/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come they won only one championship?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: celtics big 3.jpg (78KB, 641x427px) Image search: [Google]
celtics big 3.jpg
78KB, 641x427px
How come they won only one championship?
>>
they were all past their primes to some extent.
>>
KGs injury
>>
>>74453646
Kind of bizarre to see modern day players without all the tights/bands/sleeves/pads that they all wear now.
>>
They were all past their prime by the time they got together. Pierce 31 and Allen/KG 33.

09 - ran into 1 year wonder Magic
10 - came down to final minute of game 7 vs LAL in revenge finals
11 - Heat
12 - Heat
13 - done
>>
>>74453646
LeBron
>>
>>74453646
because ray allen is a pussy bitch nigga, should be 2
>>
>>74453731
This
>>
>>74453711

This.

They would have most definitely repeated in 2009 had KG not been injured and possibly ended up getting da 3peat.
>>
Perkins injury in the 2010 championship game was a huge blow.
>>
>>74453818
Heat is more accurate, they're the reason he left cleavland the first time

>that one series against the bulls that went to 7 games and where virtually every game went to over time, some going into multiple ots

I think I'm old but I've gotten really disenfranchised towards basketball lately
>rules changed in nba to favor scoring
>defense takes a back seat
>players like harden, with a playstyle I find disgusting, are heralded as the best in the league, rightfully so since they put up the numbers
>post play is down
>same thing is happening in college ball
>>
File: 8.jpg (27KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
27KB, 640x640px
>>74453979
>muh legalize defense
>muh glory days
>muh stat padding
>muh ballhogging
>muh REAL basketball
>>
KG's injury was the biggest one. If you forgot, he missed the 2009 playoffs so they ended up losing to the Magic. He was never quite the same when he came back from the injury the following year either, so they were never quite as good as they were in 2008 overall again. Perkins' injury in the 2010 finals was the difference maker too. Then age and Lebron.

But yeah, if KG didn't get injured, they probably would have repeated in 2009 and maybe three peated in 2010.
>>
>>74453961
literally this cost them a 2nd championship

they had a short window to begin with, perk blowing out his knee that year, and kg injury another year cost them any real chance
>>
>>74454537
I already qualified by saying "maybe I'm old" you shitlord, I am not saying I'm right, I'm just talking about sports

First, defense is half the game, no reason to marginalize it

Glory days I'll concede

Stat padding happens more now

Ball hogging happens more now (if you run the point)

No basketball is more or less real, just me preference bro
>>
>>74453925
Ariza and Bynum were injured and out of the Finals in 2008, Lakers would've most likely 3 peated if they were healthy.
>>
The Jeff Green trade.
>>
>>74454537
>muh "buzzword"

Kys
>>
>>74453979
>Rule changes in favor of scoring

They really haven't changed anything other than hand checking. It's not like the NFL where they basically forced the defense to off the field in the name of "safety".

>Defense takes a backseat
Defense depends on the era. It was way worse in the early-mid 80s when the showtime Lakers were playing 125 point games every night.

Nowadays NBA defenses are probably more complex than they've ever been considering playing zone was illegal until the 2000s. Also you have to scheme around pick and rolls and threes which are used much more nowadays. Larry Bird even said it himself, in the 80s they never even looked at a guy who was behind the 3pt line, let alone guard him.

>players like harden, with a playstyle I find disgusting, are heralded as the best in the league, rightfully so since they put up the numbers

Idk how having Stockton like handles and infinite range is disgusting? I hate that he flops but that's not his whole game.

>Post play is down

You're wearing some huge nostalgia goggles if you really want to go back to a time when NBA players would stand around and do nothing while Charles Barkley bumped his fat ass around the post for 20 seconds.

>Same thing is happening in college ball

It's an inferior product with inferior players. I'm glad they're finally making it less embarassing.
>>
Anytime rmb that series against Bulls when D rose was a rookie. KG was injured but damn that was one of the goat series I've ever seen
>>
File: 27424240.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
27424240.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>muh Garnett injury

Sod off, bitches. They still had Pierce, Allen, Rondo and Perkins. Simply put, they got embarrassed by Dwight and Rashard. BTFO. Dwight had the TRB of 27% in the series, which is unbelievable.

>muh Perkins injury in 2010

Sod off once again. Injuries are the part of every sport. Besides, his sub was Rasheed fuckin Wallace, so stop whining you Celshits.
>>
File: nba_g_kbryant_sy_576[1].jpg (121KB, 576x324px) Image search: [Google]
nba_g_kbryant_sy_576[1].jpg
121KB, 576x324px
This GOAT right here
>>
>>74457276
https://youtu.be/lgoV5u2WWJs?t=65

Or this GOAT.
>>
>>74457247
Also Bynum was out in 2008.

If Bynum was there Lakers would have won in 08.
>>
File: Bernt.jpg (37KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bernt.jpg
37KB, 720x720px
>>74453646
>Ywn again watch Rajon Rondo's 2010 playoff performance
>>
>>74453646
KG tore his ACL in 09, Kendrick Perkins tore his ACL in '10 and Sheed was too washed up to fill in for him at that point. Danny Ainge fucked the team over in 2011 with the Jeff Green trade, after that they were just too old.
>>
>>74457363
>If Bynum was there Lakers would have won in 08.

I'm a Lakers fan and I don't believe in that. Simply put, that was the Celtics' time.
>>
>>74453646
Overrated players and one trick ponies
>>
>>74457534

False flag, you're no Lakeys fan, I can smell leprechaun on you
>>
>>74453646
Injuries in 2009, refball in the 4th quarter of game 7 in 2010.
>>
>>74453646
Kobe and Lakers were also hitting their stride.
>>
Overrated coach with no bench help
>>
>>74453646
Rondo and Allen hated each other
>>
>>74453979
>defense takes a back seat

If you don't at least try to defend your fucked in the NBA unless your are a offense moster
>>
>>74457012
Defense and fundamental post play really do take a back seat though, which stems from a lot of things such as Euro style big man play, to refs calling bogus fouls, to kids playing one year of college ball and not learning as much as they could basketball wise.
>>
>>74457012
Hand checking is a big change in my opinion. I know many don't find it as important and I respect that but to me it has made perimeter defense worse, even with the other advancements. I agree though that there were eras where defense was similarly bad and that the structure is more complex. I would still like to see it increase in prominence.

As for harden, I don't like how he flops, how he gets a large percentage of his points at the stripe, and how he does stupid shit like piggy back players while on defense. I'm not saying he's bad, he's not, I just don't like him.

Post play had a lot of merit; the defense, it's ability to collapse a defense and the space that provided, and sponge great moves. Sure, players like chuck and shaq used power but guys like the dream and McHale had some really fun to watch moves. Plus, it wasn't just the low post, but posting on the elbow is something I haven't seen to often anymore either.

I know college is inferior but the change in the rules has removed some of the grit. I personally enjoy watching players get intense but I will concede this is just my opinion

Either way, thanks for the genuine response
>>
>>74453646
because Perkins got hurt and Wallace was out of shape
>>
>all the guys on the 2008 championship team are now goners including Rondo who was never the same after he blew his knees twice
>>
File: sackingsoc.jpg (144KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
sackingsoc.jpg
144KB, 500x394px
>tfw your team will never win anything and there are people bitching about only winning one championship ITT
>>
>>74457012
>I hate that he flops but that's not his whole game.
Just 1/4 of his game.
>>
>>74453725
lmao that's because it's a photoshoot, Ray Allen used to completely cover his body in sleeves and pads
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.