[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taking up American Football

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: a3216079630_10.jpg (140KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a3216079630_10.jpg
140KB, 1200x1200px
Has anyone on this board from the UK or Ireland taken up American Football as an adult or in uni?

I'm thinking about taking it up next season in university but I have a few questions, which hopefully players on this thread can answer.

1) How bad is the concussion head injury problem? Are there strongly enforced rules against leading with the head?

2) How high is the standard? I'm a bit bigger than average (6'1.5") but not very fast or explosive. Would I be of a reasonable level or are most players former rugby players who are very quick and powerful?

3) What's the general rate of injury?

4) Is it generally taken extremely seriously at university level, or is it more casual?

I appreciate that the answers to these questions will vary from team to team, but if anyone could attempt to answer these questions, it would be a big help to me.
>>
what a polite motherfucker
>>
I wasn't a part of my uni club but they practiced around the same time. Any good rugby players played rugby. Even bad players usually would still play rugby on the B team. So yeah, they didn't seem to be the biggest or most athletic team. I got the impression it was more of a hobby than a competitive event for the American football players.
>>
>>74211328
I played defensive tackle in my first year at uni. To answer your questions-
1-Not a problem really, especially if you're only playing for a couple of years. The reason it's a big thing is repeated knocks over the course of a career.
2-some are very athletic, some are not at all. The standard of American football in the UK is incredibly hit-and-miss. I've played rugby for most of my life and was in the top end of strength/speed in my team but there isn't really a set standard.

3-eh, a bit higher than uni rugby but not massively so. You should be fine.
4-Depends who you play for. Some unis have very serious teams (Stirling, Birmingham and Loughborough are the really big ones) but some are more just excuses to get mashed and do a bit of sport
>>
>>74211416
>>74211472

Thanks guys.

>>74211364
I know.
>>
>>74211328
what makes you wanna play football?
>>
>>74211328
Don't be afraid of using your face as a weapon
>>
>>74211713
Haven't played any sport since the start of my final year of high school (October '15) and I want to do something other than just lift.
>>
File: silly anon.jpg (40KB, 471x361px) Image search: [Google]
silly anon.jpg
40KB, 471x361px
>>74211328
>(6'1.5")

5'10" manlet dectected
>>
>>74211776
>1776
Looks like American football is the way to go
>>
>>74211328
>1) How bad is the concussion head injury problem? Are there strongly enforced rules against leading with the head?

A: Don't be a pussy you are Irish your life will not amount to much any way

>2) How high is the standard? I'm a bit bigger than average (6'1.5") but not very fast or explosive. Would I be of a reasonable level or are most players former rugby players who are very quick and powerful?

A: Under 6'6" is considered a manlet in the US of A

>3) What's the general rate of injury?

Play through it

>4) Is it generally taken extremely seriously at university level, or is it more casual?

A: See the University of Alabama

>I appreciate that the answers to these questions will vary from team to team, but if anyone could attempt to answer these questions, it would be a big help to me.
>>
why the fuck would you, it's the worst of the non-association football codes

Rugby union is a much better choice. I've heard there's a few australian football clubs over there too if you want to be truly elite.
>>
>>74213347
(please watch our sport)
>>
>>74211809
>Projecting
>>
>>74211328
>How bad is the concussion head injury problem?
There are a handful of high school deaths a year.
>>
>>74211328
Here's an honest answer

1) it's really overplayed in the media,hardly anyone will ever actually get one diagnosed (more on this in a sec). As for rules against leading with the head, yes it's illegal but as long as you're not the ball carrier or hitting the ball carrier, the refs likely won't see it, so you'll get hit or get away with hitting with the helmet a few times. Back to the concussion statement; officially you can be diagnosed with a concussion "if you experience dizziness after a hit" so if that's true, every player gets a couple concussions a game, but in a practical sense unless you're actually woozy or disoriented, you just play on.

2) depends on your position, anywhere between 5 10 to 6 6 and up is realistic for certain positions. As for speed, football is basically 100% explosiveness for all positions, first man off the snap will win, so work extensively on improving your speed and agility.

3) after the first practice everyone is hurt and you will remain hurt until the season is over, you just have to get used to it and work through it. Injury is different in that it means you cannot participate in practice or the game and a couple people get hurt per week at practice or in the game with varying levels of severeness.

4) yes in division 1 schools and less so the further you go down in divisions. You're a eurofag and I assume you'll play there so that depends on your location but I assume it's not taken seriously there.

Always take pain killers before the game and good luck anon
>>
File: 1473085883387.jpg (39KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1473085883387.jpg
39KB, 510x346px
>>74214480
>it's really overplayed in the media
>every player gets a couple concussions a game
>>
>>74211837

A post this shitty should be reserved for Leafs and Emus
>>
File: 1485123478684.jpg (65KB, 629x540px) Image search: [Google]
1485123478684.jpg
65KB, 629x540px
>>74211328

This album is fucking dope man
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.