[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career thread? Career thread. 1. How much do you make per year

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: images.png (8KB, 334x151px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8KB, 334x151px
Career thread?
Career thread.

1. How much do you make per year (incl currency)?
2. Any bonus or additional retirement benefits?
3. What do you do?
4. How long have you been doing it?
5. In what country/region/state/whatev do you live?
6. Rate job satisfaction (1 - 10)
>>
>>24948452
>1. How much do you make per year (incl currency)?
125k US
>2. Any bonus or additional retirement benefits?
10% bonus potential - 7% 401k match (sort of)
Plug I got a 10k signing bonus
>3. What do you do?
Internet Security Eng
>4. How long have you been doing it?
13 years
>5. In what country/region/state/whatev do you live?
US/ GA
>6. Rate job satisfaction (1 - 10)
5 - new job, so not sure yet
>>
>>24948464
bumpan
>>
>>24948464
I do the same thing, work in InfoSec still stuck at 70k, and losing motivation to stay in the field. Current company/managers are shit tier

Bonus are good, and pay is ok but no chance for improvement in the same company and this department is treated like shit in the whole company
>>
>>24949352
Dude the market is EXPLODING. If you are not a complete autist you can find a better job.
>>
>>24949360
I'm at an ASOC trying to move up, "Advanced security operations center"

Basically manage all aspects of security/networks for clients all over the world.

I'm in Infosec, and specifically a security engineer at an internationally recognized company. The problem is all I do is investigate threats, large network config management on firewalls, vpn gateways, think of a large device at data centers which needs ipsec/ssl vpns to thousands of remote sites, ids, siem, vulnerability/scanning management, a shit ton of troubleshooting daily network issues, system migrations our clients need, figuring out why something doesn't work and using any tool I want, wireshark, splunk, propriety siem we have, controlling network traffic, securing/separating networks to the clients needs...

Do I go for a degree at this point, or keep slaving away?
>>
>>24949384
>Do I go for a degree at this point, or keep slaving away?
degree - HAHAHAHAHAHA

No, son.

I don't know the path for you at that company but it might be OUT of that company. I started out in the SOC (Managed Securtiy Services) handling sec incidents and health monitoring alerts, moved into executing FW/config changes and supervising the shift then into engineering/new deployments and then on from there.

I'd get a CISSP before a fucking degree any day. I sat in a room of smart moether fuckers for about 7 years and only half of them had a degree and NONE of them had IT degrees. Most were in business.

Get some vendor certs too. yeah it NEVER hurts to have Cisco but Palo Alto is HOT. Also, CLOUD, MOTHERFUCKER. CLOUD!!!
>>
>>24948452
No
>>
> About 20K CAD
> Yes I'll be given a large lump sum once my grandma passes away as a hold over until I find another job
3. What do you do?
> I take care of my grandma full time as a live-in helper
> About 3 years
> Canada
> 8 or so I guess

I don't make a lot of money but I also don't need to pay for rent, groceries, bills, etc so it's fine. I won't be doing this forever (obviously) but for now it's nice to be able to help my grandma (I've been living with her for 8 yrs now anyway) and it's also a job that causes me no stress, let's me sleep when I want, and honestly idk what I want to do as a career anyway so this was an easy option for now
>>
SF bay tech worker here.

My first job was in InfoSec, specifically a vulnerability management company. I entered as entry level customer support and was taking the most complicated escalations within a year. I got shafted by the company being bought/taken over, first salary increase was ~1.5 years into it; went from my entry salary of 50k to ~56k, apparently the highest percentage increase during the merger, which was about 5k below market rate for the title but about 20k below for what I was actually doing at that point. By then, I was fighting with engineering regarding escalations on a regular basis, including patches in bugs they never implemented, and most notably catching an sql injection vulnerability the day that version was to be released. I hit burn out and then Heartbleed destroyed what little will to live I had left; when I understood that their insulting ~1250 salary bump was all I would get for an entire year, the rage was too much and I left with 7 or 10 days of notice.

I am doing web development where I am the entire engineering department. I now make 72k; again about 20k below market rate for the title, surely even worse considering skillset/knowledge. I have some freedom, I arrive and leave work late because traffic is shit and generally am not firing on all cylinders of productivity so I don't make a fuss about the pay.

I think my first employer had some level of bonuses but I didn't get any due to the timing of the merger, it was announced a little over a month before my 1 year mark. The current employer nickel and dimes every financial decision (he's Jewish, lol) so there will never be any bonus for working there.

First 6-12 months of InfoSec was like an 8, it dwindled to 1 by the end. This web development thing ranges from 5-8 depending on the day.
>>
> 1. How much do you make per year (incl currency)?
€ 350k
in 2017 it is expected to be well over 1M; most coming from software licenses and one patent license i'll be selling
> 2. Any bonus or additional retirement benefits?
-
> 3. What do you do?
CEO small startup company making software for the construction sector
I do most of the work myself, but i'm desperately looking for talented employees.
> 4. How long have you been doing it?
a bit over 2 years; i'm 26
> 5. In what country/region/state/whatev do you live?
Belgium
> 6. Rate job satisfaction (1 - 10)
10; but i'm not planning on working this hard for the rest of my life
>>
>>24948452
$55k usd
don't qualify for benefits yet
>3. What do you do?
Bank systems programmer/security expert
6 months
Illinois
5-6, it pays the bills and is easy, but it has basically no room for promotion or raises from here
it also gets really boring to fix and look at 20-30 year old code all day
>>
>>24948452
I make 35k a year educating the youth of America. I've been doing it for 2 years. South eastern United States. I have zero health or retirement benefits. Overall job satisfaction is 8/10 but I need more money and benefits.
>>
File: 1487533476358.jpg (49KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1487533476358.jpg
49KB, 900x675px
>>24948452
37k CAN once I get my red seal I'll be making average 75k to 100k
Almost everything medical is 85% covered
3. What do you do?
Diesel mechanic apprentice
3 years, I'm 23 btw
Canada/Ontario
Light 7 to a strong 8

Being in this trade is like a bottle of wine, the longer I stay the more money I'll make. Plus I enjoy the labour feel satisfied going home after a long day
>>
>>24948452
1. 100 boxes of tendies
2. model train set
3. REEE on the internet
4. forever and always
5. USA
6. 6
>>
>>24953366
How much experience did you need before your first job? Bay area here too.

>>24949775
I'm a Finance major that has had 1.5 years of accounting work experience in SF. Is it possible to take the path like you did and start out small then go big in InfoSec(without relevant degree)?
>>
>>24956048
I have a degree in information systems (business version of computer science) but that really wasn't what got me hired. The main thing I learned at college that I use is the concept of programming, the rest was relatively useless / experience is more of value.

I got interested in computer security ~10 years prior and had a grasp of tools and concepts. I tinker and learn by doing, which is far more ideal than someone who reads a book to understand a system/tool. A big selling point was my interest in freebsd, as the primary tool I would support was based on it, and my strong understanding of sql. With the knowledge of programming, networking, and security tools I could have moved into something front-end (or minimally back-end) in an engineering department in infosec. That said, by that point my soul was already crushed by feeling the accomplishment of solving a problem one day only to have to start it all over again the next day because a new vulnerability came out or whatever.

The real important thing to consider about infosec is that it is repetitive and burnout can literally kill you.

PS: don't go work for whitehat, they will try and kill you with burnout even faster than I experienced, based on what a few people I know have said about them
>>
File: grrv.png (26KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
grrv.png
26KB, 527x409px
>>24948452
I don`t like viewing threads that makes people lie to strangers about their life to make themselves feel better.
>>
>>24956445
You really think someone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?

>>24956439
Damn that's a lot of prior interest. I'll do further research.
>>
>>24956602
>I have an engineering degree in engineering and make 400k a year
Fucking kill me.
>>
>1. How much do you make per year (incl currency)
£29k
Salary sacrifice for tech (got a ps4), 5% pension match, lots of training/trips out, company share scheme etc
>3. What do you do?
Software tester/QA for hugely classified MoD software.
18 months (was a helicopter flight simulator developer before this)
UK
7. Salary could be better but it's really chill. Not a lot of pressure and there's a fair bit of downtime.
>>
>>24956445
I like how people who don't like their lives assume ALL other people feel the same way.

That EVERYONE is doing as badly as them.

Even when I was miserable I didn't think that. I at least knew people were happy and did well. I just hated them for it.
>>
£55k
There is a small performance bonus and I'm on one of the few remaining final salary pension schemes
>3. What do you do?
Finance analyst for a major vehicle manufacturer
6 years this month
UK
9/10 lots of people I work with hate it and I don't understand why. The salary+pension is better than most industries except for oil and you can work 8-4 Mon-Fri and easily get all your work done.
>>
>>24956048
>I'm a Finance major that has had 1.5 years of accounting work experience in SF. Is it possible to take the path like you did and start out small then go big in InfoSec(without relevant degree)?

Absolutely, start in ops, learn, read, pass the cissp and jobs will find you.
>>
>>24957570
Takes two + years to qualify for the cissp though and you need to be sponsored, nobody in my dept has a cissp
>>
>>24957606
I wasn't suggesting you could do this in under two years. Sponsorship is not an issue, you can go on reddit and find a sponsor and once you start working sec they will be everywhere around you.

You work up to it. Get into ops and learn first. First level sec ops people don't have cissps

Also you can take the test and become and Associate of ISC2 and get your experience along the way and get upgraded to a full cissp later on.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.