 where the top 2 teams then play a 3 game series probably for the championship. Whole final group can be done in an all star break also. desu though I like the idea of more one and done games for this more, more chaos gives many more countries a chance. the final group of 6 in this idea would definitely be a lot of top level baseball though.

both ideas are 63 games total, up form 39 right now, still should take only about 2 weeks total
>>
>>74845081
i will have Premier 12 in 2018 as well

and more than never WBC is the world cup of baseball, i really want MLB move the World Series into World Baseball Classic
>>
>>74845333

*we will

Premier 12 happens all years when dont happens WBC stuff
>>
I'm not gonna lie, I'm a boreball hater, but the WBC was really comfy to watch. It was nice to have in the background
>>
>>74845081
>Whole final group can be done in an all star break also.

I need for this idea to die. Sports writers keep suggesting playing the roundrobin and semis in spring training, and then the finals four months later during the all-star break, and its such a terrible idea. You want to stop a tournament for four months and then restart it? You lose all momentum and interest, team composition could change drastically after four months, the tournament is no longer its own separate thing and is instead just an extension of the allstar break. What would actually be a good idea would be to shut the league down for 3 weeks in July and play the whole thing at once in summer, then you habe players in top form, but of course owners dont want to do that.
>>
The biggest irk for me was the tiebreaker scenario which I believed occurred twice (11th extra innings one). I understand parent clubs who want to protect their players, but perhaps a single runner on or runner on 2nd one out could suffice.

Adam Jones said it best as he was interviewed after winning it all
>"Beats the hell out of Spring Training"
>>
trump unironically did this
>>
This is exactly what this tournament needed.

However, sad to say, the now rising popularity in the US will quickly die down as soon as MLB season starts and the hype for this tournament will be similar to how the Women's WC is seen by most Americans, as in not for love of the game, but for a sense of good ol' American nationalism.
>>
Would it be possible for the US Team to do something similar to what the US Men's Basketball team did--committ to a four year cycle of playing together during the off-season, getting to work together as a team, playing in international matches and ganering attention that way, so that by the time the Olympics and WBC comes, no one could possibly hope to stop them? Having the US go into Santa Domingo, Tokyo, etc. during off season and participate in WBC qualifiers or some other tournament/play would be entertaining as fuck and draw huge ratings.
>>
>>74850999
You're probably right desu.
I was thinking that there would be more interest in the tournament in July when there's nothing else to compete with.

Players would also be in form but they may actually treat it more as an exhibition if it's in the middle of the MLB season, like they treat the ASG, unless the entire tournament is held midseason like you say.
As it is now for most of the players participating the WBC is the most important thing going on for them, it's definitely better than spring training, but if it's midseason that might not be the case.
>>
>>74840070
Teams are going to be even less likely to allow players to attended if they add more games.
Getting the best players to participate is going to get a lot more people to watch than tournament "fairness"
>>
>>74851109
No teams would want to let their pitchers commit to something like this.
>>
>>74851054
It's not even close to the same. I was grinning from ear to ear when the last out came through. The US winning the 2015 world cup didn't register with me at all.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.