[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OVERTIME DEBATE NOW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

File: RightSharkBestShark.jpg (89KB, 650x462px) Image search: [Google]
RightSharkBestShark.jpg
89KB, 650x462px
Every team scoring a safety or a TD + 2pts conversion (8 points) wins no matter what.
If you score a TD with PAT (7 points), with a missed PAT/conversion (6 points) or with a FG (3 points), the opposing team has one opportunity to come back on the first drive.
If after the two possessions (one on each side) it's a draw, then you win with a TD no matter what.
If after four drives (two by each side) it's still a draw, then you win with a FG no matter what (or a TD/safety).

In regular season : two timeouts, 15 minutes
In playoffs : three timeouts, unlimited time
>>
In regular season: no extratime
In playoffs: 15 minutes of extratime and if draw persists, decision by FGs
>>
but what about the coin toss?
>>
>>74117843
Or just adopt the college rules
>>
>>74117927
It changes nothing.
>>
>>74117843
That's convoluted and idiotic.

Just play baseball rules and keep playing quarters until the game is over.
>>
>>74117927
On s'en fou ça ne change plus rien si on se fie aux règlements de l'OP.

>>74117843
J'avoue que les règlements en temps supplémentaire sont complètement ridicule. Les falcons aurait au moins du avoir un droit de réplique.
>>
>>74117935
This but move it back to the 50
>>
very autistic
>>
File: 1299122420939.jpg (31KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1299122420939.jpg
31KB, 256x256px
>>74117843
>France decides overtime rules
>Everyone retreats
>Tie ballgame
>all smelly cheese eating cowards
>>
>>74117935
less drama and it's almost the same, just with the addition of the winning 2 points conversion

>>74117884
Overtimes suck in soccer (muh "let's not take a goal" and PKs are good but only because you have duels.
In football, it's what ? Vinatieri vs. the wind ?
>>
>>74117993
Or take out field goals
That would speed it along

>>74118023
I don't follow at all
How?
>>
>>74117843

Why try to fix what isn't broken and is the offense the only part of the team that really matters? Nobody wins any games without a defense. They're part of the team too.

If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD on their first possession of OT you deserve to lose. It's as simple as that. They took the cheap ass FG for the win out of the equation so I don't know what more anyone could ask for.
>>
>>74118038
I say no field goals and you have to go for two in regular season. But no restrictions in playoffs
>>
>>74117987
linemen would literally die in the second overtime quarter.
>>
Instead of one-match playoffs, two-match playoffs (home and away) with aggregate scoring, point away rule and decision by field goals in case of draw remaining.
>>
>>74118138
The reason i don't like field goals in college overtime is that they're nearly automatic from the 25 even in college
But since it's been shown extra points aren't automatic in the NFL that's okay.
>>
>>74117987
And what happens if it's still a draw after 15 minutes ? The game will last 5 hours in this case. And we are talking about football, physically it's not exactly the same as baseball

>>74118038
Some coaches who trust their offence (and their defence) would play this 2pts conversion. The coin toss winning team can have this choice. But with the risk of being at "only" +6 while the losing coin toss team drives

>>74118135
Take a game like the Giants@Saints of this season. The two defences were shit, it was almost a 100 points game. But one team has won at the last second. Imagine if it was 48-48 and overtime. In this case, the coin toss literraly chooses the winner.
>>
>two 10 minute halves
>kickoffs start both halves
>no sudden death
>both teams get two timeouts and one additional challenge
>challenges from regulation roll over
>three possession (17+ points) mercy rule
>in the post season, additional 10 minute overtime periods are added until a winner is decided

That's how you fix overtime.
>>
>>74118196
Please stop with soccer rules. Please. There's a reason why an NFL season has only 17 weeks.

And you already have home-and-away games in rugby. In this case, the tie breaker isn't away points but tries (just like touchdowns). And it's still useless as it's harder to get a draw when a team scores 20 points on average.
>>
>>74118244
I don't understand what you're saying

>>74118257
The point of sudden death is to get the overtime over as fast as possible
It's better for the players and the networks that way
>>
Step 1: Execute all booty blasted Pats haters and Failcons fans
Step 2: Repeat step 1
>>
>>74117843
No field goals nor punts, only fourth downs and turnovers on downs.
>>
Field goal kicking contest like in soccer
>>
>>74118152
good it would make the game more dramatic
>>
>>74118196
Go to bed Pedro.
>>
>>74117935
College rules are way too close to the end zone, that shit is easy mode
>>
>>74118350
Don't cut yourself on that edge, I bet you also think we shouldnt be monitoring concussions
>>
>>74118305
Sudden death is a broken system that we're all better off without.
>>
>>74118418
You should teach players how to tackle correctly.
>>
>>74118305
Which thing ?

>>74118257
>NFL
>mercy rule

>>74118346
In soccer, at least the greatest players must have the skills they use in the penalty kicks. There, in football, where are the skills ?
>>
>>74118377
The average NFL team's red zone efficiency is just north of 50%
It wouldn't be as easy as you think
Just get rid of field goals and it wouldn't last too long
>>
1. college rules (except you start on your own 25)
54. college rules
55. field goal-off (linemen have to kick)
9000001. coinflip
>>
>>74118244

I understand but the losing team should have built a fucking defense. It's their own fault that they didn't. You can't make it perfectly equitable. Someone is always going to have to go first and the only thing that was ever really wrong with the NFL system was letting some kicker waltz onto the field and win the game without the other team getting a chance to answer. They fixed that.

The college rules are bullshit bordering never ending. Who wants to sit though that convoluted mess? Your whole team counts not just your offense. If you can't stop a TD drive you lose.

That's entirely fair.
>>
>>74118456
Are you saying too few coaches don't go for 2?
Or one who is extremely confident would go for 2?
>>
>>74118418
what's wrong with it though? Perhaps the better conditioned team should win. Besides they have backups and shit they could put in when people run out of gas.
>>
>>74118463
What about the idea of no kicks/punts and only played fourth downs as a battle for territory with turnovers on downs ?
>>
>>74118305
That concept is terrible to begin with, but I can sorta kinda barely see it making 0.0001% sense in the regular season
There's no excuse for having it determine the championshhip
>>
>>74118503
Defense would too easily be in control
>>
>>74118501
The better conditioned team did win, the falcons defense was absolutely shot, that's why they couldn't stop shit in the 4th quarter
>>
>>74118476
At least, instead of your 55 thing, take a QB, a WR and a CB, you must make a +10 yards pass. Three tries per team, if tied, another try per team.

This is the closest I can imagine to soccer's penalty kicks.
>>
>>74118521
You don't want players conditioned for 60 minutes playing a ton more
Plus networks can't sell ad space for time they don't know will exist or not

Although to be fair college rules would make it a lot better
>>
>>74117843
Overtime rules are PERFECT the way they are and no amount of autistic whining for the retards here is going to change that.

#defensefuckingmatters
>>
>>74118478
If you want something quick, then start each drive from the 50 yards line

>>74118484
I'm saying that if a team has the momentum or if the coach is named Del Rio, then it will go for two, but that 90% of teams will kick the PAT. It depends on how the game is : the more offencive it is, the most probability to see 2pts conversion.
>>
>>74118531
50 yards is still very hard to cover, it's not like in the red zone
>>
>>74118640
That's still a in-game decision that is rarely seen
But even if a team did go for two there's still always a chance to miss it so that wouldn't be a coin flip decision
>>
>>74118677
Still, the number of ot games with field goals is staggering
Some teams would be done with a sack
>>
>>74118634
Yes, defence matters. But it's only 45% of the team (45% offence, 10% special teams). It can't reflect the game as its own. Each side should talk but if it is a blow-out (the 2 points conversion).
>>
>>74118736
If you get sacked in your 25 yards, it's a punt. And in your 45 too. So it doesn't changes a lot. Plus, even if you get sacked, you can make a big play just after, like in every football drive.
>>
>>74118767
given how games have been played out I still don't think it would be very satisfying
>>
>>74118805
teams wouldn't play the same way in that situation
>>
Part of the reason why overtime is this way is because of television. They don't want the game to go on forever and want to move on with other programs.
>>
>>74118967
If you don't put any ad you can have the entire overtime quarter in less than 30 minutes.
>>
>>74119041
Yeah that's gonna go over nicely
>>
>>74118967
you can let the clock lasts with incomplete passes and out of field (but injuries and replays) if you really want it to last few minutes
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.