[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been told in the past that there are only 3 fundamental

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: siunits.jpg (14KB, 325x195px) Image search: [Google]
siunits.jpg
14KB, 325x195px
I've been told in the past that there are only 3 fundamental SI units (mass, time, and length) and all other forms of measurement were derived from those three. However after googling, it appears that there's 7?

Was I misinformed in the past? I'm far from an expert, but it seems like temperature, luminosity, and current could all be represented as forms of energy, which as Joules could be broken down into (kg*m^2)/s^2. And moles are just another form of mass?

Please be kind.
>>
After further googling wikipedia tells me ''Although the candela is now defined in terms of the second (an SI base unit) and the watt (a derived SI unit), the candela remains a base unit of the SI system, by definition."

So even though I'm right in that the candela is derived, it is still considered a base unit?
>>
>>9169051
Current is not energy, it's charge, so I don't think you can define an ampere as energy, since current i =dq/dt
>>
>>9169095

I guess I can see that, but now that I look up current (flow of a charge), isn't that just coulombs/second? Coulomb (charge) seems like the more fundamental unit.

Electricity is where I get really retarded, so I might actually just drop this path of thought at this point.
>>
>>9169087
Amperage is a measure of charge flow. Moles is simply a way of grouping mass that happens to be organized in particulate form.

The SI base units aren't really base units so much as they're convenient units to work in.

If you really wanted the base units, you would need length, time, energy, charge, and spin. There may be a few more, I'm not a physicist, but most of the properties we see are emergent from more fundamental quantum-mechanical phenomenon.

For instance, temperature is a byproduct of the kinetic energy of particles coupled with their electrostatic interactions holding them together. However, that's an inefficient way to think about it so we assign more convenient units like Temperature that are more readily observable and make intuitive sense.
>>
>>9169148
>Moles is simply a way of grouping mass that happens to be organized in particulate form

Although it's very convinient to use moles in terms of molecules, it's actually just a count of a particular thing, so you can use it as the "unitless" unit.

Spin is angular momentum, it doesn't need its own unit.

Also it's arguably better to start with mass and derive energy from that.
>>
>>9169320
Isn't most mass just associated with binding energy?
>>
>>9169353
>Isn't most mass just associated with binding energy?
u wot

Mass is an instrinsic property of elemental particles, it can be used interchangably with energy, though. A Joule is 1 kg m^-2 s^-2
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.