[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NFL tiebreaker analytics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: orly.png (48KB, 810x692px) Image search: [Google]
orly.png
48KB, 810x692px
Dearest /sp/,

I am told that the NFC's six playoff teams have all been clinched, with only seeding to be finalized. Three division champs are obviously in, and can't be caught by anyone in their respective divisions. Green Bay, Minnesota, and Seattle can't be caught in terms of record by anyone else in the NFC...

...but for the fact that it may happen that both Seattle and Atlanta finish 9-7. But apparently this is irrelevant, and I want to understand why, hence the analytics.

Suppose that Seattle and Atlanta both finish at 9-7. Then per the below, we must examine tiebreaker scenarios (where the two teams are not in the same division).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=tiebreakers

1) head-to-head (not applicable this year).
2) conference records (in the event that Seattle and Atlanta have tied records at the end of week 17, then they would also have tied 6-6 conference records, requiring...)
3) THE ABSTRUSE "COMMON GAMES" SCENARIO, which I mean to analyze with your help.

It's like in pic related. But notice how each side has a symmetric pair of division games which are conceivably "common" with the other side's single matchup with same.

The general question is: is this how "common games" are actually reckoned, or did I get something wrong/make wrong assumptions? The question has several angles (do the football gods always ensure such symmetric scenarios?)
>>
I'm going to bump this rather persistently for a bit, since I know it's an actual good question deserving of detailed discussion. The language about common games suggests that the 4+ thing is always baked in, since the next tiebreakers get more opaque (not being spelled out).
>>
aaand bump.
>>
another...
>>
>been around since 1976
>still playing games
They'll be fine
>>
>>64566074
why not just go to one of the tons of predictors and see if you can verify your result
>>
>>64566531

But do you know anything about common games analyses, anon?

Suppose that one side had not played any of the other teams in the others' division, etc. Or do the schedulers just bake in a certain symmetry these days?
>>
>>64566562

because I'm casual af and /sp/ is good for this type of thing sometimes.
>>
>>64566074
Atlanta is out for sure, I forget why, but Seattle has already clenched a playoff birth for some weird reason. I would look it up but I'm too lazy to google it for you.
>>
>>64566577
>>64566592
too casual to see that Minnesota has ten wins already retard?
>>
>>64566636

Now I know that you have totally missed the point of the thread, and that I can dismiss your opinion. The thing that you mentioned isn't even relevant, if you look and think a bit.

Because, the point of the thread is that Seattle has (apparently) clinched, while Atlanta is shut out. The hypothetical is not between either of these with Minnesota, but it can only involve these two against each other. And this, exactly because Minnesota already has ten wins.

And so the question is not so much a seeding question as it is a cutoff question. We have apparent knowledge of a cutoff, a shut-out, and that's what I want to understand.
>>
I don't understand the question
If you want to know h definition of common games its opponents that both teams faced on their schedules
Yes the divisional opponents are counted twice
If there isn't a minimum of 4 common games then the step is skipped entirely
It would be possible I forgot how though
>>
>>64566074
Yes this is guaranteed to happen with the way schedules are generated. Your 12 conference games are:
6 in division
4 vs. one particular other division
2 vs. the teams from the other 2 divisions that finished in the same position as you last year. That means that one of three things has to happen:
1)The two teams are in the same division and therefore have 12 or 14 games in common, depending on whether head-to-head = "in common"
2)The two teams finished in the same position in their divisions the previous year, which would force a single head-to-head game, which have broken this tie already
3)The teams finished in different positions in their divisions last year, and you get 6 games in common (the scenario in your image)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.