[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>world coin toss championships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 375
Thread images: 26

Nice """""""""""""sport""""""""""""" you have there amerilards. Why not get all the standing around and commercials that get in the way of the coin toss out and just have that as the entire game!!!!!
>>
better solution?
>>
>>74104753
It's your sport not mine, you fix your retarded rules.
>>
>>74104753
both teams get a crack at attacking/defending
>>
>>74104774
That sounds like a shitty asspull excuse
>>
>lose the final game by 1 goal
>still win the championship

Nice "sport" you have there, Yurop
>>
>>74104748
>george bush couldnt even flip the coin
>>
>>74104784
This. How fucking hard can it be
>>
>REEE WHY SO MANY COMMERCIALS
>WHY DO THEY SCORE 6 POINTS INSTEAD OF 1
>HOW CAN A COIN TOSS DECIDE THE GAME
Watching the NFL with yuros is like watching it with women
>>
>>74104753
the way its done in college
>>
>>74104753
both teams get the ball

the NCAA and WE FCKING CANADA have advanced...why can't you? allows easier rigging?
>>
>>74104748
>WHY DOES WHITE GET TO GO FIRST IN CHESS!
>FIX YOUR GAME!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>74104905
>>74104784
>>74104891
>HW CRIPPLEFLIPS FALKEKS INTO GETTING BALL AT HALF
>BLOW THE SHIP BY 25 PT LEAD AT HALF
>S-SUDDEN DEALTH IS UNFAIR, MUH COINFLIPS

lmfao@ur life senpai
>>
>>74104952
but black has the advantage?
>>
You get the ball if you hold them to a field goal. Give up a touchdown, you lose outright in overtime. It used to be field goal outright won in sudden death. Stopping a touchdown and holding them to a fg is reasonable. Watch more football.
>>
who was the coin toss sponsored by? was it a real coin or a chip with logos on it?

>call it: mcdonalds or ford
>>
>>74104753
Decision by field goals after draw in extra time
>>
>>74104748
WHY CANT YOU ALSO JUST KICK THE BALL AROUND IN CIRCLES FOR 90 MINUTES WITHOUT A RESULT
>>
>>74104753
Play the whole 15 minutes and the team with the most points wins.
>>
>>74104753
6 on 6 smear the queer with both teams getting a possession.
>>
>>74105403

>this Fedex Coin Toss presented by Ford was brought to you by Taco Bell
>>
>>74104753
college rules
>>
The team that wins the OT coin toss wins something like 55% of the time. It's not perfect, but you have to draw the line somewhere or you risk having a game go on forever.
>>
>>74105403

The coin toss is brought to you by The Bank of Israel™
>>
>>74104986
what if the coin flipped in favour of falcons? it would be unfair and retarded the same way
>>
>>74104990
If they get a chance to score a TD why shouldn't the other team also get one?

Also in the modern, defensively crippled NFL expecting a team to hold another isn't reasonable
>>
If the team that kicked off in OT recovered an onside kick and took a fieldgoal do they have to kickoff again?

technically the recieving team never had a possession
>>
>>74105958
Need to get to those lucrative post game ad slots ASAP
>>
>>74105958
it forces both teams to play to win not to play to tie and keep it going.
>>
>>74104753
Penalty shootout, the first kicker to miss a field goal loses it for his team.
>>
>>74105886
because the patriots would still have their defense on the field? the coin toss basically enforces the point, 'if your team's defense sucks, you don't deserve an opportunity to score'. the only reason it seems unfair to you is because you give more value to 'offense wins games by scoring points' and less value to 'defense wins games by denying the other team points'.
>>
>>74106073
The mental gymnastics Americans go through to justify this shit is hilarious. The answer is simply "it's not perfect but we have to end the game somewhere." You could even argue that neither team deserves to win anyway since they let it go to Overtime so fuck the losers.

But no, yanks will defend American shit to the death.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>be watching world goanna fucking competition
>have a thousand bucks on rank underdog Bazza the Banger to ejaculate first
>He gets erect faster and looks more into it for most of the match but by the end of the time limit neither player has ejaculated
>Bazz loses the toss and Jacko gets to stick his in first
>Jacko all revved up sticks the tip in, cums and falls onto the goanna in exhaustion
>confetti drops
>mfw
>>
>>74106073
defense cannot win the game. The team that doesn't get picked in the coinflip bullshit has to defend AND attack/score to win, the team that gets picked only has to attack. It's double the work and idiotic.
>>
>>74104748
>can't defend a 25 point lead
>Can't prevent a touchdown in one drive
>thinks they deserve to win
>>
>>74106027
Who would benefit in keeping it going?

It's a game of switching possession, first to score just seems ridiculous
>>
they should do what the based afl used to do and replay the match next week.

that way both teams are fit again and the result is decided over a full a game
>>
>>74106094
I love aussies.
>>
>>74104784

This. What the fuck does the NFL not get about fairness?
>>
>>74106094
kek
>>
>>74106105
>defence can't win
>defending player intercepts a pass and scores a touch down
>a defending player wins the game

Activated my almonds matey
>>
>>74106148
so you're saying team B can only win if team A fucks up

hmm really gets my neurons firing
>>
>>74106153
I'm just saying it's possible lad. Also getting an intercept doesn't necessarily mean the attacking team fucked up, passes aren't a sure thing.

I think golden point is retarded but saying the defensive side can't win is false
>>
>>74104753
the other team gets the chance to do a touchdown too, if they can't do it its over
>>
>>74106094
>1000 AUD
So, around 20 cents of any real currency?
>>
>>74104748
In alternate universe:
>28-28 in regular time, just after 2 point conversion
>Patriots onside kick, retain possession
>One last drive
>Patriots touchdown with 0:00 seconds left
>Patriots win
>B-BUT ATLANTA DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO RESPOND!!!
>>
>>74106193
>third world country talking shit about money

hmmm really gets the noggin choggin
>>
>>74105958

The best offenses in NFL history have averaged about 3 points per drive. It's not some herculean task to hold a team to a field goal.
>>
>>74104748
Kys, I love watching the Super Bowl. Imagine watching soccer instead unironically
>>
>>74106190
This. I actually thought THIS was the rule because I'd never seen OT end up like this in NFL. What THIS is actually makes logical sense if you're going to have a golden point in a game like gridiron.

It would also make it more interesting with the conversions. Who knows maybe the Pats would've kicked a FG for the conversion and we would have seen an Atlanta TD followed by a stunning and brave two point conversion.
>>
>>74106211
winning back possession from an onside kick is a lot less likely than winning a coin toss
>>
>>74106222
>1 AUD = 0,70 EUR
wew
>>
>>74106087
I'm not defending anything, I have no vested interest in how the NFL conducts its business. I'm just trying to come up with a logical reason to why it might not matter.

I even considered this setup in comparison to soccer, but it breaks down because two teams battling it out while marching down the field, with multiple instances to succeed or fail on every down and every play action, isn't the same as a quick jog down to the other team's goal and waiting with your thumb up your arse till the ref gives you the clear to kick a ball. which speaks to your point, that it can't go on forever since the problem in this game is attrition. if you wanted it to be REALLY fair it would be a best of 3 games or something, but injuries change everything. out of curiosity, how do they handle ties in rugby?

>>74106105
I understand what you're saying, that luck potentially tests one team twice (first defense then offense). but you're forgetting that the OTHER team is defending if they fail to score first, so defense is again given value because they MUST prevent being scored on in order to give their offense a chance to win. you're right, defense technically can't win a game, but this setup gives value to the defense's ability to PREVENT a score, making it just as important as scoring. I guess the problem people have is that it kind of gives defense MORE value than offense (if you can't defend, you don't deserve to demonstrate your offense's ability; whereas if you can't score first, the other team gets a try and the game goes on.)
>>
>>74106169

most teams defer anyway
>>
>>74105541
This so much
>>
>>74106303

whats your profession and earnings there amigo
>>
>>74106309

>I'm just trying to come up with a logical reason to why it might not matter.

Nah mate this is just deluded rambling
>>
>>74106303
>1 JPY = 0.008 EUR

really sparks those neurons
>>
>>74106323
Professional shitposter.
I average about 0,05 cents per post.
>>
>>74106332
if it were grossly unfair people would have clamored for change a long time ago. and by people I mean rich fucks with financial incentive.
>>
>>74106309
>Ties in rugby

Extra time, 2 10 minute halves. Winner is highest score at end of 20mins.

Of still tied, sudden death. Two 5 minute periods. First score wins.

If still tied, kicking competition like in football.
>>
>>74104753
Two short 3 minute periods, different team kicks first both time. Having an extra time period gets rid of the randomness that comes with a coin toss instantly, a coin toss should never a massive factor in the deciding of the championship. If the coin had literally gone the other the Falcons might have won.
>>
>>74106375

>might have won

Uh, they SHOULD have won. The fact that they didn't put up any fucking points for 15+ minutes somehow makes you think they would have put up points in OT? lmao
>>
>>74106366
It is grossly unfair, the other team didn't even get a fucking chance to go on the offensive. Trying to justify the shit ending to what was a great game murican football is just pure delusion, do you feel threatened by the idea that your entire post season ended up being a glorified coin toss that much that you can't see that the current OT is absolutely terrible.
>>
>defense stops them from scoring = game over, team on defense wins
>offense gets a touch down = team on offense automatically wins the game
>hold them to a field goal = game not over, defensive team gets a chance to score now and same rules apply when they switch

Explain what would be wrong with this. This way it rewards good defense by making them automatically win by stopping the opposing team, but also rewards good offense. That way both sides have a win condition no matter which way the coin lands. Is it fair? No, but at least you can't argue that your team never had a chance to win
>>
>>74106391
>The fact that they didn't put up any fucking points for 15+ minutes somehow makes you think they would have put up points in OT? lmao

Use that exact same logic at half time except with the patriots instead of the falcons, you're retarded if you think that end result of a game was ONLY WAY it could have ended. Unless you think that everything in existence is completely determined and we are merely passengers on the train tracks of reality and we can never stray from the future, which is a fucking absurd belief if you do think that.
>>
>>74106433

No lol, I've actually watched enough football to know how it looks like when a team gets complacent then flustered because their lead is diminishing.

The minute Atlanta took their foot off the gas is the moment they lost.
>>
>score 3 points in the first half
>score 25 points in the second half

>LOL OMG THE FALCONS DIDN'T SCORE IN 15MINS WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THEY WOULD HAVE IN OVER TIME YOU'RE RETARDED

amerifat logic everyone
>>
>>74106401
not really. I don't have a problem with it because I think the ability for the defense to do their job SHOULD be given importance. I think it's fair to tell a team, 'if you're shit on defense, fuck off'. the coin toss just decides whose defense gets tested first.
>>
>>74106401

patriots had possession of the ball before OT anyway. At the end of the 4th quarter patriots had it, therefore they get it for the overtime. How is that not fair?
>>
>>74106449
>I've actually watched enough football to know how it looks like when a team gets complacent then flustered because their lead is diminishing.

Wow, you should be like an analyst or something, just need a comfy seat to sit in first like an armchair or something.
It's actually hilarious seeing you guys using mental gymnastics to get your way out of the reality that the red team got COINED.
>>
Can someone explain the coin toss meme?
>>
>>74104748
>world coin toss championships

you got that wrong OP, it's

>"world" coin toss championships
>>
>>74106458
Except that's not how it was decided they used a fucking a coin toss, if the falcons won the same way the pats did I would still think it was a retarded way to end the game. It would actually be wose in fact because the patriots looked like they were the team with the momentum. The point that people are trying to make is that the toss of a coin shouldn't have an influence on the outcome of a game, in a game of skill why are things left up to the randomness of a coin. Get rid of the sudden death and just have an allocated amount of time for OT and this whole problem is solved.
>>
>>74106508
basically this

>if American football ends in a draw there's overtime
>If you win the toss you get a chance to score a touchdown
>If you get a touchdown you win.
>the Pats won the toss against one of the worst defensive teams in the playoffs.
>>
they should have a field goal shoot off to decide like in yuropoor ball
>>
>>74106500

Mental gymnastics? lol, if anything can be attributed to mental gymnastics it's the argument against a coin toss

The Falcons wouldn't need a coin toss if they don't blow a 25 point lead. They wouldn't need a coin toss if they score a single field goal in the second half. They wouldn't need a coin toss if they ran out the clock on their last drive.

Crying about a coin toss after the Falcons literally had a 99.5% chance to win is just being a SORE LOSER. SAD!
>>
>TFW you are Green Bay fan and the patriots winning in OT means they might finally change the OT rules

Feels fucking good. OT has fucked Green Bay so fucking hard. Lose coin toss TD win. It's retarded.

To everyone saying LOL DON'T BLOW A 400 POINT LEAD as reasoning why the OT was fine you are fucking retarded.

Please explain to me how the current OT rules are better then EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING:

Play 15 mins. Most points wins. Tie? Keep going. It's the fucking superb owl. People would love to watch that shit.

Both teams gets a possession. If they both TD it repeats.

Hint: Current OT is actually trash and wrecked the ending of an otherwise really good super bowl
>>
>>74106508
They played for three hours for a tie and the flipped a coin to see who would get the ball. The Patriots win the coin toss and score a touchdown on their possession and the game is over instantly with no chance for the Falcons to even have their own drive.

It's like the golden goal rule in football.
>>
>>74106508
They flip a coin at the start of OT to see who gets to go on the offensive first, OT is also sudden death so the team. Pats won the coin toss and then scored without the falcons even having a chance to also go on the offensive.
>>
File: 1446586363592.gif (983KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1446586363592.gif
983KB, 285x285px
>>74106549
seriously? and those idiots are the same who try to fix """"soccer""""?
>>
>burgers are actually defending this
wow
>>
>>74106556

Why would the other team be awarded possession if they gave up a fucking touchdown on the first drive?
>>
>Certain teams are better offensively then defensively
>If they win the coin toss they get a huge advantage and don't even necessarily have to use their shitty defense

YEA SEEMS REAL BALANCED AND GOOD
>>
File: 1452451243143.jpg (109KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
1452451243143.jpg
109KB, 1024x569px
>>74106549
only americans could come up with something this fucking bad

their sport is already bad enough but this is fucking awful lol
>>
>>74106557
Also keep in mind that at this point both team's defenses are totally shot.
>>
>>74106556
They should use the same rules that college football uses except they should start at the 50. Would be much better.
>>
The Falcons did have an upportunity to score. In the fourth quarter with 5 minutes left.

Or with less than a minue left.

They failed both times. What makes you think they would have succeeded a third? :)
>>
>>74104988
No it doesn't
>>
>problems with the coin toss before Pats won their 5th
>zero

>problems with the coin toss after the pats won their 5th
>everywhere

S A L T
>>
>>74106555
Anything prior to OT is literally irrelevant, if Falcons had won the coin toss and then done exactly what the pats did I would still be saying the exact same things. If my sports entire season came down to a coin toss I would also be upset so don't feel upset that you're jumping through hoops assuring yourself all those people are just wrong and that your little cointoss is perfect the way it is.
>>
Are Americans incapable of being self aware and handling criticism?
>>
>>74106557
Golden goal gives both teams the same chances. It's just sudden death. That would be like giving a penalty for free.
>>
>>74106598
I've had problems with playoff OT rules for the past 4 years where Green Bay has been constantly fucked by them.

It's "all good" when it's not happening to your team.

NEWS FLASH: A shitty rule doesn't become good because your team wins fucking retards
>>
>>74106431
It is easier to defend than attack though that's the only problem.
>>
>>74104891
You're dealing with niggers. Everything is hard.
>>
>>74106572
Well...yeah I mean if you changed the penalty shootout rules to first player to score a goal wins, it would clear up a lot of wasted time. I don't see why it's a best of 5. If the goalkeeper isn't good enough to save the penalty then the team isn't good enough.
>>
>>74106604

ANYTHING PRIOR TO OT DECIDES IF THERE IS AN OT

THE FALCONS DID EVERYTHING TO MAKE SURE THEY WOULDN'T WIN IN REGULATION AND LEFT THEIR FATE TO A COIN TOSS

SAD!
>>
>>74104952

In chess, when you play to break a draw, white goes first but black has more time, so it's compensated. Even a game invented 3000 years ago by poo in loo has better rules.
>>
>>74106589

That's far too easy when NFL kickers can hit from that range.

In the current system, the Falcons had the entire field to stop the Patriots in did fuck all.

In that system, the defense gets ten whole yards to stop a team from scoring.
>>
>>74106595
the patriots scored 0 points in the 1st qtr

3 in the 2nd

they failed both quarters, what makes you think they would have succeeded in the second half :)
>>
File: king.jpg (20KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
king.jpg
20KB, 600x600px
>>74104952
As a serious chess player, I am triggered.
playing white is considered as an advantage.
In tourney, players need to change positions as black and white
>>
>>74106556
>OT has fucked Green Bay so fucking hard. Lose coin toss TD win
all you just said was a team with shit defense lost.

if you can't prevent the other team from scoring, you don't deserve an opportunity to drag the game on.
>>
>>74106598
Wow all these people who don't live in america and only just tuned into watch the super bowl must be massive falcon fans and are also lifelong patriot haters.

I'm just blown away that the BIG GAME was influenced by a coin toss. Sports shouldn't be influenced by a fucking coin toss, it's not like soccer where it doesn't matter which way you attack.
>>
>>74106632

Tom Brady

Thats not a meme answer, that's a genuine one. Tom Brady doesn't get blown out.
>>
>>74106611
maybe green bay should stop blowing leads anon
>>
If your defense can't stop them then you deserve to lose
The patriots deferred a few years ago and won
>>
>hahah guys s-stoppp talking about the c-coin toss now wooo go team!

pathetic.
>>
>DURR ATLANTA SHOULD HAVE HAD A CHANCE!

They did have a chance. They had two quarters worth of chances from adding literally one more point onto the board.
>>
>>74106635
Game starts with a coin toss. And yes that coin toss does matter.
>>
>>74106634
What if both teams have shit defense and both teams can't stop each other from scoring? We should just coin toss and decide who wins the super bowl? Sick fucking logic
>>
>>74106655

LOL

5 RINGS

LOOLLLLLLLLLLLL
>>
>be american
>get coin tossed
>>
>>74106604

It didn't come down to a coin toss. The Patriots Offense scores 2.44 points per drive, the Falcons Defense gives up 2.31. The expected result of winning the coin toss is that the Patriots score 2.37 points on that initial drive. All the Falcons D had to do was be slightly worse than average and their offense would have gotten a chance.
>>
>>74106675
>5 RINGSS

I don't even know what that meeeeeeaaannnsss
>>
>>74106604
>Anything prior to OT is literally irrelevant
Falcons got the ball with a minute left before overtime.

A minute is A LONG TIME when QBs like Rodgers and Brees can engineer scoring drives in 30 seconds. Ryan, a QB that's been trying his hardest to prove he's in the same tier as them, didn't do anything with the time given and played for Overtime.

They have no one to blame that the overtime system worked against them.
>>
>>74106691

Oh, so you're just shitposting.

Bro go live your own life lol, leave our sports to us lmao, cricket season is back up or whatever right lol
>>
>>74106689
>It didn't come down to a coin toss

I'm starting think this is all an elaborate bait now...
>>
>>74106666
>both teams are shit at defense
>game goes on into the next afternoon because they keep equalizing the score
if your entire fucking success rests on a coin toss because your brain dead defense couldn't do shit during regulation, you deserve to be thrown to lady luck's whim to end your sad existence in an active game.
>>
Pretty sure those teams were aware how overtime worked.

Pretty sure Atlanta knew the game was over when they tied.
>>
>>74106723
>Pretty sure Atlanta knew the game was over when they tied.

they knew it was over when they got coined
>>
>>74106720
If both teams defense is shit it will be a shootout until one team's defense finally figures out the problem and forces a stop. The team that figures it out/executes it first deserves to win the game. Much fairer.
>>
>>74106739

Dude they knew it was over when it was 28-20 and didn't score
>>
>>74106705

The Falcons had the ball before the Patriots ran out the clock to head into overtime. If you remove the coin toss itself, its basically just the Falcons punting to the Patriots and them scoring. If they award extra time like in soccer, that's what would have happened anyways.
>>
File: 1462194426733.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1462194426733.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>americans making fun of football for deciding a title on a draw
>completely justify deciding the title on a coin toss

all my neurons are releasing their neurotransmitters
>>
>>74106783
How do you know Matt Ryan would not have scored on his drive if there was extra time?
>>
>>74104905
Yeah, this way everyone gets a chance
Just like college because all winners use skill not luck
>>
>>74106094
underrated
>>
People ITT are ACTUALLY defending this rule
This is just fucking sad to see
>>
>>74106799

You know they don't literally give the championship to whoever wins the toss right, you still have to score
>>
>>74104748
A coin toss means nothing if you can't do anything with the ball
Brady is a genius and used it right
A coin toss means everything when you win
>>
>>74106783
Just get rid of the sudden death and have two segments of OT that lasts for 3 minutes or something. They used to have golden goal in soccer and it was awful and produced a bunch of dumb meme endings in world cups. It was a dumb way to see what I thought was an exciting game end, an I was going for pats any way because because Bill cuck Maher told me Brady was part of the KKK or some shit.
>>
>>74106705
Calling bait isn't a refutation. Not him, but it is as he says. The patriots average points per drive is 2.44 points. They don't average a field goal. Falcons are the best offense in the league and their points per drive is 3.09. Scoring a TD (6 pts) isn't the AVERAGE play for any team in the league and they made it that doing so wins overtime but the field goal which is 3 pts does not (unless both teams already got the ball).
>>
>>74106822
Brady is that GOOD that he won the coin toss first time it was ever used. GOAT.
>>
File: 1483960247648.png (228KB, 421x389px) Image search: [Google]
1483960247648.png
228KB, 421x389px
>>74106799
really.... fires up the old brain pussy
>>
File: 2829404.png (184KB, 343x362px) Image search: [Google]
2829404.png
184KB, 343x362px
>>74106799
really activated all my almonds...
>>
>>74106821
that doesn't mean anything, you have a huge advantage as offense.
>>
>>74106799
at least they still decide the result by playing the actual game rather than a field goal shootoff kek
>>
>>74106829
Actually no, he doesn't chose how he starts
Guarenteed you if Atlanta gets the ball first they lose it quickly
>>
>>74106839

Uh yeah it does mean something, it means you have to actually fucking score.

You know not every team makes it look as easy as the Patriots do, right? Especially a TOUCHDOWN to win the game. A field goal just gives it back to the Falcons.
>>
>>74106849
I agree, coin tossing is technically playing.
>>
>>74106855
And you think for a second the Falcons wouldn't have done the same shit? Ot needs changes, bad.
>>
>>74106809

He didn't score on the previous 5+ drives. Why would he start now?

>>74106823
>Just get rid of the sudden death and have two segments of OT that lasts for 3 minutes or something.
Far too long. Sudden death exists for a reason and the Falcons had multiple chances to stop it from activating.
>>
>>74106853
You're just hating on Tom Brady for no reason, why you gotta be mad?
>>
File: dadface.png (127KB, 342x361px) Image search: [Google]
dadface.png
127KB, 342x361px
This was the first NFL game I tried to get my dad to watch.

He came in and out, copped most of the commercials in the first half but settled in once the Pats were making it interesting and he was understanding the rules better.

I didn't explain the overtime rules. Atlanta killing that drive was the one hope I had at justifying watching this sport 2-3 times a week.

>his face when I sheepishly explain that the Falcons don't get the ball back
>>
>>74106867

Never implied anything of the sort. All I said was winning the coin toss doesn't automatically guarantee a winner.
>>
Whoever wins the toss and gets the ball first has an advantage. If you don't know why it is an advantage you are retarded.

That advantage is decided by coin flip. This is not complicated.
>>
>>74106868
>far too long

God forbid you americans have to watch what is your holy grail of sports for another 30 minutes. Don't you have attention span for that or something?
>>
File: 1486265110904.jpg (313KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1486265110904.jpg
313KB, 1080x1349px
>>74106877
>gets his dad to watch football

awe the yurocuck wants him and his family to be real people
>>
>>74106839

see

>>74106689

There is no huge advantage for offense. On average almost every NFL team scores between 1 and 3 points per drive. All Atlanta's defense had to do was be average.
>>
File: 000284748.jpg (75KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
000284748.jpg
75KB, 500x498px
>>74106877
>First time my friend had ever watched NFL
>Pats touchdown in OT
>"why are they all celebrating don't the falcons get to go on the attack now?"
>"no"

He realised I'd made him watch 4 hour long elaborate coin and got angry and left.
>>
>>74106747
>until one team's defense finally figures out the problem and forces a stop
they had all of regulation to do this. I see the coin toss as a veiled threat to inefficient teams. "figure this shit out within the allotted time, or you risk having your defense tested with dire consequences".

one major benefit to this harsh ultimatum is health. it's fairer to teams in the long run because it prevents injuries from accumulating in significant overtime.
>>
You guys can petition against the coin toss all you want.

Fact remains, Atlanta blew a 25 point lead. And now Tom Brady has 5 rings.

don't even bother replying.
>>
>>74106849
>overtime doesn't exist in football

>>>74106855
>it means you have to actually fucking score
Yeah and you give possession to only one team. Why not give both teams a chance to score, what's so hard about that? Why not just test both a team's offense and defense.
>>
>>74106892
>God forbid you americans have to watch what is your holy grail of sports for another 30 minutes.
Players were getting battered and hurt left and right in the fourth. ATL's center was playing with a fractured leg and wasn't the only one banged up.

Why should the game drag on when one team was unable to do something as simple has run 3 times and kick a FG?
>>
File: 7383988932.jpg (26KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
7383988932.jpg
26KB, 1024x576px
>>74106941
pottery
>>
>>74106913
Wow, your friend sounds like a faggot kek

Does he pout and storm off when mommy doesn't give him lunch money either?
>>
Change to overtime rules:
1. ONLY touchdowns count.
2. Equal number of drives for each team.
>>
>>74106950
>Players were getting battered and hurt left and right in the fourth.

good that is what I expect from a contact sport
>>
>>74106960
He was reluctant to be there in the first place but I promised it would be good, and i wanted an excuse to drink beers at 10 am on a monday
>>
>>74106976
So not only is your friend a faggot but he's also a fucking loser who drinks on a monday morning kek

You guys are jobless neets? What a shit life kek
>>
>>74106087
"Defense wins championships" has been around since before Superbowl I. Get fucked, Achmed.
>>
>>74106941
you want to fight me you fucking faggot
>>
>>74106128
They already played a full game
>>
File: 1478793098663.png (356KB, 473x455px) Image search: [Google]
1478793098663.png
356KB, 473x455px
>mfw i watched a 4h30 long coin toss sponsored by Pepsi Zero Sugar™
>>
>>74106991
>civil engineer
>working 4 months on 1 and a half off in the timor sea and the south east asian ocean
>neet

kk m8
>I
>>
>>74107011
Ya bro, 200k starting, 9 inch dick, duck 10/10s every night. I know the story, dude. I'm sure it's all true.
>>
>>74107026
Meanwhile, what do YOU do for a living?
>>
>>74106961

Now the team who gets the ball second has an advantage because they know exactly how many points they need to win/tie. The only fair solution is multiball. Both offenses get it at the 25 yard line of opposite ends of the field, first one to score wins. Split screen for the greatest viewing experience since God invented the Redzone channel.

America will take what Europe thought was a joke and make it amazing.
>>
>>74106629
>I have no fucking clue what I am talking about: the post

In chess the tiebreaker is a game where White gets more time but Black gets draw odds
>>
>>74107026
it's actually 68k seeing it's my first year
>>
>>74107035
Actually, picking up on that: What if they just do SIMULTANEOUS drives, i.e. team A gets to go, then team B gets to go. Whoever scores a TD first wins, if one team decides to go for a FG the other gets to try for the TD after that.

fake multiball
>>
>>74107034
I spout memes irl and shitpost to trigger yuropoors.
>>
>>74107058
:-)
>>
>It's not fair, the falcons didn't get a chance.
They had 30 entire minutes to defend a 25-point lead at past halftime AND 5 drives prior to score a (one) point. They did not and they lost. That's it.
>>
File: 2994900.png (134KB, 264x334px) Image search: [Google]
2994900.png
134KB, 264x334px
>>74107075
>>
Someone explain the arguments in this thread to me, I didn't watch.
>>
Tbh it should be 2 overtime periods first, with each side starting once. At least that has a chance of staving off bullshit like this.

>>74106374
>Two 5 minute periods.
I thought it was a single 10 minute period.

>>74106901
>yurocuck
American education.

>>74107037
Isn't armageddon chess the final tiebreaker, used only after multiple tiebreakers with decreasing time limits have been exhausted?

And I think there are 2 ways to do that. One of them having both sides bid their time allotted for the right to play Black and the one who wins the bid gets to play Black with his time reduced.
>>
they had ample chance to stop them or limit them to a field goal but they were too warn out by what happened in regulation to stop them. the better team won.

>>74104753
>tie

>>74106064
that is fucking retarded. i hope this is an ironic post.
>>
>>74107099
People are getting mad that a team that let go of a 25-point lead with 23 minutes of gametime didn't get a chance of winning.
>>
>>74107133
ignore the germans
>>
>>74107138
where does the coin meme part come into it though?
>>
>>74107133
Why is it retarded, friend?
>>
>Play Overtime
>No Sudden death
>End of 15 minutes team with the highest score wins
>If tied, play continues and SD triggers so there is no retarded coin toss to decide the game
>Or field goal kick out till one team misses, +5 yard on each successful kick

How hard is that?
>>
>>74107158
because its worst than penalties in soccer, and that has it's own problems
>>
File: 1478374903326.png (346KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1478374903326.png
346KB, 449x401px
>>74107103
>that flag

oh it thinks its people. cute!
>>
>>74107156
On OT you do another coin flip to determine who gets possession. If you get a FG the other team gets the ball, if you get a TD you win. Pats got a TD and every retard who doesn't watch football didn't think it was "fair".
>>
>>74107163
>Have 25-point lead with 23:31 left.
>Don't let the other team catch up while you have the best offense in football.

How hard is that?
>>
>>74104784
They do. The Falcons had a chance to stop them and they failed. All they had to do was prevent a td on one drive and that's not THAT hard to do. Even the Falcons who have had the highest probability of scoring on a drive only had 58 tds in 175 drives. The Patriots only had 51 tds in 181 drives. The odds were against the Patriots scoring. The Falcons just fucked up
>>
>>74107216
How likely is it to get a touchdown when you are on the offensive, It's not like rugby where interceptions happen all the time is it?
>>
>>74107232
Eh. Pats were the better team. They 100% deserved to win but the overtime rule is still stupid. If Atlanta won the coin toss and then won the game, I would be pissed to. I am talking about the rules of overtime in a vacuum.
>>
>>74107257
OT rules wouldn't help a team that didn't put up any points in their last 5 drives and let brady break every superbowl record that mattered.
>>
>>74107257
fuck off shitskin, american matters do not concern you.
>>
>>74107273

>2nd half wouldn't help a team that got outscored by 25 points

Falcons only have themselves to blame for it going to overtime, but that doesn't mean they were destined to lose regardless of the coin flip.
>>
>>74107273
after browsing down this thread, It seems to me what people are arguing isn't because they think it was unfair. But that because they think an element of randomness, luck or whatever you want to call it shouldn't be in a game of football, it's not result that they are annoyed/triggered about but about how the result was reached. just what ive gathered from reading.
>>
>>74107235
dont bring stats into this, it ruins the narrative
>>
>>74107321

this

>foreign countries constantly give US shit for trying to govern the world
>meanwhile everyone tries to tell us how to play our own sport
>>
>>74107133
Penalties may be bullshit, but it's certainly much fairer than what we have here.

Though since not everyone gets to train kicking, have just a few players attempt it.

>>74107163
Need 2 overtime periods for it to be fair I think.
>>
>>74107235
No they don't, the patriots scored once and the falcons lost without their offense hitting the field.
>>
File: 02f.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
02f.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
>>74107340
then stop calling my indian paddle ball game dumb!
>>
>>74106094
classic aussie irreverence :)
>>
>>74107232
>>74107235
Impossible to argue with you fags. If Falcons would have gotten the flip and then barely won the game
>PATRIOTS SHOULDNT HAVE PLAYED SO BAD FIRST 2 QTS TOTALLY FAIR RULE THEY DESERVE IT

Do you guys even think with your brains lol literally subhuman brainlets
>>
>>74107340
>Americans keep making "how do we fix soccer" threads
>other countries can't make "how do we fix American sports" posts
Okay mate
>>
>>74107369
Thats the game. They had 5 chances to prevent it from being tied and they didn't.
>>
>>74107369
No shit- because it was a touchdown. If it would have been a field goal, the falcons offense would have had a chance to reply. The overtime system is actually pretty nice in the NFL.
>>
>>74104753

Keep playing 15 minute quarters till one team outscores the other in the time allotted
>>
>>74107404
The difference is there's nothing wrong with American sports
>>
>>74107428
Clearly this coin toss debacle shows otherwise for the NFL.
>>
>>74104748
>people shit on divegrass because "shootouts are basically a coin toss"
>literal coin toss
>"It's their fault for allowing a tie, don't worry about it."
>>
>>74107424
doesn't even need to be 15 minutes, could be like 8 or something.
>>
>>74107438
>Debacle
It isn't. Nobody who actually watches foot ball doubts that the falcons completely threw that game and New England came from behind fair and square.
>>
>>74107369
That's the Falcons fault. All they had to do was prevent a TD and they would have had a chance for their offense to take the field. As I pointed out, the Patriots only scored on a td on 25-30% of their drives for 2016. If you throw fg's in there they are at about 43%. The odds were in the Falcons favor that the Patriots come away from that final drive with nothing. It took a major collapse in defense for Brady to march down the field that quickly and score a TD.
>>
>>74107399
But the falcons didn't score any points in their last 5 drives, despite being the best scoring team in the NFL.
>>
>>74107340
NFL is a very good reason we do not want the US governing our country.
Half of the guys are fat, the game is an hour long but stretches out to 3-4 hours filled with commercials, concussions are frequent, your "players" are like chess pieces and when it comes to breaking a deadlock in a championship game you decide to flip a coin.
>>
Good thread
>>
>>74107502
bit arsh m8
>>
>>74107502
But it isn't decided on a coin flip. You can always, oh I dunno, defend against the team from scoring a TD. Falcons fell apart and played like shit the last quarter, and the Patriots took advantage of the opposing team not playing well, like they always do, and destroyed them.
>>
>>74107399
You can't argue it because it's the rule you fucking idiot. Both teams knew this was the rule way before the game even started. It's like MMA or boxing. You don't want to leave the outcome to the decision of judges? Knock the motherfucker out before the fight ends. You don't want a coin toss to potentially decide the winner of a game? Win the fucking game before overtime. In the Falcons case don't give up 25 unanswered points. Maybe stop a 2-point conversion.
>>
come back to find that this thread took off and i was thinking of shitposting a very similar thread way before this one.

tfw
>>
People are seriously butthurt about the fucking coin toss- that's the funniest thing I've ever seen. Falcons allowed 25 unanswered points in the last 17 minutes of the game and they're gonna bitch about a fucking coin toss. This is comparable to election night kek
>>
>>74107478
Fair and square yes, but a coin toss for something so important is no less retarded.
>>
>>74107163
nah
>>
>>74107610
yes all these yuropeans and koalas are diehard falcon fans! go team!
>>
File: 1486179126458.jpg (157KB, 1098x1179px) Image search: [Google]
1486179126458.jpg
157KB, 1098x1179px
>>74104748
Why is Football the only sport that has terrible ot rules?

Literally every other sport both teams get a chance at scoring in OT, now Brady has another controversy on his hands. Jesus Christ,
>>
>>74107637
nah, he only has more butthurt people.
>>
>>74107537
This. These morons are making it sound like scoring a TD on any given drive is easy. Even the Patriots, the SB champions, only score a TD on like 30% of their drives. The Patriots couldn't even score a field goal until 2 seconds were left in the half and their first td was at the end of the 3rd quarter. How many drives did the Pats come up with absolutely nothing?
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 270x187px
>Down 28-3
>Against seemingly insurmountable odds
>Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. digs deep within himself to find the will to win
>His team rallies around him
>They fight
>They win

The story of the good guys winning like Trump did. Truly a blessed day to be American, I am jealous.
>>
>>74107610
>a retarded coin flip to decide the winner was justified because a team was winning but lost that lead
>>
>>74106105
Any defensive score in OT ends the game.
>>
>>74107499
They couldn't have scored anyway (no way to be sure), so a coin toss is totally fair? Oh i am laffin

>>74107553
>You can't argue it because it's the rule you fucking idiot. Both teams knew this was the rule way before the game even started.

I'm complaining to get a rule changed you fucking turbofaggot. I'm not trying to strip Patriots of their win. I can definitely complain about a rule to have it changed for future matches.
>>
>>74107623
Much, much less retarded that possible away that lead, not stopping 2 2-point conversions AND not scoring anything on your last 5 drives.

Randomness can suck, but it did not determine that game. The more experienced team rallying under the best QB in history and beating a less experienced, exhausted and panicking opponent did.
>>
>>74107660
"Hawthorn like" - Bruce Mcavaney
>>
>>74107610
Americans keep making this argument, but it ignores that the patriots went 28-3 down and then barely scraped back a TIE. The patriots were just as undeserving.
>>
>>74104896

At least with women you stand a chance of getting laid. With yuros you just get BO.
>>
>>74107674
I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that the best scoring team in the NFL had 5 chances to get even a fg to prevent the tie, but didn't, which makes saying that they didn't have a chance fucking stupid. Also, the defense maybe could've stopped a fucking drive in the fourth quarter, much less 2 2-point conversions.

>B-b-but it's not fair!!!
That is you right now.
>>
>>74107369

A 4 quarter game could end with one team having 12 offensive possessions and the other having 11. That's just as bad as one team getting 1 possession and the other 0 and probably happens more often than overtime and people don't even care because it's an invisible possession. Don't make a fuss over something just because it happened to slightly influence this one game when there are so many other rules that have a bigger impact on outcomes.
>>
eh everyones over reacting a bit, i think its fairer than what some of you think. To me choosing to receive first presents its own set of risks, mainly the fact that if you dont score anything the other team only has to get a field goal to win and odds are against you scoring a TD in that one drive
>>
>>74107666
this

Why would you have a game of nobody knows how much time if you only give relevance to the last 17 minutes?
>>
>>74107738

Hall of Fame coaches don't always know what's the better option either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5DafiXNkCA
>>
>>74105567
Best post itt
>>
File: 1481358555151.png (455KB, 750x345px) Image search: [Google]
1481358555151.png
455KB, 750x345px
>>
>Falcons literally had the lead 98% of the game
>WAHHHH THEY DIDNT GET A CHANCE TO SCORE
>>
>>74107674
There's literally no reason to change it though considering the fact that if the Falcons or whoever has to kick after the coin toss has a competent defense they may have the advantage.

>Falcons lose coin toss
>Patriots want to recieve
>Patriots start from their own 20-25
>Falcons defense decides NOT to play like shit and force a 3 and out
>Patriots have to punt
>Falcons receive ball with excellent field position and only need a Field Goal to win.

The only reasons why the coin toss made the game look bad was because the Falcons defense played like shit and Brady is the GOAT. (This is coming from a Giants fan) You think that if it was Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, or just about any other QB in the NFL that isn't named Tom Brady they would have scored so easily? If your team has such a shitty defense that you can't rely on them to prevent 1 touchdown drive in OT than maybe they shouldn't have gave up 25 unanswered points late in the game including back to back 2 point conversions.
>>
>>74107666
It didn't decide the winner it decided who played offense first.

Pats won the toss and played offense first. Look back in the thread and you will see that something like 1/3 offensive drives this season resulted in a touchdown, and that was the best mark in the league.

Literally all the Failcons needed to do was hold them to a field goal and they would have had a chance to win. They couldn't so they lost. The better team won. Get over it.
>>
>>74107502
>Half of the guys are fat
They aren't fat, they are built like the guys in the strongmen competitions. Some of their stomachs are huge but its surrounded by muscle and their conditioning is top notch.
>>
>>74106094

"Ejaculated" sounds so funny in an Aussie accent

E-jick-u-loited
>>
If you are mad about the current overtime rules, then you are a fool. There have been plenty of good explanations in this thread as to why the rules are sound. American football is about defense and offense, not just offense. Both should be tested. The result of the coin flip should give neither and advantage or disadvantage to either team, provided their offense or defense doesn't shit the bed (like the falcons defense did for the entire 4th quarter and overtime).
>>
>>74106112
>be england
>ship all your criminals to a desert-continent
>their decedents tell it like it is, and are beloved by all.
>>
File: 1474930479002.jpg (115KB, 1196x822px) Image search: [Google]
1474930479002.jpg
115KB, 1196x822px
>The current state of America
>>
>>74107158
>>74107364
winning off a pre set up field goal kick would have nothing to do with which team is fundamentally better. having to drive down the field and score a touchdown has everything to do with which team is fundamentally better and the patriots had scored 31 unanswered points anyway. as if shatlanta weren't completely done in the first place.
>>
If you started the OT from the 10 yard line instead of the 20 it would pretty much eliminate the positive effects of receiving the ball first. That goes to show how little it really matters, but if you wanted a simple solution, that would be my suggestion.
>>
>>74108034
so you're suggesting to eliminate the kickoff and just place them on the 10 yard line?

I don't understand why you faggots think there needs to be special game play rules put in place just because regulation ends in a tie. Instead of taking a knee on the kickoff he could have ran it out and either been tackled short of the 25, gotten further than the 25, fumbled, or even scored a TD. Take that away and it's just stupid for no reason.

If atlanta's kicker was as good as new england's he could have kicked the ball right to the 1 yard line like Gostkowski did twice
>>
>>74107918
we still make the 'jack' sound, not the 'jick'. South Africans and New Zealanders make the 'Jick' sound.
>>
>>74105958

Despite people thinking the coin toss is some kind of auto-loss we had 2 games just this season end in ties. Meaning neither team scored a TD for 15 minutes and made only 1 FG each.

And it was awful to watch.

Also all this stupid fucking logic
>Falcons couldn't stop Brady for the last 15 minutes of the game + overtime because he had figured out their schemes and they were gassed
>Patriots defense completely dominated the Falcons' best offense in the NFL for the entire second half.
>REEEEEE IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! IF THEY HAD ONE MORE CHANCE THEY DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE TIED IT AND THEN STOPPED THE PATRIOTS AND THEN SCORED AGAIN!!!! I JUST KNOW IT!!!!!! REEEEEEE
>>
Golden goal works for soccer where possession changes constantly. I don't think it works in the NFL desu familia. Glad the Pats won though.
>>
>>74107369
good luck explaining to these knuckle draggers
>>
>>74104753

college football OT rules are by far superior.
>>
>>74104891

College football, you start at the 35 and alternate, if it goes back and forth more than 3 times and tied you must go for 2
>>
>>74104748
Receiving teams has won JUST BARELY more than 50% of all NFL overtime games since 2012 when rule started - 50.7%.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/112875/numbers-dont-back-up-patriots-ot-strategy

On the other hand the team that shoots first in a Penalty Shootout wins 60% of time.

http://www.soccermetrics.net/paper-discussions/penalty-kick-shootout-paper-apesteguia-palacios-huerta

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT.
>>
File: MMA World Champions.png (45KB, 571x849px) Image search: [Google]
MMA World Champions.png
45KB, 571x849px
What's the rest of the world's excuse for sucking ass at FIGHTING?!
>>
>>74108197
>74108282

People don't know the current state of affairs before they complain about them.

Everyone just assumes if you get the ball first you win.
>>
>>74108299
>MMA
Literally what?
>>
>>74108318
>>74108197
>>74108282

Fucked up the arrows...
>>
>>74108299
>american champions in an american promotional championship
wow really
>>
>>74107666
Nobody told them to lose that fuckhuge lead, Satan.
>>
>>74107855
>and they would have had a chance to win

That's the problem though. They need to work even for a chance to maybe get the win. Whereas the Pats needed 1 succesful play to immediately decide the game, the Falcons needed to succesfully defend to even be allowed a chance at going for a win. It would be much fairer if afterwards the Falcons got their chance at attacking as well.
>>
>>74108463
>Whereas the Pats needed 1 succesful play to immediately decide the game

Why the fuck are there still people who nothing about football talking about football?
>>
>>74108484
1 TD wins the game without a chance for the opponent to tie it again. Am I wrong?
>>
>>74108463
>pats need to be successful on offense for a chance to immediately end the game
>falcons need to be successful on defense for a chance to win the game themselves

wow. fucking coin decided this game!
>>
>>74108544
Read my post above...

33/65 receiving teams have won games that didn't end in tie since new rule in 2012.

It's a coin flip no matter who takes or receives the kick.

Know something before commenting.
>>
Falcons had 23 minutes worth of chances to score. Instead Marty Meltdown took like 10 sacks.
>>
I agree, the overtime rules of the NFL are completely retarded.They should just play another full quarter for overtime, at least for playoff games.
>>
>>74108542
you're not, but as was stated earlier in the thread, the falcons were about 33% in scoring a TD on a drive this season, and that was the best in the league.

The odds were not in new england's favor. under old overtime rules a field goal ended the game and the coin toss meant a whole lot more. not so much anymore.
>>
>>74108463
33/65

That's the results since new rule in 2012. Receiving team has won 50.7% of the time.

Getting a stop in football happens more than anything. Upon getting a stop you only need a field goal. It evens out.
>>
>>74108570
The Falcons were doomed though because
1. Their defense is garbo (muh garbage time)
2. They were absolutely exhausted. Pats ran around 90 plays, and defense takes more energy than offense.
>>
>>74108587
Overtime rules have led to a 33/65 winning result for receiving team since 2012 in not ties.

About as close as you can get.
>>
>>74106573
>>74106584
>>74106605
Did you idiots not see the others saying it should be the college overtime rules where it has to be the best 2 out of 3 attempts at a TD? Try reading the thread.
>>
>>74108612
Yes, circumstantially the Falcons were doomed as they were gassed and the Pats were unstoppable.

But as an OT system that is fair in the long run. It works better than anything.

As I pointed out to the EUROFAG, in soccer, the team that kicks first wins 60% of the time and that LOOKS even.

Appearances are deceiving, that's why stats and "moneyball" have taken over sports.
>>
what a stupid thread
Atlanta wouldn't have won the game if they had won the toss, they were finished
>>
>>74107424
Amerifat """"athletes"""" would die from exhaustion.
>>
>>74108702
This is correct. Their defense was exhausted by the third quarter and couldn't stop the Patriots.
>>
>>74108725
Still is fine if Matt Ryan doesn't fumble trying to air one out up 16. Fucking idiot. Too many nattys.
>>
>>74108703
They wouldn't die from flopping.
>>
File: 1.jpg (59KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
59KB, 500x625px
>commercials
>10 sec of nigger brawling
>commercials
>trailers
>halftime show
>commercials
>coin toss
>commercials

Nice sport you got there freedom famalams
>>
>>74108763
Don't you have some Serbian schoolchildren to bayonet right now, Anton?
>>
nothings perfect m8
>>
>>74108763
>implying the 84 lumber commercials weren't better than the game itself
>>
So the coin toss at the start of the game was also unfair?
>>
>make wisecrack about Gravity Falls during the T-Mobile ad
>my brother is like "Huh wut?"

I've been on this shitty website far too much desu.
>>
>>74104748
>up by 25 points
>b-but a coin toss!

seriously what the fuck are you smoking? falcons won the first coin toss, patriots won the overtime toss.
>>
>>74108859
yes because bush did a horrible job at flipping the coin
>>
Now I don't know how divegrass handles overtime, but it can't be worse or more unfair than the NFL.
>>
>>74108542
It was several successful plays, not one successful play. How many 10 yard gains do you have to get to get a touch down from your own 25? 7 and a half. And the Falcons could have pinned them down and make them get more but they chose the touchback to avoid a return.

You don't understand what you are seeing but you do understand a coin flip so you focus on how it is unfair when factually it's 50.7% of the time the receiving team wins. The coin toss matters yes, but not as significant as you think it does. You sure as hell don't win because you won the coin toss because you have to drive down the field into the end zone.

The coin toss at the start of the game decides who gets the ball first. Falcons deferred to get the ball first in the 2nd half, Pats didn't score a touch down at the start of the game when they got the ball first. When the Falcons got the ball first in the 2nd half, they didn't score a touchdown on the first drive. It's several successful plays to get a TD generally, and it's not as easy as Tom Brady made it seem at the end of the game.
>>
I think college does it better
>>
>>74108820
Fuck me I almost forgot

Brb
>>
>>74108935
Currently the overtime rules are retarded IMO because it's just an extra 30 mins

There used to be a "first team to score wins" system which I loved but it got scrapped because it was supposedly too random
>>
>>74109281
No it got scrapped because it made teams way too defensive. Not conceding became far more important than scoring so loads of games went to penalties.
>>
>>74109281
Golden goal was scrapped because matches became even more defensive.
>>
>>74109334
>>74109352
I don't see that at all. Especially the stronger team will want to push for a GG because they don't want the penalties which equalize chances. Current overtime is horrible, both teams are tired and they don't want to push for a goal. You can safely take a rest for 30 mins and return for the penalties
>>
>>74104753
At any time during OT, if both teams have had the same number of possessions but have a different score, the game ends.
>>
>>74109412
With no time limit.
>>
>>74109387
I'm telling you the reason they got rid of it mate, statistically, it led to more defensive play and penalty shootouts, however you feel about it.
>>
>>74104753
multiball
>>
>>74104753
Pretty much every other sport has a standard sudden death tie-breaker. Football has penalty shoot-outs with 5 shots each and sudden death if they score the same amount within those 5 shots. Tennis has a first-to-7 set and since the server has the advantage, they actually have to break their opponent at least once. It makes absolutely no sense to only give one team the chance to attack.
>>
>>74109387
It's a lot easier to defend than it is to score a goal. All the weaker team has to do is park the bus and hit the other team on the counter.
>>
File: IMG_0846.png (446KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0846.png
446KB, 610x343px
>>74106094
>>
>>74107637
It's only a controversy to people who don't watch Football, the rules are fine. Sorry the Falcon's didn't win, protecting a 25 point lead is so hard.
>>
>>74106508
Imagine it's the wc final and after 120 minutes they're going to penalties.
Except instead of 5 guaranteed shots and then one round at a time the team that makes the first penalty shot wins
Now they flip a coin to see who gets to shoot first, pats win the coin toss and make their first penalty and the game is instantly over
>>
If the coin toss went the other way and Atlanta won, this thread wouldn't be up. Rather, there would be a thread about how Atlanta completely BTFO Brady, regardless of the coin toss.
>>
>>74109975
I wouldn't really call it a controversy, but you can't deny that the current rules are fucking stupid. Not all ties are the result of one team blowing a huge lead.
>>
>>74105541
I like this
>>
>>74109771
comparing it to sports that are completely different is retarded, its alot easier kicking a penalty in soccer then it is to score a touchdown in a drive from your 25 yard line, and really soccer should never be used in an argument about fair sports when most big leagues have no salary caps and 1 team can spend 60 million on a single player and another team has to spend that for their whole team.
i think the OT rules are pretty fair like i said earlier in the thread theres more risk taking the ball first because if you dont score which is more likely the other team can instantly win with a field goal
>>
>>74110007
To be honest I didn't even watch the game, it just seemed like an easy b8 so I probably would have made it lad
>>
>>74104748
It was good, if the falcons were good they could've stopped the advance and then get a chance to score, or even make an interception and win the game. What i didn't like is that the first one to score a tochdown wins.
>>
>>74106557
>American football overtime is like the golden goal rule in football
Except it's not
>>
>>74104753
MULTIBALL
>>
I'm so glad they removed the golden goal shit from real football.

Sudden death is absolutely retarded. Especially when a coin flip essentially decides the game.
>>
>An entire thread of people complaining about the mechanics of a sport they don't follow
>>
Imagine pats not getting a TD after the coin flip. Now falcons have the ball and all they have to do is get it into field goal range. Then everyone would be bitching how the game is rigged in favor of whoever defends first.
>>
>>74111304
Kek. Good one hue.
>>
Was sudden death ever a thing in soccer?
Then it would be the same. A coin toss decides who starts the game. So if the defense sucks as bad as the falcon's D, they can allow a goal on the first offensive play and lose the game.
>>
>>74104748
Penalty kicks
>>
>>74106598
>problems with the coin toss before Pats won thier 5th
Projecting much? I had a problem with these OT rules since I realized that they existed.
>>
>>74106634
But what if the OTHER team can't prevent the other from scoring either? Very cyclical logic that ends up boiling down to "coin toss lol"
>>
File: gg.jpg (47KB, 535x346px) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
47KB, 535x346px
>>74113742
>Was sudden death ever a thing in soccer?
From 1993-2002 ("Golden Goal") and 2002-2004 ("Silver Goal" - which wasn't a real sudden death).
Most people consider it to be one of the bigger failures the FIFA made... at least when it comes to rules.
>>
>>74107886
>fat people logic
>>
>>74114078
it is verifiable by facts, dumb ass.
look up their 40 yard dash times.
>>
>>74114121
still fat tho :^)
>>
>>74107492
>>74107235
by your logic the falcons would have automatically won if the patriots hadnt scored on their drive. as you already pointed out, the chance of a team scoring a td/fg is less than 50%, so the chances of the falcons winning on their first drive (if they even get to come onto the field) is less than 30%.

Does your shitty education system really not include simple statistics?
>>
>>74114315
where did he say this, retard?
what he said simply means that falcons had a 70% chance to get a 30% chance to win.
and if they don't score a td, then it will be another 30% chance for pats. just multiply the probabilities as you continue to go back and fortht and you will get closer to the equal chance. even with only 2 iterations it is 30% vs 21%. oh so fucking unfair. imbecile.
>>
>>74105541
This is the one desu
>>
Win rate is literally split 50/50 between going first and going second. If it's already perfectly fair, why change it?
>>
>>74115214
because something i didn't like just happened
>>
>>74104748
Still better OT rules than PKs
>>
>>74104748
Handegg is fucking gash, the whole world except Amerifatland already knew this, why are we even discussing it?
>>
>>74115251
PKs don't give an advantage to either side based on a completely random event. You won't get an argument out of me about penalties, we absolutely should be deciding football matches in a better way than fucking penalties, but at least it's not biased from the outset.
>>
>>74115307
yeah the dreaded 50-50 bias
>>
>>74115324
The coin flip doesn't give any advantage in the penalty shootout. The winner can choose which end they kick at or which team kicks first, but they still have to kick at the same end and they still have to take the same number of penalties so it's all mentality. The handegg coin flip literally decides who gets a huge advantage.
>>
>>74114668
what he said simply means that falcons had a 70% chance to get a 30% chance to win.

yes, and how exactly is this fair?
>>
>falcons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JwYL2HfS7s
>>
>>74115353
>huge advantage
coin toss winner wins 52% of the time
>>
>>74107235
>>74104986
No. You cannot defend the mentality of an overtime that is essentially an entirely new game while simultaneously using what transpired during regulation as a total non-argument while talking about a specific rule in OT.
>>
File: overtime.png (30KB, 935x1031px) Image search: [Google]
overtime.png
30KB, 935x1031px
>>74114668
ok i just ran some monte carlo simulation, in case you wonder if there is a 30% chance to score a td, the odds were 59% pats 41% falcons.
not exactly 50-50, but pretty close, huh?
check the source code to see if i fucked up.
>>
>>74104753
penalty kicks
>>
>>74115353
Assuming you're talking about soccer penalty shootouts, going first gives you a 60/40 advantage.

>Coinball
>>
>>74115632
which would be exactly the same as what we discuss here.

btw, any stats about what's the probability to score on a penalty kick?
>>
>>74115370
well i have no idea how to write an analytical expression for N runs i.e. no team scores a td and they keep taking chances. so i just ran a brute force simulation: >>74115474
so after a large number of simulations it comes up to 59%-41% in favor of the 1st team. which is exactly the same ratio (1.5:1) of the odds that we got after the first run (pats 30% vs falcons 30% of 70% which is 21%).
also keep in mind that if the opponents are closely matched, the probability to score a td on a given run will be much less than 30% so the odds would come even closer to equal.
>>
>The raw numbers since 2012 appear to support the advantage for the receiving team, although the sample size isn’t big enough yet to be certain. Receiving teams have won 33 of the 65 overtime games that did not result in a tie, a 50.7 percent rate.

dat .7%
>>
>>74104784

So much this.

The NFL rule for overtime is beyond retarded.

I understand they do it for the sake of time, but the rule should be different in the playoffs when it's win or go home.
>>
>>74108542
Falcons could have had a pick six, that's a successful play to win the game on the defensive side of the ball. Hell, belichick opted to go defense on a windy day so he could have the side he wanted one time
>>
>>74106094

+1,000pts Straya
>>
>>74108612
>The falcons defense was shit so it's only fair their offense be given a possession no matter what

Some grade A logic right there
>>
>>74106094
This is why Aussies are still GOAT shitposters, not Canadians
>>
>>74106064
Penalty shootouts are for gays.
>>
Penalty kicks are far worse than a coin toss.

Penalties are basically automatic. You can only miss due to pure luck. Any 15+ year old could score 70%+ of penalties against a world class goalkeeper.

Football is a game of field position. It pits the offense against the defense. All the defense has to do is stop the offense and they'll get great field position. If your defense can make an offense go 3 and out in OT, you're only about 10-15 yards away from FG position for the easy win.
>>
>>74116033
I'd wager you couldn't kick a football properly let alone put one past a pro goalie.

But I'm assuming you're over 15 which may be a mistake, let me know.
>>
>>74116070
My bad, I meant to say a 15+ y/o footballer.
>>
Penalties make a team sport into an individual sport, which is why penalties are stupid and awful.
>>
>>74105541
This
>>
>>74115382
failcoins
>>
>Muh nigger state didn't win!
>COIN-FLIP BALL!!!
>No one will ever consider that I'm either posting from a trip to England or using some trick to fake my location... or that I'm a Britcuck who loves niggers!
>>
>>74114668
Stop talking you're embarassing yourself you fucking asshole
>>
>>74104753
Do that step that comes right before Sudden Death. What would they have sacrificed pushing everything forward an hour, reruns of the worlds shittiest shows at the end of their programming night, having to refund part of an infomercial block that someone got at the cheapest hour?
>>
>>74117073
>muh NIGGERS

Get a grip Cletus, it's not the 20th century anymore.
>>
>>74105541
Even China knows the best solution.
>>
>>74104986
>>BLOW THE SHIP BY 25 PT LEAD AT HALF
>LETTING OTHER TEAM GET 25 LEAD BY HALFTIME
>>
>hockey goes into overtime
>team wins a face off
>take the puck all the way down and score

THAT'S NOT FAIR! THE OTHER TEAM DIDN'T GET A CHANCE WITH THE PUCK

And while we're at it, bring back the golden goal in divegrass
>>
>>74104748
Just stopping by to admire the GOAT
>>
>>74118006
Irrelevant because different sport
Whether you lose or win the neutral zone face-off, the whole team (offence and defence) is on the ice
>>
>>74104753
no offside
>>
>>74104753
Playing a better sport
>>
New over time rules. Coin toss, winner goes first.

Rules: Each offensive team must go head to head with their own defensive team for a 10 minute quarter.

Whichever team scores the most points chooses the next coin flip. The winner of the coin flip goes first.
Each defensive team must play offence against their own offensive team.

The highest scoring offensive or defensive team must play the highest scoring offensive or defensive team from the other team.

They flip a coin. Winner of the coin toss decides whether to attack or defend. 2 timeouts per team. If a field goal is scored the other team gets to attempt a drive. If they score a field goal then the next points win. A touchdown at any point outright wins the game.

Everyone who is unhappy with the winning team must bitch and moan on the internet and claim they suddenly have a problem with the rules.
>>
>>74114001
Not very comparable since turnovers are far more common in soccer
>>
>>74117790
>it's not the 20th century anymore.

Including the last quarter of it, when people other than Non-Ameri-Cucks acted like niggers din-du-nothin and are heroes. It's the 21st, when they get called on how shitty they are again.
>>
>>74105554
They couldn't call it that. Everybody would tackle Brady, the queer.
Thread posts: 375
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.