[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think we will achieve a practical alcubierre drive or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: warp_drive_starship-640x353.jpg (47KB, 640x353px) Image search: [Google]
warp_drive_starship-640x353.jpg
47KB, 640x353px
Do you think we will achieve a practical alcubierre drive or some other way of effective space travel in the next 100 year or so?
>>
>>9169153
No. The Alcubierre Drive is merely a means of kiking GR into letting you go FTL using exotic matter that hasn't even been observed, much less synthesized in the quantities required. Even if we could synthesize it, using it to generate a bubble with the sub-atomic precision required to get away with only using several kgs of mass energy worth would be an engineering feat that would take a hundred years on its own.

The Alcubierre drive is nothing more than a distant dream at this point in time.
>>
>>9169153
we only need to create high density negative energy. once we can reverse entropy, it should be no problem.
>>
If it were possible, then it would have been built by aliens already and used to colonise the galaxy. Therefore, it's probably not possible.
>>
>>9169272
That's considering that intelligent life even exists, let alone was able to find earth. Given the fact that radio waves would take millions of years to reach other star systems, the odds of aliens finding earth are slim even with advance space travel.
>>
>>9169272
Even if there are a million sentient and FTL advanced civilisation out there (Which I think is a very generous number), the chance of two even being in the same GALACTIC CLUSTER is remote verging on non-existent. Not to mention this galaxy could have been colonised and ruled billions of years ago and not even dust would be left of most of it.
>>
>>9169272
>if farmers existed they would have already found that one needle molecule in the million-mile wide haystack

that being said alcuberry is scifi popsci bs
>>
>>9169272

What the others said, and also assuming that humans aren't the first ever technologically advanced species, somebody has to be first
>>
>>9169382
No its totally feasible. Simply creating the matter and engineering required to utilise it is beyond what we can currently do. But who knows in the future?
>>
>>9169384
We are probably not the first in the universe. Statistics prove it. Right now, what everyone said is acceptable IF we assume FTL isn't possible. But if it is possible, then it only takes one species to use it and the whole galaxy is colonised within a thousand years, plus other galaxies. I myself believe in the rare intelligence hypothesis, but when you throw in FTL, the fermi paradox just becomes absolute crazy. That we wouldn't see a single hint of aliens by now, not one scrap of evidence means FTL has to be impossible.
>>
Dunno. It's not a real thing. Ask me again in 200years.
>>
>>9169404
If you think it's something that could be done after a mere 200 years advancement of earth's current technology, then it stands to reason that any aliens that have been around for even 1000 years more than us would have built it already.
>>
>>9169393
my actual brain lmao, youre either assuming that FTL actually means near instantaneous travel to anywhere regardless of distance or you are grossly underestimating the size of the universe
>>
Where would you even want to go? Most places even on this planet suck, an we have colonised it for at least 10000 years.
>>
>>9169465
>>9169407
wasn't there a paper by some spanish guys that argued that even with sub-luminal travel a species using self-replicating probes could colonize the whole galaxy in a small amount of time?
Does that mean that self replicating probes are impossible too? Lmao.
>>
>>9169584
http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/ComparisonReproNov1980.htm
Here it is, my nigga Francisco Valdes at California.
Probes traveling at .1c would colonize the milky way in half a million years, kek.
>>
>>9169272
It's a big fucking galaxy out there. I doubt you even comprehend its scope
>>
>>9169465
You only think that because you're a dumb chimp. I do consider the size of the universe and consider FTL to mean anything up to a hairs breath over C and beyond. It still is not logical for aliens to not be detectable even if we assume their FTL "only" lets them go just a bit higher than C. The fermi paradox goes from "aliens probably do exist but we can't see them" to "WHERE THE FUCKING HELL IS EVERYONE" the moment you decide to consider FTL as possible.
>>
>>9169670
The bigger it is, the more likely it is that advanced aliens would exist and be seen. You would make more sense if you said the galaxy is a small one. It isn't, but I think you understand what I mean.
>>
>>9169272
Well, you sort of can travel faster than the speed of light from your own frame of reference. So you don't really need warp drive to explore and colonize. So lack of alien sightings could just imply scarcity of intelligent life capable of advanced science relative to the number of viable planets.
>>
File: 1504271251468.gif (761KB, 300x191px) Image search: [Google]
1504271251468.gif
761KB, 300x191px
>>9169584
>galaxy
This is the point you dingus, what about other galaxies, groups, clusters, super clusters. To say nothing of the fact that much of the universe is moving away from us faster than the speed of light. Yes the existence of FTL makes the fermi paradox quite a bit more fucked up, but no it does not logically follow that it is impossible. All I want is for people to apply some critical thinking and doubt on this board.
>>
>>9169272
>being this much of a shit eating retard
You do not fucking need FTL to colonize the galaxy, and you can colonize a significant portion within 10k-100k years, which in planetary timespans is fucking tiny

if aliens were out there, They'd already have the entire galaxy under their control long before we emerged, or do not exist at all because we are those very ancient one aliens
>>
>>9169535
Could go anywhere and harvest the resources from everywhere to many anything
disassemble a few systems and make a ringworld to jerk off on
>>
>>9169153
>this kind of """"science""""
Yeah brah we can "warp spacetime", all we have to do is find some "exotic matter".

Every time. This isn't science. I can claim that fairies are science, we just have to discover clapping magic with the same validity.
>>
File: welcome to sci.jpg (94KB, 736x1290px) Image search: [Google]
welcome to sci.jpg
94KB, 736x1290px
>>9170250
>critical thinking
>/sci/
there's less brain power here even at peak times then on /r9k/
>>
>>9170250
>fermi paradox
There is no "fermi paradox". It's just called human idiocy.

>DURR FUCKING HURRR HURR DURR Y NOT ALLIUMS USE LIGHT TO COMMUNICATE BETWEEN PWANETS DURRRRR
Gee, who can imagine why someone wouldn't do this? You know, except someone who could form a logical fucking thought.
>>
>>9170951
Well it is a blue board. They tend to attract a certain demographic (it's 12 year olds from reddit).
>>
File: 1455562999537.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1455562999537.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>
>>9170833
>tfw when we are the ancients and can make stargate a reality
>>
>>9169386
>but who knows in the future
That is why it is pointless to speculate on this shit. Worry about making sure there is a future first, then in your free time figure out if the thing is even possible.

Let's say I think we will, then what? Big woop, we are still no closer to actually getting it made. Nothing has progressed. Hell all it would do is get people hyped for a product that does not yet exist, which would then result in a lot of disappointed people when they realize they will die before it is made.

It is far more productive to claim it won't be achieved, so that the dreamers with the money can go out and attempt to prove the claim wrong.
>>
Alcubierre is an incredible asshole.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.